What was Buffy's finest hour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was Buffy's finest hour?

By that I mean, what was Buffy's greatest duty she performed for the sake of humanity as the Vampire Slayer. 'Splainy, please.
    "Prophecy Girl" - Slaying the ferocious vampire The Master
    1.37%
    "Becoming" - Averting the apocalypse by sacrificing her love
    35.62%
    "Graduation Day" - Defying the Watcher's Council; leading Sunnydale High against a massacre
    2.74%
    "Primeval" - Performing an unprecedented act by channelling her Slayer powers with her friends
    1.37%
    "The Gift" - Sacrificing herself for the world
    39.73%
    "Chosen" - Imbuing girls with the Slayer power; defeating The First's war; closing the Hellmouth
    19.18%
    Other
    0.00%
    sigpic

I vote The Gift. Becoming comes close, but ultimately doesn't quite cut it because in the final hour, she doesn't have to go up against all 3 big bad vamps, but just one. The ultimate sacrifice of Angel was noteworthy, but it really was her own personal sacrifices that she made in that episode--being expelled and leaving home--that makes it the whole package. If she had to get through Spike and Drusilla as well, then I'd probably vote for that episode.

When it came to the sacrifices that she would have to make in The Gift, she was looking at having to let her sister die so that the others could live. Coming to the realization of the meaning of the cryptic message of the primal Slayer was crucial. Even as early in the season as Fool for Love the sacrifice of her life was almost foretold. Spike said that all Slayers, Buffy included, have a death wish. Also in that episode, while researching the history of the Slayers, it is noteworthy that they weren't really able to find how any of the other Slayers died. This leads us to believe that their deaths were much like how the Slayers that Spike killed died--like how Buffy almost died earlier in that episode: unimportantly. At the hands of a vampire or demon when the Slayer just couldn't finish the job. So, in The Gift, she really has an opportunity to have her death really mean something. She succeeds, and, ultimately, although her power (and, to an extent, her life) was rooted in the powers of darkness, was rewarded by having her spirit exist in a heavenly dimension.

With Prophecy Girl and Graduation Day the stakes just weren't high enough, and with Chosen I can't help but think that making hundreds upon hundreds of Slayers in the world just be viewed as more of a "cost" than a "benefit" of their strategy to defeat the First (after all, if even one of them turns out like Faith, there could be serious problems).

Comment

I voted 'Becoming II.' I think that was her finest hour, and she's had many of them. Not because I think others were exceptional moments in this young girl's life, but just because I think it was the hardest sacrifice she had ever had to make, and she did it for the world.

I think it was harder for her to kill Angel than it would have been sacrificing herself, and that's what I'm judging this on mainly.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I voted The Gift, I mean there's nothing finer than sacrificing your own life for the world around you, but Becoming II camed a close second because Buffy battled with Angelus and then killed Angel when she could've just let Acathla destroy the world.
        sigpic

Comment

I went with Becoming, The Gift is also a big sacrifice ... but she did admit herself that she couldn't do again what she did in Becoming. I always believe that giving up the person you love the most is a worse sacrifice because after that you've to go on and live with the fact that you killed the person you loved the most. If you die youself, it's over ... you don't have to deal with what happens next.

Besides, when Buffy died ... the world was slayerless. Faith was in jail and there was no new slayer called.

Comment

I voted for The Gift. The fact she was willing to die for her sister, her friends and the world speaks volumes as to who this girl is. She wouldnt even kill human Ben because he was a human, knowng full well Glory would eventually return for payback. Like giles says 'She's a Hero, she's not like us' <3

To me The Gift is the epitome of Buffy.

Comment

I chose killing Angel in Becoming part two because although sacraficing herself was really noble and everything and was one of the great things she did i dont think it was for the best. There have been debates as to whether buffy sacrafice was a 'selfish' act and im not sure. Because yes she wanted to save the world and keep dawn from dying but she saw an 'easy' way out and took it. But killing Angel was harder than killing herself i think. Because slayers alway believe they are alone and finally buffy had found someone that she loves and he loves her back, so i think she killed her only person that she didnt feel alone with at some points during there relatioship. Sorry if this didnt make sense but i voted Buffy killing Angel. x

Comment

Originally posted by TheSlayerInMe View Post
                I chose killing Angel in Becoming part two because although sacraficing herself was really noble and everything and was one of the great things she did i dont think it was for the best. There have been debates as to whether buffy sacrafice was a 'selfish' act and im not sure. Because yes she wanted to save the world and keep dawn from dying but she saw an 'easy' way out and took it. But killing Angel was harder than killing herself i think. Because slayers alway believe they are alone and finally buffy had found someone that she loves and he loves her back, so i think she killed her only person that she didnt feel alone with at some points during there relatioship. Sorry if this didnt make sense but i voted Buffy killing Angel. x
                I understand what you mean. I was gonna say in my post about how Buffy killing herself can be seen as selfish, and I think its understandable for her choosing an easy way out. This quote pretty much sums up her state of mind and also about the Angel thing

*BUFFY: I loved him so much. But I knew ... what was right. I don't have that any more. I don't understand. I don't know how to live in this world if these are the choices. If everything just gets stripped away. I don't see the point. I just wish that... I just wish my mom was here.*

I dont know about suicide but Ive never considered the sacrifice as that. I dunno if it'd be harder to take your own life rather than a loved one, so I agree with you on the Buffy killing Angel part. but overall I choose The Gift.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                  Besides, when Buffy died ... the world was slayerless. Faith was in jail and there was no new slayer called.
                  I get that, maybe Buffy just assumed that because she'd died again then another slayer would instantly be called, but nevertheless she still died not knowing what was going to happen to her friends and sister, for all she knew a worst evil was yet to come and they would all die because she'd sacrificed herself instead of Dawn, leaving the world Slayerless.

Also, sidebar, would Chosen count as one of Buffy's finest hours? I know she thought of the concept of using the Scythe, but technically it was Willow who pulled it off, if she had failed or not been able to then Faith, Buffy, Spike and the potentials would have all died, it was because of Willow the spell actually worked and would therefore be one of her finest hours, right?
                  sigpic

Comment

It should be her finest hour in Chosen. But they made such a mess of the season and finale that I still think that it was one of her worst moments. My hate for the empowerment spell is well known here.

I'm afraid that Buffy was never a better and stronger person than she was in Becoming. And the show could never top that moment, it tried and had some fantastic moments ... but it was never as great as the second half of season 2, the show and the character Buffy.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      Also, sidebar, would Chosen count as one of Buffy's finest hours? I know she thought of the concept of using the Scythe, but technically it was Willow who pulled it off, if she had failed or not been able to then Faith, Buffy, Spike and the potentials would have all died, it was because of Willow the spell actually worked and would therefore be one of her finest hours, right?
                      I don't personally count it as one of her finest hours, because even now in season 8 during the episode 'A Beautiful Sunset' she is pondering the ramifications of what they did in 'Chosen' and is unsure about it herself if it was a good or bad thing. Season 8 is doing really well at dealing with the consequences of Buffy's decision and showing both sides of the argument. We had 'No Future For You' with psycho slayer Gigi, and 'A Beautiful Sunset' showing slayers going rouge but also slayers embracing the good qualities and having a family together at the end of the episode.

I think it's one of Buffy's most 'grand' hours and life altering hours in terms of being revolutionary to the world and changing her life and her responsibilities forever, but not her finest personally.

I determined her finest by all the things surrounding it, the repercussions of her actions and the strength and resilience needed to make the decision she did. And whilst ‘Chosen’ was revolutionary and life changing I don’t think it took as much emotional strength as say ‘Becoming’ which is what I voted for, or ‘The Gift’ which was very close behind for me.

In those moments I think Buffy truly stopped and took it all in, the gravity of what she was doing, the consequences of her actions and she did them anyway. With the slayer spell I think it was far more a case of "we have to do this it is our only shot at surviving this thing" and left it until a year and a half later (season 8) to really take it and weigh in the gravity of her decision and some of the positive and negative consequences attached to it.

Just to be clear I don’t think the empowerment spell was necessarily bad at all like the wonderful Nina does above me It was either make all these girls slayers against their will or let all these girls die along with everyone else on the planet instead. No brainer for me.
                      Last edited by vampmogs; 30-06-08, 12:55 PM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I would have voted for Innocence if it was there... also see Checkpoint and The Freshman as great Buffy character episodes.
                        But with this list I went with Prophecy Girl.. sort of an odd choice I guess, but I just love when Buffy falls down and gets back up stronger. Also does the season one finale remind anyone else of the Matrix? ..nope just me then
                        sigpic

Comment

It may not have been her finest moment but I do like Showtime in which Buffy finally took on and destroyed the Torukan in font of the potentials, so that they could see a monster get beat by a girl.

For the first time the girls could see the possibility of victory.It is a shame that Season 7 was so badly constructed, because Showtime should have been a turning point in the war ,and in the potentials confidence in their chief.

Comment

I went with Becoming. We've seen that when Buffy loves someone, she does it with all she's got, going so far as to lie to and (to an extent) even ignore her friends for that person. I realize many would view that as a serious character flaw in her, but I personally find it very difficult to be critical of that because I'm exactly like her in that particular aspect. That scene carries an emotional punch for me because I get to thinking that if I was in her position, I would not be able to do what she did.

I really think, given how fervently Buffy is capable of loving people, that it was much easier for her to give her own life so that others can be happy than it was for her to kill the love of her life so that the world can be safe. She didn't just sacrifice Angel, she didn't just let him die - she pushed that sword through him herself. Like TheSlayerInMe said, Slayers are almost always alone, and even having found someone to share her life with, Buffy gathered her strength and stuck to her duty by sacrificing her own emotional and psychological well-being and balance, all for the sake of the world. It was an incredibly selfless act.

Comment

I went with Becoming, I've always thought it was much harder to kill the person she loved the most (pre Dawn) rather to die for the person you love the most (Dawn in the gift). Plus on The Gift she didn't kill Ben which she really should have done, I get why in the story she didn't, but Ben wasn't exactly innocent in the end of it all. She didn't know what Giles was going to do/was doing. Plus personally I just wanted her to chuck Dawn into that vortex, but alas it wasn't to be.

Comment

Ultimately, the reason why I believe the sacrifice was greater in The Gift is because in Becoming Buffy knew that the apocolypse that was coming was due to the actions of Angel, even if it was evil Angelus, it was still him. Sacrificing an innocent (Dawn) was just too much for her to do. After she'd died, her perspective on everything changed, and that's why in season 7 she admited to Giles that she would sacrifice Dawn.

Comment

The sacrifice in Becoming may have been in itself harder than the one in The Gift, but I still think that the events on the tower (and everything leading up to them) were Buffy's finest hour(s), partly because of her fierce defense of Dawn beyond even the world, and partly because the whole thing fit together so beautifully, with hints and thematic elements from the beginning. Although Buffy had to go through an agonizing decision process in "Becoming part 2," she spent even longer in turmoil over Dawn, and IMO ultimately paid more in psychological distress for the whole affair than for killing Angel (which was not entirely the cause for Buffy's running away, although it was a huge part of it). Her defense of Dawn throughout later season 5 is comparable to Mal's protection of River in "Serenity." Plus, I won't lie, good-Angel on Buffy never seemed like a fleshed-out enough character to seriously care about, even just in relation to Buffy.
                                  Buffy: It sounds like it's difficult for you. Maybe your sister makes it hard for you to establish your own identity. You said she's controlling, she doesn't let you make your own decisions -
                                  Dawn: Yeah, and she borrows my clothes without asking.

Comment

Becoming. It is harder to sacrifice someone you love than to sacrifice yourself for the greater good. Prophecy Girl comes at a close second. At 16 she had everything to live for, and she was ready to give that up to protect a world that did not even understand her for who she was. After Prophecy Girl comes The Gift. I place this further down the line because the choice she made was less painful the one she made in season 1; this time she saw the consolation prize in death and recognized it as her gift. Also, she had a choice: it didn't have to be her; it could have been Dawn. In fact, what she chose was not the most strategic move to play. If she had sacrificed her little sister, then she would been able to survive to avert another apocalypse (remember, no foresight into being brought back) or least continue the day-to-day demon slaying that Dawn definitely could not do in her stead. What she chose was Dawn over the greater good.
                                    Last edited by ImNotTheBigBad; 01-07-08, 06:55 AM.

Comment

I went for Chosen. I think that although Buffy did sometimes resent being the Slayer, it defined her in a way that nothing else in her life could. By spreading that power and making herself not so unique, she sacrificed a part of her identity, and I believe that that, more than sacrificing life, shows heroic behaviour.

Comment

I went with "Chosen", I think it was her finest hour because, even though a lot happened to get there, well, she did, she managed to reach a place in her life when she finally started to accept being The Slayer and what it meant, and also to accept the people around her. She leaned not to be victim of circumtances but instead to fight to change things and make them better. I think in Chosen, leading an army, training other girls, facing her worst fears she opened up and grew up. She became an adult, so that's her finest hour, for me.

The second place, I'd give it to "The Gift", sacrificing her own life for her sister and the world.

Comment

Working...
                                        X