Buffy would never do that! Except for sometimes you do that - OOC moments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy would never do that! Except for sometimes you do that - OOC moments

In other threads people often mention moments when one or another character appears completely out of character. Personally, for me, Giles when he first arrives in Sunnydale in season seven is completely out of character. Specifically, the let's all give up speech he gives after Buffy gets beaten up by the Ubervamp. So what are the moments you see? When do feel like the characters just aren't themselves? When are the worst examples? And when, alternatively, do you see potentially OOC behavior as simply a new turn in a character's development or a new layer of depth that had not been brought out before?
    sigpic

http://buffysmom.wordpress.com/

Xander in OMWF, he summoned Sweet. Sweet killed people and first he acts like he didn't do or know anything and after that he just doesn't care.

I agree about Giles in season 7 as well. They wanted to do (a very cheap) twist, so they just forgot about Giles' character.

I'm not sure what to think about LMPTM, sometimes I want to call it all OOC, but I'm not sure ...

Hank was OOC when he became the deadbeat dad ... really, he was such a great dad in the first seasons.

Angel in Chosen; Who the hell was that guy?

I know this is Ats, but I've to mention it:
    The Girl in Question, OOC Angel and slightly OOC Spike just for the cheap laughs.
    Last edited by Nina; 10-06-08, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Angel in Chosen; Who the hell was that guy?
      Exactly. The character had just come from a very dark and depressing story arc, involving him having to give up his only son Connor, only to turn up on Buffy regressed back 5 years to happy quippy Angel, apparently without a care in the world, and no nod to what had happened only hours earlier?

Comment

Nina named a lot of major ones, and she's right -- you can count 7.17 "Lies My Parents Told Me" in its entirety. To this, I would add 7.19 "Empty Places".

I'd say Xander being spastically afraid of "The Zeppo" zombie guy and useless in a fight and all was OOC... it's as if Season 2 never happened.

I think Buffy's sudden burst of fatalism in "Help", even after losing Cassie, was pretty unlike her.
        sigpic
        Banner by LRae12

Comment

I don't actually count LMPTM as out of character for Giles (tho...the whole ep is just so bad it's hard to tell), because I think I do see in him a desire to protect Buffy from what he sees as the hard but necessary decisions. Ben being the primary example, but from season 8,
          Spoiler:
          the whole NFFY arc definitely seemed to agree.

Definitely re Angel in chosen...good one, I completely forgot about that one.
          sigpic

http://buffysmom.wordpress.com/

Comment

The only one I can think of is also in "Lies My Parents Told Me," in which Buffy admits to Giles that knowing what happened in the last couple years, she would kill Dawn in "The Gift."
            That totally goes against everything Buffy and Dawn were founded upon in season 5 to 7. It just doesn't make sense: it was her gift. I have absolutely no idea where the writers were going for with this statement. The thought of that scene makes me so upset; I wish I could just forget it. From now on I will deny anyone here who tells me that Buffy ever said such a thing in the show. ''Buffy said whaaa?''
            sigpic

Comment

Empty Places. Hated how they had every single character (minus Spike and Andrew who were away) turn against Buffy in such a manner. It seemed too off and didn't ring true at all.
              Made by Trickyboxes
              Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by sueworld View Post
                Exactly. The character had just come from a very dark and depressing story arc, involving him having to give up his only son Connor, only to turn up on Buffy regressed back 5 years to happy quippy Angel, apparently without a care in the world, and no nod to what had happened only hours earlier?
                People mention that and usually Willow in Orpheus but I don't know. It already happenend to me, I feel bad or sad or whatever and seeing people out of my zone or old friends and all makes me better or it's just that sometimes you don't want people to know you feel bad. Willow wasn't gonna come to LA and say, my life suck, I'm afraid of magics, you don't want people to pity you which give you a big dose of self-estime and confidence. That's why I never considered Angel in Chosen and Willow in Orpheus as OOC. Do I make sense?
                sigpic

Comment

I understand what you mean ... but somehow I don't feel that they are faking ... Willow can't fake that she isn't afraid for magic anymore and Angel can look sad and nobody thinks that it's weird. In both situations, they have a role to play in the big story and their problems on the other show don't matter. It works if you watch one of the two series, but when you watch both .. it feels OOC.

Comment

angel might have even been coming from a happy moment with connor. it was bittersweet, but i think he was happy that connor was safe and had a new start on life. i think that partly made angel happy, though sad because he couldn't raise his son.

don't think of his mindset being stuck on the jasmine arc. think of him watching the reillys have a normal dinner as being in his thoughts.

and remember what angel said in the sewers about cordelia? he was the one telling the gang to forget about her (fred was the most critical of the forget and move on philosophy--angel was the first to remove cordy from his thoughts). he also told them to forget about connor when they left him behind.

Fred: Oh, god. All, all the chasing and the chaos...
                    Wesley: Cordelia.
                    Fred: I can't believe I almost forgot about her.
                    Angel: Do it. Forget about her. We all have to now. We don't have a choice. Minute's up.
                    angel cares about people, but he moves on when he's lost them. the problem with buffy is he never got a clean break with her--so he still has hope. she even offered him more hope. he fully believed that cordy and connor were already gone. he had moved on from having a future with them in sacrifice. he even stated such. it was over with both of them when they were running into the sewers.

remember how old angel is. he expects that he will outlive everyone he loves. to expect and accept loss is how he copes.
                    Last edited by NileQT87; 11-06-08, 04:21 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                    "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

People mention that and usually Willow in Orpheus but I don't know. It already happenend to me, I feel bad or sad or whatever and seeing people out of my zone or old friends and all makes me better or it's just that sometimes you don't want people to know you feel bad. Willow wasn't gonna come to LA and say, my life suck, I'm afraid of magics, you don't want people to pity you which give you a big dose of self-estime and confidence. That's why I never considered Angel in Chosen and Willow in Orpheus as OOC. Do I make sense?
                      I find Orpheus Willow much more like her old (S1-5) self than her S6-7 self. I don't really see Orpheus as OOC, but more....reverse OOC? I think that Orpheus Willow is more IC than Seasons 6-7 Willow.

And as far as Chosen Angel goes, I just fanwank that he's just using this trip to Sunnydale as a way to escape. He's in so much pain right now that it's much easier for him to just forget about it, and try to be who he was for Buffy, than to actually cope and deal with what he's going through. It also works for me because then I can just pretend that he's faking his feelings for Buffy because he wants to get back to his pre-LA self.

One of my most hated OOC moments is in Provider, when Angel refuses to help Sam fight off the vampires because Sam can't pay him. It seems like the writers forgot about the entirety of Season One, where Angel refused countless times to receive any sort of compensation for saving people. I get that he loves Connor, but it's not like he's overnight become apathetic to the plights of others. Grrr.
                      The story's kinda bland. It's about this guy named Dumbledore Calrissian who needs to return the ring back to Mordor.

Comment

Originally posted by Weredog View Post
                        The only one I can think of is also in "Lies My Parents Told Me," in which Buffy admits to Giles that knowing what happened in the last couple years, she would kill Dawn in "The Gift."
                        That totally goes against everything Buffy and Dawn were founded upon in season 5 to 7. It just doesn't make sense: it was her gift. I have absolutely no idea where the writers were going for with this statement. The thought of that scene makes me so upset; I wish I could just forget it. From now on I will deny anyone here who tells me that Buffy ever said such a thing in the show. ''Buffy said whaaa?''
                        'Lies My Parents Told Me' contradicts a lot about what they set up in the show. As you said, the fact that dying was Buffy's gift and she understood this, and that a slayer "chooses" the mission which is just beyond stupid. It was a horrible, horrible episode.

I agree about Angel seeming OOC in 'Chosen' though I agree with Nile and others to an extent in saying he was able to be a bit happier because he was in Sunnydale and able to get his mind off things for a while. I can actually fully understand and buy that, don't have a problem with it.

The same with Willow to an extent in 'Orpheus' only what I find OOC is that she isn't afraid of using magic, which I can't really fanwank very easily at all.

Other things;

Giles season 7- as other's have mentioned in 'Bring on The Night' when we hear him talking to the Scoobies about how Buffy may die from internal bleeding. Such bad writing, he'd never say this, especially not so casually, and Buffy's taken worse beatings so it doesn't even make sense and his character would know that.

Xander in 'OMWF'- He wouldn't sit there pretending to investigate about what was causing people to 'burn up and dying' when he knew exactly what caused it. That's just bloody bad writing. In season 2 he goes straight to Giles when he realises the love spell backfired and fesses up straight away.

Xander in 'Wolves At The Gate-' The idea he'd have been writing to Dracula after season 5 is beyond stupid. Thankfully I've been able to fanwank this one as Andrew embellishing as he always does, as Xander never once reciprocated any affection for Dracula that the vamp did for him which is far more in Xander's character of hating vampires.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I've noticed a lot of statements about Xander in OMWF. It is my firm belief that Xander honestly didn't know that he had caused it all. We have seen countless times that books relating to magic and demon-summoning can be vague at the best of times, and mainly just plain cryptic. He says at the end that he just wanted a happy ending. Perhaps that is all the spell-book said? Maybe he only realised it was him that caused it when he saw the pendant on Dawn and recognised it.

Comment

Willow's hatred of Faith. It's quite strange she seems to have a blind spot when it comes to Faith and finds it really hard to like her. You can understand why but others many more horrific acts than Faith yet she forgives them. Eg Spike "raping" buffy
                            "I never learned from a man who agreed with me.'" Robert Heinlen

Comment

Originally posted by Revan View Post
                              Willow's hatred of Faith. It's quite strange she seems to have a blind spot when it comes to Faith and finds it really hard to like her. You can understand why but others many more horrific acts than Faith yet she forgives them. Eg Spike "raping" buffy
                              I don't think we can say that Willow "forgave" Spike's attempted rape of Buffy, if for no other reason that we never see her find out about it. She certainly never even acts or reacts like she was told about it. She's not told about it in Seeing Red, and the rest of the season she's pretty much in DarkWillow mode, too busy trying to kill the Trio and destroy the world. And in season 7, the only time(s) it's mentioned are with only the characters we can say know about it: Spike, Buffy, Xander, and Dawn. I'm pretty sure the writers tried to minimize mentioning it AND who knew about as much as they could because they wanted no objections from either the characters or the audience about Spike's Path of Redemption.

Comment

Were there any instances of Faith-hating on the part of Willow in season 7? I don't recall any, but correct me if I'm wrong. I think Willow especially disliked Faith because she felt Faith was stealing her best friend (in season 3) and leading her down a very risky path of very risky decisions in addition to, you know... killing people, but by the time ATS season 4 and Buffy season 7 came in, Willow got over her hatred of Faith after she saw that the girl really was trying to make up for all the crap she'd put everyone through. Just my two cents.

And I agree about Empty Places. Usually it's just one character that acts unlike themselves at a time, but they really threw a party in the closing scenes of that episode.

Have to say I disagree about Giles in Lies My Parents Told Me, though. I don't think it's at all OOC for him to make the decisions he thinks are hard decisions that need to be made, all the while protecting Buffy from them.

Comment

Working...
                                X