• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ashtroboy
    Hellmouth Tourist
    • Jun 2008

Bring Buffy Back

Hi, my name is Ash. I guess you could call me a Buffy fan.
    I have a Buffy "B" tattooed under my left arm, just below my armpit.
    I guess I really can say Buffy is close to my heart.. ("he had to split" corny laugh).
    I got the tattoo mid season 6, though I knew much much earlier that I was a hardcore fan. (Yes I watched the original movie at the cinema, then rented it relentlessly, then finally bought a copy, only to get goosebumps when buffy swung herself up onto the beam.. then bamb down to pounce angel with a "why are you following me"..)

So that's how it started, and now I'm currently easing my withdrawal with Buffy Season 8 comics, and with a drive I can only blame/thank Joss for.
    I want more.

I write these words in an attempt to revive the passion of true Buffy fans everywhere.. after all, passion.. it lies in all of us.. watching..waiting ; )

There are so many forums and websites, fan clubs, social groups, within multiple generations and nationalities waiting in gleeful anticipation for the coming of Dollhouse, but I know the original spark stems from where it all began for me.. Buffy.

I want Joss and the scooby gang, to
    BRING BUFFY BACK
    So I invite you to have a read below, and make up your own mind.

It turns out rumors of Buffy's cinematic reincarnation may have been slightly exaggerated.
    ''There is no new Buffy movie,'' says Whedon.
    ''It's a fantasy that we may realize, but not for a long while.
    The show takes too long [to make].
    But it's in the back of my head. It could be cool.''

What would Whedon hope to achieve with a second Buffy feature?
    ''Not to make a big, crappy, two-hour episode of television,'' he cracks.

Sarah Michelle Gellar on movie possibilities and the Sex & The City Movie:
    "I have to be honest. That thought really scares me. Buffy was a movie and it didn't work because her story was longer than that.",
    Gellar said. "This was about a girl that you had to get to know and it took so long to figure out how to crack the ending so that people weren't upset. Of course I never say never, so I'm not saying no, but my fear would be to open something like that up again, to only end it again.

"Sex & The City is such a great ending, so I'm curious to
    see now how they're going to open it up and how to shut it for us again.
    I feel like when a show you love ends, you have like a mourning period,
    so do you open yourself up to that again, to wanting it but knowing
    it's going to end ? That whole thing worries me a little bit."

Seth Green on a 2nd Buffy movie:
    "In fact, I'd love to do it. But you know, I couldn't actually be Buffy.
    I don't kick like her [Sarah Michelle Gellar], and quite frankly,
    I don't bring in the crowd. I think it has something to do with her exceptional
    figure and gorgeous face."

David Boreanaz: Q&A
    Q: Its been a while since you were asked this, i wana know if there has been any more talk of a buffy ...
    A: after much research it has been shown that there will not be a movie on Buffy or Angel, maybe ...

Q: Look Angel is a great series and ending it like that is not cool So will there be a movie of ANGEL?
    A: There has been a lot of talk about the possibilities of an Angel movie... so far, nothing as come ...

Alyson Hannigan on Buffy movie rumours:
    "I had heard so many rumors and when he [Whedon] talked to me, it was going to be Spike [featured in the first movie]. It's always up in the air, but it's never been a serious conversation."
    As to whether she would be interested in revisiting Willow at some point, Hannigan remarked, "I don't know. The thing is, I would absolutely do it if Joss were involved, but he's so busy. Wonder Woman is going to take up a lot of his time. I wouldn't want it to just sort of be thrown off and 'Oh, hey, this guy you've never met is gonna do it'. If it were Joss writing and directing, absolutely but is Joss gonna write and direct it? No." As for the continuing fandom Buffy has, Hannigan said, "It's amazing, the support it [still has], and it's wonderful. And the longer that we're away from it and people still care, it sort of makes me even more scared about returning to it, because I would hate to mess it up. Like 'Hey, it's been seven years, we're going do something!' 'Oh, it sucks? Sorry? I just totally ruined Willow. Sorry.' She's more and more cherished every year. The more she's a memory, the harder it would be to bring her back, I think."

Michelle Trachtenberg on a Buffy movie:
    I'm sure that there was tons of talk. I'd heard something here and there. The thing that I never want to play a character again? I don't mean any disrespect for the creators and producers of my previous projects because I never pick a project carelessly. I always have some heart attached to it. "Buffy" was my all-time favorite show before I was on it. So I loved Dawn. She was an awesome character and that was where I was at that point in my life. I was, you know, 14-17, which is hugely different. I'm almost 20 now. I'll be 20 in October, so reprising a character is something? Never say never. As opposed to a sequel for this - the story would have to be amazing because I really feel so proud of what we have on the screen right now. It's not a Disney kitschy movie. It's a heartfelt, loving story. And to have anything less than that as a sequel would be doing a disservice to the original story. So you never know.

Joss on tv movies and the reunion inspiring him to one day do something again with Buffy..
    ''I had been thinking about doing some TV movies based on Buffy characters, but we could never get anything resembling financing together that was realistic, so it fell by the wayside," Whedon said. "But that whole failed endeavor made me start thinking about what would happen next, and what the stories and mythology would be. I realized there was a lot to say, and it could make for a really fun comic book.''

I never don't think that, but I also [think about] the legal reality of the thing and the busyness of all our schedules ? I'm happy to say they're all working and so am I. It didn't make me think about it more, because it's always part of me. I'll never let go of the story. I'm still working on the damn comic! But the reality of the thing is so complicated that I'm like, if somebody comes to me and says, "Everybody's signed on and it's all good?" Otherwise, it would just be like I'd start to obsess about it. I shut it down, because I will break that story, and I've got to stop myself.

But we have already learnt this lesson.. You can't stop the signal..

SERENITY
    The film was released in North America on September 30, 2005 by

Universal Pictures. It received generally positive reviews and opened at
    number two, taking in $10.1 million its first weekend, spending two weeks in
    the top ten, and totaling a domestic box office gross of $25.5 million and a
    foreign box office gross of $13.3 million. Serenity won film of the year
    awards from Film 2005 and FilmFocus. It also won IGN Film's Best Sci-Fi, Best Story and Best Trailer awards and was runner up for the Overall Best Movie. It also won the Nebula Award for Best Script for 2005, the 7th annual 'User Tomato Awards' for best Sci-Fi movie of 2005 at Rotten Tomatoes, the 2006 viewers choice Spacey Award for favorite movie, the 2006 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form and the 2006 Prometheus Special Award.

Serenity
    is a rare occurrence in the industry: a short-lived TV show continued as a major motion picture.

Joss did it with Serenity. Firefly was canceled, and based on fans' demand, Serenity was made possible..

Joss.. do you doubt him?

The Man who's writing portfolio includes..

Roseanne (1989)
    Parenthood (1990)
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer (movie) (1992)
    Toy Story (1995)
    Alien: Resurrection (1997)
    Titan A.E. (2000)
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer (2000)
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997-2003)
    Firefly (2002-2003)
    Angel (1999-2004)
    Serenity (2005)
    Dollhouse (2009)

Buffy the Movie
    Angel the Movie
    Buffy Season 8 the movie
    What happened between Season 7 and 8 of Buffy
    Fray the movie

"You're the Slayer and we're, like, the Slayerettes."
    "It's like a whole new world"
    "I didn't come here to fight! //thud// Ooh! Oh right, I did!"

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away."
    "Clark Kent has a job. I just want to go on a date."

"Love. it makes you do the wacky"
    "I don't take orders. I do things my way." "No wonder you died."
    "My buds are here! I love my buds!"
    "Needs should definitely be met, as long as it doesn't require ointments the next day."
    "Come on, we fight monsters, this is what we do. They show up, they scare us, I beat them up, and they go away."

"Those who can do. Those who can't laugh at those who can do."

In every generation there is chosen one.. Bring it Joss

Do you want a Buffy-verse movie - whatever form that may be?
    If you want a Buffy movie, send your thoughts to:

email Fox Studios Australia

email Fox Studios America

email Universal Pictures Australia

email Universal America

And be sure to reply.
    Enough feedback here, will result in more speculation, and more focus...

"Want, take, have.."

x

ash ~+~
  • skinless
    Best Friends
    • Sep 2007

Sorry Ahstroboy, But I dont think that it will ever happen (Im a pessimist). But if it did I would be first in line, and would wait for days just to get in the theater or Store to Watch/Buy this movie.
    sigpic

Comment

• ashtroboy
      Hellmouth Tourist
      • Jun 2008

well..

i guess people were thinking the same thing about Firefly.

Then a selected few that wanted it bad enough, mad a difference.

And then there was Serenity..

Are you ready to be strong?

~+~

Comment

• lee
        Banned
        • May 2008

Id love it to happen but doubt it will. The longer
        they leave it, the less likely it will be. I mean, even Eliza Dushku knocked back a Faith Spinoff.
        I dont think they'll ever get everyone on boards, unfortunatly.

Comment

• Revan
          Hellmouth Tourist
          • Apr 2008

If it's going to happen it'll be after the comics. At least another year or two.
          "I never learned from a man who agreed with me.'" Robert Heinlen

Comment

• Nina
            and her haircut.
            • Nov 2007

Didn't Joss say that if he got the possibility to make a Buffy movie, that he would stop with the comics and that the comics aren't canon anymore?

Comment

• Hekate
              Hellmouth Tourist
              • Jun 2008

He said he could throw them out, but I don't think he would stop them mid-production. It's not like him to leave a story unfinished. I personally think a movie would make for a better story anyway (not that I'm keeping my hopes up). And then, hey, two Buffy plotlines to pick from! Unless they did a prequel, or a spinoff that meshed with Season 8.

The moderator, TV Guide critic Matt Roush, then asked the big question: Might Whedon and the cast ever reunite for a new Buffy project, whatever form it might take? Said Whedon, "There's so many stars that would have to align, but there's a reason I worked with all of these people for so long. They're awfully talented. Clearly, from the comic book, it's a story that I can't let go. I think it would be really cool."

The comic books are exploring "Season 8" of the Buffy story, and Whedon was asked if he'd try to use the storyline from the comic books as canon should he make another Buffy live action story. Whedon replied "Hypothetically, if you could make things align, that would be fun. I wrote the comic Fray -- and it took place 200 years in the future -- thinking 'There's no way this can every affect the show, and so it'll be safe.' And then we ended up using a little bit ? [Buffy's] scythe is from the comic book. And so I felt some obligation to work in that mythology and it would be lovely to make it all tie in. But if I had to shoot down everything that I'm doing in the comic because we were doing a project filming with these actual people, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep."
              Here's the linky: http://tv.ign.com/articles/861/861435p2.html

All my Paleyfest goodies are still bookmarked.

Comment

• lara
                Hellmouth Tourist
                • Mar 2008

A Buffy movie 'sighs' I'd love that! I'd like to think positive and say, yey let's hope it'll come soon. But you know Sarah... so probably we won't be seeing one anytime soon.

Comment

• lee
                  Banned
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                  Didn't Joss say that if he got the possibility to make a Buffy movie, that he would stop with the comics and that the comics aren't canon anymore?
                  Omg, really, he said this?
                  i always felt that while the comics were good, they shouldnt be canon.
                  If Joss really means this, then i am very happy.

Comment

• holypotatoes
                    H.B.I.C.
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by lee View Post
                    Omg, really, he said this?
                    i always felt that while the comics were good, they shouldnt be canon.
                    If Joss really means this, then i am very happy.
                    Yeah I don't take the comics as canon either. And I actually don't want a Buffy movie to be honest. I agree with SMG when she says it was a movie and it didn't work. Although I happen to love the cheesefest that is Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie. I say leave the story as it ended. Don't add anything to it, especially not the comics since I don't really feel they have been up to par with the aired episodes. Besides, even if they used what happened in the comics in a movie, the movie would be soooooo full of the fantasy element and I would hate for the show to turn that way.

Season 8 spoilers:
                    Spoiler:
                    I mean with Willow flying everywhere and now Buffy going into the future to meet Fray or however that will work out. I just think it'll make the movie more campy and comic book like, than the show really was.
                    T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Comment

• lee
                      Banned
                      • May 2008

I couldnt agree more. I hate the way since s6, the show went all superheroey,
                      And it was so much more far fetched than the early seasons.
                      I dont think a movie would work. I dont think SMG, Boreanaz or alyson hannigan would come back anyway.
                      But i do think a set of mini series's would work.
                      Imagine a series with Faith, Giles and Xander as the main 3. That would work
                      and these actors i imagine would be up for it.

Comment

• sueworld
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2007

Yep, same here, and thats one of the reason why I've given up reading them.
                        As to any kind of movie or series, I doubt that we will see any kind of 'product' for a good few years yet, maybe never.

Strangely enough I could see a rebooted series being made using a whole new cast playing the old roles somewhere along the line.

Comment

• lee
                          Banned
                          • May 2008

I think they would maybe have to take the show
                          in a whole new direction. They should keep it 'Buffyverse', obviously, but
                          something with all new characters.
                          Maybe something like Fray.

Comment

• KingofCretins
                            What?
                            • May 2007

Joss said that at Paley and actually took some heat for it from his paying, monthly audience who wouldn't be buying the book if it weren't canon. Of course, he undoubtedly knew the question and answer were fanservice from the get -- Season 8 is selling tremendously and there's absolutely zero devleopment talk about a Buffy movie right now.

I'd love a Buffy movie, but I personally would take it amiss to have dropped a couple hundred bucks on comics that wouldn't mean anything, canonically, if he dropped the comics to do it. I mean, how would all the people who dropped $45 bucks on Season 7 DVDs feel if he decided he didn't feel like it should be canon anymore?

If he could make one that blends into or follows chronologically from the canon comics, I'd enjoy it much more.

Now, a "Fray" movie, on the other hand... let's start casting it as soon as "Time of Your Life" is finished
                            sigpic
                            Banner by LRae12

Comment

• holypotatoes
                              H.B.I.C.
                              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                              I'd love a Buffy movie, but I personally would take it amiss to have dropped a couple hundred bucks on comics that wouldn't mean anything, canonically, if he dropped the comics to do it. I mean, how would all the people who dropped $45 bucks on Season 7 DVDs feel if he decided he didn't feel like it should be canon anymore?
                              Please, please make that happen!!!!! I wouldn't feel bad at all if he decided to drop season 7. I didn't really like it. It made me dislike many characters and I hated the plot for most of the season. It started off with a bang in Lesson's and I was so ecstatic for the season only to be disappointed with a jumbled mess. So I wouldn't have a problem with that scenario at all. Besides, even if he did drop the comics, it doesn't mean all your money went to waste. I mean, if you buy them for the story and enjoy what you're reading I don't see why that is any different than buying any other comic or book. Also I think I ended up paying more than $45 bucks for season 7 which is very disappointing since I saw it in the store the other day for $19 bucks.
                              T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Comment

• BlasterBoy
                                trace your hand
                                • May 2007

Yeah, are you reading the comics cause they're canon or because they're enjoyable. If it's the former, I really see no point in it. I mean, I enjoy the latest comics for what they are; fun to read.

Anyways, I highly doubt this ever happening because it wasn't like it was a huge upset with "Firefly". Buffy ended after 7 seasons and was not canceled. It ended on its own accord, so, I would think, if they wanted to keep going, they would have.

Comment

• lee
                                  Banned
                                  • May 2008

I have to admit, i would not read the comics if they were not canon.
                                  I just wanted to find out what happens with the characters as i liked
                                  the show so much.
                                  I think comics are ok but obviously, they do not, and cannot, compare with the TV series.

Comment

• sueworld
                                    Banned
                                    • Jul 2007

I think comics are ok but obviously, they do not, and cannot, compare with the TV series.
                                    Sadly I think you're right. Maybe they will improve further up the line, but at the rate in which the main story arc is developing it's going to take ages to get there and find out!

Comment

• Michael
                                      Hellmouth Tourist
                                      • Mar 2008

I only read the comics because I want to know how Joss Whedon's Buffyverse works itself out.I have views about what should to happen but I would not bother to glance at another comic if they were not canon. I dislike the whole premise of Season 8 and would love to consign all of them to my personal dustbin.

I cannot see why a two hour TV special should be difficult to arrange--or more than one. The "special" type approach worked for Colombo very well. SMG and other stars would not have to give up more than a few weeks of their year.

Moreover the global fan base of Buffy is so large that a high concept TV movie could be pre-sold and in profit before they started shooting.

A good "high concept" can be found in some of the speculation about future developments in the comic series. I mean the idea that Buffy loses her Slayer powers as a result of treachery by Willow--leaving Buffy with a vertical cliff face to climb before she can sort things out. I would be pretty excited about that.

Comment

• Hekate
                                        Hellmouth Tourist
                                        • Jun 2008

Was that a spoiler or a joke? 'cause... spoilers = not cool.

Comment

Working...
                                        X