Best Philosophical Bad Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Philosophical Bad Guy

For every season, there's been a bad guy which wasn't a demon or a man but something else, which one was the best written?
    Destiny (Season 1)
    2.94%
    Love (Season 2)
    17.65%
    High School (Season 3)
    11.76%
    Friendship (Season 4)
    0.00%
    Family (Season 5)
    20.59%
    Life (Season 6)
    44.12%
    Adulthood (Season 7)
    2.94%
    sigpic

Angelus season2. That is the best story in the buffyverse ever.
    When innocence happened, that was THE episode.
    All the actors were on top form in s2, Boreanez was at his best.
    Just such a strong storyline, character growth and emotion. Angelus Spike and Drusilla = 10/10

Comment

I was talking of philosphic "bad guy", you have the possibilities in the poll.
      sigpic

Comment

oh, right, i still voted 2 though. :0)

Comment

I went for the 'Highschool is Hell' metaphor. I love that one.

Comment

As a season 6 fan i'm gonna have to say life. Buffy plumbing the depths and only seeing the light after nearly succumbing to Willows own dark side was a really brave move by Joss and co. It really moved the show on for me although I know a lot will disagree,
            JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
            Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

I went with Life. Just because everything else in that list is included in it. No I think Life has been most of the problems in the verse. In life you fall in love, you have your friendships you grow up basically. Things change and people change and we got to see that in season 6 so definitely Life with this one.
              T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Comment

I went for Life in Season 6, not because I think life is difficult, that's the easy part, but for me Season 6 was about finding a reason to live as opposed to just exist. At the end when Buffy says to Dawn she doesn't want to protect her from the world, she wants to show her it, I think that really sums up the whole thing. That life isn't something to be scared of and to be wary of, but something that you have to plunge yourself into whole-heartedly.

Comment

I voted for Life (season 6). Life is complicated and messy and maybe sometimes too hard, but at the end is everything that's important, it's what you're in this world to do. To live, and not just simply exists. Season 6 was great showing how screwed up eveything can get but that at the end, it's worth it, you know, all the bad things and all the problems, you learn from them, you grow, you get stronger, and maybe become a better person.
                  Last edited by lara; 31-05-08, 06:12 AM.

Comment

I voted for season 2, love. Probably because It was the deepest feeling and the most suffering times of Buffy and the scoobie. The burden of the life's responsibilties are of course hard and painful but I don't, in these kind of things I choose season 2' love. Buffy grown up a lot learning how she has to stay up alive and be strong. Season 2 was the darkest season of all in everyways(even the set was mostly- spooky and dark) and It was the first time she learnt how life can be hard for her.
                    sigpic
                    -Set by DeadLoversDawn from Evthreads-

Comment

For me, it was a toss up between Life and Highschool. In the show the story lines encompass pivotal moments in the scoobies lives, and i think these themes were the ones which affected each scooby the most. And which determined what decisions they were bound to make in the future. Also, i think these themes are most identifiable with the audience, especially in the way they were executed. Barring, the obvious exception of The Body (and the theme of grief and loss), these i feel were the most inherently human; especially in the current culture of today.
                      They also signify a 'before' and 'after' to each of the characters, if you compare them at certain times in the two series', a rather distinct growth can be seen.
                      Plus high school is after all a metaphor for life only more contained. And if their high school experience was one that ended in a bang, what does that have to foretell for their future lives?

I ultimately chose Life

(btw, great poll!)
                      x
                      "Blue in the face with a choking regret."

Comment

I went for high school. Coz that's when things really suck. As you get progressively into life you realise you have the power to change things that are crap (hopefully), but in high school, those realisations are still to be had.

Comment

High School, because it's not far from the truth.

Comment

I'm going to go with 'Life', too. Life is a struggle and we all need to find a purpose, a reason to go on, despite everything.

Comment

I went with Life, for all the reasons mentioned above. (especially liked what you said, Tangent)

Will say this though...I don't really think of Family as being a philosophical "Big Bad" for season 5, certainly not on par with Life, Love, or High School is Hell. I think for season 5, it was more...responsibility? maybe? I don't know. Why did you choose 'family'?
                              sigpic

http://buffysmom.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by litzie View Post
                                I went with Life, for all the reasons mentioned above. (especially liked what you said, Tangent)

Will say this though...I don't really think of Family as being a philosophical "Big Bad" for season 5, certainly not on par with Life, Love, or High School is Hell. I think for season 5, it was more...responsibility? maybe? I don't know. Why did you choose 'family'?
                                For obvious reasons, first she has to deal with sisterhood, from single child to big sister, huge step to take, then her mum's illness, quite tough. Then her mum's death to deal with plus an estranged father, then her new position of sister/mother to Dawn, also the all blood ties alegory and finally her sacrifice to save her family.
                                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                                  For obvious reasons, first she has to deal with sisterhood, from single child to big sister, huge step to take, then her mum's illness, quite tough. Then her mum's death to deal with plus an estranged father, then her new position of sister/mother to Dawn, also the all blood ties alegory and finally her sacrifice to save her family.
                                  Huh. I see what you're saying, and it makes perfect sense, but I guess I always thought of family as more of the theme of the season rather than the big bad...maybe those things aren't really different...huh. Now I'm trying to work out what I do think!
                                  sigpic

http://buffysmom.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by litzie View Post
                                    Huh. I see what you're saying, and it makes perfect sense, but I guess I always thought of family as more of the theme of the season rather than the big bad...maybe those things aren't really different...huh. Now I'm trying to work out what I do think!
                                    Yeah, you're right "Philosophical Bad Guy" and Theme, same thing, cause we all know Joss never go for the easy way, the theme is everytime something hard and painful, that's why the "Theme" and the "Philosophical Bad Guy" are the same thing, but I guess that wouldn't be true in a non-Joss show.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I see "family" more as a theme.

But I think it was the most well done. I feel "Life" was a little over the top, just a little (she got shot, almost got raped, was ripped out of heaven, etc.) I love Buffy dealing with Dawn and them finally coming to together and loving each other. The moment in "Blood Ties" where Buffy shares her blood with Dawn is a favorite of mine. Great stuff.

Comment

I too love the season 5 theme as she has to deal with protecting "Family" and learning to deal with the loss and additon of family and its fun to watch
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X