Scenes that make or break an episode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenes that make or break an episode

Okay we all have them, the episodes that no one understands why in the world we love or hate them so much. I better not be the only one. Anyhoo, I was wondering what those scenes & episodes are for you? Now I'm NOT looking for those episodes that you think only have one good scene but you still think it sucks (for me Fool For Love ), I'm looking for the scenes that take a mediocre/bad episode and make them fantastic or take what would have been a great episode but it got destroyed by that one scene.

Now I have a ton of these types of episodes. Usually it's the episodes that are probably mediocre or bad to most of you but one scene just makes it splendid for me.

My main one being ENEMIES!!! I know there's a lot of love for this eppy, probably not as much love that I have for it, but I think after many, many, many, many, many viewings you realize the small flaws it has. That maybe in hindsight you realize it's not the greatest episode. You know like how did Giles know when the Mayor was going to turn Angel or did the Shaman come to Giles and let him know the Mayor was up to something? That sort of stuff. I sometimes find it hard to explain why I love this episode so much and it always comes down to one scene, I don't even need to say it because you already know. You love it too. The scene between Faith, Buffy and Angel-us. One of the best the series ever had. Great dialogue, great interaction between characters, just great. That's the scene that makes the episode.

Another scene that makes an episode for me is Listening to Fear. I know, why is it one of my favorites? I will tell you, Crazy!Joyce in her bedroom talking about no one telling her tennis was being played. it!!! Makes the episode for me.

Now that I've given two examples of my beloved eps, onto the bad. I think most will agree with me on this one.... Empty Places. I watch the episode and I always think it's great UNTIL the scene between the entire group. I mean honestly, this was a great episode and then all of a sudden,THUD. Horrendous actions were happening before our very eyes. I mean who the hell kicks B out of her own house? And don't even try to debate me about her not getting kicked out 'cause I could literally go weeks with that arguement. So yeah, it was a good episode up until that scene and basically the previous happenings of the ep were then erased and filled with this anger and resentment that I've had towards this episode since it's airing.

Wow, alright you still there? I didn't expect to ramble this long but you get my jist, right? Scenes that make or break an episode for you... discuss.
    T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

A complaint I've heard about "Enemies" and tend to agree with is that, if you think about it, Angel punching Xander is a bit of a tell that something's off. The true Angelus could have just as easily, and more likely would have, snapped his neck without breaking stride. I also liked the shooting script of Faith kissing Buffy on the lips more.

You know, I think there is an episode-making moment in "Listening To Fear", but it's not Joyce, it's Buffy reacting to Joyce from the kitchen. Doing the dishes with that too-cloying, too-cheery music on to block her out and then collapsing into tears.
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
      A complaint I've heard about "Enemies" and tend to agree with is that, if you think about it, Angel punching Xander is a bit of a tell that something's off. The true Angelus could have just as easily, and more likely would have, snapped his neck without breaking stride. I also liked the shooting script of Faith kissing Buffy on the lips more.
      I hadn't really thought of that but I guess that's true. You have to come up with your own theories on how that all went down in that episode, for example I think Angel's kiss on Buffy's forehead was a signal to Buffy that their plan was in motion, and the look she shares with Giles after he says "be careful" is another one of those moments. But I adore that episode, it's one of my favourites, at least in my top twenty, so I don't mind at all.

I agree with holypotatoes, the scene between Buffy/Faith/Angel(us) is what makes that episode so bloody awesome, and I also love the scene between Faith after she turns Angel, and the scene when Faith kills the demon.. and when Buffy and Faith go to his apartment... ok I pretty much just love that episode.

You know, I think there is an episode-making moment in "Listening To Fear", but it's not Joyce, it's Buffy reacting to Joyce from the kitchen. Doing the dishes with that too-cloying, too-cheery music on to block her out and then collapsing into tears.
      I agree. Pretty lousy episode otherwise IMO, but that scene is pure gold.

Another make or break scene for me is during 'Killed By Death.' Didn't care a whole lot for this episode, but the scene between Angelus and Xander makes the episode a whole lot better.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Holypotatoes, you know exactly how I feel about "Enemies." But I do love the episode regardless of the gigantoid loophole that is the Shaman. But the episode contains some of Eliza and David's best performances in the series. When Buffy rebuttals Faith's monologue with "I am" I just wanted to shout out with glee "Oh no she di-idn't!" It was amazing. I can't remember when I first watched the episode if I actually believed that Angel had turned into Angelus, but I remember being shocked that he played as a double agent. I loved it. When Faith turns around in slow-motion.... sigh.... too good!

"Conversations With Dead People" is another episode like that in some ways. I love the episode, however I loved it more when it first aired. The issue I have with the episode is Dawn's sequences in the episode. It appeared to have been loaded with foreshadowing, but it make absolutely no sense in the overall arc. If Joyce was The First, then what was that demon attacking it? Was it protecting Dawn? Why? Huh? It doesn't make sense, and is completely pointless in terms of Dawn's (non)arc in the season.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Weredog View Post
          Holypotatoes, you know exactly how I feel about "Enemies." But I do love the episode regardless of the gigantoid loophole that is the Shaman. But the episode contains some of Eliza and David's best performances in the series. When Buffy rebuttals Faith's monologue with "I am" I just wanted to shout out with glee "Oh no she di-idn't!" It was amazing. I can't remember when I first watched the episode if I actually believed that Angel had turned into Angelus, but I remember being shocked that he played as a double agent. I loved it. When Faith turns around in slow-motion.... sigh.... too good!
          That I do! We've honestly had that discussion like 50 times now. And even with that loophole, it will forever be my all time favorite.

Okay some more...
          The Puppet Show. The episode is pretty terrible. I mean everything about it is pretty cheesy and dumb but then we get to the credits and it turns the entire episode into a brilliantly funny one. I'm sorry but them doing Oedipus the King makes me laugh a ton.

Anne. I actually really like the entire episode but there's one scene, line even, that made me LOVE the entire episode. "I'm Buffy. The Vampire Slayer and you are?" God I loved how they finally used it!!! Makes the episode.

Weight of the World. Fairly slow eppy, it's alright a bit mediocre but the beginning part of the episode when they do the Ben is Glory bit makes it a top 20 for me.

Comment

The Buffy/Dawn scene at the very end makes Forever. The church scene at the very end makes Beneath You. (Joss even told James that "his episode sucked", but "he was going to save it" -- and he did, by writing and directing that scene alone.)

The Penis MOTW breaks Doublemeat Palace, which I found a pretty interesting episode otherwise (the colour scheme, the gritty direction, Espenson's humor, etc). The snow-shaped anvils break Amends for some people who aren't me.

Might think of more later.

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

Oh the snow scene gets so much flack in 'Amends' by people, but really, it's a christmas episode, it's supposed to be cheesy that's what makes them so much fun!

Besides behind the cheese it did have a really great message behind it; hope.

And I actually liked 'Beneath You' even without the great church scene at the end. Especially the Bronze three-way smackdown between Anya/Buffy/Spike, it kicked arse, first time we get to see why Anya was so feared back in the day. But I agree it wouldn't have really been remembered as anything special if it weren't for the church scene.

I agree that 'Empty Places' though not a terribly great episode in the first place, is broken, but earlier than the Scooby kick out, the second Buffy says Spike was "the one person who's been watching my back." Ughh... Horrible scene. I was as pissed as the others for what they did later in the scene, but man Buffy, what a stupid dumb thing to say, I can't look fondly on that episode after all that crap.

The scene between Buffy/Xander/Willow at the end of 'I Robot You Jane' when their discussing their love lives then joke about how they'll never have a nice normal relationship, then stop laughing after the reality sinks in, saves that episode IMO.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Oh the snow scene gets so much flack in 'Amends' by people, but really, it's a christmas episode, it's supposed to be cheesy that's what makes them so much fun!
                It's not the snow that ruins Amends. It's the vast wheels of cheese, seasoned with bad acting, falling from the sky when Angel says "Am I a righteous man?" That gives me a barflex every time.

The snow is fine.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

really?

because "am i a thing worth saving, huh? am i a righteous man?" is one of my favorite ever angel quotes. then again... amends is my favorite episode in season 3.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                  "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Originally posted by Enisy View Post
                    The Buffy/Dawn scene at the very end makes Forever.
                    Ooh, I totally agree! The episode is a poor one, and a rather stereotypical one with everything "The Body" was trying not to be. However, the confrontation between the sisters at the end was completely heart wrenching. When Buffy's voice breaks while uttering "I have to do these things 'cause... 'cause when I stop... then she's really gone." I am willing to go to extent that this is Sarah's best performance in the series, at least in terms of crying. I'm also holding this scene on the same pedestal as "Becoming", "The Gift" and "Grave". But unlike those scenes, this scene excelled despite the poor episode it came from.

I like this thread.
                    sigpic

Comment

and funnily enough... i hate the body and love forever. forever, for me, is the episode that the body wasn't. i felt more for the characters in forever than i did in the body.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                      "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

I always liked the scene where Faith screams "Nooo!" in her hotel room in Faith, Hope, and Trick. I don't like the rest of it, from Scott Hope to Faith being over-the-top badass, but with that one scream you realize that Faith is not the calm, cool and collected she pretends to be but rather someone who screws up and gets scared just like everyone else.

I also think that the Spike/Buffy fight in Harsh Light of Day makes that mediocre episode better, just because it's so cool to see them fighting during the day.

Any Season One episode is saved by Xander-- his sense of humor is really the only thing that kept me watching that season. (Except Prophecy Girl, which doesn't really need to be saved.)
                        The story's kinda bland. It's about this guy named Dumbledore Calrissian who needs to return the ring back to Mordor.

Comment

Originally posted by NileQT87 View Post
                          and funnily enough... i hate the body and love forever. forever, for me, is the episode that the body wasn't. i felt more for the characters in forever than i did in the body.
                          I got to agree with Weredog on this one. I found 'Forever' to just be a pretty average episode, with the montage of the funeral and sappy music, it did seem like a reversal of everything 'The Body' was hoping to achieve by making the whole thing feel so real.

I really didn't care for a lot of that episode. I found the scenes between Dawn/Spike to be really pretty boring, couldn't stand the story about the demon and the eggs, and didn't really enjoy the scene between Xander/Anya either.

It did have a couple of nice moments, I liked the moment of Giles listening to the record he and Joyce played in 'Band Candy' the Buffy and Angel talk in the cemetery but yeah, the scene between Buffy and Dawn in the end was easily the best part of that episode. Sarah's acting is amazing.

I'd say, 'I Will Remember You' 'The Prom' and 'Forever' have her best crying scenes ever.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

You said most of them already.

But, holypotatoes, I have to disagree with you on "Empty Places". IMO, if that last episode hadn't happened, it would still be a pretty bad episode. Not as bad, but still bad. Ridiculously boring, not needed exposition that was so dumb and dumb

Lets see...."Lie To Me"! Most of the episode is very average, but it has a special place in my heart. I watched it thinking it's pretty good, then the graveyard scene hit Then I rewatched it, and it seemed so much better. Now, I adore, adore, adore it!

Others...."Forever", as you have all said. That last scene is amazing! "Checkpoint", because after seeing that final scene, everything seems to fall into place, and like "Lie To Me", everything seems that much better. As you've said, "Beneath You", because of the amazing church scene. The fight scene in "Dirty Girls" makes the episode for me, the speech in "Potential", the speech in "Bring On The Night". I could go on and on.

Comment

Oh another one for me!

The Buffy/Riley scene at the end of 'As You Were' saves that episode for me. Everything else is a borefest and craptacular! I don't mind the scene when Buffy gets rejected from UC Sunnydale, because I really feel for her there, but everything else is pretty bad. I was bored with Buffy/Spike by this point, though a nice woman Sam annoyed me, and the whole demon and it's eggs storyline wasn't great either.

But the scene when Riley pretty much tells Buffy what no one else had told her all year, was great. And it gave hope that she'd pull through this drought, it was a really touching scene.. and had Willow's cute "what a bitch" line to Buffy. Ah, adorable unpredictable Willow, how I missed you those last two seasons.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I liked the Spike/Buffy scenes in As You Were, actually, at least upon rewatch. (Notice that I didn't say "Spike/Buffy/Riley scenes", which were terribly humiliating for all the parties involved.) But yeah, that last speech of Riley's was something Buffy really needed to hear.

The revelation that Ted was a robot breaks Ted, which would have otherwise been an incredible episode.

The scene in Beauty and the Beasts where Angel says Buffy's name for the first time almost almost makes it worth it.

The charming, multi-dimensional Mayor transforming into a Giant Snake kinda breaks Graduation Day #2 for me. (They even make fun of it later... "Does anyone miss the Mayor -- 'I just want to be a giant snake'?" Sigh.)

Can we list Angel scenes, too, at least under spoiler tags? A certain scene in Tomorrow comes to mind...

Comment

I liked the Spike/Buffy scenes in As You Were, actually, at least upon rewatch. (Notice that I didn't say "Spike/Buffy/Riley scenes", which were terribly humiliating for all the parties involved.) But yeah, that last speech of Riley's was something Buffy really needed to hear.
                                  Humiliating is an excellent choice of words. It's cringe worthy. It reminds me a lot of 'The Office.' You feel embarrassed for everyone there when something really tense happens, and you just cringe. You know it's all scripted, you know what the outcome is going to be but ... gahh!

The charming, multi-dimensional Mayor transforming into a Giant Snake kinda breaks Graduation Day #2 for me. (They even make fun of it later... "Does anyone miss the Mayor -- 'I just want to be a giant snake'?" Sigh.)
                                  Though the snake looked terrible at times, others times it actually looked ok, I gotta say this is one of my favourite scenes in Btvs period. So we def disagree there! I just love that entire last few scenes of that episode. I get shivers throughout the entire thing.

Can we list Angel scenes, too, at least under spoiler tags? A certain scene in Tomorrow comes to mind...
                                  Oh I have plenty more make or break scenes for Ats! I think it'd be ok if we listed them, at least in spoilers.

Another make and break scene or really a collection of scenes is any scene with the loan shark in during ‘Tabula Rasa.’ God awful, just horrible. I think the episode is so overrated and hyped anyway but all his scenes just ruin the episode for me. And I’ll never forgive this episode, one of my friends saw it when it aired one night and has refused to even give the show a try. I hate you loan shark!
                                  Last edited by vampmogs; 03-08-09, 04:08 AM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Spoiler for the comics:
                                    Spoiler:
                                    He's cool in Angel: After the Fall, though.

All scenes featuring Oz's werewolf costume break Phases, Wild at Heart and New Moon Rising.

Buffy's "If you think that's enough to kill me, you really don't know what a Slayer is. Trust me when I say you're gonna find out." scene makes The I in Team for me. Love that.

Riley pulling the chip out without passing out/away from blood loss breaks Primeval for me. I love Petrie, but I don't think I'll ever forgive him for that.

The Random Guardian of Exposition breaks End of Days, by turning seven years of mythology on its head.

Comment

[QUOTE=Enisy;206612]Spoiler for the comics:
                                      Spoiler:
                                      He's cool in Angel: After the Fall, though.

True!

All scenes featuring Oz's werewolf costume break Phases, Wild at Heart and New Moon Rising.
                                      I think I'm about the only fan in the world who doesn't hate Oz's werewolf costume. I mean the original costume in Phases, yeah, but I didn't mind the others.

Buffy's "If you think that's enough to kill me, you really don't know what a Slayer is. Trust me when I say you're gonna find out." scene makes The I in Team for me. Love that.
                                      For sure! That's just awesome and does make the episode for me as well. I just love that scene. It's also scary how Maggie calls her a bitch and says how she'll teach Buffy for threatening her.. too bad she was killed off for a worse big bad though.. sigh

Riley pulling the chip out without passing out/away from blood loss breaks Primeval for me. I love Petrie, but I don't think I'll ever forgive him for that.
                                      I've never even got that scene? He was told not to move and to shut up if I remember, in two different scenes. So how's it even possible he did this? I've never got it?

The Random Guardian of Exposition breaks End of Days, by turning seven years of mythology on its head.
                                      Agreed! What a load of crap. Pointless, it needn't have ever happened. Hopefully the upcoming season 8 arc will give us more answers on the scythe rather than what we got in this episode anyway.

The old lady scene in 'Where the Wild Things Are' actually saves that episode for me. I found her very creepy, she was great.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post

Oh I have plenty more make or break scenes for Ats! I think it'd be ok if we listed them, at least in spoilers.
                                        Go for it kids!

OMG I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that scene!!! Definitely makes that episode. If it weren't for that scene I don't think any of us would really remember what happened in the episode.

Another one for me that sort of breaks the episode for me is Dead Man's Party. Maybe it's just when people gang up and bitch about Buffy I get irritated but Xander saying all that nonsense to Buffy... I just want to bitch slap him right there and I was sooooo waiting for Buffy to clock him just once. Granted that scene also makes part of the episode because I'm rooting for Buffy as soon as she says: "You want to talk about looking like an idiot, Nighthawk!" That's fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                                        X