The bad episode you like - The good episode you don't like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bad episode you like - The good episode you don't like

Everyone likes an episode which is usually classified as really bad by the others. So, which one is it?
    Everyone doesn't like an episode which is usually classified as really good by the others. So, which one is it?

Bad one - For me it's Doublemeat Palace, I find the comedy part hilarious and I like that the episode doesn't look like any of the others.

Good one - Surprisely enough I can't think of anyone, I guess I have common taste in that area...But I'd say Graduation Day Part II would be it, after Prophecy Girl, the most weaker season finale imo. The T.N.T idea was too close to the rocket launcher idea, the awesome mayor changing into a big dumb snake was disappointing and the all episode wasn't sad/harsh enough, no big loss and everything.
    sigpic

Bad one Beer Bad.. I find it very funny.

Good one I'm going to go with Graduation day also. That whole snake thing was silly

Comment

Shaylin21 I like how you think! The "bad" one for me is also Beer Bad. My other faves that a lot of people don't like are Where the Wild Things Are (I absolutely adore this episode ), Anne and Listening to Fear! I love Listening to Fear. It's one of Joyce's best episodes. She's just way too funny in it.

The episodes I don't understand the love for are Intervention, The Prom (great she won class protector, who cares???), Fool For Love, and ONCE MORE WITH FEELING!!!!!!!!! God I just dislike that episode soo much. Oh and how can I forget Storyteller. I don't really find that episode to be that funny.
      T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Comment

Good Bad Episode:
        I love "Living Conditions," I just find the comedy to be top-notch. Marti Noxon is great with the maudlin (ie. I Only Have Eyes For You, The Prom, Into the Woods, Wrecked), but I would say that with "Living Conditions" she's better at comedy! From the ketchup to the milk scenes, the Cher music to the... more Cher music -- hilarity! I always wondered why nobody else mentions how much they love this episode. Does that mean I'm the only one?

Bad Good Episode:
        I suppose I'll have to say "When She Was Bad." I know this episode isn't exactly on anybody's list of Top Best Episodes, but I don't see anyone deprecating it for being a horribly written, horribly directed, and horribly acted (*cough*Charisma*cough*) episode. I'm a huge fan of Chris Beck's scores, but the piano piece during the bone-crushing-scene was bordering on cheese. Then it completely crossed cheese with the god-awful score during the classroom scene when The Scoobies reunite. One of the series' worst episodes, in my opinion, and I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else bash this one (along with the ones that are bashed: Teacher's Pet, I Robot, Ted, Gone etc.)
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Weredog View Post
          Good Bad Episode:
          I love "Living Conditions," I just find the comedy to be top-notch. Marti Noxon is great with the maudlin (ie. I Only Have Eyes For You, The Prom, Into the Woods, Wrecked), but I would say that with "Living Conditions" she's better at comedy! From the ketchup to the milk scenes, the Cher music to the... more Cher music -- hilarity! I always wondered why nobody else mentions how much they love this episode. Does that mean I'm the only one?
          OMG I LOVE Living Conditions!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's in my top 20. Kathy is just the absolute best. Plus who hasn't hated living with someone before. I think we can all relate. So no you're not the only one.

Originally posted by Weredog View Post
          Bad Good Episode:
          I suppose I'll have to say "When She Was Bad." I know this episode isn't exactly on anybody's list of Top Best Episodes, but I don't see anyone deprecating it for being a horribly written, horribly directed, and horribly acted (*cough*Charisma*cough*) episode. I'm a huge fan of Chris Beck's scores, but the piano piece during the bone-crushing-scene was bordering on cheese. Then it completely crossed cheese with the god-awful score during the classroom scene when The Scoobies reunite. One of the series' worst episodes, in my opinion, and I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else bash this one (along with the ones that are bashed: Teacher's Pet, I Robot, Ted, Gone etc.)
          Oh you should really look at my top 20 list!!!!! Buffy the bitch is the best.

Comment

Good Bad Episode: I guess I'd say "I Was Made To Love You". Everyone thinks the MOTW is really cheesy but I find it touching and beautiful. Also, the ending and the character interactions? All great. Plus, robot throws Spike out the window. Added bonus

Bad Good Episode: I agree with Stacy when she says "Once More, With Feeling". Now, I don't dislike the episode, I just don't think it's brilliant. I'd probably give it 3/5 stars. The soundtrack kind of pisses me off now ( ). I've probably seen it too much. Also, the whole "Xander did it because we have nothing better to say!" was stupid.

Comment

Oh agree with both episodes pointed out by Blasterboy.

And I really like Beer Bad as well, I don't want to be cought while I watch it but I love it.

I love the next episodes, but a lot less than the others. The Body and The Gift. The first is for me too slow and too long, after 20 minutes I'm done with it. And the last one is not that great until the last 15 minutes. The end is fantastic but the first 20 minutes are pretty boring for a final.

And than there is my hate for 'Chosen', but I'm not sure if that is a bad good episode or just a bad bad episode with great music and special affects. And the same with Grave only without the stunning effects and music.
              Nina
              and her haircut.
              Last edited by Nina; 03-03-08, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I get that people had higher expectations of Chosen, since it was a series finale, but what's so bad about Grave? It has some of the most heartbreaking moments in the whole series.

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

I don't know about others but my problems with Grave are the next:

The only really good and touching thing was Xander's speech (This kind of cheesy I like). But it had also the cheap 'Spike never wanted his chip out' twist, it didn't end with Buffy like the other seasons (somehow I really need Buffy in the last scene ... I'm weird), Buffy had epiphany but she clearly forgot that one in season 7 so that one feels cheap and it gives us a very cheesy moment(some people call it; the tampon moment.), Giles laughed about all the trouble which felt wrong to me. I liked Darth!Willow because I like to see that side of a scooby but AH didn't seem to share that opnion, her acting was pretty bad for her standard. And the writing was not really good either.

Just like 'Chosen' it was for me a disappointing final. It wasn't a really bad episode, but it was not a good final. And if I'm honest, it's worse now than it was when I saw it for the first time, because of season 7 (Xander who saves Willow, but in season 7 there is almost no friendship anymore, Buffy who forgets everything about the epiphany, Giles who is a bad father/mentor again... and because of the twist, after Grave I still thought that Spike was fooled, in season 7 (and after I found the internet) I found out that I was fooled ... on a really cheap way.).

I just expected more I guess.
                  Nina
                  and her haircut.
                  Last edited by Nina; 03-03-08, 01:36 PM.

Comment

I love most of the episodes classified as bads Like Beer Bad, Where the Wild Things Are, Doublemeat Palce, and I LOVE Living Conditions Those are all just too funny!!

As far as bad good ones, for me it's Becoming II, Innocence, Angel. Probably because of my dislike for Angel/Bangel hehe. I also found Chosen to be kinda lame for a series finale...I was expecting more.
                    "Go deadness for the demons!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                      I don't know about others but my problems with Grave are the next:

The only really good and touching thing was Xander's speech (This kind of cheesy I like). But it had also the cheap 'Spike never wanted his chip out' twist, it didn't end with Buffy like the other seasons (somehow I really need Buffy in the last scene ... I'm weird), Buffy had epiphany but she clearly forgot that one in season 7 so that one feels cheap and it gives us a very cheesy moment(some people call it; the tampon moment.), Giles laughed about all the trouble which felt wrong to me. I liked Darth!Willow because I like to see that side of a scooby but AH didn't seem to share that opnion, her acting was pretty bad for her standard. And the writing was not really good either.

Just like 'Chosen' it was for me a disappointing final. It wasn't a really bad episode, but it was not a good final. And if I'm honest, it's worse now than it was when I saw it for the first time, because of season 7 (Xander who saves Willow, but in season 7 there is almost no friendship anymore, Buffy who forgets everything about the epiphany, Giles who is a bad father/mentor again... and because of the twist, after Grave I still thought that Spike was fooled, in season 7 (and after I found the internet) I found out that I was fooled ... on a really cheap way.).

I just expected more I guess.
                      OMG Nina I couldn't agree with you more!!!! I was never a fan of either episode. I guess I forgot to put them in my list. Grave was just a bad finale. I would have been tons happier if the ending was Two to Go. I can even live without the whole crayon speech. That was too much cheese for me. And I don't even need to get started on how horrible Chosen was. I think I didn't say that one because I know there are a lot of people who don't like it so I didn't know which category it actually fit into.

Comment

The crayon speech scene is, like, top 5 scenes in the entire run of either series on television. Way to go, show, for remembering that it's always about the characters and emotions and never about the phlebotenum -- the magic, the vampires, the rocket launchers. Okay, sometimes it's about the rocket launchers.

I like both "Ted" and "Bad Eggs", and I also like "Beer Bad". The only bad episodes I tend to think of as being bad are those "horse latitude" episodes of Season 6, "Gone", "Doublemeat Palace", etc. "Ted" especially would have been, like, a top 10 episode if Buffy had really killed an actual man, and the discovery that Xander and the others made was that he really was a serial killer or something, and that's what got Buffy out of trouble with the law, but would have left her with the emotional impact of knowing she killed a man out of anger.

There aren't a lot of generally consensus good episodes that I don't care for, so I don't really have much on that. I don't care for "What's My Line", really.
                        sigpic
                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

The bad episode I like is S7's Him. I thought it was hilarious.

The good episode i don't like is Conversations with Dead People. I think this is quite popular but I skip watching it because I just find it too creepy. I don't like this talking to dead people stuff even if I like horror films. Gives me nightmares. I know that's a contradiction but there are some scenes that are too much for my heart.
                          " Believe me I know the impulse to pull the trigger. But if we lose ourselves, we lose everything." -Michael Scofield

Comment

I'll add some more when I remember but as Blasterboy and Stacy said, I just don't like Once More With Feeling and I dont understand why people love it, Okay It's right that its different and new for the show but I mean, In my opinion it is just so childish. They are singing song, ok but nearly it seems like there isnt a plot or a storyline. We are talking about a buffy episode here, not a comedy time-wasting show. Normally after I watch a buffy episode, It affects me and I find myself in the mood of the episode, I think about it, and with friends we discuss etc. but In OMWF, I couldnt even find a good reason to discuss or think about.
                            sigpic
                            -Set by DeadLoversDawn from Evthreads-

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                              Oh agree with both episodes pointed out by Blasterboy.

And I really like Beer Bad as well, I don't want to be cought while I watch it but I love it.

I love the next episodes, but a lot less than the others. The Body and The Gift. The first is for me too slow and too long, after 20 minutes I'm done with it. And the last one is not that great until the last 15 minutes. The end is fantastic but the first 20 minutes are pretty boring for a final.

And than there is my hate for 'Chosen', but I'm not sure if that is a bad good episode or just a bad bad episode with great music and special affects. And the same with Grave only without the stunning effects and music.
                              The Gift and The Body are Ben's two favorite episodes and Chosen and Grave are my two favorite episodes...
                              sigpic

Comment

I know, I'm a walking unpopulair opinion.

Comment

Good bad episode:

Doublemeat Palace. However, I don't concede that it's bad, I think it's a very interesting episode - stylistically, and in terms of how it fits the theme of the season. The banal surrealism has something exciting to it.

Bad good episode:

Passions. I find the voiceover annoyingly "purple prose"-ish, as if it'd been written by a Mills and Boon author. It's pompous and unsubtle. I do love the Jenny death scene/Giles discovering the body. But the voiceover lets it down.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

i love bad eggs. adore it pieces. lots of bangely goodness and sums up pre-surprise EVERYTHING that will soon happen in season 3 and to the rest of their relationship. angel lays out exactly why they wouldn't work even if the curse problem didn't pop up in the next episode.

hate the body. probably one of my most controversial opinions here.

also not fond of smile time.
                                    NileQT87
                                    The Dark Avenger
                                    Last edited by NileQT87; 03-03-08, 09:41 PM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                                    "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

I can't say I hate any of the "universally" acclaimed Buffy episodes; not that I'm an automatic follower, it's just that my tastes broadly follow those of most fans, probably.

But there are a few episodes that are objectively cheesy that I still watch a lot, and both "Living Conditions" and "Him" are among them - the latter especially. Profound it ain't, but "Him" has too much good slapstick to be left aside - not to mention the in-character-but-way-psycho performances of the female Scoobies who fall under the love spell. Buffy's even more ready to kill, Anya is even more money-mad, Dawn is more... teenaged than usual, and Willow... claims to love the person in spite of "the whole orientation thing" - sort of like her falling in love with Tara, only flipped completely on its head.

"This isn't about his physical presence! It's about his heart." *snerk*

Guilty? Maybe. Pleasure? For sure.

Comment

I actually agree with those who had problems with 'Grave.' To me, the only thing that saves it is the amazing scene between Xander and Willow. For a season finale, especially a Buffy season finale, I found it pretty sloppy and messy in places. It felt like it was just one scene moving onto the next, it didn't feel like it had much direction. Some scenes just felt like they were there for filler, and I didn't think it was necessary to have Willow try and end the world.

A good episode, but not a good season finale.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Working...
                                        X