let's talk about Xander . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• let's talk about Xander . . .

I think it's safe to say that he's the only character who I loved from start to finish. I had my fallouts with each of the other characters, and while Xander had his faults (i.e - S3's little misdemeanor w/ Willow, and S6's leaving Anya at the altar,) he was consecutively a good guy.

And it frustrates me that he seemed to receive some of the deepest blows, especially in S7.

If you think back on it, how many times did Xander save the day? Quite a few, if I remember correctly. Honestly, I credit him for being the glue that held the group together.

Yet, he was horribly neglected in S7, replaced as the resident comic-relief by Andrew. He had his eye poked out by a baddy that came out of absolutely no where. Personally, out of all of the characters, I think he had that coming the LEAST (granted, no one deserves to have their eye poked out... or anything poked out for that matter) I mean, he's the most neutral of them all. And it doesnt happen too long after his speech to Dawn about "Being the eyes" of the gang (way to jinx it, Xand). And his soulmate was killed saving the bane of his existence.

Anyway, I think he's sorely underappreciated. But I love him dearly. What are your thoughts on Xander? In relation to the other characters...
    Giles: All we know is that the fate of the entire world rests on it. . . Did you eat all the jellies?
    Buffy: Did you want a jelly?
    Giles: I always have a jelly. I'm always the one that says "let's have a jelly in the mix."

I've had my moments of absolutely despising his character. Mainly in season 2 and 3. It was usually all of his comments about Angel and how he wasn't good for Buffy and whatnot. Even though he's the one that would be dating demons for almost the entire series besides Cordy. He was just very hypocritical. I definitely liked Xander the adult a lot more. I didn't mind him at all in season 6 or 7 for that matter. He had a right to get pissed that his eye was poked out but then again no one told him he had to go fight. I mean if he knew he didn't have any skills/powers as he stated to Dawn (more or less) why did he go and fight? It was bound to happen to one of the scoobies. I'm kind of surprised he didn't have anything happen to him sooner. Just for the fact that he was a normal guy. All in all, couldn't stand him in the beginning years, liked him in the ending years.
    T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Comment

I always liked Xander, in the first 3 season he was my least favourite of the 4 scoobies. But I loved them all, in the last seasons; Xander was the only one of the core 4 I still liked. His lack of storyline saved him I guess.

My favourite Xander moment is his speech to Dawn, because it showed how strong Xander is. Xander sees everything and is the heart and soul of the group. He is flawed like everybody and he can be annoying ... but in the end it's Xander who keeps it all together.

I loved that it was Xander who saved the world of Darth Willow, I'm not fan of the writing in that episode and it went to easy. But I love that Xander's love saved the world instead of Buffy's super strength.

Comment

I've always had a soft spot for Xander (and Willow/Giles/Buffy) and adore his character. He didn't have anywhere near the storyline he deserved in the later seasons of the show which is one of the reasons I've enjoyed season 8 so much. He has a really important role in the comics and is getting a lot of time spent on his character, and I'm really enjoying his interactions with everyone.

I understand why people may have got tired of him in the early seasons of the show, as he did have a few moments where I wasn't exactly proud of him either. I understand his resentment towards Angelus for obvious reasons, but his lack of concern for Angel in 'Surprise' with his "say hi to me" when Buffy was on the phone and deeply concerned, didn't sit well with me. Nor did his attitude towards Buffy in 'Revelations.' But all of our characters have had some pretty bad moments so I don't hold it against him.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I liked all the shades of Xander. Lost/Zeppo Xander, funny Xander, take charge Xander, hypocritical Xander. I always thought of Xander the heart of the scoobies.

I think Xander in a lot of ways was a little childlike: sometimes this meant he had a wonderful insight into matters of the heart but sometimes it meant he was immature and skewed in his opinion.

The fact that Xander at the age of 17 without any superpowers and is a frigtened guy with a rock but still willing to be Buffy's 'cavalry' I thought was wonderfully galant.

Comment

I loved and hated Xander at certain times in the show, I think he was better in the earlier seasons as he was the joker and was always coming out with great one liners I grew tired of him a bit though in the end because he got very serious and when he argued with Buffy in Revelations and Dead Man's Party I got really angry with him because I thought he was in the wrong. I loved him in the episode Potential when he is talking to Dawn, he is good at that and I love him for it but I think he lets his mouth take over sometimes when he shouldn't.
            sigpic

Comment

I have a love/hate relationship with Xander. Sometimes, I really loved him, for example when he saved the world in season 6 and season 1 because it was his CPR that saved the slayer. And I agree that he really was someone who holds the group together. But I just hate him when it comes to Angel/Buffy romance. He hates the guy, first because he?s a vampire and then, because he is dating Buffy and then, when he turns evil and kills Jenny. He takes every chance he gets to tell Buffy what he feels about him, almost disregarding what Buffy is feeling. I think he?s pretty harsh in "Becoming pt 1" and "Dead Man?s Party". But who is he to talk also? I mean, he dates Anya, who is a demon and killed millions of people throughout her life. He has that way of seeing only what he wants.

Comment

Some people seem to strongly hate Xander, I don't. Sure he's not always the nicest character in the show, and I don't know what makes him so lovable, but there's something

Comment

I don?t hate him, but he brings something different to the show. I have to say that he?s one character that, on ocasions, I love to hate.

Comment

Xander was a great friend, a funny and friendly person. Okay, sometimes he was seen as "the Zeppo" but I never believed that. Without him, the gang would be incomplete. He made his friends happy and he helped his best friends everytime they needed him. For example in season4, whenever BUffy/Willow needed any help, they ran to Xander and shared their problems. Eg. Willow wanted Xander's point of view at Wild At Heart, when she needed to know what Oz's behaviors meant. She stated that she had to see the situation from a man's aspect.

To sum up, Xander was a lovely character in the show, who was one of the most important people in Buffy's and others' life.
                    Last edited by selenspuffy; 08-02-08, 01:22 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

I agree. I think that, without Xander, Buffy wouldn?t be that strong. Xander gives her a lot of strenght, he is always there for Buffy.

Comment

You're right! Xander was always there for Buffy, no matter what happened! They had a true friendship. Of course with Willow too.. They were great friends as the "three", others were like addition They were the core of the gang.
                        Last edited by selenspuffy; 08-02-08, 09:11 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by buffyholic View Post
                          I agree. I think that, without Xander, Buffy wouldn?t be that strong. Xander gives her a lot of strenght, he is always there for Buffy.
                          Originally posted by selenspuffy View Post
                          You're right! Xander was always there for Buffy, no matter what happened! They had a true friendship. Of course with Willow too.. They were great friends as the "three", others were like addition They were the core of the gang.
                          I also both agree with you guys.

Xander was the person that was cool, funny and friendly. Yes, Xander was all there for Buffy. And Buffy realized that she can do nothing without her friends, including Xander. He's mostly seen as the powerless guy but they are wrong. Xander has the comforting and supporting power that nobody nearly has. I now remember, Into The Woods and how Xander was helpful with giving advices.
                          sigpic
                          -Set by DeadLoversDawn from Evthreads-

Comment

And he is always there for Willow too. Remember in "When she was Bad" when he told Buffy that if something happened to Willow, he would kill her. That is one of the reasons Buffy is kicked out, imo. The guy, the "glue" that holds the group and the slayer together was injured, so everything fell apart.

Comment

Originally posted by buffyholic View Post
                              Originally posted by selenspuffy View Post
                              Originally posted by basakbangel View Post
                              I also both agree with you guys.
                              You are kidding, right?

Already in season 1 he was sometimes insecure about his role / manlyhood, starting at pilot when trying to save Jesse, acting petty and for himself. Minor things at first but during season 2 the envy of Angel really kicks in, ending with the "Willow said, kick his ass" -lie. Season 3 starts with Xander acting as an ass, blaming all on Buffy (Dead Man's Party), and the Angel stuff continues, the intervention / plotting with Faith, etc. Later the distrust / selfish behaviour is transferred to Spike. Many more similar little things here and there, minor enough to be forgettable, especially in the early seasons.

I'm not saying he's not a great character, or that I woudn't like him. I'm just saying he's not the knight in shiny armour you seem to place him as, but more a (sometimes) petty insecure dude who still manages to stick around and kick some ass. Probably made Buffy stronger, yes. But surely wasn't always there for her.

Comment

Minor things at first but during season 2 the envy of Angel really kicks in, ending with the "Willow said, kick his ass" -lie.
                                Joss himself ended this debate by stating explicitly that Xander was NOT motivated in that lie by jealousy of Angel He was, in fact, motivated by 'saving Buffy's life', 'saving the world'.

I'm also pretty unclear on what behavior from "Welcome to the Hellmouth"/"The Harvest" was him acting petty and for himself. If he hadn't followed Buffy into the tunnels, she might have been killed -- he pulled her up out of the hatch, and they needed to work together to keep the door shut.
                                sigpic
                                Banner by LRae12

Comment

Eerikki, I have to say that you?re also right. But I don?t see Xander as someone perfect, I just think that in the later seasons, he was always there for Buffy. But I also agree when you say that he?s an ass sometimes. I think in season 3 he?s a total jerk with Buffy. First, in "DMP" he totally dismisses her feelings and says that it was selfish of her leaving town. Then in "Revelations" he?s also attacking her and even planning to kill Angel with the aid of Faith. But still, even if he doesn?t agree with her sometimes, I think he has her back.

Comment

Originally posted by Eerikki View Post
                                    Already in season 1 he was sometimes insecure about his role / manlyhood, starting at pilot when trying to save Jesse, acting petty and for himself.
                                    I agree with King. If Xander hadn't went down into the sewers Buffy would have died. And it had a lot more to do with Jesse than doing something for himself. As he states, "Jesses my bud" he just wanted to save his friend. I wouldn't hold that against him.

Later the distrust / selfish behaviour is transferred to Spike.
                                    That's because Spike was a soulless vampire, therefore *shouldn't* be trusted. Xander is right in 'Seeing Red' when he states that although he let Spike take care of Dawn, he never forgot who Spike really was. And out of all the mistakes Xander had made, "slaughtering half of Europe wasn't one of them." It's stated in Angel that Spike is one of the worst vampires on record, second only to Angelus. That's not the kind of person you should trust, at least not at the stage we are talking about.

And then you can see why he'd dislike the guy on a basic level. Spike had tried to kill Willow before, he severly gashed Xander's face, threatened to kill him, and held him hostage in 'Lover's Walk.' He'd pretty much been an ass to Xander throughout the entire run, and was... a vampire.

I'm not saying he's not a great character, or that I woudn't like him. I'm just saying he's not the knight in shiny armour you seem to place him as, but more a (sometimes) petty insecure dude who still manages to stick around and kick some ass. Probably made Buffy stronger, yes. But surely wasn't always there for her.
                                    You can't be a knight in shiny armour and still be insecure?

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I absolutely love Xander, i've had a soft spot for him since i started watching it and i was 6 lol! He's definetly under rated, hes funny yet serious and ofetn saves the day. Ever since season 1 i've wanted him and willow to get togther properly, my hopes rose in series 3 but plumeted again lol. Even now Willow is gay i still hang on to the hope, lol.
                                      "Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny"

Comment

I like him but he?s a character that does things that make me dislike him sometimes. I find him even more interesting for that.

Comment

Working...
                                        X