Favourite "The Body" Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite "The Body" Act

I've just recently re-watched "The Body" and -- not unsurprisingly -- it is one of Joss' best works, if not the best. The writing, the directing... ahh, it's amazing.

My favourite act would have to be the 3rd one. The one where it focuses on Willow, Tara, Xander and Anya in the dorm room. Their dialogue expresses so much about how we generally relate to death: Willow is hysterical, Tara dreads that she has to go through this again, Xander desires for an answer, and Anya has no clue what the hell is going on.

I can honestly relate to all four of them. They each represent a phase that I go through whenever one I love dies. Highlight of that scene (amongst many) has to be when Xander punches the wall and claims it helped for a second to which Willow replies "A whole second?"
    Act I: Buffy
    50.00%
    Act II: Dawn
    5.88%
    Act III: Scoobies
    41.18%
    Act IV: Everybody
    2.94%
    sigpic

Well, I don't know if 'favorite' is the right word, but Dawn's is the most affecting. Just to see her ordinary, high school life interrupted by something so tragic- and she doesn't see it coming at all. And the minute she figures out what's happened, everything else fades away- the boy that she was so determined to impress, the bitchy girl who was mean to her, her art project- nothing matters anymore. Plus, her line "Is she okay? Is she ... but she's okay?" gets me as well, because she just assumes that Buffy will reassure her. "Mom had an accident, but she's in the hospital now, the doctors say she'll be fine." Only this doesn't happen. The way the camera zooms out at the end as Dawn collapses to the floor is amazing as well.
    The story's kinda bland. It's about this guy named Dumbledore Calrissian who needs to return the ring back to Mordor.

Comment

I voted for Buffy's just because it was the most shocking out of all four of the acts. It gripped me the most, stunned me the most. Afterwards you go into that almost "dull" reality of what is going on, which is Joss' own words not mine. All of them are superb but this one had me at the edge of my seat, it was the most shocking for me.

But a very close second was Dawn's act. From the moment Buffy comes into the hallway it's just heartbreaking. And at the start of the act it's brilliant how where led to believe Dawn's crying is over Dawn, and Michelle played it wonderfully- she definitely under-acted it which made the scene in which she learns about Joyce all the more powerful. That's when she pulled out the big guns.. you were almost disappointed at the beginning of the act when you think for a moment she's crying over Joyce.. you kinda think "that's all you got Michelle" but you quickly learn she's got so much more.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I voted for the first act. The whole episode is well acted and written, but this bit is the most shocking and dramatic.

Second for me is the Scoobies. There's some great moments, especially Anya's meltdown, and the Willow/Tara scene, which I found the most affecting in the entire episode.

Comment

I agree on the Dawn scene.. it's the act that still makes me cry, even if I have the commentary on. Actually I only ever watch this episode now with the commentary, it feels really lonely otherwise, which I know is a weird statement.
          I voted for the Buffy act though, mostly because I think it's the best.. although maybe my favourite act is Dawn's.. or Willow's. I think the direction/acting/editing everything was just top notch with act one. Not that the rest of the episode went to far below that.
          sigpic

Comment

While all of them are amazing, I have to say Dawn. Michelle and the rest of the cast PUT YOU in that moment. It's very gripping. It's so real. She was wonderful in it, and that still makes me cry. Above and beyond one of the best hours of television, ever.

Overall that episode resonates with me, as my father passed away due to a brain aneurysm when I was very young.

EDIT: Have to add that the closing act in "Forever" is also up there for me. When the girls are crying at the door. Geez, it makes me well up!

My Site: SlayAlive MySpace: Profile

Comment

The only reason that 'The Body' is one of my favourite 20 episodes, is the first act with Buffy. The rest was a little too much and over the top for me.

But the first act is amazing, and the actingwork of Sarah is fantastic.

Comment

I choose the third act where the Scoobies interact with each other. Willow trying to figure out what to wear and also trying not to cry is very affecting. Also the dialogue Anya has about not understanding death is very good. The directing of that act is very good.

Comment

I voted for Act I, although Act III runs just about equal with it.

"The Body", being the amazing ep it is, and having been written by Joss, just completely grips me and takes me through the emotions the characters go through. From the opening scene w/ Sarah, I am just spellbound. The 'flashes' she has of everything working out just torture me. I remember the first time I saw the ep, I had just begun to grin, and then I'm abruptly brought back to the present and my hopes are shattered. I am just in a state of shock and confusion and loss. And Buffy's "We're not supposed to move the body!' -- it makes me wince every time.

And then, Act III is where I finally begin to feel again. And there are so many strong emotions holed up in one room! Willow's frantic desire to find the one thing the knew Joyce liked. Xander's angst building, putting his fist through a wall, and then having that distraction of physical pain versus the emotional. But the one that gets me everytime is Anya: she doesn't understand mortality, she's never dealth with such a loss before, and she is just so confused and needing to understand "why". We all want to know "why" in that situation, and that little bit there will still cause me to tear up.
                  It's blood...It's just like mine.
                  It doesn't matter where you came from or how you got here.

You are my sister.

Comment

The interaction between the Scoobies is my favorite part of the episode...if you can call tear jerking scenes favorites. Buffy's was sad, but I've seen her cry a million times...and Dawn just bothers me. She seems to have a way of turning everything into something about her. So the scene with the scoobies really hit me. It seem so normal...like what anyone would experience. What really gets me though is Anya. Her not understanding. Not knowing what is going to happen. She did an amazing job.

Comment

Which single scene affects everybody the most? The Willow/Tara scene gets me every time. Perhaps it's because it's right around the time that you get over the initial shock and the sadness kicks in.

Comment

Yeah, I agree. We feel their pain and just wanna cry along. But I think the whole episode is very affecting, but still the Scoobies part is the most heartbreaking.

Comment

Originally posted by OkinawanSteel View Post
                          Which single scene affects everybody the most? The Willow/Tara scene gets me every time. Perhaps it's because it's right around the time that you get over the initial shock and the sadness kicks in.
                          The scene that gets me all the most is Anya's breakdown. Not only was it a great performance, but I also never saw that kind of writing in television and film. Her monologue touches on so many common thoughts we have when somebody dies: "how?"; "why?"
                          And Willow answers it best: "We don't know how it works. Or why..."
                          sigpic

Comment

Third act for me. Where it centers around the dorm room, and especially the Willow/Tara scene, that was heartbreaking. Anya's character was amazing in this, because she just asks whats on everyones mind, why, how, etc. Just an overall amazing episode.

Comment

I picked the 3rd. The Willow/Tara scene and how Anya doesn't understand...get's me every time. That whole speech is heartbreaking, and how Willow her stood her a bit more after that. She didn't question Anya as much as she used to prior to that.

Side note: Anyone else notice Anya found the blue sweater Willow was looking for, and stuck it in the drawer?
                              "Go deadness for the demons!"

Comment

Yeah I noticed that lol. It annoyed me because Willow wanted to wear it so badly, and there goes Anya just throwing it away in the drawer

Comment

Originally posted by TrueVengeance View Post
                                  Side note: Anyone else notice Anya found the blue sweater Willow was looking for, and stuck it in the drawer?
                                  I know! And it wasn't either or's fault since Willow didn't notice Anya putting it away, and Anya didn't know that Willow was looking for the blue sweater. If that isn't great writing, I don't know what is!
                                  Oh and on that note, why the hell did this episode get nominated for "Worst Writing" in the BuffyForums Zeppo Awards? :eek:
                                  sigpic

Comment

Had to go with the third. "Xander blames the wall" - pretty realistic in my opinion as I've been known to do that myself after a loss. Plus Emma really added to the emotion for me. Not just from finding the sweater, but how she was trying so hard to understand and just couldn't.

Act four is a close second though and not just because of the Giles/Anya hug. Also the fact that we saw the reality from Buffy's pov with the doctor speaking - what she heard as opposed to what he said

Comment

i'd say Buffy's reaction, just for the pure humanity in it... as the viewer, we're too used to seeing buffy as the one who saves the day, etc etc. But here she's just like any other girl in the world who has lost her mother. It was a very human reaction, expecially since loss is an inevitability that we all deal with.
                                      there's quite a sad paradox in this scene in that respect... that after wishing she was a 'normal' girl for so long, she finally has to deal with something completely non-demonic related, and it has to be something so distressing.
                                      This period, ie. the episodes after this one, just demonstrates to the viewer how, eventhough someone can deal with death on a day to day basis, and see some of the worst things imaginable... she's still left feeling like a child when it's all stripped away.

anyway, second would have to be the scoobies reaction. anya's meltdown was just... heart wrenching in all its honesty, and the whole scene demonstrated the different emotions grief can cause.
                                      Dawn's scene was very well done, theatrically and i think Michelle played it very well.

So really... i 'loved' them all! heh

x
                                      "Blue in the face with a choking regret."

Comment

Definately the first act. It is the most shocking, and Sarah Michelle Gellar's performance is nothing short of amazing. A close second is the Scoobies in Willow's dorm room. Emma Caulfield's speech rips my heart out EVERY time. Third would be Dawn's act. It is hard to watch her breakdown in front of Buffy.

I must say that this episode is a masterpiece, and the most amazing hour of television I have ever seen. From beginning to end it is brilliant.
                                        Why are you reading this when there's a great Xander picture to look at? Come on, you know you want to!

Comment

Working...
                                        X