Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Fight to the Death (so far)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best Fight to the Death (so far)

    'Kay, I was re-reading #9 and I just had to talk about how much I love Roden's death. It was amazing. Had Brian Vaughn ended the fight with the backstabbing (literally), it wouldn't have had that big punch the arc had to end at. Did anyone else think the fight itself was epic? When Faith hits him across the face with the book, I was like "No, Faith, now he's gonna kill you!!|

    Any other fights that deserve online praise?
    Last edited by Weredog; 13-12-07, 10:15 PM.
    sigpic

  • #2
    It was a great fight and very smart thinking from Giles. But I still find it somewhat strange that he got the time to come up with the shield-spell, to look up the spell in the book, and to perform it in such a time (I also find it a bit weird how he could decide where the shield should come without saying so. But that doesn't matter for the coolness factor of the spell).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Koos View Post
      It was a great fight and very smart thinking from Giles. But I still find it somewhat strange that he got the time to come up with the shield-spell, to look up the spell in the book, and to perform it in such a time (I also find it a bit weird how he could decide where the shield should come without saying so. But that doesn't matter for the coolness factor of the spell).
      Didn't Willow tell Giles how to break the the shield off-camera? (Or should I say off-panel?) I thought that was how he got through.
      And, yeah, the "burst" spell was thrown at Roden a little too quickly, but Faith did tell Giles to "think fast."
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Weredog View Post
        Didn't Willow tell Giles how to break the the shield off-camera? (Or should I say off-panel?) I thought that was how he got through.
        I'm sorry, but I meant the mystic field spell, not shield. It was a containment spell that Giles performed.

        Willow helped Giles to get through the outside shield.

        Comment


        • #5
          The fight between Faith/Giles/Roden was something I could totally envision happening in one of the televised seasons of the series. Faith's sudden reaction to strike Roden with the book after playing it as if she was being compromised, Giles' awesome facial expression as he appears behind Roden, Roden's sudden realisation that he's in deep shite when Giles tells him the spell is in him- all classic attributes of a great Btvs showdown. It was the most interesting fight for me out of the ones we've seen so far this season.

          It was also incredibly suspenceful. For the first time in a really long time I wasn't in this comfort zone with the belief that none of my favourites were going to be killed. But by the end of this episode I wasn't ruling out Faith being killed, or Giles being killed and I didn't even really want Gigi to die either. It was a great climax and a great end to a great Buffy episode.
          Last edited by vampmogs; 14-12-07, 07:20 AM.

          ~ Banner by Nina ~

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
            The fight between Faith/Giles/Roden was something I could totally envision happening in one of the televised seasons of the series. Faith's sudden reaction to strike Roden with the book after playing it as if she was being compromised, Giles' awesome facial expression as he appears behind Roden, Roden's sudden realisation that he's in deep shite when Giles tells him the spell is in him- all classic attributes of a great Btvs showdown.
            On television it would totally awesome, but we saw at least a moment why comics are great too in contrast to a novel.

            But Roden still needs to be distracted to give Giles the necessary time. This could be fittingly done to have Roden be too arrogant. Like having him challenging Giles to throw the best Giles can at him. And then Roden's death needs to be slow

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Koos View Post
              It was a great fight and very smart thinking from Giles. But I still find it somewhat strange that he got the time to come up with the shield-spell, to look up the spell in the book, and to perform it in such a time
              Okay, I've thought about it and I've come up with a theory as to how Giles was to quick about defeating Roden.
              When Buffy contacted Giles, she mentioned that "Faith's droogs" teleported her to their mansion until Willow brought her back. Now Giles probably thought "Oh fack, Faith's having to deal with some magic baddies? I thought this was just one darn Slayer."
              Now (and here's where I speculate) when Giles spoke to Willow, he asked her how to break the barrier and what spell she had to use to re-teleport Buffy from England. Since Willow is the all-knowing-magic-decoding-mama, she probably said something along the lines of:

              "Well, I had to chant Vrikk Hrr Nisanti in order to lock on Buffy's astral signature, which means that whoever casted it in the first place is bad to bone. This guy is using the same black magick that I used in season 6; he's probably black-eyed, veiny, impervious to weapons (remember when Warren stabbed Dark Willow with an axe?) and has a mystic field (remember when Warren shot spells at Dark Willow and she had always manage to get herself out of them?). The only way you can stop this guy is by reminding him how he broke yellow crayons or by casting one of his own containment spells inside of him. PS Where've you been?"

              Well maybe not in those exact words...
              Last edited by Weredog; 15-12-07, 01:56 AM.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Weredog View Post
                Okay, I've thought about it and I've come up with a theory as to how Giles was to quick about defeating Roden.
                When Buffy contacted Giles, she mentioned that "Faith's droogs" teleported her to their mansion until Willow brought her back. Now Giles probably thought "Oh fack, Faith's having to deal with some magic baddies? I thought this was just one darn Slayer."
                That was already clear by the shield that Willow had to break. Giles friend also used dark magics. So, Giles realized that part before the phonecall. Also, Giles knew already a lot by his augurs.

                [QUOTE=Weredog;121293]
                Now (and here's where I speculate) when Giles spoke to Willow, he asked her how to break the barrier and what spell she had to use to re-teleport Buffy from England. Since Willow is the all-knowing-magic-decoding-mama, she probably said something along the lines of:

                My problem with your theory is that Roden wrote his own magic. He wrote that book. I know that Willow is an extremely powerful witch who can break down spells to each core and analyse it. But I doubt that she could do this.
                Hell, why can't Willow do it by herself. Just locate the source of the black magics that transported Buffy and perform the spell to blow up Roden's head all by herself.


                On the other hand, I always find it hard to believe that pronouncing the words is enough to activate the spell. If that's the case than everyone can do it - even Xander. And while Giles knows about magic, I find it weird that he could just perform a spell of that level. In that case Giles could have learned form Willow.

                Overall: to make my conclusion to your theory, I say: no. Because of the simple fact that if that was true, Giles would have performed it immediately and not first stab Roden.

                Comment

                Working...
                X