Why didn't they get a job?!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't they get a job?!!!!!!!!!!

Okay so I'm watching Grave right now as we speak and the line when Buffy is talking to Giles in the training room kind of struck me. Buffy: "money's been so tight I've been slinging burgers at the Double Meat Palace". This made me wonder..... how come Tara and Willow didn't get a job. I mean when Buffy died, they were the ones who took over her house. Buffy comes back and then has to deal with all of the bills because Tara and Willow were living there scott free. Why didn't they get off their lazy behinds and get a job like every other person?! Why should Buffy have to come back from the dead and then all of a sudden get a job and have to claw (no pun intended, oh wait yeah there is ) her way out of debt because Willow and Tara couldn't pay a few bills? The more I keep thinking about this the more angry I'm getting at those 2 scoobies!!!!!! And how did they pay for food and clothes? The only one's who had jobs were Xander, Anya and Giles I guess but he wasn't in SunnyD at that time. Please discuss......

Oh and mods I wasn't sure if this was a Buffy topic or General Discussions so feel free to move if necessary.
    T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

I'm pretty sure this would be Buffy, because it's in Buffy

Anyways, nice question. Not sure, maybe they were living off what Buffy and her mom left behind? Not sure. But, they were also working extra hard to patrol. You saw how long it took to take out just two vamps. Although, they could have just sent out BuffyBot alone, I guess, most of the time

Comment

Laziness on behalf of the writers? I don't know, there really is no good excuse as to why Tara and Willow weren't working. Just because you're in college and occasionally have to fight demons doesn't mean you shouldn't pull your weight. And it's not like Tara would be getting any money off of her family, I suppose Willow could have though? It definitely wasn't fair to Buffy to have to be the only one to earn some money.
      No power in the 'verse can stop me.

Comment

I think it's a fair question. Tara moved out about two months after Buffy came back, for her own reasons obviously, but Willow moved in. I don't think it's unfair to wonder why Willow in particular was kinda freeloading on the Summers women. It would have been nice for her to cover in dialogue, at least, that she was putting student loan money into the house for groceries and bills, for instance, or financially contributing to the household in any way.

Guys in construction make pretty good money, but Xander's apartment was pretty expensive, I would think. Maybe he was able to contribute, though.

The missing information here is exactly how many zeroes were on that check that Giles cut for Buffy. I've always liked to think that he gave her the backpay she'd won for him in "Checkpoint". I could see two years of a Watcher's salary ringing up to between $200 and $300k. That might have been enough to pay off their mortgage on the house, buy insurance coverage (since Buffy was, apparently, a part time employee), and put the rest in savings.
        sigpic
        Banner by LRae12

Comment

well, since that money only apparently lasted for a few episodes before she had to get a job, I doubt it was that much...

I've said the exact same thing about Willow, though...in fact my last time through the series I remember yelling at her on my screen (she, of course heard me...) "Why don't you get off your lazy ass and get a job, too!" Seriously. Didn't she pay rent? I mean who paid for her clothes and shoes and food and toiletries and spending money? Did her parents? That was one aspect of S6 that drove me up a wall...
          sigpic

Comment

There was never any indication of a financial contribution by Willow or Tara to the household.

If Giles did drop a lot of money on them, Buffy might have felt obliged to take a job to A) pay their fixed costs like utilities and things like food, B) to make their reports to DCF or whatever it's called in California more believable, C) to save any extra money for Dawn's college, or some combination.

As it happens, I only think this is a problem for Season 6. Early Season 7 gave me the impression that Xander could have been putting almost as much into Buffy and Dawn's home as he did into his own. A contractor doing the range of work he did would frankly be a modestly wealthy guy, even in Sunnydale.
            sigpic
            Banner by LRae12

Comment

Well my main problem isn't the fact that they didn't get a job once Buffy was back, even though they SHOULD HAVE! The thing I'm getting more and more pissed off by was when Buffy was dead, the time between the end of S5 and the beginning of S6. When Buffy comes back home and Dawn is fixing her up she see's Joyce's room and Dawn's like Tara and Willow moved in there cause it made more sense being the bigger room and all. Well hell. They just move themselves in yet don't pay any bills while doing so. What the hell is with that? I'm so glad I'm not the only person who's annoyed by this!

Originally posted by KingofCretins:
              If Giles did drop a lot of money on them, Buffy might have felt obliged to take a job to A) pay their fixed costs like utilities and things like food, B) to make their reports to DCF or whatever it's called in California more believable, C) to save any extra money for Dawn's college, or some combination.
              I would think that's another reason Buffy got a job but like I've said the point wasn't about Buffy getting a "paying" job because it was bound to happen at some point. Just why couldn't Willow or Tara? It's not like they didn't have time. I'm fairly sure they weren't at college every hour of every day.
              T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Comment

It just wasn't essential to the plot and would contribute nothing to the advancement of the storyline. Even if they had jobs, unless they did an episode around it, whats the point of going into that type of detail?

Giles spent the entire season 4 out of work and never had to move out of his apartment. Its just kinda assumed he had money saved up or something along those lines.

The main storylines were almost always centered around Buffy and details like this were only explored if they helped to further ongoing storyline.

Comment

no jobs

I didnt think about Tara and willow not having jobs but as said before it is not a major plot point so it didnt really need to get brought up maybe they did have jobs we just never saw them go to them or work they may have paid some money so overall i dnt think it matters that much but i does strike me as odd y buffy comes back to so many bills :P

Comment

Maybe they didn't realize that they have spent so much money before Buffy's back. Maybe when they wanted to buy something, they just used credit cards so they didn't really pay attention to money when everything was complicated. I know it's silly, but that's an idea

Comment

Of course we who have to pay bills from week to week and make the budget balance wonder about this, but actually this is never covered in any way in the series. They never stated that Willow and Tara were paying money into the budget, but of course they never stated that they weren't, either. I always assumed that Willow and Tara were paying rent on the room they occupied, but this was not covered because it doesn't contribute to the story arc. Rent on one bedroom would help the house finances, of course, but it would never be enough to carry the household. Tara would have to be working at a job somewhere even if she were on a full scholarship, but again, this would not contribute to the story arc. I was always annoyed that the Watchers' Council, who paid everybody else, did not pay the Slayer and made no effort to provide her with insurance or a trust fund. Wankers!

Comment

Originally posted by vampcruella View Post
                        I was always annoyed that the Watchers' Council, who paid everybody else, did not pay the Slayer and made no effort to provide her with insurance or a trust fund. Wankers!
                        Slayer insurance!!! Thats genius! It could feature a full medical and dental package! That would be awesome!

Comment

Well, I have to say I never thought of this point of view before........but now that it's been brought up, it does kind of piss me off too!

Willow, Tara & Anya told Buffy in Flooded that Joyce "prepared everything really well, she had insurance.......life insurance." Are we supposed to believe Joyce had enough household insurance to continuously replace furnishings after all Buffy's fights in the house AND enough life insurance to take care of Buffy and Dawn, but she had NO HEALTH INSURANCE? Hospital bills pretty much sucked up all the money?! Which all FOUR of the Scoobies in Sunnydale knew all along. What if they couldn't bring Buffy back? Or what if she came back a Zombie (they've referred to it when Dawn tried to bring Joyce back) that had to be immediately killed? Then what?

Anya had the Magic Box AND was secretly engaged to Xander by then, why the hell didn't SHE cough up some money? Or call on some of her demon friends for some magic money?

Willow obviously has no problem using magic for whatever she wants, so why didn't she use magic to whip up the money they needed? Now I'm starting to wonder how Willow got money for ANYTHING - like her brand new laptop, the car she drove to LA, the fabulous new wardrobe (no geeky S5 clothes seen in S6)........if she had enough power to erase EVERYONE's memories in Tabula Rasa, why didn't she use the mind warp on the bill collectors?

Wow, quite the soapbox I'm on here.........and I'm a Willow & Tara lover!
                          Great thread idea!
                          sigpic

Comment

I can't say wether or not Willow added anything to the house but I think it is supposed to be assumed she payed her own way in terms of getting her own food and items and such. Buffy always seemed to be working for herself and Dawn, not Willow. However, that doesn't explain why Willow didn't pitch in with the household bills, perhaps she did and only her share? Or doing some chores? Though apparently she did all Dawns.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                              I can't say wether or not Willow added anything to the house but I think it is supposed to be assumed she payed her own way in terms of getting her own food and items and such. Buffy always seemed to be working for herself and Dawn, not Willow. However, that doesn't explain why Willow didn't pitch in with the household bills, perhaps she did and only her share? Or doing some chores? Though apparently she did all Dawns.

But, the problem is - WHERE did Will come up with the dough to pay even her own way! Have we EVER seen her do ANYTHING to earn money?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cinderela View Post
                                But, the problem is - WHERE did Will come up with the dough to pay even her own way! Have we EVER seen her do ANYTHING to earn money?
                                Well I'm assuming all the scoobs who went to college had their parents bearing the brunt of costs, Buffy says as much about Joyce in 'The Freshman.' So perhaps Willow just convinced her mother to pay for her accomodation at the Summers home instead of on-campus accomodation she was previously living in.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I doubt the Maclays were financing Tara in any meaningful way -- she's definitely a Pell Grant or a scholarship student. Willow's parents were probably funding her... which would probably be exactly why it wouldn't occur to her to realize the food and lights and all that on Revello Drive weren't free.
                                  sigpic
                                  Banner by LRae12

Comment

Working...
                                  X