age watching buffy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• age watching buffy

I am just wondering does anyone think they should be an age when they could stop watching buffy i am 20 years old guy i am still a huge fan of buffy anyone think it is wierd to still watch it at that age lol

No i don't think it's wierd at all.

As i've got 10 years on you if your in trouble i'm in serious trouble.
    JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
    Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

cool i ont in trouble i was just wondering but gotta say buffy is very cool show

Comment

It's not weird at all! You can keep watching over and over and still be entertained and see new things each time.

I don't think there's a time you should stop, unless you don't enjoy it anymore. If you don't enjoy it anymore, there's no real point in watching it. But, if you want to stop just because you think your too old, that's kinda pointless. Keep watching if you enjoy it

Comment

I've been watching the show since I was seven.
          I'm 18 now and still going strong.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm almost 25 so hell no it's not weird! Buffy isn't just a kid's show as some people might think, and it's completely normal for you to like it, you're not that old anyway for pete's sake.
            No power in the 'verse can stop me.

Comment

Well I celebrated my 50th birthday last month, so no, I think you can continue to enjoy Buffy at any age.

Comment

Every forum or board has its demographic, and here I would say we're all a real mixture of ages, all linked together because of our love/obsession with Buffy and other good TV shows.

As a member of a few forums this one is my addiction because I love the fact that we're all different yet respect is shown 99% of the time; this is a board that has rules and attracts members because members and mods care about keeping them.

I got off track, didn't I

Anyway. I had to buy the comic the other day and so I ditched my friends to go to the comic store and I joked to my best friend "I'm probably too old for these addictions" and her take was that getting into Buffy post teenagedom was a good thing since when people are younger they're more suceptable to fads and she felt that at least being a Buffy freak in mid 20s meant it was genuine!

Comment

Originally posted by sueworld View Post
                  Well I celebrated my 50th birthday last month, so no, I think you can continue to enjoy Buffy at any age.
                  YEA SUEWORLD!!!

I would say we need a "Council of Elders" Thread - but I'm afraid it would just be you and I talking to one another!! LOL! (not that that's a bad thing... )

Buffy is for ANY AGE that can keep up with it!
                  -TP<3
                  "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                  - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Buffy was never meant to be a kids' show! If you saw it in your teens or twenties, you will see certain elements in the story. Later on you will understand much more, especially after some study of literature , philosophy, and psychology.

This show was not designed to be for any specific age, although I do think that there is a point where people are too young for it. Case in point: Beauty and the Beast, season 3, is all about control of the Id. It features three monsters----werewolf/Oz, vampire/Angel, and the potion-drinking abusive boyfriend. Oz controls himself, Angel is controlled by Buffy, and the potion-drinking boyfriend never gets his aggressive nature under control at all. Watch it again, and think about how little a child would understand of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePoet's<3 View Post
                      YEA SUEWORLD!!!

I would say we need a "Council of Elders" Thread - but I'm afraid it would just be you and I talking to one another!! LOL! (not that that's a bad thing... )

Buffy is for ANY AGE that can keep up with it!
                      Oh, no - I'd be a member of that Council - and I didn't even start watching Buffy until I was in my 30's, so I don't think you have anything to worry about Major Buffy Fan!
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I started watching at age 35 (on DVD this last spring) and I don't feel old at all. When it was on TV I remember thinking it was kind of a kid's show or a teen show but I never really sat down and watched an episode.

I tended to like the show a little better after high school ended (seasons 4-7). The whole coming-of-age thing is something everyone can relate to. But even during the high school years the characters always seemed a little older. Compare the scoobies in season 1-3 with Dawn in season 7, and she seems a little more age appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Weredog View Post
                          I've been watching the show since I was seven.
                          I'm 18 now and still going strong.
                          Wow, that's pretty young to watch Buffy!

I don't think there's any age when you'd be too old to watch Buffy, but I do wonder as far as the other side of the spectrum, especially with the stuff that was going on in season 4 and 6. Of course I suppose a lot of sexual innuendo just goes over kids' heads at a certain age, but season 6 was so explicit....

So Weredog, just curious, what did you think of season 6 when you watched it at your age?
                          Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

I'm like Weredog, started when the show aired when I was 7 and I am now 18 and am still as obsessed with the show as I was back then. There are no limits to the age you have to be before being too old for the show by any means.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

well, he/she would have been 14 by the time season 6 rolled around... so i don't think it would be quite the same as a 7 year old watching that season (which i must say wouldn't be right--certainly not the sexcapades... though that probably would go straight over their heads). the first 5 seasons are fairly safe, though.

though i remember babysitting a few girls who were 10, 11 and 12, and they were watching smashed (this was before i was a fan--in fact, i hated btvs in those days). i was a little shocked, to say the least. it didn't help my opinion on the show at all.

it wasn't 'til a really bored summer that i gave the show a chance starting at "the yoko factor" (hence, my original spuffyness, until i saw the rest of both series). i actually had no idea their was a spinoff until i randomly spotted spike in "hellbound" (and i missed most of that season, so i actually got to see ats mostly from the beginning). btvs--i was introduced to the last 3 seasons before i saw the first 4 (and i missed a ton of episodes when i was daily obsessively trying to catch all the episodes on t.v.).

i remember almost crying when we went to arizona to visit some friends of ours and i missed a few episodes ("prophecy girl" and "when she was bad"). it was in the motorhome up in showlow, arizona that i showed my mother season 1 (minus "prophecy girl") that i had been diligently taping from the t.v. in super shatty quality. she liked it, and we went out that christmas and bought all 11 1/2 seasons!

i was 17 at that time. i'm 20 now. pretty good for going from hating what i had heard about the show to loving it--and changing 'shipper factions in the process (both finally seeing the early seasons and getting turned off by some fan behavior that i thought was waaaay over-the-top--these people coincidently enough have mostly left the fandom now--to the point they turned off somebody who once loved that 'ship... and as i said, i hadn't really seen a lot of early-btvs or ats at that point). oddly enough, i also started off preferring btvs and now i prefer ats. i find ats has more rewatchability for me.

i have to say the fandom has gotten nicer since the shows have ended. the flash-in-the-pan fans have pretty much all left and the 'shipper wars have become pretty equal on all sides... which is the way it should be. being bangel when btvs was still fresh was like being a persecuted species. i don't even want to know what it was like before the shows ended (i came in during the summer of 2004--never seeing the shows live). and liking ats or saying anything good about ats? i remember when i first was looking for forums that i saw nothing but hatred and refusal to watch the show. i think people got desperate enough to finally watch it with an open mind and many ended up liking it. it seems like around here the show events are pretty much spoken in the same breath as though everybody knows the shows pretty equally.

even in my short time in the fandom i've noticed a lot of change in the fanbase evening out.
                              NileQT87
                              The Dark Avenger
                              Last edited by NileQT87; 15-11-07, 06:21 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                              "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

season 6

I don't remember season 6 that well but it isnt that bad on the sexepdes is it ? i remember the whole "relantionship" between buffy and spike they had sex alot i think that was prob the most explict even then it wasnt that bad

overall i don't any season is that bad to watch at a young age

Comment

Originally posted by major_buffy_fan View Post
                                  I don't remember season 6 that well but it isnt that bad on the sexepdes is it ? i remember the whole "relantionship" between buffy and spike they had sex alot i think that was prob the most explict even then it wasnt that bad

overall i don't any season is that bad to watch at a young age
                                  I don't think attempted rape is anything a young child should really be seeing. But as far as the sex goes, I actually do think it'd go right over their heads anyway.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

when i said young age i mean roughly 15+

Comment

Well I was watching season six when it was airing and I must have been in 8th grade at the time, which means I was 12/13 and I turned out ok... I hope.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I guess I was about 27 when Buffy started, but I didn't watch it until later. I'm 38 now and do get some ill-informed mocking about watching it from time to time - I remember my dad saying "I thought you'd grown out of that" - my response was "How can you grow out of watching something that you love?"

I have a 14 year old daughter and only now do I think she's mature enough to watch season 6 and have some understanding of the issues. Even then "Life as the Big Bad" will go over your head when you're that age too.

My neice was writing a piece for her degree course on female empowerment and she included BtVS as an example of hollywood getting right.

Nah, you're never too old for anything in my book!

Originally Posted by ThePoet's<3
                                        I would say we need a "Council of Elders" Thread
                                        Ooh can I join and can we be called The Watcher's Council?!
                                        sigpic

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

Comment

Working...
                                        X