"Family"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Family"

I have Been Rewatching Season 5 of Buffy and Just got done rewatching Family and Realized How good of an Episode it really Was, What do all of u think about the Episode? Do u like it? Hate it? IMO When I watch it I thought that it was just Suberb in the way it was Written and Played out. The best part was without Doubt Last few minutes of the Episodes. When Tara Finds out that,that she hasnt gone unnoticed and she's no longer an Outcast in her own mind and feels that she is accepted as part of the "Scoobies". Well tell me your thoughts Thanks.
    sigpic

I hate this episode.. I felt that it was a sub par writing.. and just didn't add enough to the story. Oh, Tara's a possible demon.. she might not be here anymore.. It was too early for her character to have a centric episode that would affect the watcher's interest.
    sigpic

-Sig by BlasterBoy-

Comment

I wasn't a fan of Tara when she first appeared in the series. I was an avid Willow/Oz shipper, so see my Willow choose Tara instead of him was heartbreaking for me. When I first watched "Family," I fell in love with Tara. I accepted her as Scooby member just as the gang did then. I then became Willow/Tara shipper from then on out. That being said, I loved the episode.

Now retrospectively, I do find the episode a little weak. It wasn't bad, but I do find the "we're family" bit a little cheesy. I always think I'm watching a scene from 7 Heaven when it comes up. I think it was the music that made me cringe the most.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm not a massive Family fan either, but I didn't think it was cheesy. My favourite moment is the one between Buffy and Xander about how they don't get Tara, because it was how I felt... and it was nice that Joss confirmed me as not being nuts. I personally didn't get into Tillow till they broke up and we got to see some solo Tara. Then she got a little more respect from me, but as I rewatch the show their relationship is really sweet, sucks that she died But then again I wouldn't give the evil Willow arc away.
        sigpic

Comment

In terms of quality, direction and other theoretical stuff, it's not the best ep ever, but i really love this one..
          I think it's kind of a turning point for Tara, her relationship with the scoobies does changes after that. It's kinda the 1st time she feels accepted by herself and not just "willow's girlfriend".
          i think this line's mostly filler...

Comment

I love Family, I thought it was great that Tara was given a more central part on the show. I find it really emotional when she is finally accepted at the end, I was really interested in this one too as she was very suspicious.
            sigpic

Comment

I don't think it's a brilliant epp--I don't understand why it gets so much love in some of the forum games for example--it's not the best season 5 epp, but it's still sweet and nice, and as per being a season 5 epp, isn't a stinker by any means....I'd call it okay, mediocre maybe, but still decent.
              Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

Well I quite liked this episode, perhaps because Tara is in it more (Althought I like her alot better in season 6), I guess I am just that kind of person that would love this episode, and I thought some moments were sweet, and I liked the scene where Spike punches Tara and Willow is like "Hey!" and then "OHH, hey" because she realizes what it meant.

Hilda Celeriac: You better tell me everything or I am gonna go Lex Luthor on your ass!
                Hey guys, if you know Amber is coming to Brisbane or anywhere near it, then page me (Well PM, just referencing Buffy)

Comment

I liked this episode, I thought the ending rocked with Buffy standing up for Tara and the other Scoobies following in suit, and Tara's confident "dad just go" and her smile at the end was unlike anything we'd seen in her character, thought it was great. Not the best episode, nowhere near one of the worst.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I'm also firmly in the Family camp. I think it's a lovely little ep, quite gentle in a way and one that stresses the importance of the bonds that exist, not just between Tara and the scoobies but between the scoobies themselves. I'm not the hugest Tara fan and until this ep i thought she'd come across as a little too goody-goody but Family fleshes out the character nicely and adds a little more depth and substance to her.

Plus Spike punching Tara
                    JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
                    Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

I just re-watched this -- it was a very good episode. So very Scoobyish in every way. The whole conversation between Buffy and Xander over Tara's birthday was great. "But with Tara, all I know is that she likes Willow, and she already has one of those".

Also, great scooby moments in the Bronze scene, even without dialogue -- Willow and Xander sharing a private conversation and laughing at something.

I also think Joss did a good job slow-playing the "she's not a demon" reveal -- when Tara's dad starts explaining "that's where the magic comes from", at the moment he's saying it, it sounds perfectly plausible for the Buffyverse and none of the Scoobies question it on principle. Nobody would have, until Anya asked about what kind of demon she was.
                      sigpic
                      Banner by LRae12

Comment

Actually my feelings for "Family" are so complicated, I mean the main thing it points out about Tara's place in the Scoobie Gang is so meaningful but I don't like it as a whole episode..
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by selenspuffy View Post
                          Actually my feelings for "Family" are so complicated, I mean the main thing it points out about Tara's place in the Scoobie Gang is so meaningful but I don't like it as a whole episode..
                          Yes, my feelings are as same as yours. It just has this main message and that's it. Nothing special except for this.

Comment

tara

i enjoyed that one because i am a fan of Tara and didnt want her to go i thought i was funny when spike said about tara being a demon was a legend to keep ladies in line and said " i like u " because of that and everyone stood up for Tara i thought yay

Comment

Things I loved about "Family": (not in any special order

1. Harmony's incredibly funny and dippy report of her "shopping trip", and Spike's double take. "Oh no, I just ate the clerk! But still, a bargain's a bargain!"

2. Spike's battle between hatred for the Slayer and love for Buffy. He's delighted to hear that the demons are after her, goes to the Magic Box to watch, then ends up defending her from the demons she cannot see. His efforts are unobserved, as usual!

3. Tara's character develops from the fearful, shy, stammering girl at the beginning of the episode to one who can assert herself. "Dad, just go."

4. The theme of our real family---the people who really support us.

5. Its portrayal of family exploitation. Tara's family want her back so that Dad and Donny won't have to "do for themselves". Her father states, "We know how to control her.......problem." His real meaning is that they know how to control HER. With mother gone, their real interest is obtaining an unpaid housekeeper. Her brutish brother doesn't hesitate to threaten her in public with physical violence. "If you don't get in that car, I will beat you down."

6. Glory, who manages to be funny, wacky, and incredibly scary all at once.

7. Maybe Tara's magic can be taken as a double metaphor here----for unseen or unappreciated talents, and also of course for her unconventional relationship with Willow.

8. Spike, as usual, is in denial about his own feelings. He states that he doesn't care what happens, then proceeds to punch Tara to prove that she is not a demon, in spite of the pain this will cause him. I loved it! And again, nobody expresses any appreciation for what he's done.

9. Remember Willow and Tara dancing in the Bronze, both so happy they rise up in the air? It was great to see somebody happy on a Joss show-and a moment to remember!

Comment

I am watching this again right now -- it's worth noting (congratulating, even) that they got away with *probably* the dirtiest joke they ever pulled of on television on this show. Even dirtier than when they pulled a similar joke in the musical.
                                sigpic
                                Banner by LRae12

Comment

which joke was that coz i not seen that episode in a while

Comment

Spike is having a fight with Buffy that turns out to be a fantasy; Buffy charges at him saying "Oh, I'm coming. I'm coming right NOW", from which they smash-cut to Spike and Harmony in bed
                                    sigpic
                                    Banner by LRae12

Comment

ah i c ur point lol

Comment

Working...
                                      X