Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which season's Spike do you prefer?

Hi everybody!!
    I started to think about Spike these days.
    Spike came to Buffy in season 2 as an evil vampire who had killed 2 slayers before... In season 4, the military put a ''bloody'' chip in his head. In season 5, he has fallen in love with Buffy. At the end, he got his soul back... In every season, we can see a change in Spike. Which Spike do you prefer?
    A bloody one or a hero one? An evil guy or a lover??
    Have fun!!
    Season 2
    31.19%
    Season 3
    9.17%
    Season 4
    13.76%
    Season 5
    14.68%
    Season 6
    12.84%
    Season 7
    18.35%

I voted for seasons 2 and 3. I liked the evil version of Spike more than the I need Buffy to love me Spike. Season 2's Spike was a lot more interesting than all the other years. His jealousy of Angelus. Him thinking Dru was more impressed with Angelus than him was a fun look at their relationship. I especially like the interaction between Spike and Joyce toward the end of the season. That uncomfortable silence between them was great. Season 3 Spike I like how he came back after being dumped by Dru again. His little speech to Buffy and Angel in Lover's Walk about how they'll never be friends was great. I really liked heartbroken Spike in the earlier seasons. Not the heartbroken Spike over Buffy.
    T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Comment

Okay, I voted for season 5 and 7, even if I love the spuffy in season 6, it was more their relationship than Spike himself that I liked, though in season 6 I liked him in the early when he's Buffy confident and during rape scene in Seeing Red cause he's really pathetic...a fool for love.
      But I voted first season 5, because first seeing him obessing on Buffy was cute (Out Of My Mind, Into The Woods), than trying to make her love him was touching (Fool For Love, Crush). When she starts having feeling for him, it's just beautiful (Intervetion, the last scene is so, so touching) and duin the last episodes he's really dark, bitter even, like he knew what's to come, The Gift failure being a good conclusion of season 5 Spike.
      Season 7, because insane Spike is funny and touching(Beneath You, Same Time Same Place, Selfless), then I really like tortured Spike, completely harmless (Sleeper), then Buffy starts to feel for him and that's pretty (Never Leave Me) before she starts to have deep feelings (end of Showtime), Spike feeling that he can be loved is pretty. I like flashbacksSpike in LMPTM, less the present Spike here (I don't like the "I didn't killed him cause I killed his mother"...I mean he has a soul, he shouldn't want to kill him). Then Spike/Faith interaction are really funny, then Touched Spike, finally in love and loved back, ready to give his life for ultimate redemption. Spike really was a fool for love...
      sigpic

Comment

S5 and S6 Spike. Much deeper than the "bad guy" Spike or "comic relief" Spike, but without losing his attitude or his sense of humor. Loved his journey to redemption, starting when he realized his feelings for Buffy. James did his best acting in those two seasons, too, in my eyes (those two and the beginning of Season 7, before he went off the Method).

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

Season 2, hands down. I loved his character then so much. I love the guy who protects Dru so effortlessly. He was the villian you never wanted to see dusted.

Whosoever Shall Call Upon the Name of the Lord Shall Be Saved!

Comment

Personality wise, seasons 2 and 4 were the greatest for him.

He could've broken out into a more serious role the way he did in 5, 6, 7 while still retaining the same degree of humor he displayed in 4, but he didn't. That was always one of my biggest quarrels with Spuffy, in that Spike lost a lot of his flavor during it; his sense of humor was toned down considerably (not to say he still wasn't funny at times).

This is why I loved Spike on the final season of AtS, while a lot of other people were against it for whatever reason (didn't belong, too much of a dick, undermined his death, etc). He was an important character there beyond comic relief, and at the same time was just as funny as he was in season 4 of BtVS.

And season 2 I voted for because it was the only real season we have of Spike as a villain, other than one episode in season 3 and some flashbacks later on. He and Dru made for a very entertaining villainous combo.

Comment

I voted for season 2 Spike. I thought he was most interesting as a villian, worked best as someone who'd pop up and cause trouble and still had the actual badass attitude instead of trying to convince people that he did. I actually would disagree with Eisny in saying he didn't loose his attitude in s6 especially, I actually thought he lost a lot of his charm and really did loose some of his spark. I found the pathetic Spike of s6 and some of s5 to be tiresome by the end and much preffered him when he was a badass with Dru and Angelus.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Season five.

You wanna know why? Because thats the season where Spike finally came into his own, and that was mainly down to 'Fool For Love'.

I remember Marti Noxon talking about it in a magazine interview a long while back. She said uptil then Spike had always been a popular character, but after FFL his fan mail had gone through the roof!

FFL really took the character way beyond 'cardboard villain' and fleshed him out into something far more complex and interesting. That combined with the 'unrequited love' sub plot that ran through that season, made it unmissable viewing in my house at least.

I was hooked, and from that day onwards I never looked back. I was Spike all the way baby!

Comment

I voted season 4 as i thought Spike as a recurring character was brilliant. What destroyed the character for me was making him a main character in season 6. He was a far better recurring character than a main one.

Comment

Yeah, I think he was a little better as the male Cordelia type character, loved him then... which was around season 4-5. Still love him, season 6 and some of 7 wasn't a huge fan.. actually parts of season6 just plain disliked him. But I never joined the 'stake spike club' so guess I didn't hate him for long
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                      I found the pathetic Spike of s6 and some of s5 to be tiresome by the end and much preffered him when he was a badass with Dru and Angelus.
                      James has talked a bit about that...

James Marsters: Well that's the thing, you know at first I just thought that Joss -- he didn't want me cool, he was what, jealous or something? But that's not it. For him, cool is not interesting. For him badass is very easy to set up. It's like [dismissively] "set him up as a badass, and take him down, it's no problem..." For him the human journey is more interesting. And that involves a lot more humiliation so I came to understand that he really was putting his hand in and really dealing with the character, and trying to make him something that was sustainable. If you notice, Buffy goes through humiliation after humiliation after humiliation -- they all do. In Joss's world that's just life. So it means -- it actually means he likes me a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Enisy View Post
                        James has talked a bit about that...

James Marsters: Well that's the thing, you know at first I just thought that Joss -- he didn't want me cool, he was what, jealous or something? But that's not it. For him, cool is not interesting. For him badass is very easy to set up. It's like [dismissively] "set him up as a badass, and take him down, it's no problem..." For him the human journey is more interesting. And that involves a lot more humiliation so I came to understand that he really was putting his hand in and really dealing with the character, and trying to make him something that was sustainable. If you notice, Buffy goes through humiliation after humiliation after humiliation -- they all do. In Joss's world that's just life. So it means -- it actually means he likes me a lot.
                        For me, cool is interesting

We have plenty of characters that suffer humiliation after humiliation without appearing to be utterly pathetic by the end of it. In episodes like 'Crush' Spike was pretty pathetic in some scenes, such as following Buffy to her house after she repeatedly told him to leave her alone. This was the intention of the writers but doesn't mean I have to enjoy it. Buffy may have suffered humiliation after humiliation but I found it made her character more endearing, I got the total opposite from Spike.

Spike was a character who was noticed because of his 'coolness.' Many fans like other aspects of him of course, but his fanbase largely began because of the cool factor. He developed into a different character as time went on and many fans enjoyed that, but I didn't. As I stated above, some character suffer humiliations but they do it with more dignity, the writers intent to make Spike utterly pathetic was too much for me, it made me dislike his character and just made Spike in s6 and some moments of s5 irritating to me.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Well, Joss didn't think there was anything sustainable in Spike until he saw him pathetic and humiliated in "Lover's Walk", so your views differ vastly. Considering Spike is still a fan favourite if there ever was one, I think he must've done something right.

Comment

Originally posted by Enisy View Post
                            Well, Joss didn't think there was anything sustainable in Spike until he saw him pathetic and humiliated in "Lover's Walk", so your views differ vastly. Considering Spike is still a fan favourite if there ever was one, I think he must've done something right.
                            Our views do differ vastly, but it isn't a requirement as a Buffy fan to agree with everything Joss says In terms of what Joss found more interesting in Spike, he is just like any other fan of the character, picking his favourite Spike, it in no ways means as a fan of the show we have to automatically agree with what he says. It isn't a canonical issue, it is Joss' opinion on a character of the show and nothing more than that, our opinion is just as valid as his opinion regardless of who he is.

Like anyone, Joss has his favourite characters, seasons and moments in the show. I'm sure there are many people out there who didn't agree with his top ten favourite episode list for Btvs or his favourite moments list for Ats, and I'm sure there are many who do. Each to their own, as in this circumstance as well.

You are right in saying many fans still enjoyed Spike's character, but by looking at this poll (being fully aware that an internet poll is just that, an internet poll that'll change the other way every five minutes) others did enjoy s2 Spike more. There is no right or wrong answer regardless of Joss' opinion. Joss thought the more depressed and dark Buffy got the more interesting she became, some agreed, in the case of Buffy I agreed with him because I liked the effect it had on *her* character, however her character also lost a lot of fans in the last two seasons as many found her plain unlikeable. All depends on your own personal preference, and in this case I found Spike's character to worsen in later seasons.

In saying that I did enjoy parts of Spike in the later seasons. I didn't have a big problem with him in s5, I certainly didn't like what he did to Buffy in 'Crush' but then I can't say I liked him trying to kill her in earlier seasons either, so it wasn't a surprise to me how he acted. I still found him entertaining to watch in s5, I really enjoyed 'Fool For Love' and his relationship with Dawn. In s6 his involvement with Buffy became too personal for me in terms of the effect it had on my fave character, which in part could be why I dislike him in that season, and in seven aside from his crazy moments and some parts I did find him a tad boring. But didn't hate his character in s7, s5 or early s6 by any stretch of the imagination, I just like early Spike a hell of a lot more.
                            Last edited by vampmogs; 22-10-07, 04:23 PM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Five I reckon. He goes through some interesting developments and changes. And as Sueworld said, it's got Fool for Love which throws a new light on everything Spike-related. It exposes him as a liar (always been bad? Bollocks!) but also as someone with a vulnerable side. He's gone from wacky neighbour in season 4 to someone who's showing the potential to be, not necessarily good, but to get into the fight, even if for his own stupid selfish reasons. And occasionally, a better man shines through (especially in the ep where they're all driving away in that van. Offering to let Tara play peek a boo with mr sunshine seemed like it was done out of genuine good fellow-feeling...it wasn't a grand gesture, it just seemed...human, somehow).

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

I would have to say the 6th season b/c its when you saw more of his body. I really dont like the fact that Spike and Buffy were sleeping together I just like the fact that his body was shown more and he was so sweet. I cant stress it more he was just sexy in the 6th season;until he tried to rape Buffy. thats when everything went down the drain from me.
                                East Wick Season Two -Coming Soon-

Banner By: Pandora's Box

Comment

I have voted for season 7 & 2, I love the different side of spike in these two seasons, the bad, evil side we saw in season 2 I love his evilness in this season I think he's hilarious. In season 7 we saw the souled spike which again I love, how sweet and caring for others which is a big turn around from season 2 spike, i love every spike really except Rape buffy Spike

Comment

I voted for season 7. I like Spike in season 5-6, but season 7 is his highlight.
                                    ________
                                    AVANDIA HEART ATTACK
                                    Last edited by Moscow Watcher; 18-03-11, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Spike, hey!! thanks for this wonderful poll Spuffbeste!
                                      Um..gotta say 5, 6 and 7.. he's so funny and kinda centric in those seasons, that's why I think s5 s6 and 7.
                                      He has a soul and he's so helpful in s7. In s6 he's so funny again and in 5, we see that he loves Buffy and what things he can risk for her
                                      Anyway he's perfect in every season..
                                      sigpic

Comment

There is no Spike not to like. I love Spike in all seasons, he is passionate, exciting, hysterical, sexy, the list goes on. But since his part is larger and his costar Sarah gives him that sexual tension, I'll have to go with the last three seasons, Season 5, 6, and 7.

Comment

Working...
                                        X