Best Joss BtVS episode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Joss BtVS episode

So here's the Joss poll for Buffy... mostly because it's my day off and I'm bored But also cause Joss polls are cool, it's really hard to pick just one. I'm not sure which one I'm voting for yet... it's a toss up between Innocence, Becoming.. The Freshman and OMWF.. Owh! and Doppelgangland.
    Let us know which episode you picked, and why.

I also may have missed a few minor episodes he might have co-written because we're only allowed 20 options.
    Welcome to the Hellmouth/Harvest
    0.00%
    Nightmares
    0.00%
    Prophercy Girl
    0.00%
    When She Was Bad
    0.00%
    Lie to Me
    0.00%
    Innocence
    10.26%
    Becoming Pt1&2
    12.82%
    Anne
    0.00%
    Amends
    7.69%
    Doppelgangland
    0.00%
    Graduation Day Pt1&2
    7.69%
    The Freshman
    0.00%
    Who Are You
    2.56%
    Restless
    2.56%
    Family
    0.00%
    The Body
    10.26%
    The Gift
    10.26%
    Once More With Feeling
    28.21%
    Lessons
    0.00%
    Chosen
    7.69%
    Last edited by alexa; 02-10-07, 03:36 AM.
    sigpic

Once More With Feeling. I don't care if it is the obvious choice. Just the amount of work and thought that went into that ep is amazing. And he wrote the songs too! And they are so good. He had plenty of good eps but this one is just stellar in every way.
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I picked OMwF.I love that epi and like Jenni Lou wrote a lot of hard work went into it .....
      and the songs are awesome the dancing and its always a pick me up episode for me and don't forget the Spike and Buffy kiss. This one was a hard one though I also wanted to pick The Body.

Comment

This poll is insanely hard! It's like choosing your favorite episode! In the end, I said The Gift because that is my all time favorite episode....for now, at least. The Gift is superb, though! It has action (big fight!) and emotion (just watch the episode and you'll know ). Plus, killer character moments (Giles killing Ben!) and comedy ("Did everyone else know that the slayer is a robot?!"). I think it's an all around FANTASTIC episode!

OMWF is good, but nowhere near the best for Joss, imo. Yes, the effort and thought is tremendous and this certainly takes the cake for "toughest episode" or "longest to make episode". But, I think it gets repetitive and some of the stuff is annoying. Like, Xander summoning The Sweet. I don't believe Xander, right here and now, would do that, not after all his experiences. Also, Dawn's idiocy comes here again with her taking a random magical item from the magic shop because she likes it Okay, no more OMWF rant Hope that wasn't off-topic

Comment

Once More with Feeling. It was such an awsome storyline!! There were so many actions generated from that episode!
          -TP<3
          "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
          - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

I picked Chosen because it's my all time favorite episode...
            sigpic

Comment

The Gift, Obviously. I just LOVE that episode. I watched it 1000 times and in each and every time i couldn't get more excited and sad. Such great acting, writing and directing. It was and still is my all time favorite.

Comment

Hey where's Hush by the way?
                sigpic

Comment

Very, very hard decision, and I'd caveat my choice with "I might just as easily choose another ep on another day". But I've been thinking about slayer identity, Buffy and Faith a lot after reading the recent comics, so I'm going with "Who are you". A fascinating ep, exploring what it means to be the good guy, and how much of that is tied up with how people respond to you. It's like a mini essay on psychology and society. With SMG being all Faithy and hot

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Is that all Joss did? Is this writing, directing, or both? I haven't voted yet, but I will, and will add more to the conversation, just wondering? Seems like that's not many... I see it's just 20 coz that's the option...?

Comment

One thing I'd like to note is that OMWF lost out for me because of Xander's part in it. The fact that he was the cause of all the burning and dying and yet a) he didn't give any hint that he was aware of what was going on, even though this seems implausible and b) there were no repercussions for him, even though his spell led to people dying!

It just felt like lazy writing, that they wanted to create a twist (it not being dawn) for the sake of a twist. Mind you, I didn't notice this until a few viewings in (or at least it didn't start to bug me) so it's a testament to how strong the rest of the ep is.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

It is really really tough Ive voted for OMWF but its not my fave one through all the epps, actually Body is great, Chosen is good, Becoming, Doppelgangland..every ep is that way but sometimes I just want to watch funny stuff and OMWF is a great selection for that
                        sigpic

Comment

I love all the Joss episodes. I voted for "The Body". It was a toss up between a few. I picked the body because of how brave it is to do an episode of television without any background music. Also the way he showed the differences with dealing with death was masterful. I don't know how anyone can watch that episode and not cry the whole way through.

Also all the good things to say about OMWF are done already lol
                          "You're the one Buffy"

Comment

I went for Restless, after much thought and consternation... I just really enjoy it all the time- I love dream sequences at all times, so a whole ep, for me is gold. But, it was a hard choice. Damn those tricky poll makers!

Comment

I loved Chosen. It was gorgeous with rich storyline, strong characters, romance, everything you need. I also love Once More With Feeling, but Chosen is just a little better to me.

Comment

I went with Graduation Day because it is my fave season finale and definately in my top 10. I find it very overwhelming when everyone fights with Buffy to kill the mayor. I think it was a fantastic storyline.
                                sigpic

Comment

I voted for Innocence, basically because I think it's the most well balanced episode of Buffy, and it has everything the show represents captured in one episode. I suppose the same could be said for The Gift, and maybe Chosen or Prophecy Girl... or Becoming even, but I love how Buffy rises out of something so horrible and does what she has to... then kicks Angelus in the balls, it's beautiful.
                                  The only episodes up there I'm not in love with would be Lessons.. and most of Welcome to the Hellmouth and Anne. Is it weird that I like them listening to the commentary though? Heh, not sure why, but Joss' commentaries are always so entertaining.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Ah, so many choices! I chose 'The Body', followed very closely by 'Innocence'. The one thing that I've always admired about Joss is his knowledge of human pain. Oh the pain and the angst and the heartbreak, that man can bring it all out of me. 'The Body' is the next step on 'Innocence' for me, with the reality of the human world and the fragility of people's mortality. It's so honest and so brave and groundbreaking in that he didn't use music, he showed the different reactions from everyone, Anya's confusion, Willow's desire to honor Joyce's memory with the sweater, Xander's need for physical relief. It's so warming that they all come together. And when Dawn broke down? I can't watch this episode without sobbing, because it reminds me of losses that I've suffered and it's so easy to relate to. Plus, Joss doesn't stop for one minute. He keeps going with the pain and the shock of the loss, it's simply one of the most brilliant episodes of the series.

Comment

The Gift for me. I could write endlessly about it, and I still can't quite get my head around the whole thing at once. So, I'll focus on the ending for now.

The bittersweetness of Buffy's death is staggering. For one, well, Buffy's dead and Dawn's trying to keep her chin up. But the beauty of this wrap-up in Buffy's character is just as powerful, and the love that motivates her sacrifice adds a positive note. The score aids both emotions, somehow, so I'm stuck between "look at what Buffy does for Dawn, wow, this is a moving and human story" and "crap, Buffy's dead and everyone's all sad about it" and end up crying anyway.

And all this happens in the last 3-4 minutes of the episode, leaving plenty of room for all the other really important events, which miraculously don't make the episode seem crowded! This is pretty much why Chosen isn't at the top of my list. It seemed as though the events should've been drawn out more, considering the timeline (2, 3 days?) Anyhow, The Gift manages to put just as much important content in an in-series day as Chosen does in 3 days.

Plus, we have Glory get her anti-human ass kicked, which I wanted to see since her appearance; Giles is still willing to save the world by killing the people who in Buffy's eyes make it worth living in; Willow gets to bring Tara back and has a great first appearance in the battle, swinging into the shot next to Glory; Xander gets his moment; Anya comes out swinging (literally) and saves Xander; and Spike tries his hardest to protect Dawn, which is something to cherish because it all gets thrown away within half a year. Like I said, I could write about The Gift forever. Stopping now...
                                      Buffy: It sounds like it's difficult for you. Maybe your sister makes it hard for you to establish your own identity. You said she's controlling, she doesn't let you make your own decisions -
                                      Dawn: Yeah, and she borrows my clothes without asking.

Comment

How in the world do you pick just one? I love Joss eps, and I have a lot of favorites, but I will restrain myself and choose only one...

I chose Becoming 1&2 since Season 2 is my all time favorite (closely followed by S5) and I just love everything about the show, especially the sword fighting. There's so much I love about the eps...the heartbreak, loss of everything and everyone, Buffy's choice to do the right thing because she knew it needed to be done...I could go on and on, but I will stop for now.
                                        It's blood...It's just like mine.
                                        It doesn't matter where you came from or how you got here.

You are my sister.

Comment

Working...
                                        X