Revisiting the idea of a Buffy movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisiting the idea of a Buffy movie

The quote itself comes from October of last year, so it's hardly new, but I first saw it on the "Ripper" thread, and was surprised. In this comment, SMG seems to be reversing her once absolute stand that she was done with this character. To me, that should make the idea of a movie fair game.

I think it would make a great October/November or March/April release off-season tentpole movie for FOX or any other studio that could purchase the rights to make it.

My questions... would you want this? If you could have it, what would you want for it? Would you want written/directed by Joss without question, or are there other people you'd like to see write, co-write and/or direct the film with Joss being the presumptive exec producer? What type of story would you want for it?
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

I would definetly want this to happen. As long it's well written, directed and acted. I would really like to see Joss himself doing all the work.. I most say that his episodes are the one that I love.

Comment

This is why the comics are so important as it has already been established that they are canon. SMG will only do a movie if she likes they character relationships. That means that there will be no Spuffy as she didnt like that one.

Comment

I would actually love to see Joss confine himself mostly to exec producer and maybe co-writer on the screenplay (perhaps with Doug Petrie, whose Buffy scripts usually had the most "epic" scale in terms of action). To direct, I would not mind at all to see a Christopher Nolan take it on (Batman Begins, Memento), or James McTeigue (V for Vendetta, first assistant director on the Matrix trilogy).
        sigpic
        Banner by LRae12

Comment

It's not a bad idea, I guess. And since s8 is cannon it would be cool if they did something that happens with that/after that. It would also allow for bigger budget spectacles. There's so much they couldn't do in the show that they can do in a comic book and also, a movie.
          sigpic
          follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I would love a Buffy movie and would also love for Joss to do everything.I would like it to be a "where are they now type thing" but well there is already the comics.So maybe After the comics.

Comment

If there were to be a Buffy movie I'd like it to either tie in with the season eight comics, which means Scotland based with the BHC or before the comics and just after Sunnydale. I don't want to see anything that has taken place after season 8 because that wouldn't make very much sense.

I'd love for Joss to both write and direct the movie just to stay safe. I love his scripts and think he can do some very interesting things with the camera when he has time, 'Serenity' was wonderfully shot as was episodes like 'A Hole In The World' 'The Body' and 'OMWF' just to name a few.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

A hard-core whedon site like whedonesque or whedonopolis would be jumping up and down if anything remotely real was happening on a Buffy movie.

The reasons why, apart from there's no jumping up and down at the moment, it is unlikely to me is:

* Joss has spoken about a Big Damn Movie, but he's referring to Serenity II, not Buffy

* S8 comics. Why invest time and commitment to the comics if a movie is in the pipeline

* getting the actors together: of the two main ships, Spuffy would lose 50% of the potential audience and David Boreanaz on a recent interview linked via whedonesque.com has said basically he'd consider an Angel movie, but not a Buffy movie
                * supporting the WGA strikers *

Comment

Oh, I never meant to imply it was happening or was even likely, just to shoot the breeze about it. On the production level, though, I almost think it would be more likely than a Serenity sequel, because I'm guessing Buffy is seen as a more bankable property, and it definitely has more bankable actors in the form of the two top billed actresses.

I won't argue with a Big Damn Sequel, though.
                  sigpic
                  Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by ferdy-m View Post
                    * getting the actors together: of the two main ships, Spuffy would lose 50% of the potential audience and David Boreanaz on a recent interview linked via whedonesque.com has said basically he'd consider an Angel movie, but not a Buffy movie
                    So I too have heard that SMG would not do a Spuffy movie, so that is apparently that. (Although I suppose it is possible that with time and such, she could change her mind.) But I wonder about your position here. Now I am well aware that a lot of people feel strongly for or against the Spuffy ship. In fact I would say that, given the volatile nature of the Spuffy shippers thread, it is the ship that causes that strongest feelings one way or the other. However, I wonder if people would simply not watch if one ship was supported over the other. I am pro-Spuffy, but if Joss made a movie I'd watch even if it was Bangel. So I'm wondering if their are a lot of folks out there that would just staunchly refuse to view a Spuffy movie. I think not-I mean clearly the ship would likely be only a small part of the movie and these people did keep watching the show. Just my thoughts-I wonder what other folks are thinking?
                    "All I ask is that... that you try to see me."

Comment

No point in the thread if it's just going to be another referendum on Spuffy. I think it's moot; Marsters has said for at least a year that he doesn't think he should be playing Spike for much longer, if at all.

Do I think the plot would be Spuffy-related? No. Has nothing to do with anything beyond the willingness of the star, although the studio might not want it either for concerns over the box office and sequel hopes.
                      sigpic
                      Banner by LRae12

Comment

To be honest i think i'm fairly content with the season 8 continuation as it stands. Any T.V or film continuation needs to tell a different story to me, maybe focus on other characters like faith or giles (Ripper, please be good).

Actually what i would love to see is a film or series that gives us a new slayer to obsess about, maybe going back in time to one of the previous slayers that have been written about or even perhaps a Fray movie. Now that i would pay to see.
                        JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
                        Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

I'm not sure about a Buffy movie, because I feel the type of story it is works so much better as a sequential narrative, resisting that closure (even Chosen, for all its irritating triumphalism, ends with a "what next?").

If they did do a movie, i'd like to avoid it being an all-action lets-milk-the-special-effects-budget-and-forget-character-development-and-quirkiness affair. I felt Serenity lost some of the interesting nuances of Firefly in that regard - it kinda lost the cowboy elements (which I loved) and some of the day to day feel of the show (which, ditto).

If they did a Buffy movie, it would be good if they could focus as much as possible on a small group of characters. Well, the scoobies basically, with perhaps a few young slayers coming up to join the A-team. To avoid it feeling just like an episode stretched out, there'd have to be a villain that was bigger than a MOTW, but not one that required a slow seeding of motives and plans. So, a returning villain?

Otherwise, imo, it would be too much of a jolt from the pace of Buffy the show...though I imagine a completely different pace could work if done in a completely fresh way, ie not trying to be like the show, but more using the Buffy characters to do something that works in a different way. Perhaps more of a character study movie? Oooh, I'd love to see an Almodovar version...slayers on the verge of an apocalypse?

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Originally posted by tangent View Post
                            To be honest i think i'm fairly content with the season 8 continuation as it stands. Any T.V or film continuation needs to tell a different story to me, maybe focus on other characters like faith or giles (Ripper, please be good).

Actually what i would love to see is a film or series that gives us a new slayer to obsess about, maybe going back in time to one of the previous slayers that have been written about or even perhaps a Fray movie. Now that i would pay to see.
                            Ooh yes! A fray movie could WROK. Or a completely new slayer, yes, that could work too. Maybe baseball girl

Comment

Add Alfonso Cuaron to my list of welcome directors. I am one of the movie fans, ambivalent toward the books, that recognizes "Prisoner of Azkaban" as one of the better films. Plus, "Children of Men" was exquisite -- he and Joss could get together and try to do the entire movie as a oner.
                              sigpic
                              Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by Dorian's Kitten View Post
                                So I too have heard that SMG would not do a Spuffy movie, so that is apparently that. (Although I suppose it is possible that with time and such, she could change her mind.) But I wonder about your position here. Now I am well aware that a lot of people feel strongly for or against the Spuffy ship. In fact I would say that, given the volatile nature of the Spuffy shippers thread, it is the ship that causes that strongest feelings one way or the other. However, I wonder if people would simply not watch if one ship was supported over the other. I am pro-Spuffy, but if Joss made a movie I'd watch even if it was Bangel. So I'm wondering if their are a lot of folks out there that would just staunchly refuse to view a Spuffy movie. I think not-I mean clearly the ship would likely be only a small part of the movie and these people did keep watching the show. Just my thoughts-I wonder what other folks are thinking?
                                Wether it be Bangel, Spuffy, Bander or Ruffy I'd watch the movie with much enthusiasm. I may hate some ships, like others and prefer one ship over the other but IMO the ships aren't the be all and end all of the Buffyverse and I'm personally attracted to the other qualities of the television show more. I understand that to some fans the ships are very important but IMO Joss didn't create this show just so we could watch characters macking on each other, he created it to represent a strong iconic character and he succeeded. The show has many other qualities that make it the success it is and IMO most fans would still watch the movie regardless of the ship because that isn't the only thing they like about the show. I personally don't believe Joss would be too broken up if a portion of the fans refused to watch because of what ship he gave preference to, I actually don't think they could call themselves true Buffy fans if that is all they are interested in and it wasn't what he created the show for.

I think forums like this are evidence that whilst the ships are a important part of the show there are many other things to discuss which interest people who are fans of the show. So whatever ship would be in the movie, if there would even be one, I'd watch it regardless if I liked the ship or not. Heck, if I stopped watching because I didn't like a ship I wouldn't have watched season six or season seven and would have tuned in only on a casual basis for the other five seasons of the show.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by Dorian's Kitten View Post
                                  So I too have heard that SMG would not do a Spuffy movie, so that is apparently that. (Although I suppose it is possible that with time and such, she could change her mind.) But I wonder about your position here.
                                  My position is irrelevant because talking shipping in this thread is just asking for unnecessary grief.

I meant, to put it more clearly, that the reaction of any strong shippers to waiting years for a Buffy movie and then seeing one ship chosen over another, is going to be at least discomfort and more likely, real disappointment.

My response, regardless of shipping forecasts, is a big Yes, to any Buffy movie, but that's assuming it was written and directed by Joss Whedon.
                                  * supporting the WGA strikers *

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
                                    I'm not sure about a Buffy movie, because I feel the type of story it is works so much better as a sequential narrative, resisting that closure (even Chosen, for all its irritating triumphalism, ends with a "what next?").

If they did do a movie, i'd like to avoid it being an all-action lets-milk-the-special-effects-budget-and-forget-character-development-and-quirkiness affair. I felt Serenity lost some of the interesting nuances of Firefly in that regard - it kinda lost the cowboy elements (which I loved) and some of the day to day feel of the show (which, ditto).

If they did a Buffy movie, it would be good if they could focus as much as possible on a small group of characters. Well, the scoobies basically, with perhaps a few young slayers coming up to join the A-team. To avoid it feeling just like an episode stretched out, there'd have to be a villain that was bigger than a MOTW, but not one that required a slow seeding of motives and plans. So, a returning villain?

Otherwise, imo, it would be too much of a jolt from the pace of Buffy the show...though I imagine a completely different pace could work if done in a completely fresh way, ie not trying to be like the show, but more using the Buffy characters to do something that works in a different way. Perhaps more of a character study movie? Oooh, I'd love to see an Almodovar version...slayers on the verge of an apocalypse?
                                    I agree it would have to be done well and would have to focus on existing characters really in order to make it work. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Angelus return and confront Buffy again, ever since his "That slayer, she's a pistol" line in s4 of Ats I have wanted to see a confrontation between the two of them. Buffy has changed a lot as a person and I think it'd be great to see them come up against eachother again. Plus he is a very cool villain who is creepy and deadly and could bring that gothic feel back to the movie. Plus it is a very personal enemy so could relate to our scoobies and make everything more interesting. Though I'd doubt this could ever happen.

I think what is a problem is that a show like Btvs has so much mythology and the characters have interacted with eachother so well, that the movie may only appeal to Btvs fans. It would be really hard to create a movie which introduces people to this world and makes them care about the characters as much as we do in the timeframe of one movie.
                                    Last edited by vampmogs; 27-09-07, 04:49 PM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                                      Add Alfonso Cuaron to my list of welcome directors. I am one of the movie fans, ambivalent toward the books, that recognizes "Prisoner of Azkaban" as one of the better films. Plus, "Children of Men" was exquisite -- he and Joss could get together and try to do the entire movie as a oner.
                                      Ooh, loved Children of Men. Though he might be even better for a post-apocalyptic Angel movie

Who was it who did Pan's Labyrinthe, forget his name...he's on my list too. He also did the Devil's Backbone, so he's deffo got the horror creds. Not sure how strong he is on comedy mind you...

Comment

It'd be different. I personally think that the show finnished with lots of endings. the audience can get some different ending ways form it. For the very popular thing: Bangel Vs. Spuffy. Some people say that It finnished with Spuffy happiness, some say It's menitoned for Bangel hopes. So with the film It'd probably be the answer of lots of incomplete events and things. and that be perfect!

But for the other thing doing it after 10 years would be unique
                                        sigpic
                                        -Set by DeadLoversDawn from Evthreads-

Comment

Working...
                                        X