For real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For real?

Okay, I just read this. I don't know whether or not this is completely legit, but I thought I'd post in case it is.

It looks like there actually is going to be a Ripper spin-off. Not a TV series, but a movie for the BBC. I hope this isn't fake and will actually happen, and apparently it's due out 2008, but I don't know where someone heard that.

I do remember there being lots of this about this before and it was all brushed off, which does made me have doubt but still gotta hope.

But if it is true then:

HERE
    sigpic
    Go ahead, call it a coccoon crash

Wow.

I don't want to get my hopes up or anything.. but wow. That is very recent, I was expecting this to be an old link before opening it up but instead it came up with this. If this happened... well I dunno what I would think. The pesimistic in me says this is just another rumour and this will never happen.. but the optimistic in me says that this actually looks really promising. If Joss did actually state this at comic con this year then holy crap!

And good news is this site is usually pretty reliable from my experience. That's kinda blown me away a little

Ok my mind is blowing right now! I've been searching around and a legit reporter from Comic Con has just reported the same thing, Whedon was quoted as saying it hasn't been finalized yet but looks set to definitly happen- as well as the Ats s6 comic which will be titled Angel s6: After The Fall, a new horror movie he has written and a ballet movie with Summer Glau which he has done the score for. Not only this but he has promised that Oz will return but I'm not sure in which comic series.

This is freakin mind blowing! I actually think this is all legit!
    vampmogs
    Slayer Supporter
    Last edited by vampmogs; 29-07-07, 05:54 PM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Gotta love the great big sloppy, sod off that sends to the American television networks. It's almost beautiful. Whedon says repeatedly, 'no more TV...didn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy' then he agrees to do TV abroad. With any luck the Brits will treat him well and open the doorway to him really stretching his legs again.

Very good news, indeed. Thank you.

Valyssia

Comment

Yeah it is quite funny that this will be a spin-off movie of a american television series but will be produced in England by an english broadcaster and will be broadcasted in England first before America. Joss is really sticking it to them isn't he

The American networks have screwed him over though, I'm hoping the BBC will do a lot better with him.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

That would be so very cool! Am I the only one to wonder though, how this will work with Anthony Stewart Head? I mean, he's not getting any younger, and if it's set pre-Buffy days...? I know make up is good... but how good, really?

Other than that, woo and hoo!

Comment

I was thinking about this same thing earlier today. Anthony looks considerably different to when he first started Btvs back in 1997 and this is supposed to pre-date even that. I don't think some hair dye is really going to solve the problem either

I would rather the story take place sometime after Chosen and to run alongside season eight. It has been reported the original plot may change.

Apparently it is going to be a scary story, I'm picturing dreary england with hauntings and ghosts.. sounds perfect

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I was kinda hoping they'd do a story about young Ripper, with another actor (Cilian Murphy please!), but perhaps in flashback, so they could use ASH as well? Less bothered with having ASH than having a good story though.

I'd like to see a story about him helping set up the new slayer world order mind you...but that wouldn't really be a "Ripper" story...unless they explore how his Ripper self is still alive (eg killling Ben). The realpolitik side of Giles.

But, if it's a ghost story...perhaps they could do some aspect of his past haunting him? Something with Ethan perhaps, since Ethan's snuffed it...

EDIT: Oh god though...no wacky ghost sidekick!

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
                I was kinda hoping they'd do a story about young Ripper, with another actor (Cilian Murphy please!), but perhaps in flashback, so they could use ASH as well? Less bothered with having ASH than having a good story though.

I'd like to see a story about him helping set up the new slayer world order mind you...but that wouldn't really be a "Ripper" story...unless they explore how his Ripper self is still alive (eg killling Ben). The realpolitik side of Giles.

But, if it's a ghost story...perhaps they could do some aspect of his past haunting him? Something with Ethan perhaps, since Ethan's snuffed it...

Oh I would be so disapointed if ASH wasn't in it! I'm dying to see the Buffy characters again, although I'd love the flashbacks as well.

I'd like it to be Post-Chosen but it is likely it will take place back in Giles' Ripper days or at least a story that coincides with one another.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

ASH is pretty versatile, but I agree that he couldn't pull off teenager. I wouldn't be that gutted if he wasn't in it, any backstory for Giles' character would be fantastic, whoever played him.

I really want to see more Ripper dealing with the effect of magic with an early punk soundtrack.

Um, but I'm cyncial, and don't believe this will happen yet...

I actually quite fancy the idea of Ethan the Wacky Ghost Sidekick
                  "When people call people nerds, mostly what they are saying is, 'You like stuff', which is just not a good insult at all, like 'You are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness'."
                  -John Green

Comment

Originally posted by Rosamunde View Post
                    ASH is pretty versatile, but I agree that he couldn't pull off teenager. I wouldn't be that gutted if he wasn't in it, any backstory for Giles' character would be fantastic, whoever played him.
                    Really? I've been dying to see these actors back in their roles.

I really want to see more Ripper dealing with the effect of magic with an early punk soundtrack.
                    That would be very cool, the Clash and Sex Pistols are springing to mind.

Um, but I'm cyncial, and don't believe this will happen yet...
                    As was I until I started looking around. Whedon states that everything is in order. Both ASH and BBC have agreed to do it, all that needs to happen now is to finalise the paper work. This looks very promising, I'm guessing because of the success of Btvs s8.

I actually quite fancy the idea of Ethan the Wacky Ghost Sidekick
                    If it was set after Ethan's death I wouldn't mind seeing him come back as a ghost either, but I'd much prefer it to be in a creepy way than as a ghost sidekick

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                      Really? I've been dying to see these actors back in their roles.
                      I'm not too fussed about the actors. I mean, I'd be annoyed if they replaced an actor to play a character at the same age, but if they were using a younger version of the character, they'd have to replace em. It's the characters I want to see more of so...any actor who's up to the job is fine by me for young Ripper.

That would be very cool, the Clash and Sex Pistols are springing to mind.
                      And The Buzzcocks plz! Oh, and X Ray Specs. Then some non-punk 70s stuff...a bit of psychadelia (Gong perhaps? Though maybe they were more 60s...) and then some Cream (cos we know Giles loves them, though obv 60s too...but going on the basis that he would've listened to them as a teenager in the 60s). When WAS Giles born? Wikipedia has him as being born in 1954, which means he would've been 20 in 1973 (worked that out cos I was thinking of doing a Life on Mars crossover ), so maybe they'd set it in the early 70s, which would've been when he dropped out of Oxford.

If it was set after Ethan's death I wouldn't mind seeing him come back as a ghost either, but I'd much prefer it to be in a creepy way than as a ghost sidekick
                      I want Ethan and Giles together in the flesh. Kicking the shit out of each other and getting drunk together and doing magic together. With the biggest fattest subtext in the universe

Comment

I'm not too fussed about the actors. I mean, I'd be annoyed if they replaced an actor to play a character at the same age, but if they were using a younger version of the character, they'd have to replace em. It's the characters I want to see more of so...any actor who's up to the job is fine by me for young Ripper.
                        I'm just craving to see them reprise their roles again so it just feels more real to me. I wouldn't mind having flashbacks with another character playing his younger self but as long as ASH was in it as well. Really it is all kinda moot anyway because Joss is only doing it if ASH would go sign up for it, he has so it is kinda finalsed anyway in that department

And The Buzzcocks plz! Oh, and X Ray Specs. Then some non-punk 70s stuff...a bit of psychadelia (Gong perhaps? Though maybe they were more 60s...) and then some Cream (cos we know Giles loves them, though obv 60s too...but going on the basis that he would've listened to them as a teenager in the 60s). When WAS Giles born? Wikipedia has him as being born in 1954, which means he would've been 20 in 1973 (worked that out cos I was thinking of doing a Life on Mars crossover ), so maybe they'd set it in the early 70s, which would've been when he dropped out of Oxford.
                        I don't believe it has ever been stated how old Giles is. Sometimes I wonder where Wikipedia gets its info from- do people just randomly make things up sometimes? As far as I know there has never been any date set in canon for when Giles was born, but I could be wrong.

I want Ethan and Giles together in the flesh. Kicking the shit out of each other and getting drunk together and doing magic together. With the biggest fattest subtext in the universe
                        My preferences are for this to co alongside with s8 or roughly around that area. For that to become a reality would mean either Ethan as a ghost, or possibly connecting with Giles like he did with Buffy in his dreamspace before being killed- or flashbacks. However, it is still open when and where this story will take place. Although I think it is fairly certain it'll be in england.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                          I'm just craving to see them reprise their roles again so it just feels more real to me. I wouldn't mind having flashbacks with another character playing his younger self but as long as ASH was in it as well. Really it is all kinda moot anyway because Joss is only doing it if ASH would go sign up for it, he has so it is kinda finalsed anyway in that department
                          Yup, it's mootsville. I hope they do have at least some flashbacks, cos it's Ripper I want to see at least as much as Giles.

I don't believe it has ever been stated how old Giles is. Sometimes I wonder where Wikipedia gets its info from- do people just randomly make things up sometimes? As far as I know there has never been any date set in canon for when Giles was born, but I could be wrong.
                          I think they might've gone with ASH's birth-year? Ooh, one way we could try and date him is...he's listening to Cream when he's 16, right? Though he could have bought old Cream albums I guess...but let's say he was listening to Brave Ulysses as a newish single/song off the Disraeli Gears album, then that makes him 16 some time around 1967-70...so he could be born any time from 1951. Making him in his 40s in the first season of Buffy, which seemed about right to me. Does he make any other "contemporary" cultural refs in Band Candy?

My preferences are for this to co alongside with s8 or roughly around that area. For that to become a reality would mean either Ethan as a ghost, or possibly connecting with Giles like he did with Buffy in his dreamspace before being killed- or flashbacks. However, it is still open when and where this story will take place. Although I think it is fairly certain it'll be in england.
                          Not Scotland? I'd want it to be in London I think...and all a bit John Constantiney. Mystical underworld and seedy pubs. Though...definitely set before the smoking ban, for the atmosphere Which it would be if it was contemp with s8.

Comment

Yup, it's mootsville. I hope they do have at least some flashbacks, cos it's Ripper I want to see at least as much as Giles.
                            Yeah well Joss must be calling it Ripper for a reason, unless it is just because it sounds cooler than Giles. There must be at least some flashbacks or call backs to his past.. here's hoping

I think they might've gone with ASH's birth-year? Ooh, one way we could try and date him is...he's listening to Cream when he's 16, right? Though he could have bought old Cream albums I guess...but let's say he was listening to Brave Ulysses as a newish single/song off the Disraeli Gears album, then that makes him 16 some time around 1967-70...so he could be born any time from 1951. Making him in his 40s in the first season of Buffy, which seemed about right to me. Does he make any other "contemporary" cultural refs in Band Candy?
                            Perhaps but if they did then I don't view it as really correct. We could have went with NB's birthday year before knowing Xander's age and that would have been very wrong The best bet is any hints during Band Candy as you've cleverly pointed out. However, I'm afraid my usefulness in that department ends here. I listen to music but know little of its backstory.

Not Scotland? I'd want it to be in London I think...and all a bit John Constantiney. Mystical underworld and seedy pubs. Though...definitely set before the smoking ban, for the atmosphere Which it would be if it was contemp with s8.
                            I'd like London as well, but Scotland would do fine or even Bath seeing that is where Giles lives. I've been to Bath on two occasions and it could be a nice landscape for some eerie ghost story in the alleyways during the night. I like your idea of seedy and yes smokey pubs this is kind of the image I had in my mind as well. I think mostly because of A New Man.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs
                              Do they kill Ethan off in the comix then?

Originally posted by Woflie
                              I want to see Ripper so much! I don't care about Giles quite so much, personally, because while he's a great character, he did get a lot of exploration on BtVS. I really want to see his past and how they would portray Ripper. There are so many different ways this could go! Giles as angry and volatile youth just seems like so much fun.
                              "When people call people nerds, mostly what they are saying is, 'You like stuff', which is just not a good insult at all, like 'You are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness'."
                              -John Green

Comment

Originally posted by Rosamunde View Post
                                Do they kill Ethan off in the comix then?
                                Yup.
                                Spoiler:
                                After being help captive by the military from s4 a faction of the military with their own agenda seemed to get their hands on him. This is the same faction who wants Buffy and all the new slayers dead and who Amy and Warren are working for. When Warren and Amy capture Willow and being lobotomising her Buffy and another slayer, Satsu, go into the military base to rescue Willow and kick arse. After Ethan had appeared to Buffy in a dream she notices three X's on a door, symbols she saw in her dream. Buffy bursts through the door followed by Satsu and Willow, expecting to grab Ethan to find out info but instead Ethan has just been shot in the head by General Voll, the leader of the military faction, so that Ethan can't tell Buffy anything.

I want to see Ripper so much! I don't care about Giles quite so much, personally, because while he's a great character, he did get a lot of exploration on BtVS. I really want to see his past and how they would portray Ripper. There are so many different ways this could go! Giles as angry and volatile youth just seems like so much fun.
                                I just want some new Buffyverse to be honest. Giles or Ripper I don't care, I'm just so excited this looks so promising and we might get Buffyverse on our screens again

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

There's always his 'bay city rollers' comment in 'the dark age'. Not really the kind of image of ripper i get but then again angel and manilow.

As for the flash back thing i think a format of ASH sort of telliing stories of his past as he goes along might come into it somehow. Maye a 'ooh i remember when something similar happened to me as a lad' followed by a wibbly screen and young ripper.
                                  JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
                                  Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

Originally posted by tangent View Post
                                    There's always his 'bay city rollers' comment in 'the dark age'. Not really the kind of image of ripper i get but then again angel and manilow.

As for the flash back thing i think a format of ASH sort of telliing stories of his past as he goes along might come into it somehow. Maye a 'ooh i remember when something similar happened to me as a lad' followed by a wibbly screen and young ripper.
                                    I suspect the same. It all sounds very Lost to me though.

I wonder what Whedon means when he says it will be very creepy. I wonder if the man has the chops to pull off something truly scary. In Btvs and Ats I was never scared because I knew our characters could kick arse- and well.. Giles can hold his own. But with his new horror movie being scripted perhaps Joss got a bite from the scary bug.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I read the same thing yesterday and got all excited.

I would love to ASH in it through flashbacks too, but I assume it would be solely based on his youth, so younger actors...either way, I think it would be great!

::Shadow of Reflection::
                                      NOW CAPPING YOUR FAVORITE TV SHOWS AND MOVIES!!! See them HERE...

Comment

If this ends up being set in the future, I would love to all the actors (Or aleast main) return for one last scene, they could even have Anya as a ghost haunting Giles because she has unfinished business and Tara as a ghost guiding Giles in aleast one episode (Like maybe someone died or something and he needs to get back on his roots), that would be cool but probably never happen.

Hilda Celeriac: You better tell me everything or I am gonna go Lex Luthor on your ass!
                                        Hey guys, if you know Amber is coming to Brisbane or anywhere near it, then page me (Well PM, just referencing Buffy)

Comment

Working...
                                        X