Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutants in the 'verse.

Originally posted by Vampire in Rug View Post
    The radiation from the sun is causing people to mutate and evolve so we get weirdos like Loo and Gunther. I don't think Gunther is supposed to be a demon, just some mutant. And when you think about it, we've already got mutants in the Buffyverse. We've seen Gwen and Bethany and I'm sure there might be others that I've missed.
    This part of WiR's post made me think about the mutants in the 'verse. I actually always forget about them, weird because Gwen plays a pretty big role in the Angel comics and she is a mutant.

So before radiation of the sun was the cause of mutants, something else was (hence Gwen and Bettany being mutants). This could of course be a natural reason like radiation of something or medicins or anything like that.

But (and I know, Aftermath can't be seen as proof bla bla bla, I use it anyway because I think that mrs. Armstrong has some great ideas that would be wasted when not used.) in Angel:Aftermath:

Spoiler:
    Angel, Connor and Kate are asked to deal with people who are mutated because of W&H's gigantic amount of magic has concequences. They seem to have trouble with their behavior but that could be temporary ... we've not seen enough yet.

Anyway, the use of huge amount of magic sounds creating mutants sounds very good. So I'm curious if this happens a lot and how many mutants are around. It would be interesting to see how Willow, Buffy and Angel deal with concequences like this. Innocent people who turn into freaks/monsters because of their plans that needed lots of magic (bringing Buffy back, Dawn and her life, Connor's new life, slayer spell etc.).

Did I miss mutants?

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. Unfortunately we don't have clear proof of the cause these powers. I wouldn't seperate Bethany and Gwen from human Drusilla, Cassie Newton and other human born with supernatural abilities.

We mustn't forget that the Buffyverse is similar to ours but there are differences. If magic simply exists, it's possible that people can be born with mystical abilities. Willow once said that magic uses and runs along side the physical world, so I suppose this could be applied to the biological processes of a being as well.

Comment

I was thinking, maybe the blind woman in 'Blind Date'? Something happened when she became blind but we don't know what. Of course it could be magic, mut it could be a mutation as well.

Comment

Does the text state that Gwen is a mutant? Or is there just an assumption there that she is? Her problem doesn't seem "mystical" so I'd argue it is some form of Buffyverse mutation, but I'm just curious to know if they blatantly state it? It very X-Men. Which we know Joss is a fan of, I mean.... check out season eight

You could argue Pete was some form of "mutant" after he was drinking the lab potions in 'Beauty and the Beasts.' They never mention it being mystical.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

She is never called one, she is always called a freak (she calls herself a freak as well). * But from what we saw, her parents are very normal humans who love the daughter but who have no idea what to do with it and also Gwen is very human besides her elektro problem. Pretty big chance that she is a mutant. Like you said, very X-men ... Gwen could join that squad.

*I was reading some transcrips, it's sad how many times Gwen is called a freak.

edit:
          Her wiki says that she is a mutant, but I don't know if the writer took his/her liberty or that it is really stated somewhere.
          Last edited by Nina; 16-04-09, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
            I was thinking, maybe the blind woman in 'Blind Date'? Something happened when she became blind but we don't know what. Of course it could be magic, mut it could be a mutation as well.
            She did it to herself and studied with the Nanjin to acquire her abilities.

Does the text state that Gwen is a mutant? Or is there just an assumption there that she is? Her problem doesn't seem "mystical" so I'd argue it is some form of Buffyverse mutation, but I'm just curious to know if they blatantly state it? It very X-Men. Which we know Joss is a fan of, I mean.... check out season eight
            How would we seperate mystical and non-mystical in this case? This said, it is very X-Men.

You could argue Pete was some form of "mutant" after he was drinking the lab potions in 'Beauty and the Beasts.' They never mention it being mystical
            It is never mentioned but I'm not sure on the whole rule about mutants. In Marvel, mutants are those born with with a gene (X) which gives them certain abilities. Mutates are those whose DNA was altered (like Spiderman). I'm not sure if either is the case with Pete and we do know that human can aquire abilities in a number of ways. To be honest, I'd say that although the mix was probably steroids etc, it could be the Hellmouth amplifying the effects. We know not for certain but the mystical having on biology or physics has happened in the verse. In fact it happens more or less all the time.

She is never called one, she is always called a freak (she calls herself a freak as well). * But from what we saw, her parents are very normal humans who love the daughter but who have no idea what to do with it and also Gwen is very human besides her elektro problem. Pretty big chance that she is a mutant. Like you said, very X-men ... Gwen could join that squad.
            She is definitely the one who most fits the bill because of course the gene could have been recessive in one of her parents, possibly for generations.

Comment

Working...
            X