Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"What Would Buffy Do?": The Buffy Appreciation Society

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "What Would Buffy Do?": The Buffy Appreciation Society

    "I can beat up the demons until the cows come home and then I can beat up the cows." - Buffy

    Member list

    Rosamunde
    redrevo
    LRae12
    ykickamoocow
    vampmogs
    sherrilina
    [email protected]~

    I thought I'd start a club in appreciation of Buffy. She's one of my favourite fictional characters, particularly because she's a flawed human being and a passionate hero.

    To get the ball rolling, I thought we could chat about which Buffy you liked best. Was it eager, uncertain highschool Buffy? The savvy Buffy who fought the mayor? The seasoned warrior in Series 7? Or the flawed and brave Buffy of season six?
    Rosamunde
    Culture Slut
    Last edited by Rosamunde; 05-07-07, 08:44 PM.
    "When people call people nerds, mostly what they are saying is, 'You like stuff', which is just not a good insult at all, like 'You are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness'."
    -John Green

  • #2
    I'll join the club (metaphorical or not) here. Just as you said, Buffy was great, along with most of the other characters, because she was flawed and human. Even in a supernatural world she had ordinary, real-life or representational-of-real-life problems and was able to overcome them in a positive and existentialist portrayal of the human condition. I think I like season 5 Buffy the best, because she is told throughout the season that she brings death, that as a slayer she's a killer, and that she must be alone. However, she displays absolute defiance against these primal, traditional sources after Weight of the World, when she realizes she has major ties to the world, and has more love for her friends her sister than she had imagined. That's another thing I really appreciate about Buffy in season 5 and the end of season 6. She has friends, who give her strength (she's not a perfect superhero) and she realizes this.
    Buffy: It sounds like it's difficult for you. Maybe your sister makes it hard for you to establish your own identity. You said she's controlling, she doesn't let you make your own decisions -
    Dawn: Yeah, and she borrows my clothes without asking.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think I preferred pre-Dawn Buffy the best...probably S4, out of high school and more adult, but still the Buffy we all came to know and love. Once Dawn came along she became way too whiny and complainy (S5), then mopey (S6), then preachy and speechifying (S7). I found high-school Buffy entertaining and comical, but i think I preferred her out of high school and just entering the world of college the best...
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Rosamunde View Post
        "I can beat up the demons until the cows come home and then I can beat up the cows." - Buffy

        I thought I'd start a club in appreciation of Buffy. She's one of my favourite fictional characters, particularly because she's a flawed human being and a passionate hero.

        To get the ball rolling, I thought we could chat about which Buffy you liked best. Was it eager, uncertain highschool Buffy? The savvy Buffy who fought the mayor? The seasoned warrior in Series 7? Or the flawed and brave Buffy of season six?

        I liked the eager, uncertain highschool Buffy as you put it. Though i also liked the seasons 4 and 5 Buffy. I thought the character went downhill abit from seasons 6 and 7.

        Comment


        • #5
          Oh I have to join this club she is my favourite character and I will defend her until the end!

          I don't really dislike Buffy in any season, I think her attitude and what she was going through was completely understandable under the circumstances. She gets a lot of flak for being whiney but wouldn't you if she had the weight of the world on your shoulders?

          ~ Banner by Nina ~

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by redrevo View Post
            I think I like season 5 Buffy the best, because she is told throughout the season that she brings death, that as a slayer she's a killer, and that she must be alone. However, she displays absolute defiance against these primal, traditional sources after Weight of the World, when she realizes she has major ties to the world, and has more love for her friends her sister than she had imagined.
            I hadn't thought about season 5 Buffy before but you raise an interesting point. Of course I thought of Buffy as someone who fought her destiny and the rules placed before her, but not in such a basic way as you describe. By fighting for her humanity, she goes against the grain of who she is supposed to be, who, in fact, the course of her life tries to force her to be.
            "When people call people nerds, mostly what they are saying is, 'You like stuff', which is just not a good insult at all, like 'You are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness'."
            -John Green

            Comment


            • #7
              Add me to the list please--I do love Buffy, and hate irrational Buffy Bashers!

              Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
              Oh I have to join this club she is my favourite character and I will defend her until the end!

              I don't really dislike Buffy in any season, I think her attitude and what she was going through was completely understandable under the circumstances. She gets a lot of flak for being whiney but wouldn't you if she had the weight of the world on your shoulders?
              Yeah, that's the way I feel when people bitch abotu Harry being too angry and moody in the fifth book....I mean, come on, he had good reason to feel that way! As did Buffy...

              The only Buffy I didn't like as much was, in LRae's words, the "preaching and speechifying" Buffy of season 7. I actually do like season 6 Buffy's dark sarcasm and humor (like suggesting they burn the house down and collect the insurance on it), and pessimissm a bit, it was interesting...and season 5 is one of my favorite seasons, so she couldn't have been that bad IMO!

              I think I do like high school Buffy better than seasons 5-7, and I'm not sure about college Buffy...I love her in Pangs, for example, but not so much during the whole Parker situation (up to BB)....and her hair bugged me for some reason that season! Not to mention her appearances on ATS, though I suppose that doesn't count really as season 4 BTVS Buffy....and on the other hand I didn't like "Angsty about Angel!Buffy" during High school, or "trying to be Badass!Buffy" and such in season 3....I think the Buffy I like best might be the second half of season 2, and maybe season 4 over all, as LRae, said...it's hard to decide though, besides NOT season 7....
              Promise that you'll return to me.

              icon by sireesanswar

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                Oh I have to join this club she is my favourite character and I will defend her until the end!

                I don't really dislike Buffy in any season, I think her attitude and what she was going through was completely understandable under the circumstances. She gets a lot of flak for being whiney but wouldn't you if she had the weight of the world on your shoulders?
                Sign me up, please! Buffy's my favorite fictional hero.

                As Adam said, I like Buffy in every season. She evolved and fought to save the world everyday of her life. But if I had to choose, I'd say Season 5 Buffy because she was on a quest for her identity as a Slayer but also as a woman. And by the end of the season (Weight of the World precisely), she discovered and understood what she had to do, who she really was. This shows that Buffy can be a very inspirational character, IMO.
                Last edited by [email protected]~; 05-07-07, 07:33 PM.
                sigpic
                Banner Set made by the lovely Dana.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Add me in, please.

                  Season 5 was the best in POV of Buffy's character development, but season 2 was the one where Buffy changed from still sunny-bright-positive teen into a woman with her own demons

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
                    Add me to the list please--I do love Buffy, and hate irrational Buffy Bashers!



                    The only Buffy I didn't like as much was, in LRae's words, the "preaching and speechifying" Buffy of season 7. I actually do like season 6 Buffy's dark sarcasm and humor (like suggesting they burn the house down and collect the insurance on it), and pessimissm a bit, it was interesting...and season 5 is one of my favorite seasons, so she couldn't have been that bad IMO!

                    I think I do like high school Buffy better than seasons 5-7, and I'm not sure about college Buffy...I love her in Pangs, for example, but not so much during the whole Parker situation (up to BB)....and her hair bugged me for some reason that season! Not to mention her appearances on ATS, though I suppose that doesn't count really as season 4 BTVS Buffy....and on the other hand I didn't like "Angsty about Angel!Buffy" during High school, or "trying to be Badass!Buffy" and such in season 3....I think the Buffy I like best might be the second half of season 2, and maybe season 4 over all, as LRae, said...it's hard to decide though, besides NOT season 7....

                    LOL! I didn't DISLIKE any of the Buffy's either...just stated my reasons for why I PREFERRED S4 Buffy.

                    I, too liked S6 Buffy with her dark humor - and the fire insurance crack was funny...as was her having to go out to work at a burger-joint! I liked that they brought in real-world problems like finances for her to face.

                    As far as her hair in S4 - I really, really loved it - especially when it went curly...she's so little and petite, and the curly hair made her seem, I don't know, almost natural sized But coming from a person cursed with natural curls, I like to see other sporting them from time to time...even though I usually curse them when they go straight, because, well, I can't...


                    I think I liked Buffy's hair the best in the beginning of S6 before she whacked it off...like in OMWF when it was long and wavy - very pretty.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LRae12 View Post
                      As far as her hair in S4 - I really, really loved it - especially when it went curly...she's so little and petite, and the curly hair made her seem, I don't know, almost natural sized But coming from a person cursed with natural curls, I like to see other sporting them from time to time...even though I usually curse them when they go straight, because, well, I can't...
                      Lol, me too--I too am "cursed" (though as long as they behave themselves I'm usually okay with them--and they're fun to play with! ) with naturally curly hair! But maybe that's partly why I dislike her hair in season 4, b/c it's so obvious it's crimped or whatever, and that it's fake....it kind of annoys me sometimes when people deliberatly do that to their hair! Whereas with Cordy in YW though, well I think CC's hair naturally has some curl to the ends of her hair, and maybe b/c it was a natural color as well, but it seemed more natural-looking to me, and nice...but I also think it may have to do with the way they dyed Buffy's hair platinum blonde during season 4...I mean, I like Buffy as a blonde, but I thought this color was overkill, and too fakey looking.....though I would agree that in pre-Gone season 6 her hair looked best--though it was also a more natural blonde, kind of golden and flowy...

                      Well, this is a Buffy fan club, so I guess discussing her hair is on-topic!
                      Promise that you'll return to me.

                      icon by sireesanswar

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
                        Lol, me too--I too am "cursed" (though as long as they behave themselves I'm usually okay with them--and they're fun to play with! ) with naturally curly hair! But maybe that's partly why I dislike her hair in season 4, b/c it's so obvious it's crimped or whatever, and that it's fake....it kind of annoys me sometimes when people deliberatly do that to their hair! Whereas with Cordy in YW though, well I think CC's hair naturally has some curl to the ends of her hair, and maybe b/c it was a natural color as well, but it seemed more natural-looking to me, and nice...but I also think it may have to do with the way they dyed Buffy's hair platinum blonde during season 4...I mean, I like Buffy as a blonde, but I thought this color was overkill, and too fakey looking.....though I would agree that in pre-Gone season 6 her hair looked best--though it was also a more natural blonde, kind of golden and flowy...

                        Well, this is a Buffy fan club, so I guess discussing her hair is on-topic!
                        ok, then we should form the curly club or something...

                        Actually, discussing Buffy's hair should be a subject for discussion in the Buffy fan club...so what other Buffy-hair do you all like?

                        I just finished watching When She Was Bad, and her hair looked so cute in that episode! It was shorter than in S1, and it sort of had a little perk to it...(always wish mine could do that...)
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by LRae12 View Post
                          ok, then we should form the curly club or something...

                          Actually, discussing Buffy's hair should be a subject for discussion in the Buffy fan club...so what other Buffy-hair do you all like?

                          I just finished watching When She Was Bad, and her hair looked so cute in that episode! It was shorter than in S1, and it sort of had a little perk to it...(always wish mine could do that...)
                          It was kind of cute, especially when she was tilting her head at the Bronze to toy with Angel and do the sexy dance with Xander....I don't really like her hair in season 1 though, as seen in the default banner, it was a bit drab...I think it's interesting how they didn't really make her hair that blonde at first, it was pretty brown or more dirty blonde, and then got blonder as time went on.....

                          I think the best hair was season 6 as I said, or season 5....it's weird how at the end of season 2 her hair begins to transition into the season 3 look! Lol, talking about hair is fun, maybe we should open up a general hair thread....
                          Promise that you'll return to me.

                          icon by sireesanswar

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by sherrilina View Post

                            I think the best hair was season 6 as I said, or season 5....it's weird how at the end of season 2 her hair begins to transition into the season 3 look!
                            I did too...but then when she cut it, I don't know it somehow looked too thin...like they used thinning shears and not just regular scissors. But it looked thin from there on out, it never returned to the fullness it had in the HSchool years or pre-Gone. I wonder if she had extensions or anything at some time before Gone? eh, who knows...
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I never thought Buffy looked "hot" in s6, before Gone or afterwards. I think she has always looked better with blonde hair. IMO in s6 she looked rather pale, I wasn't a fan of her hair and she didn't wear sexy clothes IMO, rather drab and dark clothes although I guess that suited her character at the time. Basically she looked; dead, the look they were going for perhaps?

                              Out of all the season promotion shots I think s6 was her worst, she was pretty but wasn't hot. I think SMG/Buffy was at her hottest during s1, s3, s5 and s7 of the show. But really we must discuss something other than her looks or this is just going to turn into a Buffy version of the Spike obsessed thread over at Buffyworld

                              To start off a new conversation, what do people make of Buffy's more controversial choices; as for example, trying to kill Faith, deciding to kill Anya and saying she would allow all her friends and the world die rather than kill Dawn?

                              I agree with her decisions in the first two but don't believe she made the right decision about Dawn, although it is 100% understandable.
                              vampmogs
                              Slayer Supporter
                              Last edited by vampmogs; 07-07-07, 09:03 AM.

                              ~ Banner by Nina ~

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                                I never thought Buffy looked "hot" in s6, before Gone or afterwards. I think she has always looked better with blonde hair. IMO in s6 she looked rather pale, I wasn't a fan of her hair and she didn't wear sexy clothes IMO, rather drab and dark clothes although I guess that suited her character at the time. Basically she looked; dead, the look they were going for perhaps?
                                I agree. I dont know how anyone can say she looked hot in season 6 compared to all the other seasons. I think she looked her worst in season 6 but i do think that was the point as i dont think Buffy really cared about her appearance for most of season 6.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  saying she would allow all her friends and the world die rather than kill Dawn
                                  I agree with her decision here. She didn't want to become a killer, a monster like she had been told all year and went catatonic because of it. She would rather go out with the rest of the world rather than sacrifice another person she loves for the world (this time human) - which she was afraid would turn her into a cold-blooded murderer and just a channel of the first slayer, rather than Buffy with her friends, her family, and her life.

                                  She was tired of having to sacrifice the people that made the world worthwhile in her eyes (at least at the time), for the world itself. You might still disagree because of the number of lives lost by the decision but I think it's just a slight difference of opinion, as we know she never had to actually make that choice, and chose the third option (yes, there's always a third option!).
                                  Buffy: It sounds like it's difficult for you. Maybe your sister makes it hard for you to establish your own identity. You said she's controlling, she doesn't let you make your own decisions -
                                  Dawn: Yeah, and she borrows my clothes without asking.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Rosamunde View Post

                                    To get the ball rolling, I thought we could chat about which Buffy you liked best. Was it eager, uncertain highschool Buffy? The savvy Buffy who fought the mayor? The seasoned warrior in Series 7? Or the flawed and brave Buffy of season six?
                                    Sign me up, please , She's also my favourite character of the series and like Adam I'll defend her in most instances, I'm glad this thread is back

                                    As for which Buffy I liked best, I like them all in some way but my favourite would have to be either Season 2 Buffy or Season 5, Both seasons had major things which affected her character and seeing how she dealt really shaped the person she would become, I think Buffys character is usually best when she isn't in a relationship and when she has problems.

                                    Battle 57: BlasterBoy vs. Alucard

                                    Icon by the magnificent Wendy

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Alucard View Post
                                      Sign me up, please , She's also my favourite character of the series and like Adam I'll defend her in most instances, I'm glad this thread is back

                                      As for which Buffy I liked best, I like them all in some way but my favourite would have to be either Season 2 Buffy or Season 5, Both seasons had major things which affected her character and seeing how she dealt really shaped the person she would become, I think Buffys character is usually best when she isn't in a relationship and when she has problems.
                                      Couldn't agree more, Buffy that isn't in a relationship is a Buffy I love She is more about herself, more confident and worries about the big picture and I enjoy this Buffy most of all.

                                      ~ Banner by Nina ~

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Sign me up please! Buffy has always been amongst my favorite characters in the series and the fact that SMG is hot doesn't exactly make it hard to like her either lol...

                                        Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                                        To start off a new conversation, what do people make of Buffy's more controversial choices; as for example, trying to kill Faith, deciding to kill Anya and saying she would allow all her friends and the world die rather than kill Dawn?
                                        I agree with Buffy's decision to kill Faith. Though I will admit that it has been a while since I have watched Season 3. Faith was completely out of control. She was killing people and at this period of time there just didn't seem to be any signs of remorse from Faith. I think had I of been in Buffy place I'd have made the same decision. After all as Giles I believe stated "There is nothing more dangerous than a rogue Slayer"

                                        I also agree with her decision to kill Anya. She had reverted back to being a vengeance demon and once Anya had killed. She had crossed the line and I think that Buffy was right in her decision to go and kill her. Though it pains me to say so since I love Anya...

                                        As for her decision to kill Dawn. I have to disagree with you Vampmogs. I think Buffy might have made what seemed like the selfish decision, but she certainly made the decision that most poeple would make. I think Buffy's decision showed that she was still human. That she still had feelings...

                                        Besides Dawn was Human what was happening was her fault. She was essentially a helpless little girl.... She didn't intentionally mean for what happened. Something which IMO makes her different from Faith and even Angel/Angelus
                                        Bittersweettwit
                                        I don't get wet
                                        Last edited by Bittersweettwit; 11-07-07, 09:07 PM.
                                        Livejournal

                                        Avatar made by Shameless666 of Livejournal

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X