Things that Piss Off Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that Piss Off Fans

Warning: The following link contains some nudity, and vulgar materials, so if I overstepped my boundaries, just inform me and I'll delete this thread.

Something Wolfie Gilmore said in a previous thread inspired me to start this one. She said, that she hasn't visited casual forums that deal with Buffy... or something to that effect. Well, I have and it wasn't always a good experience, though there was a lot lulz.

Everybody loves Joss here. But what do you guys know about the haters?

More for the lulz, but it can be a pain. There is also an article on Buffy and Firefly - I think.

Some people like Buffy, ATS and firefly. Some don't. I've encountered these people before, and even though they don't give me the same rrraaaage as they use to, I still have some resentment as a fan.

So care to share your experiences with the haters?
    Last edited by Cori; 16-02-09, 01:59 PM. Reason: Deleting offensive link

Ignoring them generally works best, in my opinion. The kind of people who have got nothing better to do than bash something on the internet are to be pitied, in my opinion. Well, almost. I'd pity them if they weren't so ridiculous and annoying.
    Sin is what I feast upon
    I'm forging my crematorium
    Your tomb is waiting here for you
    Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

I don?t care. The more people tell me that Joss Whedon?s universe sucks, the more I love it. Of course I?ve tried to entice them to watch at least Buffy but they disregard the show completely and without giving it a glance.
      So, I don?t care!

Comment

The extreme hate annoys me, I just don't see the point in spending your time posting about how much you hate a writer, show, actor, character... etc over and over and over and over. Hey, I hate S7, but that doesn't mean I'll search for every S7 thread on the net and post "This season sucks because this and this and this." I much rather spend my time reading and writing about something I like, and to be honest, I find searching for the good in S7 more enjoyable than criticizing the bad.
        Made by Trickyboxes
        Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

My point exactly (except the S7 bit, I don't hate S7 ).
          Sin is what I feast upon
          Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Okay I have deleted the link from your post, Troll, because that article was sexist and offensive and we not tolerate this kind of stuff on our forum.

However, please feel free to discuss this topic (Things that Piss Off Fans and your experiences with the Joss haters) in a respectful manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Cori View Post
              Okay I have deleted the link from your post, Troll, because that article was sexist and offensive and we not tolerate this kind of stuff on our forum.

However, please feel free to discuss this topic (Things that Piss Off Fans and your experiences with the Joss haters) in a respectful manner.
              I kinda wondered how long it would be there - I shot straight to it first thing this AM thinking it would be gone soon. I debating things in the Jossverse and defending things I like in the process (S6 lover here), but what really gets me is when anyone takes issues down to a *personal* level. We have all sizes, colors, ages and religions here on the boards. There is a big difference between *critique* of plot holes or continuity and *personal* attacks like "Joss is a big fat loser".

Reminds me of an old saying - "Anyone can be *against* anything. You are measured by what you are willing to fight *for*.

Ignoring idiots usually works best - deny them the attention they are looking for and they normally go away.
              sigpic

Comment

Indeed. I'm not much interested in trying to convince people to like what they've already decided they don't want to like. I've yet to meet anyone who's actually given the show a chance who hates it. Dislikes it or didn't find it to their taste, sure -- it takes all types and not everyone likes the same stuff as me.

I have occasionally encountered a certain disinclination to watch it -- heck (between the movie and how overly seriously I thought the show took itself the one time I caught a random episode), I had it myself before my sister persuaded me to give it a chance. I took her at her word and found she was right. Likewise, I've persuaded a couple of friends to give it a shot, and they've become fans, too.

I can be sharply critical of the shows I like when they don't meet the standard they've set for themselves (see, eg., the Heroes and Bones sub-forums). But that's only because I like them and want to see them continue being great. But haters tend to be ignorant of what they're hating on; I don't waste my time on them.
                Cordially,
                Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Everybody loves Joss here.
                  I didn't get the chance to read the link, but I don't think it's fair to count every single member on here as a whole in loving Joss Whedon, as with the other thread I'm likely to get flamed and have my loyalty questioned, but not everybody on here does love Joss Whedon, they may not hate him either, like me I like his work and stuff, don't have anything personal about him or his creations, but I don't love him. I think's he's over-rated and there's bound to be a bias on here, but just because that's my opinion doesn't mean I'm going to force it down people's throats or ignore people's opinions or tell them they're wrong, even though I have this opinion, doesn't mean that I can't like what the guy does.

As for people who spend their time posting negative opinions about things when they clearly don't like the thing is pointless. I immediately think of people posting on the IMDB boards who start threads on certain actor's pages to flame them, it's the stupidest thing I've ever seen, why would you bother? If you haven't got anything nice to say at least go somewhere where you may be agreed with. I mean, if you hate Buffy why bother being negatie about it on a Buffy forum? Why not start a We Hate Buffy thing instead, if you want to waste time about it.

Most of the time, I just think it's because people want their opinions heard and are willing to post them where they're most likely to be read.
                  Last edited by Matt; 16-02-09, 04:31 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                    Most of the time, I just think it's because people want their opinions heard and are willing to post them where they're most likely to be read.
                    Some personality types are just not happy unless they are creating drama in which they are the center. And not everyone here loves Joss or loves everything he's created.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cinderela View Post
                      Some personality types are just not happy unless they are creating drama in which they are the center. And not everyone here loves Joss or loves everything he's created.
                      Exactly! I think some people just live for arguments! They just love that opportunity to give their opinions to people they know will likely disagree with them and have the opportunity to give their reasons for their reasons, but then again I think this is an attitude that most users on this forum are likely to have.

However, the difference between a good user who makes the forum more interesting with their thoughts and a bad user who everyone wants banned is that they do not try to force their opinions on those who disagree with them, but simply give their own reasons for their view and leave it to the other person to make their own mind up.
                      Livejournal

Avatar made by Shameless666 of Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by Vampmaster View Post
                        Exactly! I think some people just live for arguments! They just love that opportunity to give their opinions to people they know will likely disagree with them and have the opportunity to give their reasons for their reasons, but then again I think this is an attitude that most users on this forum are likely to have.

However, the difference between a good user who makes the forum more interesting with their thoughts and a bad user who everyone wants banned is that they do not try to force their opinions on those who disagree with them, but simply give their own reasons for their view and leave it to the other person to make their own mind up.
                        I admit that I a healthy debate as much as anyone - for example, the users here are so diverse that a few times I have switched sides in a debate because I saw an idea that hadn't occurred to me before!

Also, we want to ban people that make things personal. Everyone hates that!
                        sigpic

Comment

Well yeah debate is very important as it generates great discussion so I think people can talk about things they dislike if they do it in a nice manner.

Maybe we should just start a "What do you hate about the series?" thread where anyone can rant about whatever they want to all the time, any time

I was just looking over dead threads and found the old "What can't you forgive?" thread which was just hilarious, everyone was just venting about all the things the characters did which they hated and whilst there was disagreements and difference of opinion they never turned into arguments.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I'm sorry if anyone was under the impression that I was saying that debates are a bad thing. I certainly wasn't because as I said in my orignal post it can definitely make for some very interesting discussion!

I simply meant that it is when someone simply seems to be incapable of understanding someone else has a different opinion to them, and tries to force their own opinion down their throat or start insulting the other person. That things get out of hand! Sorry everyone if I didn't make that clear!
                            Livejournal

Avatar made by Shameless666 of Livejournal

Comment

A lot like some IMDb threads, yes. This is why I left the IMDb forums - all the trolls bashing whatever came their way, all the pointless rants, all the stupid hate threads...
                              If one can't say anythign constructive, one should not say it at all in a debate.
                              Sin is what I feast upon
                              Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Haters aren't a big deal for me, because I simply choose not to associate myself with those types. Most haters I've encountered hate the show on principle without ever having sat down and watched an episode. Whether it's about Buffy the Vampire Slayer or any other issue, the idiots who feel the need to voice thier uninformed opinions are sadly always going to be the most vocal. I'm not saying that everyone has to like it, but I've found that those who are most adamant about thier dislike (probably because of either the movie's reputation, or the goofy sounding title) havn't given it a chance themselves and they are just trying to cause grief/drama for those who do enjoy the show.

I've heard of people trying to reason with/convert the Buffy-haters... but personally I don't have time for any of that myself. If someone wants to hate the show without watching it, it's not worth my time to change thier minds. There are bigger issues in the world and I don't have time to converse with someone who's problems probably run a little deeper than the inability to enjoy one TV show.

As for the article originally posted by Troll... it's what I would have expected from a website that aims to be offensive for the sake of being offensive. In fact the article wasn't as bad as it could have been and I did chuckle when it mentioned the "ugly and talentless" LiveJournal user and Whedon basher that goes by the name of "Allecto". I've read some of her stuff and she's deluded to the point of calling Joss a rapist. People like this are NOT going to be reasoned with and the best thing one can do is ignore them. Debating with the trolls is exactly what they want. Giving them unwarrented attention is IMO the worst thing one could do.

Comment

Yeah, I agree with Vampire in Rug that the article wasn't actually as bad as I imagined it will be or as bad as it could have been. It had some effort put into it for the sake of being funny. There's much worse in the net. Bashing for the sake of bashing etc.

By the way, the LJ user who called Joss rapist, was it in an essay about Firefly? If yes then I've read it. It was quite crazy.

And I do agree with the above posters that quite often bashers haven't even seen the show. Maybe it's really because of the reputation of the film?
                                  Maybe some find that people who worship a fantasy TV-show that ended almost 10 years ago are really nerds and they don't like nerds? Maybe they think Buffyverse lovers form a secret society like Freemasons or something?

Anyhow, what I wonder, is why would anyone who has seen the show actually hate it? I mean, I know it's possible to look it and shrug and say it's not my cup of tea. I've seen countless shows and just shrugged. But I wonder what's in Joss's or any shows that could make people actually hate them and vocalise their hate. Because if you're expressing your hate of the show you're thinking about it, analysing it etc. Why waste your time?
                                  sigpic
                                  banner by litzie avatar by diane

Comment

And most of the people that bash the show never saw it. It?s like they love to trash a show or a movie without even seeing it just to say something bad. But yeah, I have a lot of trouble telling people that Buffy is really a great show.

Comment

It's not that people have to like the show or give it a chance. If you think a show about a former cheerleader killing vampires sounds dumb, by all means don't watch it. If you caught five minutes of an episode where Sarah Michelle Gellar seemed to be fighting a really badly animated praying mantis or drunk a beer that turned her into a caveperson and you want to believe that the show has no depth beyond that, fair enough -sometimes the show can come across as so silly that I can't blame someone for turning away. It's not the haters that irritate me from time to time, it's the ones that feel they need to voice thier uninformed opinions.

I guess I could draw a paralell between that and say, a Creationist who spends all thier time trying to tear down the theory of evolution without really knowing what it is beyond a vauge idea of "evolutionists think we all used to be monkeys! That's stupid!"

I'm not saying one side has to be proven "right", I'm just saying that if you know jack-squat about the other side, then it would be better for everyone if you just keep your mouth shut until you do.

And MissPeroxide, yes the LiveJournal user who wrote that Firefly essay was indeed the disgusting Allecto. Whedon fans have tried to reason with her, and honestly I wish they wouldn't. It achieves nothing aside from giving her the attention she craves and doesn't deserve.

I find if I just don't associate with these sorts, everyone stays happier.
                                      Last edited by Vampire in Rug; 18-02-09, 06:34 PM.

Comment

I wasn't a hater but I do admit to being someone who ridiculed the show oh-so-much before I began watching it. My sister watched it before I did and I was all 'you're not serious...a show about a cheerleader who kills vampires?'

Yeah, eat your words now, huh? I'm the first one to admit that I was oh-so-wrong and from that experience alone I now keep my opinions to myself until I actually have an opinion to give (meaning I'll give a show one or two episodes before I formulate an official yay or nay) but most of the BatShit Fans I've encountered don't even give that.

I generally tend to run and hide at the prospect of joining new forums and what have you. Mostly because of the nutty fans.

I was once accosted by someone on FF.net for one of my Angel stories who told me that Angel was crap and, big shocker here, Angel/Cordelia was even worse. To which... Well, why click on it? If you're not a fan of the show, why read fiction?
                                        Christie | layout-whore | beyond-help

CORDELIA: It's gonna be a long while until you work your way out but I know you well enough to know you *will* and I'll be with you until you do. -- Judgement

Comment

Working...
                                        X