David Fury Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Fury Interview

Hello everyone. I wanted to let you know that Buffyfest just posted a new interview with David Fury:

http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2009/0...ry-is-not.html

Thanks,
    Michelle
    Buffyfest

DF: I can't comment on the Angel comics since I haven't seen them, but I have read a handful of the Buffy Season 8s. They're undeniably fun, but I prefer not to think of them as canon, even if Joss does. It's like a movie adaptation of a great book... Two different mediums need to be appreciated as separate entities. The plus side of comics is there are no limits to what can be imagined or created... But those limits are what made the show such a great accomplishment of storytelling. Still, it is nice to know the characters live on...
    Oh that made very interesting reading. Thanks for that.

Comment

Well I can't speak for anyone but myself, of course, but I'm with Fury on not seeing the comics as "canon", in spite of Joss' view.

They just don't reach me the same way. And I still prefer fanfic. *shrug*

-Luc
      sigpic

"If you're an Angel/Buffy fan, there's a big payoff," - Jeremy Atkins, Darkhorse

Comment

I'll just leave this right here...

DF: Anyway, I leave it up to Joss to imagine B's future.

Comment

Great interview! I loved Fury's comments on Season 8 of Buffy AND his comments on Awakening AND his comments on Connor's and Locke's character development. I feel like digging up my "They got the mustard out!" icon...

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

Yeah I don't get why season 8 haters got so excited over this? David Fury has no say in what's canon or what isn't? Or why people get such a kick when a writer agrees with them?

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
              Yeah I don't get why season 8 haters got so excited over this? David Fury has no say in what's canon or what isn't? Or why people get such a kick when a writer agrees with them?
              Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but it wasn't about getting a kick out of him agreeing as me voicing my own agreement with him. You're right, he has no say in it - he admits that. But it's nice to know it's not just the obsessed, posting board, Buffy fans that are disenchanted with season 8 or don't see it as canon. Nothing more than that. I don't think anyone is saying that Fury's opinion on the subject changes (or trumps) the fact that Joss considers the comics canon.

Of course, I also don't hate season 8. I just don't have the same love/obssession/connection with it as I still do to the series. It's a personal thing. *shrug*

-Luc
              sigpic

"If you're an Angel/Buffy fan, there's a big payoff," - Jeremy Atkins, Darkhorse

Comment

Thanks for the link. It was an interesting read.
                Sin is what I feast upon
                I'm forging my crematorium
                Your tomb is waiting here for you
                Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

I'm not S8 hater. If I was, I wouldn't be reading it. But I don't necessarily view it as canon as well. So it's great to read that there are people, especially people like Mr Fury, or Fury that is, who agree with me
                  Also loved his answer about the ending of the Awakening. That really was obvious, nevertheless it's great that he confirms Angel wasn't a jerk making love to a woman and picturing ex-girlfriend the same time.
                  sigpic
                  banner by litzie avatar by diane

Comment

I'd like to think of both S8 and After the Fall as canon. I want more Buffy and Angel. I'm happy to have more Buffy and Angel. I'm happy that these comics are making fandom more active. They help fandom to stay alive.

Why can't everybody be as simple as me? *g*

While S8 is not like the TV show (Well, it's a comic), I think it's already clouding fans' judgment about what's gonna happen. Now almost everybody believes that Buffy's spell in Chosen changed the world in a negative way, almost everybody believes that Buffy wasn't dating the Immortal, almost everybody believes that Buffy and Xander grew closer, and I've seen quite a number of fics that have Buffy living in a castle in Scotland.

Anyway, I guess it'll always be a subjective thing whether S8 is canon or not. The important thing is to enjoy it and make nice little ficcies and discussions that'll keep fandom alive for more years to come.

But I agree with Fury about the limitation in budget being one of the reasons in making the show the success it is today. The lack of restrain is what I dislike about S8.
                    Made by Trickyboxes
                    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Joss is the only person who has a say in what stories are part of the canon. I just don't understand why this is something people consider part of an ongoing debate.

In everyday terms, it doesn't matter, but it would matter if in a debate, someone asserts that "Buffy's never slept with a girl"... yeeeees, she has. That is objectively untrue because she has done so. It's no different than if someone were to say "Nobody's ever gotten shot on 'Buffy'". The canon events are not subject to discussion. What they mean might be, but not "what happened". Canon is the official "what happened", and includes Season 8 and "Angel: After the Fall" and the forthcoming "Angel: Aftermath".
                      KingofCretins
                      What?
                      Last edited by KingofCretins; 23-01-09, 04:07 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Banner by LRae12

Comment

But I agree with Fury about the limitation in budget being one of the reasons in making the show the success it is today. The lack of restrain is what I dislike about S8.
                        I agree, I believe it's a case of just because you can, doesn't mean you altermatically should. *shudders at the thought of Mecha Dawn*

Comment

Originally posted by Sosa lola View Post
                          I'd like to think of both S8 and After the Fall as canon. I want more Buffy and Angel. I'm happy to have more Buffy and Angel. I'm happy that these comics are making fandom more active. They help fandom to stay alive.

Why can't everybody be as simple as me? *g*
                          I'm right there with you, Sosa! A wise man once said something that sums up my feelings quite nicely:

"Me like Buffy. Buffy's alive, so, me glad."

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                            Joss is the only person who has a say in what stories are part of the canon. I just don't understand why this is something people consider part of an ongoing debate.

In everyday terms, it doesn't matter, but it would matter if in a debate, someone asserts that "Buffy's never slept with a girl"... yeeeees, she has. That is objectively untrue because she has done so. It's no different than if someone were to say "Nobody's ever gotten shot on 'Buffy'". The canon events are not subject to discussion. What they mean might be, but not "what happened". Canon is the official "what happened", and includes Season 8 and "Angel: After the Fall" and the forthcoming "Angel: Aftermath".
                            Maybe, but I can still choose my own approach towards this new canon. For example, if I wanted to I could just visit the main forums here at BF and I would never have to step a foot to that separate thread called "Season 8 Comic Style". So I never would know what happened there because majority of the S8 talk in main Buffy forum is spoilered. I could never make that distinction for example if I went crazy and decided BtVS ended with The Gift. There are no forums having separate threads for what happened after The Gift and for good reason. But I could so easily make that distinction between S1-7 and S8 Comics here and actually there are many who do.

Originally posted by sueworld View Post
                            I agree, I believe it's a case of just because you can, doesn't mean you altermatically should. *shudders at the thought of Mecha Dawn*
                            Bad, bad Sue! I had almost blocked Mecha Dawn from my memory and you brought it back there!
                            *shudders too*
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by missperoxide View Post
                              Maybe, but I can still choose my own approach towards this new canon. For example, if I wanted to I could just visit the main forums here at BF and I would never have to step a foot to that separate thread called "Season 8 Comic Style". So I never would know what happened there because majority of the S8 talk in main Buffy forum is spoilered. I could never make that distinction for example if I went crazy and decided BtVS ended with The Gift. There are no forums having separate threads for what happened after The Gift and for good reason. But I could so easily make that distinction between S1-7 and S8 Comics here and actually there are many who do.
                              Whether or not you choose to ignore it still doesn't mean squat as to what is or is not canon. I can decide for myself that the sun rises in the west or the earth orbits Pluto if I want, but it ain't gonna make it so. (And there are people who insist that BtVS ended with "The Gift". Of course, IMO, you called their mental status correctly...)
                              "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

Also loved his answer about the ending of the Awakening. That really was obvious, nevertheless it's great that he confirms Angel wasn't a jerk making love to a woman and picturing ex-girlfriend the same time.
                                Quite frankly it doesn't bother me at all wether he was thinking about Buffy or not, but I don't know why suddenly the writer's opinion is important to people? Both Tim Minear and DB stated *at the time* it's because he was thinking about Buffy and not "like fifty years later" where "they think" it meant something else but "don't really remember." I mean why do people pick and choose when to believe the creative team and when not to? It's just cherry picking and claiming definitive authority to some statements then blatantly ignoring others when it doesn’t suit an opinion someone may have.

As far as I’m concerned a writer’s opinion is rather irrelevant to me regardless of wether I agree with he or she or not. No one should have to rely on external interviews and sources for the series and many fans who watched the show probably never even did.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I'm sorry, but the episode Awakening was written by David Fury and Steven S. DeKnight. What's Tim Minear got to do with this? Moreover, what's DB got to do with what happened in the episode, he's just an actor, he can't decide anything. Or very much that is (actors of course can decide some finesses in how they play, but I personally didn't read deep love for Buffy from DB's acting in Awakening).
                                  Anyway, shouldn't we rather continue this in Angel's Crush On Cordy thread? KingofCretins and Enisy make wonderful points there.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DF
                                    Well, it certainly isn't me... I can tell you that! No, sir, ma'am, no gayness here. I don't care what posters of Chase Crawford I have in my bedroom...
                                    OMG David Fury is a Gossip Girl fanboy! Sorry but this GG shoutout just made me squee!

Originally posted by Buffyfest
                                    You wrote "Awakening", which ends on a scene of Angel making love to Cordelia (with his eyes closed the entire time). As he loses his soul he cries out "Buffy!" Some fans concluded he was actually imagining he was with her, while others believe he was saying it simply out of fear or that you were just echoing "Surprise". What was your actual intention?

DF: Wow... That was, like, fifty years ago, so it's difficult to remember. I'm gonna go with answer B. Or C. I think it was more of a sense memory thing, rather than imagining he was with Buffy.
                                    Thank you very much for that, David Fury! My Cangel shipping heart is beyond pleased to hear that. I always interpreted it that way but it's gratifying to learn that the writer of this episode intepreted it the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                                      Quite frankly it doesn't bother me at all wether he was thinking about Buffy or not, but I don't know why suddenly the writer's opinion is important to people? Both Tim Minear and DB stated *at the time* it's because he was thinking about Buffy and not "like fifty years later" where "they think" it meant something else but "don't really remember." I mean why do people pick and choose when to believe the creative team and when not to? It's just cherry picking and claiming definitive authority to some statements then blatantly ignoring others when it doesn't suit an opinion someone may have.

As far as I'm concerned a writer's opinion is rather irrelevant to me regardless of wether I agree with he or she or not. No one should have to rely on external interviews and sources for the series and many fans who watched the show probably never even did.
                                      Oh my yes, I agree. LMAO! I think it's funny cause DF's quote about that is so vague and tenuous and yet we know why some will grip it with such force. Oh well, it's funny to me. Of course, it's funnier since I discovered this forum has an "ignore" option....

-Luc
                                      sigpic

Comment

I'm not S8 hater. If I was, I wouldn't be reading it. But I don't necessarily view it as canon as well. So it's great to read that there are people, especially people like Mr Fury, or Fury that is, who agree with me
                                        As I someone write recently after reading this interview "One of us! One of us"....

Comment

Working...
                                        X