Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the best fighter without extra powers in the 'verse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the best fighter without extra powers in the 'verse?

This thread is the other version of my other thread. Only this one is easier because there are no different superpowers. Wesley and Giles are in the poll, but I'm talking about them fighting without magic.
    Giles
    2.86%
    Wesley
    22.86%
    Gunn
    45.71%
    Robin
    11.43%
    Riley without the extra powers
    5.71%
    Xander
    0.00%
    Cordelia
    0.00%
    Angel (not as a vampire of course)
    11.43%
    Somebody else
    0.00%
    I've no idea
    0.00%

I guessed Robin (because he is fairly strogn and moreover was professionally trained for many years apparently) though really I'm not sure.
    Sin is what I feast upon
    I'm forging my crematorium
    Your tomb is waiting here for you
    Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

I picked Angel.

If I only had 'I Will Remember You' to go on I wouldn't have but given how successful he's been throughout 'After the Fall' without the need of any super powers, I gotta give it to him, wether or not people find it too unrealistic.

After Angel I would have probably picked Gunn. He was always described as "the muscle" and we saw him took out demons and vamps with a lot of ease. Angel even suggests that as a vampire a human Gunn could take him out should he have to, so he's earned Angel's respect on the field that's for sure.

I would have probably picked Xander next, I've always felt he's been terribly underrated when it comes to this sort of thing. He does a marvellous job in helping out Kendra with the vamps in 'Becoming Part I' even if it does end with him being knocked out. He had a broken arm and he still manages to knock one vamp out into a daze and hurl him into another vamp coming for Cordy, giving her the time to run. And season eight has done nothing to hurt his fighting cred whatsoever, it's only proved how capable he is.

After that it'd probably go;

4) Riley
      5) Wood
      6) Cordy
      7) Giles
      8) Wes

I'm not sure why I rank Wes so low.. I think it's just because he tends to rely on weaponry more which probably says a lot about his capabilities hand to hand.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I went with Gunn, he isn't a profesional like Riley, the watchers or Robin. But he has an eye for the game and his fighting is very good.

Wesley is the person who is probably the most dangerous in a fight but not because his fighting is amazing.

edit;
        I've a hard time judging Angel because comics are so different. But it makes sense that he is a great fighter, he knows a lot about material arts, weapons and is tactical quite strong. But comics are sometimes a bit wonky with realism so I decided to go with Gunn.

my list would be;

Gunn
        Angel
        Wood
        Riley
        Wesley
        Giles
        Cordy & Xander
        Last edited by Nina; 14-01-09, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Ack. Without having read ATF I of course have no idea what Angel is like there (or only a vague one).

I agree with both Vamp and Nina about Wesley - yes, he is dangerous but mainly because of the weapons he uses, turning up out of sleeves and similar.
          Sin is what I feast upon
          Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Angel obviously. Simply because he has had 200+ years of fighting experience.

In reality it would be either him or wesley. Because it does not matter how good you are at hand to hand if you never get a chance to fight in that way. And it would be hard to when the other person is skilled in weaponry. Particularly Knives and Guns
            "I never learned from a man who agreed with me.'" Robert Heinlen

Comment

Probably Gunn. He's young, strong, resourceful - and we've seen him fight side by side with Angel at times and not come off too shabbily. Wesley's also good, but I see him as more of a weapons expert, not necessarily so good at the hand to hand. Partly cos he's littler... or maybe he just wears more close fitting clothes??

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Oh yeah Angel in detail. Hopefully not two technical.

Angel would get inside the others guard. ( You can't throw punches and kicks if they are in your face)

Angel would be consistant. Has more willpower than the others though Gunn and Wes are close behind. Not give up any advantages. And it's scary to see how good he is at killing blows. He'd only need one chance in a 5-10 min fight. They would give it particularly since everyone guard is so sloppy. Neck break back break. Etc
                "I never learned from a man who agreed with me.'" Robert Heinlen

Comment

I'm going to go with...

1. Riley
                  2. Angel
                  3. Wood
                  4. Gunn

I put Riley up there, particularly ahead of Wood and Gunn, because of training. Riley has the best and most thorough training of all of them and we know he's been doing it longer than Wood (seriously, I never got the impression Wood was actually using what training he got until he got to Sunnydale).

I put Riley ahead of Angel very slightly because (spoilers for "Angel: After the Fall")
                  Spoiler:
                  Angel is probably still getting the hang of fighting as a human and has been deliberately trying to fight as though he's still a vampire so that people think he is. If he stays human, he'd probably be at the top of the list.

After them, I'd probably go with Early Seasons/Season 8 Xander (omitting the period, especially Seasons 3, 4, and 5, when Xander was basically made less "heroic" physically in favor of launching Angel's spinoff and Nick was told to stop hitting the gym), then Cordy, then Giles, then Wesley.
                  sigpic
                  Banner by LRae12

Comment

Mine:

1. Angel
                    2. Gunn
                    3. Riley

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                    I'm going to go with...

1. Riley
                    2. Angel
                    3. Wood
                    4. Gunn

I'm going to go with...I put Riley ahead of Angel very slightly because (spoilers for "Angel: After the Fall")
                    Spoiler:
                    Angel is probably still getting the hang of fighting as a human and has been deliberately trying to fight as though he's still a vampire so that people think he is. If he stays human, he'd probably be at the top of the list.
                    Two questions:

1. Why is Riley's few years of training with the military more valuable than Angel's two centuries of experience? Irregardless of the past we didn't see, Angel's been fighting demons for longer on screen than Riley's had training. His knowledge is more extensive and that's not including that he's had some potential training in the past. He didn't just learn how to use a sword by instinct in Becoming. Buffy has an affinity for weapons, but with vampires they don't automatically gain that knowledge.

Spoiler:
                    I think he's gotten time to get used to being human. If nothing else, #15 gives him bigger demon fighting cred than Riley imo. Angel survived battling the denizens of hell (granted with some mystical healing), but he didn't die in battle. Would Riley have fared better? He might have survived too, but I don't believe he'd have accomplished as much.

sigpic

Banner Set by thedothatgirl

Comment

Can't answer both without spoilers --

(Angel: After the Fall)

Spoiler:
                      Riley understands his own body in a way that I don't believe Angel would after only a few weeks of fighting (he was healing for most of the time). Plus, Angel isn't fighting as a man, he's fighting as a vampire -- to protect his cover, he would have to be more physically reckless and do the things a vampire would and not a human. So for most of this time, it's arguable that he hasn't been learning to fight as a human as well as he might. His experience is great, but he's still a novice in some ways. So, while it's very close, as they are right now I'd give Riley the edge. Get Angel out of this situation as a human and let him truly master what he can do as a human without the vampire front, and he goes comfortably ahead of Riley on this list.
                      sigpic
                      Banner by LRae12

Comment

Not sure really. I think Angel tends to top a lot of the lists followed by Gunn. Wesley is pretty underrated actually and he certainly gave Gunn a run for his money in Soulless. Also he was the last one standing against the National Guard beaten down only by the preternaturally strong Connor and not forgetting he has held his own against vampires and Wo Ping's guard. I wouldn't have minded seeing how the fight between Gunn and Wes would have finished had Fred not have been hurt.

Comment

King, I still think if it came to a battle between Riley and Angel or if they were both faced with the same foe at different times but armed with the same weapons, Angel would come out ahead.
                          sigpic

Banner Set by thedothatgirl

Comment

I voted Gunn based on what i have seen in AtS... but having read previous posts, i kinda wish i was more well read on Angel ATF

-scurries away to local comicbook shop-

x
                            "Blue in the face with a choking regret."

Comment

I forgot about a great human warrior; Holtz.

I'm not sure how great he really was, he had some men (and women in the present time) with him. But I had the feeling that Holtz was a feared hunter.

Comment

Speaking of Holtz I would think that it would be his intangibles that would put him above some of the other fighters on this list. He obviously had charisma and new how to gather people to his cause. He was also highly intelligent and took time to learn about his enemies. So in a random fight as he was walking down the street I wouldn't hold him as high as most of the others. But if it was a enemy he had studied, he may be more formidible than say Wesley or even Riley because it was his life's work.

Then again he had to protect Connor in a hell demension and teach him how to fight so he had to be somewhat decent in just a random fight since he would not know about the creatures there. Too bad there wasn't ever a one on one fight with another member of the fang gang besides Angel. Would be very interesting to watch.(Thanks Nina for bringing him up)

I still don't think I would rank him above many on this list, I would just bunch him in there with them As in he is not a lesser fighter than say Gunn, Riley, or Wesley.

Comment

Wesley, later seasons. He was always a good fighter, but he lacked confidence. The darker Wesley kicks butt and he rocks doing it.

After Wes, my list would go:

Riley
                                  Wood
                                  Gunn
                                  Giles
                                  Cordelia

Comment

Like Boltmaiden, I think Holtz would be butchered when fighting one of those on the list alone, but he relies on allies and builds his traps carefully, which gives him strength. So, not a great fighter in the strict sense, but definitely a dangerous opponent.
                                    Sin is what I feast upon
                                    Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Originally posted by buffyholic View Post
                                      Wesley, later seasons. He was always a good fighter, but he lacked confidence. The darker Wesley kicks butt and he rocks doing it.

After Wes, my list would go:

Riley
                                      Wood
                                      Gunn
                                      Giles
                                      Cordelia
                                      Absolutely. It's possible that the WC taught him some self defense skills and with experience and confidence he simply refined them. He did remarkably well in Guise Will Be Guise, holding his own as well as Angel or Gunn.

Comment

Working...
                                      X