J. M. Woodward: one actor, few roles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J. M. Woodward: one actor, few roles?

So, yap..Recently I rewatched last seasons of Angel and Buffy and just noticed that Knox and Webster from CWDP is the same Woodward..OK, maybe that was a new just for me, and already was discussed, but what is the point to make one to play different roles in very connected shows? Can enyone explain?

He also had a role in Firefly.

From what I know they let him return in Angel because they liked him so much on the other two series and wanted to give him a bigger role this time. I think that it looks a bit sloppy to do that, but I really liked him as Knox so I can forgive ME.

Comment

There are several other actors who were on at least two of Joss' shows and a few who have been on all three.

I know there are more, but two of the other triple threat guys are Andy Umberger (D'Hoffryn, who played a monster of the week on "Angel", and the captain of an Alliance ship in the first part of the "Firefly" two hour pilot) and Carlos Jacott (Ken the demon in "Anne", Doyle's ex-wife's fiance on "Angel", and the Fed in "Serenity"). Jacott, by the way, can currently be spotted in a recurring role as one of the Henricksons' neighbors on HBO's "Big Love".
      sigpic
      Banner by LRae12

Comment

In addition to Woodward, Jacott, and Umberger, there are two more 'hat trick' actors who had roles in all 3 shows to date: Jeff Ricketts (Blue Glove Man in 2 Firefly eps; member of the Watcher's Council team that came to abduct Faith in 2 Buffy eps and 1 Angel ep) and Bob Fimiani (Mr. Ward, a Pentagon official related to The Initiative in 2 Buffy eps; Elder Gommen in "Our Mrs, Reynolds"; Codger Demon in 2 Angel eps).
        Last edited by Amuk; 02-01-09, 06:33 PM.
        Cordially,
        Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
        Addicted to Buffy

Comment

The guy who played the vampire Luke in 'Welcome to the Hellmouth/ The Harvest' is also the same actor who plays The Judge in 'Surprise/Innocence.' Also the actor who plays the insane vampire Zachary Cralik in 'Helpless' is the same actor who plays Rack in season six. I don't really mind those ones, the makeup makes them different and you don't really notice.

I wasn't too sure about Holden/Knox though, I thought that was a little bad as both seasons were running alongside eachother and Holden had a lot of screen time and dialouge in that one episode. To be honest it didn't bother me a huge lot when watching it but I think regardless of how great the actor is, you shouldn't really do it, it destroys the illusion.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

There's also Camden Toy, who plays loads of monsters in heavy make-up, like for example Gnarl, the Turok-Han and the Kindestod if I remember that correctly.
            Sin is what I feast upon
            I'm forging my crematorium
            Your tomb is waiting here for you
            Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

And Tom Lenk played a vampire in... I think it was Real Me, before he played Andrew in Season 6.

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

He did? He was on Harmony's dork gang? I'll have to keep my eyes open for him once we come that far on our re-watching rampage (currently on S4).
                Sin is what I feast upon
                Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Yup he's the guy that asks Harmony "when are we going to do it?" and the vampire that laughs and touches Dawn after she tells them "touch me and my sister's going to kill you" before being dusted by Buffy.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Hehe, had no idea that was him. Thanks for pointing it out.
                    He and Tucker don't resemble each other at all, eh? When watching S6 I did not remember too clearly what Tucker looked like, but he looks a lot different.
                    Sin is what I feast upon
                    Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Yeah they look pretty different. They actually originally planned for it to be Tucker but the actor couldn't commit to the part so they went with the idea of it being his younger brother instead. Which works, but it would have been rather interesting to see how the show would have turned out if Tucker had been part of the Trio. No "is he or isn't he?" gags, not a great deal of comedy I should think.. Tucker wasn't exactly hysterical, it would have been interesting to see if he'd have stuck around as long as Andrew has..

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Guess he might have gotten killed instead, though of course we don't know how they developped the character. Maybe he would have gain a comical touch as well.
                        Sin is what I feast upon
                        Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

After seeing "Real Me" again, I don't think it matters that the same actor was used for Cyrus and Andrew, because Cyrus never shows his human face while Andrew never shows a vampire face (duh!), so... they don't look the same at all, there's just a certain resemblance.
                          Sin is what I feast upon
                          Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Fun fact: Brad Kane, who played Tucker Wells, was the singing voice of Disney's Aladdin. He also was the singing voice for Jonathan in Superstar.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                            "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

I?m not sure but Brian Metcalf(The Master in Buffy) is the monster or bug in the episode Sacrifice on season four of Angel. And I think the guy who played Ronald Meltzer on "I fall to pieces" plays D?Hoffryn in Buffy but I?m not sure of that.

Comment

If his name is Andy Umberger, then he's D'Hoffryn. (And no idea why I remembered that name. )

I suspected Jonathan had a different singing voice, because it did not quite sound like him, but I had no idea it was anyone who had actually been on the series. So Jonathan stole Tucker's voice by magic? I wonder what Andrew would say if he found out.
                                Sin is what I feast upon
                                Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Speaking of dear, old Tucker, the hellhound raiser... Having Andrew in season 8, if Joss ever cares to actually develop him any, bringing back Tucker could be fun. I mean, he's family, so it's not like it'd be just bringing back random characters with no reason for them to be there.

And no, Mark Metcalf definitely didn't have any dual roles. Though I certainly think his performance in Animal House is worth seeing if for no other reason than getting to laugh with me because every time he speaks I expect him to start yelling "You're all worthless and weak! Now drop and give me twenty!" That "schmuck" line in particular gives me Neidermeyer flashes. I actually recognized who he was through the makeup (I was a big John Belushi fan back in the day, plus the Tom Hulce and Karen Allen factors--I've watched Animal House a lot). I have the same reaction with Brad Kane, because even while I didn't know who he was in The Prom (obviously, there's not really a face to go along with Aladdin), I had the sneaking suspicion that I knew that voice really well. He comes off very theatrical as Tucker and the voice definitely stands out.

It would be funny if Jonathan stole Tucker's voice specifically as something he wanted to have in his superstar fantasy. Jonathan obviously would know Tucker if he was hanging with Andrew and Warren. Tucker was practically the fourth member of the nerd troika (he was actually supposed to be there instead of Andrew, but Brad Kane wasn't available). Though a Warren, Tucker and Jonathan combination would basically turn into there being two Warrens.

The demon you're thinking of was Jeff Ricketts (who did have multiple roles). Jeff Ricketts was the sewer spider demon and Weatherby, the Watchers' Council goon who was trying to kill Faith. He was also on Firefly.
                                  Last edited by NileQT87; 13-02-09, 01:42 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                                  "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Seconded. Would like to find out what became of Tucker.
                                    I guess he is the dominant one in the relationship between him and his brother.
                                    Sin is what I feast upon
                                    Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Working...
                                    X