Recasted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recasted

So I was thinking about this in class today... For whatever reason. I noticed lately the Buffy-chat is be like doubled and people are bringing up some great points that I really enjoy reading.

So I came up with a thread question, and it is a bit of a toughie, so here I go...

If you could go back and be a casting director, WHO would you recast? And who would you recast them with.

Personally I have to say I would recast Michelle Tratchenberg. Don't get me wrong she is a good actress and her time on Buffy wasn't bad. She didn't suck, but she never really felt like she fit. My biggest issue with her is I never could buy that she was Buffy's sister. I know this is TV, but I still there SOME sort of effort should be made to make sibs look SOMEWHAT alike. And I just never saw it.

I would have cast Kate Todd. She is two years younger, but there is something about her that reminds of Sarah Michelle Gellar. In her acting and just the way she holds herself felt like she could be SMG's realitve.

What do you guys think? Who would you recast?

You know what, and though I loathe to say it, I would not recast Michelle. I really (I mean really, really) hated Dawn, but that was no fault of Michelle's. I actually think she was a very good actress indeed, and had pretty solid chemistry with Sarah.

It's too hard for me to come up with anyone major right now that I could easily recast. I do have two evil Angel people though - Gavin and Eve. Those were two of the weakest actors to ever appear on either show, in my opinion. And no, I will not give Daniel Dae Kim a waiver simply because he's on Lost.
    You've got to get behind the mule in the morning and plow.

www.myspace.com/brettknickerbocker

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalLeonardo View Post
      I would have cast Kate Todd. She is two years younger, but there is something about her that reminds of Sarah Michelle Gellar. In her acting and just the way she holds herself felt like she could be SMG's realitve.
      Ummmm. woah. That's just freaky. If you don't get it just look at this pic.

I think that making Dawn too similar to Buffy would've made it seem too gimmicky and cheesy. It'd sorta turn her into a mini-Buffy making a hard to swallow situation (the monk's spell) even less believable for the audience. It might also seem like a bit of a grab for another spinoff or something...

I can't actually come up with any characters I'd like to recast... None of them seem to have made enough of a bad impression...

{tumblr}
      AKA nonbeliever93

Comment

I'm not sure who I'd recast if it was 1997... maybe I don't understand the question, though

I don't know enough of this girl's work to say, but she does look like Sarah. Although, it was Sarah that pitched Michelle to Joss, they already had a relationship, and I think their on-screen chemistry reflected that, so I wouldn't have recast Dawn. Honestly, Michelle would be near the top of my list to recast *as* Buffy if we were starting from the top, although I'm not sure how she'd look as a blond.
        sigpic
        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Not to mention, there are plenty of real-life siblings who don't really resemble each other, as well, so that's really irrelevant. If I were recasting anybody, I think maybe Glory. I didn't think much of Clare Kramer's acting. As far as the regular cast, Charisma Carpenter was probably the weakest actor among them, but even there, "Cordelia" owed a lot to CC's portrayal. I wouldn't change any of them.
          "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

I wouldn't change any of them going back in time to 1997. But If was casting them now, I think that one off of gossip girl would be good for Buffy. The one who plays Serena.

I've said this before, but an English actor called Tom Hardy would've made a brilliant Spike. He's got a rough diamond quality to him, but I think he might be able to do the tender stuff well too.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/im....jpg&width=369

http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/20...06_243x359.jpg

Heh, just had a funny thought... how about Christopher Eccleston for Giles and David Tennant as Wesley. Ok, not seriously. But...Tennant would make such a cute Wesley:

http://static.guim.co.uk/Guardian/ar...nnant-7863.jpg

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post

I think that making Dawn too similar to Buffy would've made it seem too gimmicky and cheesy. It'd sorta turn her into a mini-Buffy making a hard to swallow situation (the monk's spell) even less believable for the audience. It might also seem like a bit of a grab for another spinoff or something...
              Indeed. They had problems one season (S6, IIRC) with Anya looking too much like Buffy from the back, so Emma had to change her hairdo. I just don't think it would ever work for Dawn to look that much like Buffy.
              Cordially,
              Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
              Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Okay so this is slightly off topic but when reading this about changing cast and chemistry between the actors I was thinking about I even though there are many strong British actors out there I could not imagine anyone else playing Giles. That brought up Jenny his best love interest and who he had wonderful chemistry with. So one thing I think I would have liked to see is Giles get another real chance at love and thus who to cast for the role.

So does anyone remember Giles doing all those coffee commercials? Whoever the woman was, that would have been fabulous...not only because of chemistry but as a little *wink, wink* to one of his previous err gigs.

Anyway I apologize for being a bit off topic.

I really think Michelle is a good actress but I never really got the chemistry that was supposedly there between her and Sarah, so if they did recast her I wouldn't protest to much, and I don't mind siblings not looking alike per say but I didn't see anything that made me think of Buffy or Joyce...maybe I just missed those little nuiances but many times siblings may have certain mannerisms that are alike or maybe they would just have the same eyes...but it truly did seem like she was just placed there by monks in my opinion...at least until Potential.

I don't know which way Joss was going for when it came to Dawn.

So that is the best I got when it comes to recasting. I can definitely see where Digital Leonardo is coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowan Hawthorn View Post
                  If I were recasting anybody, I think maybe Glory. I didn't think much of Clare Kramer's acting.
                  I completely agree. I really enjoyed the premise of Season Five, and Glory as a character, but she Clare Kramer drove me crazy.

"You said Snakey-Wakey would find my key!"
                  You've got to get behind the mule in the morning and plow.

www.myspace.com/brettknickerbocker

Comment

how can u recast them when they have been them actors from day one, it wouldnt be the same. its like saying why not make buffy a vampire and angel a slayer it wouldnt wk.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
                      Andrew, you posted a nearly identical picture I was going to post! And yeah, it *is* freaky. Except I have Kate Todd in this one. I'd like to see the two of them on-screen together. I don't think it would've been too gimmicky to have Dawn look more like Buffy and I imagine they could make Kate Todd look different enough that the resemblance of body and bone structure would shine through. Like imagine if Dawn had a punk vibe or wore silly clothes like early-Willow. It's easy to style two girls and make them seem completely different.

I've always loved how similar SMG was to Kristine Sutherland. I thought they hit it out of the ballpark with that casting mother-daughter pairing. So yeah, I would have enjoyed it if Dawn had more closely resembled SMG. But like others have said, Trachtenberg and SMG had a genuine sister-vibe that translated to the screen so I'd prioritize the acting over the appearance.

My question is this: how good of an actress is Kate Todd? 'Cause I thought Trachtenberg did a fantastic job with her role and really, I can only fault that there's no resemblance between her and SMG.

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                      Honestly, Michelle would be near the top of my list to recast *as* Buffy if we were starting from the top, although I'm not sure how she'd look as a blond.
                      Michelle, I fear, would look bad as a blond. She doesn't have the right complexion for it. SMG has this skin tone that makes her look great with any hair color (blond, red, brown, even black), while Michelle is very fair skinned and dark hair flatters her best.
                      sigpic

Banner Set by thedothatgirl

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post

I've said this before, but an English actor called Tom Hardy would've made a brilliant Spike. He's got a rough diamond quality to him, but I think he might be able to do the tender stuff well too.

I've seen Tom Hardy recently in the role of Bill Sikes in a TV adaptation of Oliver. He wasn't called on to be tender in that role. It's interesting that he was chosen to play a role as Captain Picard's clone in the Star Trek Movie, "Nemesis." ahead of James, who was also under consideration for the part.

Comment

If I were to recast the Buffy Cast, I'd cast Ewan McGregor, Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, just so they could be in it .

No. Seriously.

But to be fair, I think everyone was rightly cast. And I Clare Kramer. I Glory. She's awesome. And I love Clare.

I didn't like Dawn, but I thought Michelle was rightly cast.

I'd maybe recast Angel though, because I don't like David Boreanaz I'd cast someone a bit more eccentric, just to give Angel a bit of an edge. I found David just...too dull. And that's why I thought Angel was dull. I don't know who I'd cast...but I'd probably cast Johnny Depp, just for the hell of it!

sigpic
                          ♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

Comment

I would recast Connor. I think my Connor-hate has alot to do with Vincent. He's a good actor and I like him in Mad men. I just think he does Connor really unlikable.

Comment

Working...
                            X