''Not another Supernatural Show''

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ''Not another Supernatural Show''

Got the idea for this thread from a reply I was making in another thread!!

Is it just me or do viewers have a problem with the fantasy shows. Other than the odd cult show (Btvs,Ats, Supernatural etc) there seems to be an intolerance to fantasy, do people perceive that just because a show is not about real life, that the writing/acting are not up to par. Do we really live in a society that cannot understand a theme or plot unless it has been dumbed down to such an extent that they can vegitate in their arm chairs until their brain runs out of their bloody ears.

Please someone tell me it isnt so!!!

Is TV from now on going to be a continual line of non descript shows, featuring little or no plot line and little or no talent.

Where is the next Joss Whedon? Who is the next Joss Whedon? and where will the next generation of writers take their inspiration from?

Three excellent questions!
    Its been a while loveys but Fangtastic is back!!

Actually, I don't have the feeling that the viewers have something against fantasy shows. Charmed, BtVS, Ats, Smallville, Supernatural, Medium, Ghostwhisperer, Heroes ... all shows that 'made' it. Also True Blood is doing well. Of course not all the fantasy series are a big success, but that's the case with every genre.

And everybody has an unique taste, some people don't like fantasy but that doesn't mean that nobody likes it. I think that the success of Twilight, Harry Potter and LoTR are more than enough 'prove' that people like fantasy.

The only problem I do have is the lack of prices for fantasy series. Golden Globes and Emmies go very rarely to fantasy series.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
      Actually, I don't have the feeling that the viewers have something against fantasy shows. Charmed, BtVS, Ats, Smallville, Supernatural, Medium, Ghostwhisperer, Heroes ... all shows that 'made' it.
      While I agree that these are all good shows, none, with the exception of Heroes, has attracted the big audiences on prime time!

All these shows are what I would call 'Cult', ok, perhaps a bit of a generalisation! but my main point is the decreasing standards in general of our television and the general dumbing across the board, we are flooded with reality shows of supposedly 'Social importance' seriously Wife Swap, Dog Whisperer, the insane (sorry inane) day to day of Jordon to name but a fewZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sorry nodded of there.

How far down this road until the shows mentioned above are merely memories, with nothing to replace them, god, you honestly think that Charmed, Smallville, Medium and Ghostwhisperer had the same sustained quality of the Btvs and Ats.

Lets face it the replacements aint as good! (IMHO)
      Its been a while loveys but Fangtastic is back!!

Comment

Supernatural, fantasy, scifi have always been considered a lesser subclass of entertainment by the general public. So much, that they are often just called by the generic term of "genre".

I think in recent years, genre shows have actually become more mainstream and have entered the popular conscious as not so different than other traditional types of shows.

Lost and Heroes are obviously the biggest ratingswise. But so many new shows have been developed in the last 3 seasons, it's impossible for me to see that the genre is fading away and ceding defeat.

Personally I think we are on the rise and growing each year into mainstream acceptability.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by dothedanceofjoy View Post
          While I agree that these are all good shows, none, with the exception of Heroes, has attracted the big audiences on prime time!

All these shows are what I would call 'Cult', ok, perhaps a bit of a generalisation! but my main point is the decreasing standards in general of our television and the general dumbing across the board, we are flooded with reality shows of supposedly 'Social importance' seriously Wife Swap, Dog Whisperer, the insane (sorry inane) day to day of Jordon to name but a fewZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sorry nodded of there.

How far down this road until the shows mentioned above are merely memories, with nothing to replace them, god, you honestly think that Charmed, Smallville, Medium and Ghostwhisperer had the same sustained quality of the Btvs and Ats.

Lets face it the replacements aint as good! (IMHO)

I guess that we have different opinions, I love both series but I'm afraid that I'm not on the 'even on it's lowpoint it was better than any other series' bandwagon. Season 7 was crap IMO, and also BtVS 4 & 6 and Ats 1 & 5 were seasons that are not topping any other tv show. I believe that Heroes season 1 comes very close to the brilliance that was BtVS on it's highpoint. DW is another series that comes very close. I haven't seen much of Supernatural but that's another series I rate very high.

About the ratings on primetime; yes more people watch realistic dramaseries/comedies when it airs. I think that this has two reasons; the fantasy fandom is a real internet fandom. Big chance that the most people download the episode instead of watching it on tv. And yes, clearly a big group of people prefer the regular dramaseries, it's less difficult to watch in the most cases. You recognize the problems better. But this doesn't mean that the fantasy series are bad or that all the viewers are against it. There is so much on tv, you've to make choices.

And of course; The CW can't reach all the Americans while it's the network with the most fantasy series.
          Last edited by Nina; 02-12-08, 05:14 PM.

Comment

I think a lot depends on the quality of the show just as with any genre (apart, seemingly, from reality telly).

Shows such that have strong fantasy elements such as Life on Mars, Doctor Who and Supernatural have been successful in the mainstream and attracted large audiences. Other shows in the same sort of genre have proved to be less sustainable with the mainstream but that may reflect more on the individual show than on the genre
            JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
            Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

Sci/Fi & fantasy have been gaining some more ground in recent years but generally it is a genre with a smaller but more devoted fanbase. And it's not that people are stupid and want their stuff dumbed down, it's just that it a genre that doesn't appeal to a large mass.

I can say that I did not care for the genre until about 6 or 7 years ago.

And I think getting people to follow the genre on tv is more difficult because there is some huge box office sales for it in the movie industry.
              sigpic
              follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I also get the idea that most people don?t like fantasy shows, like Buffy. I keep telling that the show talks about real life and real issues, but they just can?t get past the whole fantasy thing, they can?t see what?s underneath. The same happens with Angel, Charmed and a few others. Although X-Files was clearly the exception and a lot of people (at least here in Portugal) love Smallville.

But this genre is not well accepted, as much as the rest.

Comment

I think that the problem is that most supernatural shows are crap. The best thing about Buffy it's the way it balances fantasy with reality. Plus in Buffy a lot of tgs are a metaphor for real things. And it doesn't make everything about the supernatural, which i think is the mistake in shows like Supernatural (of which I've seen the first series and hated it).
                  I'm not sure I made myself clear but I'll post this anyway.

OKay, I'll say in a better way: Buffy isn't just a supernatural show, it's a GOOD supernatural show. It's funny, it's witty, it's sad, it's mysterious. What I'm trying to say is that there are good shows (like Buffy, Heroes -well, at least the first season-) and bad shows (like Supernatural or Smallville -which i fairly like, but also find it kind of dumb)
                  Last edited by Ehlwyen; 03-12-08, 04:47 PM. Reason: merged double posts
                  What? You?ve taught a psycho killer demon how to be human by making him watch Sex and the City?

1.02 Never been kissed OUT NOW/ 1.03 Damned by the bell COMING SOON

Comment

I think that depends on your opinion, right now you use your own opinion as a fact. There are also enough Charmed lovers who hate BtVS. There are BtVS lovers who hate Ats and vice versa. Some people are not interested in a soapy fantasy series like BtVS, others love it.

Comment

I know. I'm sorry if I sound offensive to other shows, it's just my opinion. Please don't take personally the things i say.
                      What? You?ve taught a psycho killer demon how to be human by making him watch Sex and the City?

1.02 Never been kissed OUT NOW/ 1.03 Damned by the bell COMING SOON

Comment

If the show has a good premise, good acting and good stories, I like it. Even if it?s a show that?s very rooted in the fantasy genre. If it has a good story and good acting, that?s a very good start for me.

Comment

Originally posted by cliomiao View Post
                          And it doesn't make everything about the supernatural, which i think is the mistake in shows like Supernatural (of which I've seen the first series and hated it).
                          I guess you only watched Supernatural casually then, because the show simply uses the supernatural as a backdrop for the family drama of the Winchesters. The show is about dyfunctional families, siblings relationships and the loyalty between family members. Nearly every casefile reflects back on the relationship between the brothers or uses the monsters as metaphors for character exploration. There's a very tightly woven net of recurring themes like loss, grief, sacrifice, destiny and choice throughout the show.

I don't say you need to like the show, but there's a lot more to it than meets the eye to a casual viewer. To say Supernatural is a show about the supernatural is like saying Buffy the Vampire Slayer is about vampires.
                          Last edited by galathea; 04-12-08, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X