Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you enjoy BtvS and AtS, surely you must like...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you enjoy BtvS and AtS, surely you must like...

This was an idea "dothedanceofjoy" had in another thread. Hope he/she doesn't mind me starting this, felt moved to do it right away.

Anyway, we were talking about other shows that we like, or have seen, or haven't seen, for example...

dothedanceofjoy said:
    If you have never seen Our Friends in the North, go buy/rent/borrow/steal a copy as it is absolutely fantastic, yes even Daniel Craig!! but the performances fron Gina McKee and Chris Eccelston are excellent.
    Thanks for the rec! Gina M is also a big fave, so, sounds great.

And then dothedanceofjoy asked:

Do the fans of Btvs and Ats like the same TV? Maybe a question for another day!!
    Today, perhaps...

So, what do people think? Are there certain shows that seem a natural follow on from liking BtVS and AtS? Or are those meeting points for people who love all kinds of things? Is BtVS more of a unifier-of-different-tastes, or is AtS? Or is BtVS more of a "you like this, so you'll like this", or is AtS?

DISCUSS!

PS

Anyway the only one I aint too sure of is Ultraviolet. Never watched that one!
    1997 show with vampires plus the guy who played stringer bell on the wire = ok, not as good as buffy, but still very interesting stuff. Sort of like Spooks but with vampires and possibly fewer explosions.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Oh Ultraviolet was excellent. I saw it as a kind of 'Buffy meets the X Files'. They never actually used the 'V' word though.

Comment

Veronica Mars, definitely. If for no other reason than Aly and Charisma in amazing roles, and a cameo by Joss himself. Also, BSG and Lost. I always saw those three shows as the successors of Buffy, in terms of pushing the boundaries of television and being at the cutting edge of Awesome.

Comment

moonlight maybe? FOrever knight? I saw one about a woman named vikki but can't remember the name? Is ultraviolet available on dvd?

Comment

Don't know any of these, not even sure if they ever were aired here.

But another thing that seems to be attractive to a Buffy fan... is anyone of you a lover of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels too? The witty dialogue and humour in general is a rather similar one.
          Sin is what I feast upon
          I'm forging my crematorium
          Your tomb is waiting here for you
          Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

I find that a lot of Buffy fans love Veronica Mars, I think they both share the same kind of humour and they both have tough women too. I think as Buffy is such a mixture genre wise, you will often find at least someone who shares your taste in other shows.

I also liked Ultraviolet, being British though, I don't think it could ever have been as slick as the American shows but it was still a good show. I also like Roswell, Tru Calling and Heroes. I love supernatural tv shows, funnily enough though I have never seen Supernatural but it used to be shown at a weird time over here, like 11pm when I would be going to bed.
            sigpic

Comment

A lot of Buffy fans love Veronica Mars and in fact, fans of Buffy(mostly here) encouraged me to watch VM and now I totally love it, it reminds a bit of Buffy.
              Maybe Supernatural is also alike, although no show will ever be as great and memorable as Buffy, imo.

Comment

BtVS fandom led me to VM, to be sure, for which I am most grateful. One I've recently discovered and liked a lot that I think BtVS fans in general would like is Wonderfalls (it's an interesting little series that got cancelled too soon, as so many promising but quirky shows are).

It might be on the obvious side, but Xena deserves a mention, too. I found it a bit too campy for my tastes, but there's definitely some crossover appeal potential for some.

Also, while I don't generally go for 'procedurals', I've really enjoyed David Boreanaz's current show Bones. It has some of the quirky, character-driven sense of humour that was such a big part of what made BtVS so great.
                Cordially,
                Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Yes, I agree Veronica Mar's pop culture is very Buffy reminiscent.

I think if someone enjoyed early seasons of Buffy then they would enjoy SN for its metaphors, monster mythology, and the seemingly personal fight that turns out to be on a much grander scale.

In more superficial or topical ways, Supernatural is different than Buffy. SN is not about female empowerment, it's about the strength of siblings and the love of family. Buffy abhorred guns, SN is fairly reliant upon firearms. Among other things they are completely different shows, but I do believe that for the most part Buffy fans can like Supernatural.

I think Buffy fans would like Alias. It has the single girl who has to fight the world herself, while it has the long swooping arcs of AtS.

Originally posted by Amuk
                  It might be on the obvious side, but Xena deserves a mention, too. I found it a bit too campy for my tastes, but there's definitely some crossover appeal potential for some.
                  Ooh yes. I always thought Buffy was a great extrapolation of what Xena introduced to television.

Particularly in Buffy's early seasons. The strong female fairly alone in her struggle. Gabrielle is like Willow in her quirky nature and desire to do good without believing she has anything extraordinary within her. Joxer like Xander in his lack of ability to be a physical force, but stronger in his heart and determination.

The martial arts fighting and tongue in cheek references of Xena definitely arise in Buffy. I do love Xena for its balancing of lighthearted episodes alongside its epic dark arc episodes. I think Buffy lost a lot of its fun and joy in life in later seasons.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

I think The Avengers in the 1960s was the first show to give us an empowered female. When Honor Blackman started throwing the bad guys over her shoulder in about 1962 it caused a sensation. Honor herself is a judo expert. However, those shows were shot cheaply on videotape. When Diana Rigg came in as Emma Peel for the 1965-66 season the show went onto monochrome film, and they were in essence short movies. It was these that were shown in America and proved popular to the extent that they still turn up in syndication.

The two Diana Rigg seasons --the second one in color--were so well written,acted, and shot they they stand up well today as examples of 60s wit and chic. Brian Clemens was the main creative writer and it was dead stupid to make an Avengers movie without him. When "the suits" think they know better than the creative people you know that a turkey is about to be born.

The New Avengers of the 1970s also has a number of superb episodes, with Joana Lumnley as a tough and convincing female agent. In fact the series deserves a better reputation than it has.

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
                      introduced to television.

Particularly in Buffy's early seasons. The strong female fairly alone in her struggle. Gabrielle is like Willow in her quirky nature and desire to do good without believing she has anything extraordinary within her. Joxer like Xander in his lack of ability to be a physical force, but stronger in his heart and determination.

The martial arts fighting and tongue in cheek references of Xena definitely arise in Buffy. I do love Xena for its balancing of lighthearted episodes alongside its epic dark arc episodes. I think Buffy lost a lot of its fun and joy in life in later seasons.
                      Totally agree. I think alot of people forget that before Buffy there WAS Xena. The first few seasons were amazing and Xena really is one of those shows that is just TOTAL female impowerment, it's only two leads are females and usually the bigger threats are female adding an equal idea that woman can be good and badass. Then the show started to become a bit of a joke Luckly the finale was just simply amazing.

Though I think one of the MOST iconic female hero was Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman. I know she wasn't first, but when I think female heroes/action stars I think Lynda Carter. And alot of people seem to forget her Also The Bionic Woman and old-school Batgirl (yes, purple spandex is empowering!!!)

And to end this... XENA FOREVER! I really should get the DVDs.

Comment

I can't really get into veronica mars but i do love Heros (even though i havent seen the second season or later due to the fact im alway in work when its on) and tru calling (awesome show if youve never seen it) and i used to watch the heck out of roswell.

Ultra violet the movie right? Or was there a tv show i never heard of? I seen the movie ultrviolet and i really didnt find it well written. I felt like the movie was a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa Marie86 View Post
                          I can't really get into veronica mars but i do love Heros (even though i havent seen the second season or later due to the fact im alway in work when its on) and tru calling (awesome show if youve never seen it) and i used to watch the heck out of roswell.

Trust me, watch about the first 6 episodes of Veronica Mars, get to "Like a Virgin" and then it just gets better from there on out. The last 5 episodes of season 1 are some of the best pieces of television ever produced.

Heroes season 1 is spectacular, but personally I think it should have just not produced a season 2 but season 1 is more then worth it too watch. And Tru Calling is of course perfect. I remember watching it when it was still on TV

Comment

Tru Calling is of course perfect. I remember watching it when it was still on TV
                            It really is.. again i didnt get to see the second season (i work second shift so when all the tv shows are on im at work.... and i dont have set days off a week soo... yea) but i recommend Tru calling to anybody that will listen, i cant believe it got took off the air... Elisa was the perfect perso to have played that part i feel.

A sho i never liked(not that its been mentioned) was Dawsons creek. I can get into shows like that.. i like suspsense, action, drama... not just drama, drama, and cheating on each other.

Maybe i should give veronica mars a chance i havent heard anything but good things about it. And heroes first season.. man.. i couldnt get enough!

Now firefly and fringe.. ive never seen can anybody vouche for them?? Im always up for something new to watch!!
                            Last edited by Theresa Marie86; 30-11-08, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa Marie86 View Post
                              Now firefly and fringe.. ive never seen can anybody vouche for them?? Im always up for something new to watch!!
                              It's not likely you'll find too many Firefly detractors here. And with good reason. I cannot urge you strongly enough to watch it ASAP.

And, as I've already said, I recommend VM, too. The first season is the best, but 2 and 3 were pretty good, too (not the massive falloff in quality we've seen with Heroes). It was a shame it didn't get picked up for another season. They had a pretty cool idea for where to go with the series.

If you're up for something new to watch, those two deserve to be at the top of the list.

Fringe, OTOH, I find kind of lame. I gave it seven episodes to hook me, but it just didn't. There's nothing there that hasn't been done better elsewhere, but for some reason FOX has supported it to the hilt (unlike some other, better properties we could name). It has some promise, but didn't really seem to be doing much with it. Maybe it'll turn the corner and become a good show, but for now I've given up.
                              Cordially,
                              Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                              Addicted to Buffy

Comment

I blasted through the entirety of Roswell in about 3 days. A lot of BtVS/AtS alumni are in there. Awesome show. It had some problems when it gave too much time to Katherine Heigl's Isabel character (don't get me started on Jesse)... and Tess wasn't the most popular because she broke up the main couple for a season, but it was pretty amazing. Jason Behr, Brendan Fehr, Shiri Appleby, Majandra Delfino and Colin Hanks were great.

I loved that Brendan Fehr was cast as Jared Booth on Bones (hate his current hair, though). The old WB boys.

Jason Behr, Julie Benz, Keith Szarabajka and Jim Ortlieb were among those who were also on BtVS or AtS.

And seeing John Doe as Liz's dad was great because I remember him vividly in Great Balls of Fire.
                                Last edited by NileQT87; 30-11-08, 03:05 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                                "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Doctor Who. It has that wonderful quality shared with Buffy that often you're left thinking about episodes, premises and what-ifs years after first seeing an episode. Plus nice big means vs ends explorations regarding the fate of humanity/the world.

House. I watch this show because of House's character (and to an extent, because House is played so brilliantly by Hugh Laurie; perhaps if a less able actor played the part I would be less invested?). It completely intrigues me how a Doctor can be so misanthropic. And there is constant teasing with the audience over House's ability to be human - sometimes he shows a bit of emotion, sometimes he is a complete b*stard, and most of the time he's an arrogant and rude arsehole but who ultimately saves the day. Plus the humour! A complete mix of sarcasm, wit, pop culture, satire. Superb.

Jeeves and Wooster. Again, Laurie shines here. As does Fry. Who now could think of anyone else as Jeeves and Wooster?! The humour is savage in ripping into the pretensions of the upper classes, and people in general. I think people see 'period dramas' like Jeeves and Wooster or any Austen as being less satirical than modern day dramas, but I think we are seeing this through today's eyes where swearing, crudeness and sex jokes are seen as the most solid form of humour. Now, don't get me wrong, they are funny, but old fashioned humour can be good too - I can't understand how people don't piss themselves at how ridiculous Mr Elton is in Emma.

Peep Show. For two reasons. One, the juxtaposition of two such unlike people. The classic odd couple. Two, how we can hear their innermost thoughts, pretty self-explanatory.

Comment

Well if you mean "like Buffy/Angel" then definitely Moonlight (Forever Knight begat Angel which begat Moonlight).

I haven't found a female vampire killer show that reminds me of Buffy. There are some books that feature female vampire killers.
                                    -TP<3
                                    "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                                    - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

I think Veronica Mars is the real successor to Buffy. Even though VM doesn't deal with supernatural, they had the same sense of humor and many points in common.
                                      What? You?ve taught a psycho killer demon how to be human by making him watch Sex and the City?

1.02 Never been kissed OUT NOW/ 1.03 Damned by the bell COMING SOON

Comment

You must watch VM, it?s wonderful. I was instantly hooked and I love S1. S2 is pretty awesome and I cannot wait for S3 right now. After Buffy and Angel, this is my favourite drug.
                                        I?ve started Supernatural now and I enjoy it alot, it reminds of Buffy a little.

Comment

Working...
                                        X