If they die - I'm GONE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If they die - I'm GONE!

I'm a big LOST fan and as you know someone is always dying off on the show. Slowly and surely the original characters are being picked off one by one.

My favorite character is Sawyer - a character who has been living on borrowed time from the first episode! Rumor is - he was supposed to wander off into the the Jungle and kill himself but because the fans loved him so much they've kept him around to come back in Season 5!

Now, I have a LOT of time and $$$ invested in LOST and Sawyer. I've already made up my mind if they kill him off - I won't see the show out till the end. I love the show - but for me the characters are the most important and I become emotionally attached to my fave's.

I also recognize I'm in a very small minority of fans - most will continue to watch w/o their fave character because they just love the show. But some, like me, will not.

That brings me to Buffy.

There's no doubt who my fave character is on Buffy/Angel. And lately I've had some "icky" feelings about Spike not being around much longer. Spike has the same story as Sawyer - he was supposed to die in S2 but the fans loved him too much. I've also heard a rumor that Joss never really liked the character too much.

At the end of Season 7 the only thing that saved me from really not liking JW was I had read spoilers that Spike was going to appear in Angel S5. Still, I was a wreck at the end of Chosen!

And when S5 Angel ended so crappy - I was on pins in needles as to whether he survived the Alley Fight!

But I thnk if they kill Spike off in the comics I will no longer read Buffy/Angel again. It just won't be the same.

So, I ask you - the loyal fans - what will you do if your favorite character is killed off Buffy/Angel? For some of you, that has already happened. I think I know the anwer for most - why would we still be obscessing about a show after it's been off the air for 5 years!

I open it for discussion - character(s) or show?
    Yes - I love the Buffy/Angelverse not the characters
    42.86%
    No - I'll never read/watch again-sell stuff on EBay.
    8.57%
    Yes - And my fave character has been killed off.
    20.00%
    Other - Not sure; neutral; don't care
    28.57%

The poll is expired.

ThePoet's<3
    I am NOT Twilight!!
    Last edited by ThePoet's<3; 09-11-08, 02:23 AM.
    -TP<3
    "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
    - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

To me the characters and the show are intertwined. And the characters are intertwined with each other. So, while I do have a favorite character (Willow), and that character is a big part of the attraction for me, this is not "The Willow Show", any more than it's "The Xander Show" or "The Spike Show." Whether her death would spoil me on the story would depend entirely upon how it was handled.
    "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

There are a couple of shows that i watch for just one character or one relationship. If Seth had been written out of The O.C., for example, or the Seth/Summer relationship had been ended with finality I would have stopped watching. But the shows I really love (Lost, BSG, Buffy, etc) I love the whole package, and won't stop watching/reading until the end.

Of course, I have a big beef with television for being a tad too safe. There are always one or a couple of characters who are always safe (unless it's the series finale). Jack and Kate for Lost. Lee, Kara, Baltar for BSG. Buffy, Willow, Xander for Buffy. I would love if one of those shows (or any show) were brave enough to kill off a or the main character of their own volition and deal with the aftermath in the show.
      XavierZane
      Book Guy
      Last edited by XavierZane; 09-11-08, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty against leaving the show no matter who gets killed off, though of course anyone can do it.

I think Buffy/Xander/Willow is the strength of the show but if Joss killed Xander or Willow off, I'd be terribly upset, but I wouldn't stop watching; not a chance in hell. As Xaveir says, it's not "The Willow Show" or the "Xander show" and in my opinion I think if someone stops watching a series because *one* character gets killed off, then they're more a fan of the character than the actual series itself. That's just my honest opinion.

How can one truly love a show and yet leave it the second a character gets killed off? It doesn't work for me. I also don't understand ficle attitudes such as "if they say this I'm done" or "if this happens I'm not watching anymore" it seems like such a fine line for some fans.
        vampmogs
        Slayer Supporter
        Last edited by vampmogs; 09-11-08, 11:11 AM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I'm 'lucky' that my all time favourite character a lead character is and when Angel dies there is no Ats to watch. But I did lose my second favourite and my third favourite (Wesley and Cordelia) and I miss them a lot (well until now just Cordy ... but I know that Wes is going to leave a big gaping hole). But it was for me never an option to stop watching/reading. And if Angel dies, I wouldn't stop watching/reading (if there was a show left). Nor would I despise an ending because Angel dies.

And I'm still watching/reading BtVS, Angel, Cordy and Wesley left that show years ago. And I didn't stop watching because I wanted to know how it would go on. It's less fun when you favourites aren't anywhere near the show but again, it never crossed my mind to stop following it.
          Nina
          and her haircut.
          Last edited by Nina; 09-11-08, 10:58 AM.

Comment

From practice I know that I still watch if my favourite character or characters die in the show, in Angel Cordelia and Fred were always my favourite two characters and they killed them both in the space of 4 episodes, but I still saw the show out to the end. Again, the same can be said for Buffy, Oz, Cordelia and Faith were three of my favourite characters and they all left, but I still continued watching the show, not because I thought there was any chance they'd come back (which two of them did), but I wanted to see A) where the show was going to go and B) if another character would come along that I could be as invested in.

But, with most shows I always have more than one character that stands out, like your example of Lost, I liked Sun, Sawyer, Kate, Claire, Charlie and I quite like Juliet, so when a show like that comes along where there are multiple characters I like, it doesn't really matter to me, but I mostly watch shows for the stories, although the characters to help this.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm totally not against anyone being killed off if it's done well and for good reason. If the writers think that they've said all they can about a character and find a fitting way to end their story then I'm all for them being killed off (Darla being a main example, who I always loved and was sad to see go). Cordelia is a different case however. Her coming back in S5 for one episode was great, and ends with her dying, but it had no emotional fallout so it feels as if they ended her story in a very dissatisfying manner, so I am against the way she was killed off.

Take Lorne for example, it was becoming clear in S4 and definitely obvious in S5 that the writers had no idea what to do with him. He was completely side-lined, and in that respect I would have much rather seen him killed off in an emotional and fitting way than "killed" by degrees like they did. Even in After The Fall he still doesn't have much to do.

Xander and Willow are so ingrained in BtVS that I think it's hard to see them being killed off anyway. The series may be different without them in it if they had the guts to do it, but I wouldn't ever stop watching/reading because of it. Spike isn't my favourite character and in my eyes was never the main player that the Spikettes feel he was (ducks flying objects been thrown at me) when he was killed off in S7 I thought it was a good ending for him. Coming back in S5 of AtS was fan service pandering (allbeit for good economic reasoning) and took time away from characters that had been in the series all along *coughCordelia's deathcough* so if he's killed off in After The Fall, as long as it's done well I'm fine with it.

I'm like Nina though, my favourites are the main stars and so I know their safe until the very very end of the series. Even when Buffy died in S5, I already knew there was going to be a 6th season and so wasn't very worried that she would no longer be around. The way her death was done was very moving and fitting and if the series had've ended there then it would've been a perfect ending to her story.
              sigpic

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

Comment

It really depends on the show. Some shows, it's part of the deal. Spooks, the Wire, sometimes Jossverse shows do it to - if the show's written in a dangerous setting, there is always a fear that one of the main characters might die. In Buffy, I do feel as if Buffy, Xander and Willow are safe. But if they did die, it wouldn't feel out of keeping either.

It's generally a show I don't like very much that would only hold me as long as my favourite character was around. Although, I must say, if How I Met Your Mother lost Barney, I'd be very sad indeed, and that's a great show. But Barney's awesomeness adds something that none of the other characters can provide. Unless Robin stepped up and became the next Barney, like a Darth Vader thing... THough I think that'd only work for one ep as a joke really.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

How can one truly love a show and yet leave it the second a character gets killed off? It doesn't work for me. I also don't understand ficle attitudes such as "if they say this I'm done" or "if this happens I'm not watching anymore" it seems like such a fine line for some fans.
                  I know how u feel...For Example I have been reading alot of boards from EW.com on the show Ghost Whisperer and how they just killed
                  Spoiler:
                  Jim off the show.
                  Every person is like "Im not watching the show anymore" or "the writers dont know what we want". I cant stand when people do that.
                  sigpic

Comment

I do feel as if Buffy, Xander and Willow are safe.
                    Well as Joss pronounced ages back that he'd never permanently kill off the 'core four' (god I've always hated that expression), then I think thats a given somehow.

Even though I was a fan of BTVS when It first started watching the show and a Spike/Giles fan secondly, I'd be lying through my teeth If I'd say that If either should be done away with It would take the edge of things for me a huge amount.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with having your own personal favorites. I just see it as a testament to good writing/acting, that fans become so attached to certain characters that the feel the show isn't the same without them.

I don't think the producers of a show would want it any other way either, seeing how most shows these days have a key role character that you just know the show runners are pushing at you saying 'love him/her!'

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                      I also don't understand ficle attitudes such as "if they say this I'm done" or "if this happens I'm not watching anymore" it seems like such a fine line for some fans.

You'll have to explain to me how that is being fickle. I see it as someone who knows what they want out of their entertainment.

Perhaps it's my age, but there are too many things important to me (family, religion, career, community, country, etc.) for me to be able to justify being devoted to something as trivial as a tv show. I'll continue to watch or read a series as long as I enjoy it.

While I may stay through an arc or direction I dont enjoy; the loss of the characters I'm most invested in is often a deal breaker. How it's done will determine whether I go away satisfied or not, but I'll probably leave the series regardless of how it plays out.

How can one truly love a show and yet leave it the second a character gets killed off? It doesn't work for me.
                      I think its possible to truly love a person, yet break off a relationship with them if certain lines are crossed. I can't wrap my mind around the idea of unconditional love for a show. Surely there must be something which would stop you from continuing with a series?
                      Legend of the Seeker
                      http://www.dadt.com/lots/

Comment

It depends. I don't read Buffy or Angel comics anymore, so that doesn't necessarily apply to me.

But, say, if Willow or Xander died and the show was still on, I would not quit. If both of them were killed, I would quit. There would be absolutely nothing else I would care about. *shrugs* Simple as that.

Other shows are different for me. Take "Bones" for example. They...

Spoiler:
                        let Zack go. And I love that character.

I'm still watching because there are other stuff that I LOVE. If there was not, then yeah, I'd quit.

So, again, it all depends on 1) the character, and 2) the show.
                        BlasterBoy
                        trace your hand
                        Last edited by BlasterBoy; 09-11-08, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Just out of interest, why did you stop reading the comics?

Comment

Originally posted by sueworld View Post
                            Just out of interest, why did you stop reading the comics?
                            I really did not like the stories in the new season, at all. I read up to the end of the vampire mini-arc, and I felt the stories were just getting out of hand. Buffy's sexuality, giant Dawn (this annoyed me the most), Willow/The Goddess, crazy powerful Japanese vampires, etc.

The only two stories I liked were 1) Faith's (which they had an arc about and then didn't come back to), and 2) Xander and Renee's (and then Renee, ya know, died). I was taking a huge risk reading them, thinking I might be disappointed. And I was right. I was disappointed. So, I just quit.

Comment

Thanks for that. I'm always curious to hear why others stopped. I no longer pay to read season 8, but borrow my friends issues when they've finished with them.

I have to say I like elements of season 8, but it seems more and more 'out there' with every issue.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBoy View Post
                                I really did not like the stories in the new season, at all. I read up to the end of the vampire mini-arc, and I felt the stories were just getting out of hand. Buffy's sexuality, giant Dawn (this annoyed me the most), Willow/The Goddess, crazy powerful Japanese vampires, etc.

The only two stories I liked were 1) Faith's (which they had an arc about and then didn't come back to), and 2) Xander and Renee's (and then Renee, ya know, died). I was taking a huge risk reading them, thinking I might be disappointed. And I was right. I was disappointed. So, I just quit.
                                And the Ats comics? Did you try those?
                                Those are quite different.

Comment

Depends on if it has an actual purpose or not. It annoys the hell out of me when a show kills off a character for the sake of drama, or just to see how the other characters react. Joss has a pretty stupid perversion of thinking that death = drama. Not one out of the deaths of Wesley, Wash, or Anya were really necessary or added anything to the stories of their mediums, they were pointless treacle cutters. You could argue that death and war IS pointless and unfair, and they're trying to show that people can die without reason or explanation, but that's a total cop out. It feels like they literally sat down with their cast list for each show and tried to pick out which main character was most expendable for the hell of it.

It kind of happened with season 7... not that I'm saying this was a bad thing, but Xander's eye being put out had nothing to do with his character, it was the writers picking an expendable body part on someone close to Buffy to shake her foundations and mess with the group dynamic. It worked well, but if the comics decided to randomly kill of Xander in a sense of "oh my, what will Buffy do now?!" it would probably alienate me.

Comment

As you might have noticed, my favourite character is Spike. I am pretty sure that his death wouldn't have stopped me watching how the series continue. I would still have wanted to know what happens to other characters. However, should Spike die now, I will most certainly stop paying any attention to the comics.

Originally posted by ciderdrinker View Post
                                    Spike isn't my favourite character and in my eyes was never the main player that the Spikettes feel he was (ducks flying objects been thrown at me) when he was killed off in S7 I thought it was a good ending for him. Coming back in S5 of AtS was fan service pandering (allbeit for good economic reasoning) and took time away from characters that had been in the series all along *coughCordelia's deathcough* so if he's killed off in After The Fall, as long as it's done well I'm fine with it.
                                    I honestly do not think that having Spike around in the Ats S5 was the reason Cordy's death wasn't dealt with. It seems to be writers' intention and hadn't Spike been there I'm pretty sure the characters still wouldn't have mentioned Cordy more. I mean, their best friend is in hospital, in coma, and we see no-one visiting her. They hardly even mention her. And her death goes rather unnoticed as well (whereas Fred's death is huge. Which it was. But was Cordy's less important?) So, I would blame writers and not Spike. But then again, maybe that's the Spikette in me talking.
                                    sigpic
                                    banner by litzie avatar by diane

Comment

I voted other. Crody was my fav together with Angel. And if she had been in ATF (regulatly and alive) I would probbably read it. Now I just now a little about whats happening but not more.
                                      So I hate them killing my favs, but I couldn't stop seing cause I still love Angel. But If they killed him I don't think I would. I don't Like Connor, Nina or any of the new once.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                                        And the Ats comics? Did you try those?
                                        Those are quite different.
                                        I don't want to go way off topic...but, I have to say that I bought the first issue, and honestly...it's not the Angel I used to love. It was epic, like Season 4, but in a bad epic way. (does that make any sense?) And, I don't really like any of the characters left. There's Illyria (whose cool, but boring after awhile), Angel (who I love...but, there doing some crazy things with him), Wesley (who's dead....they should never have killed him), and Gunn (whose evil!). And there's Connor, Gwen, and Nina. I used to like Gwen, but I dislike all three of them in the comics. True, I only gave it one try, but it's just not something I'm into.

Oh, yeah! I forgot about Cordy dying! And Fred! Those two were my favorite characters (them and Wesley). And all three of them died. I was sad when they killed Cordy/Fred (and mad; since they were doing this all in the last season for purposes of drama), and then they killed Wesley. That was probably the final straw.

Comment

Working...
                                        X