Commentaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commentaries

I am watching the commentary for Innocence and Joss is being hilarious. So I was wondering if anyone has some great commentaries they would like to talk about. To quote great lines.

"I wanted to play the horror movie version of 'I slept with my boyfriend and now he's not calling and is killing hookers in alleyways'."

"The two things that are most important to me are resonance and rocket launchers. I loved party of five, made me cry every time but it suffered from lack-of-rocket-launchers."

I don't listen a lot to the commentaries, but there is one thing that always cracked me up. It was for an Ats season 4 episode. Charisma asked if she could change her haircut and they told her no because the next episode was supposed to happen on the same day. But David cut his hair without asking. Somehow, it always cracked me up, especially when I see fans complain about Angel having a different haircut in the next episode. Poor crew, they tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
      I don't listen a lot to the commentaries, but there is one thing that always cracked me up. It was for an Ats season 4 episode. Charisma asked if she could change her haircut and they told her no because the next episode was supposed to happen on the same day. But David cut his hair without asking. Somehow, it always cracked me up, especially when I see fans complain about Angel having a different haircut in the next episode. Poor crew, they tried.
      I didn't notice he had different hair, which episodes were they?

And I don't really listen to commentaries either, but I did listen to the one for Soul Purpose the other day and that was pretty funny.
      sigpic

Comment

In the commentary to 'Lessons' Joss commented that Michelle (Trachtenberg) "whined a lot" the previous season, then hastily corrected himself to explain that he meant Dawn, not Michelle.

I also liked the line "We never told Ben and Glory they were each other. Never told them, they found out in the script."

And this, about fan reaction to the introduction of Dawn's two schoolfriends in that episode:

But everybody on the Internet was like, "So, these are the new guys. And, and, and we don't know how we feel about them. And, and what's going to happen with them?" And I was like, "Well, actually we just hired them for the one episode."

In the 'Chosen' commentary during the scene where Buffy and Buffy/The First were talking to each other, Joss started riffing off how the two actresses in that scene hated each other, and were always arguing because their outfits were too similar and stuff.

Incidentally: http://stormwreath.livejournal.com/t...dvd+commentary

Comment

The Buffy commentaries were a bit of a let down, there are some good ones, but I feel the episodes that REALLY needed them were just left out. I would have enjoyed a "The Gift" commentary by Joss Whedon, a cast commentary of "Once More With Feeling" (the Joss one is fine I guess...) and a commentary with Emma Caulfield for "Selfless".

The one for "Hell's Bells" is pretty good, as is the one for "Bargining". My least favorite is the one for "Dirty Girls" cause it really should have had Eliza Dushku in it... There is also one in season 2 I think that was pretty bad... I think it was for "Reptile Boy", but I can't remember...

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalLeonardo View Post
            The Buffy commentaries were a bit of a let down, there are some good ones, but I feel the episodes that REALLY needed them were just left out. I would have enjoyed a "The Gift" commentary by Joss Whedon, a cast commentary of "Once More With Feeling" (the Joss one is fine I guess...) and a commentary with Emma Caulfield for "Selfless".

The one for "Hell's Bells" is pretty good, as is the one for "Bargining". My least favorite is the one for "Dirty Girls" cause it really should have had Eliza Dushku in it... There is also one in season 2 I think that was pretty bad... I think it was for "Reptile Boy", but I can't remember...
            Agreed! There were too many "Joss is alone" commentaries, where I would have loved some cast commentaries. We needed an Alyson Hannigan commentary and a Sarah Michelle Gellar commentary.

I agree that we should have had Eliza Dushku for "Dirty Girls", but come on, the one we ended up with is still one of the best commentaries for Buffy! Funny!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
              I didn't notice he had different hair, which episodes were they?

And I don't really listen to commentaries either, but I did listen to the one for Soul Purpose the other day and that was pretty funny.
              This was in between 'Supersymmetry' and 'Spin the Bottle' in Season Four. The commentary for 'Spin the Bottle' really cracks me up all the time. Alexis and Joss did a fabulous job.
              Banner and avatar by Nina

Comment

Everyone I see hates the commentary for 'Consequences' they think it puts them to sleep, but I love it. It's so soothing And I love hearing Conter's nice comments about how Sarah is like a daughter to him, a fun car ride he shared with Eliza and Sarah one night as they tried to follow directions and how what a professional actress Sarah is.

I must say I really don’t enjoy the commentary for ‘Bargaining’ it pretty much involves Marti Noxon just bashing the episode senseless throughout the whole thing. She complains about the jokes, the makeup, the stunts ect. It even seems like David Fury got a little sick of defending it. I mean I appreciate honesty but she was being a bit too sarcastic and snakry for me.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBoy View Post
                  Agreed! There were too many "Joss is alone" commentaries, where I would have loved some cast commentaries. We needed an Alyson Hannigan commentary and a Sarah Michelle Gellar commentary.
                  Myself, I could've handled more Joss in the commentaries. He can be a little hit or miss, but I really like his approach to the subject. He bounces around a lot, talking about scriptwriting here, lighting there, joking about something totally unrelated over yonder, then returning to the on-screen action with some behind-the-scenes tidbit you'd never be able to know otherwise, and so on. I usually feel like I've learned something about the art when he's done.

As for the actors, for all but S7 they woud have had to cram in any commentary sessions they did between shoots. SMG never had time, she's in over half the show's scenes. Nor do any of the other main cast members. So (until S7 when they were able to get a few of the major actors in for sessions after the show was over) we mostly get people who sometimes got to have slower weeks - writers and directors and the occasional actor who played a recurring character (Seth Green, for instance). And, of course, Joss, who appears to have 32 hours in each of his days instead of the 24 the rest of us get.

It would certainly have been nice to get a session or two with Alysen or SMG or ASH, but I can't say I'm surprised they weren't able to work it out.
                  Cordially,
                  Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                  Addicted to Buffy

Comment

I'm a fan of Joss's commentaries too. It's one area where never being able to shut up is an advantage - some of the other commentaries have two or three people talking and they still sometimes fall silent, but Joss is able to talk for 42 minutes non-stop by himself...

Comment

I love Jane Espenson's commentaries. Her Earshot commentary is pretty much my very favorite, because it's amusing but also has a lot of interesting stuff to say about her writing process and how the writing room worked and how the staff worked together...

Also I love the commentary from Conversations with Dead People, which is nerd-a-licious and hilarious.
                      sigpic

http://buffysmom.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by litzie View Post
                        I love Jane Espenson's commentaries. Her Earshot commentary is pretty much my very favorite, because it's amusing but also has a lot of interesting stuff to say about her writing process and how the writing room worked and how the staff worked together...
                        On that note, and just in case you don't already know, check out Jane's blog, which mainly concerns the writing process/industry in general and helping aspiring screenwriters with tips more specifically. Plus what she has for lunch.
                        Cordially,
                        Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                        Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Anyone who wants a complete list of Buffy commentaries...well....here

Buffy:

"Welcome to the Hellmouth" by Joss Whedon
                          "The Harvest" by Joss Whedon
                          "Reptile Boy" by David Greenwalt
                          "What's My Line" (Part I) by Marti Noxon
                          "What's My Line" (Part II) by Marti Noxon
                          "Innocence" by Joss Whedon
                          "Helpless" by David Fury
                          "Bad Girls" by Doug Petrie
                          "Consequences" by Michael Gershman
                          "Earshot" by Jane Espenson
                          "Wild at Heart" by Joss Whedon, Marti Noxon, and Seth Green
                          "The Initiative" by Doug Petrie
                          "Hush" by Joss Whedon
                          "This Year's Girl" by Doug Petrie
                          "Superstar" by Jane Espenson
                          "Primeval" by David Fury and James A. Contner
                          "Restless" by Joss Whedon
                          "Real Me" by David Fury and David Grossman
                          "Fool For Love" by Doug Petrie
                          "I Was Made To Love You" by Jane Espenson
                          "The Body" by Joss Whedon
                          "Bargaining" by Marti Noxon and David Fury
                          "Once More, With Feeling" by Joss Whedon
                          "Smashed" by Drew Greenberg
                          "Hell's Bells" by David Solomon and Rebecca Rand Kirshner
                          "Normal Again" by Rick Rosenthal and Diego Gutierrez
                          "Grave" by David Fury and James A. Contner
                          "Lessons" by Joss Whedon and David Solomon
                          "Selfless" by Drew Goddard and David Solomon
                          "Conversations With Dead People" by Tom Lenk, Jane Espenson, Nick Marck, Drew Goddard, and Danny Strong
                          "The Killer In Me" by Drew Greenberg and David Solomon
                          "Lies My Parents Told Me" by David Fury, Drew Goddard, James Marsters, and D.B. Woodside
                          "Dirty Girls" by Drew Goddard and Nicholas Brendon
                          "Chosen" by Joss Whedon

Comment

There are almost no actors, why is that? The Ats commentaries have a lot of the actors.

Comment

I thought Drew Greenberg and David Solomon were pretty funny doing "The Killer In Me". Especially re: the "first date" scene in the Bronze. Apparently Willow and Kennedy's drinks were real...
                              "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

I don't know I get really bored by director's commentaries or, equally, Joss's commentaries when he's focused solely on the direction. I guess it all comes down to what you're interested in, production-wise, and I'm interested in the writing.
                                sigpic

http://buffysmom.wordpress.com/

Comment

The "Spin the Bottle" commentary in Angel Season 4 is probably the funniest in either series. Alexis and Joss should start a podcast.

"Lessons" and "Chosen" are good too. And I always got a kick out of the "Welcome to the Hellmouth.../The Harvest" commentaries. Any with Joss alone are always pretty good.

Comment

Alexis and Joss team up again (this time with Amy as well) for 'A hole in the World'. Also funny.

This thread made me watch commentaries and until now my favourite is the one for Lulaby. Tim Minear and Mere Smith are great. And the worst one I saw was 'Billy', Bell and Minear didn't really know what to say sometimes. But they noticed it, so it was not embarrassing.
                                    Nina
                                    and her haircut.
                                    Last edited by Nina; 09-11-08, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                                      Everyone I see hates the commentary for 'Consequences' they think it puts them to sleep, but I love it. It's so soothing And I love hearing Conter's nice comments about how Sarah is like a daughter to him, a fun car ride he shared with Eliza and Sarah one night as they tried to follow directions and how what a professional actress Sarah is.
                                      My GOD I despise that commentary. I've watched it once and became incredibly restless and bored. I might rewatch it to make sure my opinion/ attention span hasn't changed in the intervening years but my god that was a snoozefest.

I always figured that the actors just really couldn't fit commentaries into their schedules and when they do it's a major pain in the butt for the organisers (eg. Iyari Limon missing the "The Killer in Me" commentary). It really pisses me off that the 'Wild at Heart' commentary with Seth, Joss and Marti is excluded from the Region 4 dvds. Grrrrr. I had problems watching the CWDP commentary because of the sheer amount of people in it. Keeping track of which voice belongs to who and trying to follow the story was a bit confuzzling. It definitely should've had fewer people.

Damn. now that I think about it I've missed a whole bunch of extras from R1. Damn them with their slightly different releases. Just go to here to see the exclusive Region stuff... It kinda pisses me off as a completist.

{tumblr}
                                      AKA nonbeliever93

Comment

There should have been more commentaries on Buffy, but I think Angel has very few.
                                        My favourite commentary is "Dirty Girls", "Lies my Parents Told me", and Conversations with Dead People.

Comment

Working...
                                        X