Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really bad fashion choices on the shows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really bad fashion choices on the shows.

BtVS and Ats showed some great styles, but sometimes it was awful. And especially in the case of a style icon like Cordelia it's dangerous. Before you know it; people try to copy her look;
    Natalie Imbruglia

So a thread to let people know, which clothes and haircuts are not done.
    Buffy's animal print clothes.
    8.96%
    Angel in velvet.
    3.73%
    Buffy's bangs in 'Amends'.
    9.70%
    Spike's blue shirt in season 7.
    8.21%
    Willow wearing Elmo.
    5.22%
    Cordelia's clothes while being pregnant. (let's blame Jasmine!)
    9.70%
    Cordelia's haircuts when it wasn't long and dark.
    11.19%
    Wesley's self knitted jumper.
    0.00%
    Darla's BtVS clothes.
    3.73%
    Angelus' dead animal under his nose in 'Amends'.
    11.19%
    Doyle's blouses.
    0.00%
    Angel wearing a yellow blouse.
    3.73%
    Willow and Tara wearing long dresses.
    2.24%
    Gunn's goatee.
    3.73%
    Angel's hair in the first half of season 5.
    5.97%
    Anya's pants in 'Grave'.
    0.00%
    Xander's hair in season 5.
    4.48%
    Lorne's clothes.
    0.75%
    It wasn't that bad!
    1.49%
    Of course, I forgot the most of the fashion crimes. Vote here if you remember another one.
    5.97%

Cordy's new shoes in season one (the ones that she's miffed Angel doesn't notice, but Doyle does). They are UGLY. I think Angel did notice them but was too horrified to say anything. The orange...my eyesssss!

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

And that's the first that I forgot and didn't put in the poll.

But those shoes were ugly, I clearly removed them out of my memory.

Comment

The show's apparently always had a bad rap for it's footwear. I thought it was always just my sister pointing out how ugly all their shoes were until I read an article on Btvs and it said something like "the show with horrible shoes." Ever since for some odd reason I've heard many fans or female friends comment on the apparent ugliness of the actors shoes. Weird.

For me it's the usual suspects, Cordy's hair when it wasn't long and dark, Spike's blue shirt, Buffy's fringe in 'Amends.' The things everybody apparently hates
        Last edited by vampmogs; 16-08-09, 06:21 AM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I was thinking about thoose shoes too. They are horrible!

Since I gavn't seen Buffy I went with Gunns goattee.
          It's. just. terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
            And that's the first that I forgot and didn't put in the poll.

But those shoes were ugly, I clearly removed them out of my memory.
            Sometimes, the human brain protects itself using selective memory, yes.

On the poll, I ticked Angelus's moustache. Aren't evil people supposed to be sexier and more stylish? Or is it just that they have better music?

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

I picked buffys animal print outfits.. there were sooo many.. and they were ALL just as horrible as the next!

Comment

I have to go with Spike's blue shirt. I don't mind the blue. Blue can be very nice when you're so blond and pretty and have such eyes. But why was it so short? And what's with the 3/4 sleeves? I blame it totally on poor Spike's madness. God knows where he got that "costume".

I also voted for Jasmine!Cordy's clothes (plain ugliness), Gunn's goatee (why on earth did such a handsome man like Gunn sport that thing?) and Tara's and Willow's dresses (those were just weird).
                sigpic
                banner by litzie avatar by diane

Comment

BUFFYS ANIMAL PRINTS!
                  I think while watching it and now still i tend to not notice untill someone points it out!

But one out fit that i cringe at remembering was Cordys red leather outfit when she went back to school after finding will and xander together... (when i remember the ep i'll post it) ooooh goosebumps its that bad!!

Comment

Aw man, i didn't know we could vote on more than one! Pooey! Well if i had voted on more than one then i wouldve also voted for Willows elmo shirt, Angelous' stouche, and buffys bangs!!!! And i also wouldve put in anya's bleach blonde hair whe she became a vengeance demon again.

Comment

Definately Spike's blue shirt it just didn't suit him at all, it was way too tight. I think he should stick to the long leather coat. I also thought Buffy looked weird with her fringe in Amends, it just didn't suit her and I found it really weird how it was there one week and gone the next. :S
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa Marie86 View Post
                        i wouldve also voted for Willows elmo shirt
                        Thank you, I was afraid that I was the only one who hated that top.

And I forgot something, The clothes Cordy wore when she came back from Mexico ... the white - whatever it was.

Comment

I also went for the animal print things...just ick.

And, honestly, I had no issue with Spike's blue shirt. Maybe it's because I have a very similar shirt...hmmm...sometimes we over-identify. This is the pitfall of Buffy fandom.
                          You've got to get behind the mule in the morning and plow.

www.myspace.com/brettknickerbocker

Comment

The most obvious probably goes unsaid: whatever they decided to put Xander in when they wanted him to look pathetic. They always succeeded in a big way.

Nicky was a good looking dude, it's really a shame they decided to gimp him so much season 3-5.

Comment

Anything in Amends. Good God, what was Sarah thinking? I rarely find her unattractive but...ugh! David's moustache looked terrible as well, and I hated his hair in the first half of season 5. I get that they were establishing a new identity for the show, but changing Angel's hair? Not necessary. It didn't suit David.

Also, the big glasses Buffy wears from seasons 1-2. Sometimes they're OK, the majority of the time, they just turned Sarah's beautiful face into an oversized fly.

Comment

I'd have to vote for the fuzzy purple coat Willow wore in "Once More With Feeling", with the furry-collared one from "Tough Love" as a close runner-up. Neither of those suited her at all. Of course, Willow's outfits took a lot of flak through the entire series, but I always felt that it was not only in-character, it was at least partially deliberate. I mean, here was a girl whose mother picked out her clothing until she was in high school (read: until she met Buffy and began "rebelling"). Seemed to me her terrible outfits were all about Willow trying styles at random without really having a clear idea what she was trying for other than to not be "softer-side-of-Sears" Willow.
                                Last edited by Rowan Hawthorn; 28-10-08, 12:57 PM. Reason: Fix mis-typing
                                "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

I thought Willow's outfits in earlier seasons were quirky and fun. I only stopped liking what she wore when she started dressing like Tara.. which is never, never a good thing.
                                  Last edited by vampmogs; 16-08-09, 06:23 AM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Oh, I thought most of Willow's outfits were quirky and fun, including most of the later ones. Nonetheless, they took lots of heat on-line - primarily, it began to appear, from people who thought she should be dressing like her "Halloween" costume. Which I certainly wouldn't have complained about, but it just wouldn't have been Willow.
                                    "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

Funnily enough I only chose three of those things, the first being Buffy's animal print clothes because they were just not pleasant, next was the creature under Angelus' nose in "Amends", that thing was cringe-worthy, I don't know what the make-up/wardrobe people were thinking, he kind of reminded me of the Beast in Beauty and the Beast with it, just less hairy and the last thing was Angel's yellow shirt in "Shiny Happy People", that was fugly.

Angel in Velvet - Not really necessary, but there are worse fabrics he could've chosen (polyblend anyone?) and I think it levelled well between evil and good, it was soft, but also kind of rigid.

Buffy's bangs in "Amends" - not my favourite look of Buffy, Season 3 saw her worse hair, in my opinion, but it was nice that she didn't have the same hair style for a year and the show reflected the experimentation that teenage girls tend to do with their hair, it's just a shame she never got into the dying.

Spike's blue shirt in season 7 - Not a favourite of mine, again, but to me it kind of represented that Spike was going to wear anything, Sane!Spike would, probably, never have worn it. Also, it's a tight shirt, so it probably appealed to some people.

Willow wearing Elmo - I either have no idea what that means or just don't remember it at all because it doesn't stand out as a fashion faux pas in my mind, unless I never noticed it or banished it from my head.

Cordelia's clothes while pregnant - I don't think they were that bad, although the only outfit she wore while pregnant that stands out in my head is the black dress thing that she ended up wearing from "Orpheus" all the way up to "Home". If that dress had been made to fit a non-pregnant person, I think it might've been okay.

Cordelia's haircuts when it wasn't long and dark - Semily (word?) agree with this, I think the cropped look when it was dyed blonde on top was horrible, but I quite liked her hair when she had it cut into the straight bob at the end of season 2 and the beginning of season 3.

Wesley's self knitted jumper - Not great, but it represented the whole "Head Boy" thing, up to then I think you were supposed to believe he had a good relationship with his family, so it kind of reflected the home-spun thing, as if his grandmother or somebody had knitted it.

Darla's BTVS clothes - Basically the school uniforms, yeah? They really weren't that bad, it was kind of interested to see this completely evil character dressed as a Catholic School Girl, that paired with the face make-up and the guns in "Angel", totally badass.

Doyle's blouses - Not a fan of these either, but like I said, I think they represented the image that was supposed to be projected that the Irish (and British) didn't really have much fashion sense and so just wore any old thing, that and they reflected his personality, in a way.

Willow and Tara wearing long dresses - Most prominently in "Once More, With Feeling", but I think the dresses gave the characters a sense of mythicism and mysticisim, they reflected their personalities, mostly and made them seem pretty gentle with the natural tones often used. That said, Willow's dress in "Tough Love" where she attacks Glory opposed this idea with the sense that she was a dark being, so they worked both ways.

Gunn's goatee - This clearly didn't bother me as much as it did some others, to me it didn't really stand out that much. For the first couple of episodes it was like "Oh, Gunn's got a goatee, that's a new look," but after that it kind of faded into the background.

Angel's hair in the first half of season 5 - Again, this didn't bother me, in fact I quite liked it, but I still preferred it shorter.

Anya's pants in "Grave" - I don't remember them, but after looking at a cap I don't see a problem with them. To me, they just look like ordinary grey trousers, the kind somebody might wear with a business suit. Unless that's the problem with them.

Xander's hair in season 5 - I didn't like it, it did make him look more mature though, but still I preferred it when he got it cut toward the end of the season.

Lorne's clothes - Completely loved his clothes, they were part of the character. Can you imagine Lorne turning up in a plain black suit or white suit, for that matter? I loved the way that colours chosen for the suits tended to clash with his skin tone, although I wasn't a fan of the blonde highlights whenever they came into it.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Willow wearing Elmo;

Not a great picture, but I forgot the episode and this was the only thing I could find while using google.

Comment

Working...
                                        X