Who's Best for Angel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Best for Angel?

Following in the footsteps of the "Who's Best for Spike?" thread, and purely for fun...

Who's best for Angel?

(Keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't forget any girl who got notable 'shippy interaction with him...)
    Buffy
    29.17%
    Cordelia
    52.78%
    Darla
    6.94%
    Nina
    5.56%
    Faith
    2.78%
    Fred
    0.00%
    Drusilla
    0.00%
    Gwen
    0.00%
    Male Character (Spike, Xander, etc.)
    1.39%
    Other
    1.39%
    Last edited by Enisy; 26-10-08, 10:56 PM.

(set made by Francy for me)

I liked Cordy with Angel. It was like they "grew up" together. I liked both characters more when they were with each other than at any other time.

That said, Angel-Spike bickering was...hot.
    "All I ask is that... that you try to see me."

Comment

Kate could have legitimately been included here. And Jhiera, since, y'know, they had such great chemistry

I voted for Nina, though. I like their dynamic in "Angel: After the Fall".
      sigpic
      Banner by LRae12

Comment

Honestly, I like every 'ship listed up there -- to varying extents, but I like them all nonetheless.

I think my top 5 for Angel is probably...

1) Angel/Darla
        2) Angel/Spike
        3) Angel/Faith
        4) *cough*Angel/Lindsey*cough*
        5) Angel/Buffy or Angel/Nina (the latter has been growing on me in Angel: After the Fall)

ETA: Ah, dammit, you're right, King. I should definitely have included Kate. I knew I was bound to forget someone.

Comment

I went with Cordelia. There is something about Angel/Cordelia that feels so natural and healthy. It's one of the only relations I still buy in the 'verse. I've to say that You're Welcome & ATF play a big role in that. The relation grew and developed in this strong bond that it's now. And Cordelia is the only person who could open up Angel without any problem. And I think that he needs that, so she is the best for him.

Funny thing is that I support almost every romance Angel had on the show. Except the Cordy/Angel one, but that was because it felt forced and it changed the characters to fit with eachother in season 3. But You're Welcome and ATF showed how well Angel & Cordy work when it's not forced.

Yeah, I ship Angel with every girl he had a romance or fling with (Buffy/Angel, Nina/Angel, Kate/Angel and post-season 4 Cordy/Angel) but also Angelus/Darla ... I'm a bad shipper.

If I had to say who would be best for Angel;

1. Cordelia
          2. Nina
          3. Kate
          4. Buffy
          5. Darla
          Last edited by Nina; 26-10-08, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
            Funny thing is that I support almost every romance Angel had on the show. Except the Cordy/Angel one, but that was because it felt forced and it changed the characters to fit with eachother in season 3. But You're Welcome and ATF showed how well Angel & Cordy work when it's not forced.
            Yeah, I agree. They didn't play to the 'ship's strengths in canon, for the most part. They tried to make it Big and Dramatic and Epic like Angel/Buffy, when Angel and Cordelia's dynamic wasn't even remotely geared towards that. You're Welcome and Angel: After the Fall proved how much better it works when they steer it in the other direction.

So, are we gonna make "Who's Best for Xander?" and "Who's Best for Wesley?" threads next? *bounces*

Comment

I voted for Cordelia, because I think they're just great together. Angel and Cordy really were there for each other, no matter what. They found comfort in each other, they didn't make each others life more difficult that it was already (with the apocalypse luring behind the corner all the time!). And they complemented each other wonderfully, what trait one lacked the other had. And the chemistry! They were so hot together!

And so cute, too:
              sigpic
              banner by litzie avatar by diane

Comment

I voted Cordelia. She is the only one I really can see Angel with in a serious realtionship. They bring out the best parts of eachother, and really seems honest.

I was really hoping for some Kate/Angel love in the beginning. And I can't deny that Faith/Angel would have been hot. But Cordy is the only one I can really see him with.

Comment

Although I love Angel/Darla, I don't think she's the "best for Angel" so I voted for Angel/Buffy. I never got into the Cordy relationship. I thought there was potential with Kate, though.

Comment

I went with the majority and voted for Cordelia, like everybody says there is just something completely natural about them being together, it's like they only had each other to depend on after Sunnydale, especially with Doyle's death and everything that happened to them individually. Like they said, they'd seen the best and worst in each other.
                    sigpic

Comment

I think none of them are good for Angel, but the closest is Nina - because he could have BOTH a physical relationship with her and they related to each other because of the monsters inside both of them. He couldn't do that with any of the other women because he'd lose his soul courtesy of the sex. Maybe that means he felt less for Nina, but maybe that's not such a bad thing. Too bad the ship wasn't executed very well in Season 5, but I don't think any of the other women are "good" for him at all.

Cordelia is more like a sister to Angel and them falling in love was forced and awkward, especially in the season 3 episodes. They just randomly spring the idea upon us in Offspring without a hint of subtlety. By the time the season finale rolled around, I just couldn't take Cordelia seriously when she was like "I'm in love.....with Angel! He has to know how I feel!" (LOL, Tomorrow is so unintentionally hilarious). It didn't feel natural to the characters or the actors. The only time they really worked in a romantic sense was in You're Welcome.

Of course him and Buffy are just bad news together. She would probably be the worst person for Angel despite the fact she's obviously the one Angel is the most in love with.

Comment

Originally posted by urbanlegend23 View Post
                        I think none of them are good for Angel, but the closest is Nina - because he could have BOTH a physical relationship with her and they related to each other because of the monsters inside both of them. He couldn't do that with any of the other women because he'd lose his soul courtesy of the sex. Maybe that means he felt less for Nina, but maybe that's not such a bad thing. Too bad the ship wasn't executed very well in Season 5, but I don't think any of the other women are "good" for him at all.
                        Technically, when he lost his soul in season 4 after (dreaming about) sleeping with Cordelia, he did say Buffy's name, so it's possible that he was thinking of her at the time, but when he had sex with Darla he didn't lose his soul, he felt like he had, but it was just an epiphany. And we never saw him have any other form of a sexual relationship with the others, but I think that, as we saw in season 5, he could have sex, just as long as he wasn't perfectly happy from that, so technically he could have sex with as many people as he wanted.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm confused? Is this a who's best for Angel in who do you like him with the most, or despite that who's the best person for his character? Bring out the best in him ect?

Because I have two different answers. Who I have enjoyed Angel with the most- Buffy, who's been the best for him, probably Cordy?

He was at his happiest with Buffy, he reached perfect happiness, something Wes claims is so statistically hard for anyone to do, so it really shows how content and happy Angel was being with her. But then- ironically that brought out the worst in him, *literally*, so that's a bummer

At the end of the day, Cordy was the best for him friendship wise in my opinion, it doesn't even have to be romantic and I prefer it when it isn't, for the majority of that ship it felt very uncomfortable and strange to me, and the ship never actually sailed off the ground, it lingered and then fell flat.. which was really odd. It’s as if they aborted the take-off when the plane was already on the run way.

But then, I found Angelus/Darla really great, I don’t even mind Angel/Nina either, so I like him with the majority of the people.

The only person I couldn’t really find enjoyable with Angel is Kate. I mean that just never worked for me, I don’t know why but I felt zero chemistry between them, what an odd pairing in my opinion, though it was obvious it was their initial intentions to give it a shot.

So yeah Buffy/Angel, their scenes together in 'I Will Remember You' were fantastic and showed how happy both characters would be if circumstances were right, and she's responsible for setting him on his path initially and in 'Amends' and he was the only character who got to see the single most life changing, important moment in her life, when she was called as a slayer.

So Buffy and Cordy work hand in hand, can't give one credit without giving the other a lot of credit. If it wasn't for Buffy, we wouldn't even have Angel as a hero, and she taught him a lesson in 'Amends' that if you notice, is basically the thing he lives by, and later passes on to Kate.. and if you've read 'After the Fall' .. Connor. So Buffy's responsible for kicking him off the ground and Cordy's responsible for maintaining the positive changes in his life.
                          Last edited by vampmogs; 27-10-08, 01:35 PM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                            I'm confused? Is this a who's best for Angel in who do you like him with the most, or despite that who's the best person for his character? Bring out the best in him ect?
                            I took it as who's best for him as a character, not our enjoyment. Because I personally agree with you: Buffy = most enjoyable and still held in my heart of hearts.

However, for Angel as a character, Cordy was the best for his growth.
                            You've got to get behind the mule in the morning and plow.

www.myspace.com/brettknickerbocker

Comment

Cordy all the way!!

Comment

Buffy. There could be no other choice for him, imo.

-Luc
                                sigpic

"If you're an Angel/Buffy fan, there's a big payoff," - Jeremy Atkins, Darkhorse

Comment

Buffy, by far.

Though, I would truly love to see Darla have a real chance at life; at least with... *spoiler for theimmortaljedi* you know who. Inside Out really showed a side of Darla I would love to see again. You know who's relationship with Darla is something that has a lot of potential left in it.

Cordy's saint-Cordy phase just left an awful taste in my mouth. So much that I preferred her in season 4. Post-Mexico was pretty cheesy. Unfortunately for the viewers, Charisma had a lot of problems with dramatic acting (the magic mirror in Tomorrow being the worst) and her romantic chemistry with David never quite clicked for me. It was forced without chemistry. Charisma's strength has always largely been comedy, which is why she was perfect and fantastic back in her bitchy cheerleader days. Her dramatic acting improved in You're Welcome, but she needed it before then. It's kind of moot now except for PTB-sponsored trips. Then again, Darla is also moot (but when has she ever stayed dead? LMAO.).

Also, a lot of Cordy/Angel was manipulation by Jasmine. And she did have a reason for it. It put the chess pieces in place by feeding into Cordy's sense of self-worth and kept Jasmine safe by making it even harder for Angel to off Cordy.

I think Angel loved Cordy, but it never got to the point where he was in love with her. They never got that far. And if Angel ever thought he was in love with Cordy (enough where the curse was a problem), he'd have to leave her the same way he left Buffy. I don't think either (without any manipulations by Jasmine) would ever consider risking a relationship under those conditions. It actually says a lot if neither thought that it would put Angel's soul at risk to have a theoretical relationship.

And honestly, I see Angel as possibly Buffy's last chance to turn herself around. He's someone she could really learn from right now--one of the few people left that she would actually listen to. They have a lot to talk about (Damage) and their story is still left hanging. Of course, if Angel gets out of *spoilery place* the same way he is now, one of the biggest hurdles of their relationship is gone.

The Angel/Spike/Buffy triangle is what should inevitably be the grand finale of the franchise, if it ever happens. It's only fitting. Or Joss could just take the easy way out and make them a m?nage ? trois.
                                  Last edited by NileQT87; 28-11-08, 11:13 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                                  "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Eh, Nile. I wanted to say just that, but you said it first, so I'll just write "see above".
                                    (That's majorly weird. First we have completely opposite opinions on politics, and then I keep finding myself agreing with to an extent it gets creepy. From one extreme to the other. )

I haven't read the comic books (yet), so I can't realy comment on what's going on, but the dialogue between Buffy and Angel when they part in Season 7 seemed to hint at a possible "reunion" one day. At least it sounded like the kind of thing that would lead up to it in a book or movie.
                                    From what spoilers I've had for ATF I guess that being together might have become possible for them now, and since they broke up (well, actually they never really broke up in the srict sense) because of the circumstances and not because they fell apart... I think they're still THE couple.

Of course, to quote the Mayor, "we have a Spike problem". Well, people who know me will expect me to say "threesome", which I'm saying right now.
                                    If Buffy were to decide, though, I tend to think it would be Angel, and I doubt Angel would give her up that easily, except if she made it clear to him that she had chosen someone else.

In the meantime, nothing wrong with Angel having a relationship with Nina, but since there clearly is no perfect happiness there, I'm fairly sure he is thinking of someone else he would rather be with (not that I necessarily think he categorises Nina under "convenient shag", mind you).

And as for Cordelia... it might have worked. Yet, as Nile mentioned before, we're not sure how much of that sudden love springing from friendship is Jasmine's "fault". And in the illusion Angel has just before the shaman takes his soul from him, do you remember which name it is he cries out even when being with Cordelia? It's "Buffy". So, it might have worked. They might have been fairly happy together. But Cordelia is not the one Angel truly loves, either.
                                    Sin is what I feast upon
                                    I'm forging my crematorium
                                    Your tomb is waiting here for you
                                    Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Originally posted by NileQT87 View Post
                                      The Angel/Spike/Buffy triangle is what should inevitably be the grand finale of the franchise, if it ever happens. It's only fitting. Or Joss could just take the easy way out and make them a m?nage ? trois.
                                      Agreed on both counts.

I would have loved to see more of the
                                      Spoiler:
                                      Darla-Angel-Connor family dynamic,
                                      too, but like Mere Smith said, they've already killed her three times; one of them's gotta take.

Comment

Buffy. It was his first love and Angel was hers. I really believe they are soulmates, despite the curse and the age difference. Buffy was also the reason Angel wanted to become a better man, and they had amazing chemistry.

Comment

Working...
                                        X