What If?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What If?

So what if Angel and Darla had had a a daughter called Caitlin and Buffy had had a brother called Dane?

How do you think the gender differences would've affected the dynamics of the shows and how do you think the storylines may have differed?
    sigpic

That would actually change a lot. You know I don't hate the idea, BtVS needed more male cast members and AtS needed more female cast members.

I think Buffy won't be as protective of a brother as she would a sister, but then how will a big sister/little brother bonding be. I think a brother would be the one protective of Buffy. Plus, I can see him having a crush on Anya (or drooling over the idea of Willow/Tara). He'll see Xander as a cool big brother before he finds Spike cooler (like Dawn having a crush on Xander before switching to Spike.) A brother would be less helpless than a sister. That's how it feels to me. I can also see him angrier with Spike's AR than Dawn was.

The Downer: We won't get a well structured episode like Real Me with Dawn writing her diaries. So we won't hear Buffy's brother thoughts on her and her friends unless they used inner monologue.

Angel having a daughter would spice things a bit. We'll see the word "champion" used for girls for a change. Angel wanting his daughter to be like him (I can see female Connor the second version of Faith, only messier) and thankfully, we won't have the father/son obsessing over one girl. So the Cordelia/Connor mess won't happen, hence no Jasmine, and maybe we'll get a better S4.

The Downer: There's something about the father/son relationship between Angel and Connor that I really love, and I don't think a daughter will sell it as well as male Connor did.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

I agree with almost everything Sosa lola said, only I do think that Dane could write in his diaries. I don't see why it couldn't be like the 'Real Me'.

The idea that Dawn would be a boy is one I like ... it would give Xander the guyfriend he wants. And I think that it would make the relation between Buffy and Dane much better.

The problem for me lays with the switch when Connor becomes a girl thing. It would change the stories indeed (sometimes for the best), but Connor is Angel's reflection ... Angel lives through Connor, he sees himself in Connor. And that would be less powerful if he had a daughter. And the father/son relation is something that I really love. I don't want to trade that one for a father/daughter relation.

I can see how Cordelia would love to have a Caitlin, she can make sure the girl would have the prettiest clothes and become the new cheerleader captain.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
        only I do think that Dane could write in his diaries. I don't see why it couldn't be like the 'Real Me'.
        But at the age of 14, I don't think it's considered "cool" for a boy to write diaries. I don't think I've ever met a boy who've written diaries, maybe a journal, and a very funny/witty journal. Maybe have Dane write entries in his live journal (were there live journals in year 2000?) Anyway, it'll make more sense if he wrote his thoughts on the internet. Just imagine the wit and jokes, I really love reading boys' entries, they're usually so much fun and less emotional.
        Made by Trickyboxes
        Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

I don't know ... maybe Dane is very feminine or they could've found another way of letting him talk about his feelings ... like you said a blog (if it was possible) or maybe he loves to talk out loud in his room?

Comment

Champion is hardly a masculinized concept in the Buffyverse -- Buffy herself is one, and is implicitly referred to as such in Angel 1.08 "I Will Remember You". Not to mention Angel's own assertion that Cordy is one.

For the reasons Sosa mentioned, Dawn as "Dane" would have been interesting -- the protective of Buffy, crushing on Anya, lusting over Willow/Tara stories, Xander's lil buddy. But she's also right that if "Dane" is out there trying to protect Buffy and generally get his Alpha on, he's a much harder key to protect.

Really, I think it's probably best off the way it is -- "Caitlyn" would basically have been a retread of Season 3 Faith, IMO.
            sigpic
            Banner by LRae12

Comment

Interesting thought. Dane instead of Dawn and Caitlin istead of Connor.

I think both ideas have possiblities. A little brother would act complitly different to a little sister. It would have been cool to see a brother/sister relationship. He would be consdently ticked that his sister has to protect him, but if it was a brother we wouldn't have the 'Have you borrowed my top' arguement or the 'Thats my guy not yours' thing in Him (remember the jacket worked on girls).

As for Angel have a daughter. I think in some aspects it would have been better, because Angel would constently be seeing Darla in her, and also he would want the closeness more (something tells me he'd want a daddys girl, which of course she wouldn't be). And I agree with everyone who says she would be a mini Faith. But then we wouldnt have no Jasmine (unless you switch to his daughter geting pregnant .. by who I don't know) and we wouldn't have the whole son and father lusting after the same girl.

So I guess Dawn and Connor are fine how they are. I think I'm one of the few Fans who don't hate them
              ANGEL: You just like stabbing me.

SPIKE: I?I'm shocked, SHOCKED that you'd say that. I much prefer hitting you with blunt instruments.

Comment

Angel having a daughter would have been really interesting. I agree with icegemz, Angel always seeing Darla in her. And the idea that she would been pregnant with jasmine is really good. Then we wouldn't have that waful Cordy getting evil thing. Wonder who the daddy would be. Gunn? Wes? Lindsay returning maybe?

Comment

I think we'd have had completely different stories. Dawn being Buffy's sister wasn't a random choice, nor was setting up a father-son dynamic for Angel. Those choices were driven by the stories the creators wanted to tell. Change them around and, of necessity, the stories would be very different.

In the case of Connor, that would probably be a good thing, but Dawn grows on one. Eventually.
                  Cordially,
                  Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                  Addicted to Buffy

Comment

I wanted to like Dawn. Michelle Trachenberg (sp?) is pretty and outside Buffyverse. Dawn was just an awful character though. A brother might have been more interesting.

If Angel had a daughter than Cordelia wouldn't have slept with Angel's kid... that already makes me happy =o. Angel really did need more female cast members. Overall I like this idea more than the first but both are great!

Comment

Really, I think it's probably best off the way it is -- "Caitlyn" would basically have been a retread of Season 3 Faith, IMO.
                      I was thinking she'd be more like a warrior, kind of like the First Slayer, kind of primal rather than Faith who's a bit wacky and psychotic.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well first I think that while either a male or female sibling would have worked in terms of Buffy no longer being isolated and having to act as a parental figure, it worked far more for the sibling to be a girl... Buffy's family has always been a feminine unit and retaining that theme is important. Having a male sibling would also have eroded most of the jealousy implicit in the early part of season 5.

The Connor question, well, the main argument seems to be that he wouldn't have had sex with Cordelia. No, but she probably would have had sex with Wesley. And I'm sorry, but there is nothing wrong with the Connor/not-Cordelia plotline, because it created some of the best drama on either show. It was not actually Cordelia, and Jasmine, both pre and during Gina Torres, is probably the best story on Angel.

Say what you will about Oedipus Rex, the idea of the father and son being in competition for the tribe with such antagonism that one is destined to kill the other is one of the most lasting Freudian theories and creates absolute goldmines of tension in season 4. Connor would have to be one of my favourite characters and a female version would have been - dare I say it? - in some ways tacky and the tension between her character and Angel's would have stumbled and fallen, when the very idea of Connor and the storylines of season 3 and 4 are so built around Connor's identity as a male.

Comment

Originally posted by Sosa lola View Post
                          But at the age of 14, I don't think it's considered "cool" for a boy to write diaries. I don't think I've ever met a boy who've written diaries, maybe a journal, and a very funny/witty journal. Maybe have Dane write entries in his live journal (were there live journals in year 2000?) Anyway, it'll make more sense if he wrote his thoughts on the internet. Just imagine the wit and jokes, I really love reading boys' entries, they're usually so much fun and less emotional.
                          Not considered cool, but there are boys who still do it. I had a diary when I was 14 (started it when I was 12), which I filled not only with things that bothered me, but also with concepts for stories and fanfic, loads of childish daydreams and a certain amount of smut. Of course I never admitted it openly, save to very few, because it was, as you say "not cool". But I did nonetheless.
                          And I know two more boys (young men by now) who still keep a diary regularly and have done so ever since their teenager days.

I can still see Buffy being protective of a younger brother. After all, she is protective of Xander as well, and even more than with Willow - I don't think it matters to her if he is male or female, she rather sees him as the most defenceless of the original Scoobies.

So I guess a boy in Dawn's place would work out just the same.

Yet a girl in Connor's would change things in my opinions, because of Connor's relationship towards the female characters (except if they all develop a lesbian streak, then it might work out ), and yes, there's the father-son thing of course.
                          Sin is what I feast upon
                          I'm forging my crematorium
                          Your tomb is waiting here for you
                          Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Working...
                          X