Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather jackets, scarfs, gloves, sweaters!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather jackets, scarfs, gloves, sweaters!!!

Buffy is filmed in california am i correct? I am rewatching buffy season 5, my boyfriend was sick and we decided buffyathon would get him caught up on the series and something is really starting to bother me. It always bothered me before, but i seem to be super aware of it now. How come everyone always wears coats, jackets, scarfs, gloves?? It's southern california, it's close to the equator! In Bloodties Dawn and Spike are in dawn's backyard talking and you can even see thier breath! Now earlier in the series (in season two i believe) it does mention how hot it is by having Buffy say that there is nothing like a roaring fire to keep out the blistering heat, and then joyce asks if she should turn on the AC. I just don't get that part of the show. If you notice you never see the scoobies in shorts, they are always fully dressed, ecspecially in coats. Has anyone else noticed this? How come the producers weren't like "hey whats with all these winter clothes its suppose to be hot remember??"

southern california is nowhere near the equator (i live in san diego). and the show takes place in september through may... making the middle of most of the seasons in the winter.

and yes, it does occasionally get nippy in so.cal... so.cal is more or less mild weather--neither extremely hot or extremely cold. people do own jackets and scarves here. also, i can't blame them in january at night. brrr. you also have to remember that we get a pretty constant coastal breeze near the coast.

and the months where temperatures go from 80?F-100?F are generally in the months when t.v. shows do not air. i would guess that the 70?s are pretty average, with lows (as of late, breaking records--southern california has been playing freeze-out in the winters the last few years) that do need bulky jackets, scarves and a lot of layered flannel pajamas and scarves if your house doesn't have a heater (i speak from experience).

as a person who lives here, i think the fashion on btvs and ats was actually accurate. i've seen tons of girls wearing hoodies in the summer.
    Last edited by NileQT87; 13-09-08, 08:51 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
    "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

And vampires don't have any body warmth, Angel wears what he likes to wear ... summer or winter, the same for Spike. It explains why Angel walks around in a coat while the others are walking in just a shirt.

Comment

Leathers for heavy muppets ya wankers, its shit like this that makes me go ****in bush ya ****s im sick othis ****in shit ya poofters, **** yeez aw

Comment

A ****en hate jackets

Comment

I think we can all just ignore the last two retarded posts.

As for all the coats in the shows, yeah it's a tad unrealistic. But then again, coats and other winterwear tend to look nicer than shorts or other practical clothes and on TV traditionally it's more common to make your characters wear clothes that look good. As opposed to shorts and t-shirts which are more practical, but look pretty shabby.

And like others have said, vampires have no body heat so they can wear whatever they want.

Comment

Actually, thinking about it now, I feel like they wore a lot more sunny weather clothes in the first few seasons - specifically I'm thinking of buffy in those tiny dresses and high boots. Maybe if it was a conscious decision, it was a representation of how the show took a darker turn in the later seasons? Winter clothes generally being darker as well as heavier...(and ok, that's a bit of reaching, but still)
              sigpic

http://buffysmom.wordpress.com/

Comment

I don't mind the coats, what I find hard is the amount of them they have. I think it was in Once More with Feeling Buffy wore 3 different coats during the course of that episode and only a salary from Double Meat Palace.. I think I should quit my job and go work there!!

I do know that places like San Diego can get pretty chilly in the winter, especially as they often are shooting late into the night. Plus they most shot during the autumn to spring and have the summer off so they aren't shooting the full heat of summer.

Comment

Yeah, they do totally get chilly! And you have to keep in mind that a lot of people who live in warmer climates tend to get colder at temperatures that wouldn't bother the rest of us. My best friend lived in San Diego for several years and she said that anytime it fell beneath 70 degrees F that she felt like she was freezing. And I guess that makes sense if you get used to things being the 85 all the time!
                  sigpic
                  follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

southern california is nowhere near the equator (i live in san diego). and the show takes place in september through may... making the middle of most of the seasons in the winter.

and yes, it does occasionally get nippy in so.cal... so.cal is more or less mild weather--neither extremely hot or extremely cold. people do own jackets and scarves here. also, i can't blame them in january at night. brrr. you also have to remember that we get a pretty constant coastal breeze near the coast.

and the months were temperatures go from 80?F-100?F are generally in the months when t.v. shows do not air. i would guess that the 70?s are pretty average, with lows (as of late, breaking records--southern california has been playing freeze-out in the winters the last few years) that do need bulky jackets, scarves and a lot of layered flannel pajamas and scarves if your house doesn't have a heater (i speak from experience).

as a person who lives here, i think the fashion on btvs and ats was actually accurate. i've seen tons of girls wearing hoodies in the summer.
                    Thank you for clearing that up for me nileqt!! I just figured southern california = HOT HOT HOT!! Well i guess that just goes to show how much ive traveled.

I don't mind the coats, what I find hard is the amount of them they have. I think it was in Once More with Feeling Buffy wore 3 different coats during the course of that episode and only a salary from Double Meat Palace.. I think I should quit my job and go work there!!
                    Exactly!!!! I was wondering the same thing! in bloodties she had worn several different coats. I dont know about any of you, i have two actuall coats and then maybe a few lighter sweaters that might even be considered hoodies. But i am glad that i'm not the only one who has noticed this.

Comment

Couldn't the time of day also be a factor as to why they're wearing all of those things? I mean, most of the time we saw them wearing jackets and gloves and scarves was late at night when they were patrolling and surely the temperature will drop at night?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                        Couldn't the time of day also be a factor as to why they're wearing all of those things? I mean, most of the time we saw them wearing jackets and gloves and scarves was late at night when they were patrolling and surely the temperature will drop at night?
                        Yup agreed, besides you can see how cold the air is when they talk sometimes and you can see their breath. The show's filmed in LA which proves that it's more realistic to have the characters dressing to fit the climate than it would be to pretend it's *always* sunny and warm in California.

I remember once hearing how 'The OC' sells the climate of California to help set the tone of the show, but in real life the actors were freezing in their bikin's on set during nightime filming at one of their beach parties, proving once again it does get cold in California, despite what television tries to tell us

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Spoiler:
                          as someone who lives here... i can assure you that i have frozen my ass off many times at night outside. the only way to survive the beach at night is to build a toasty bonfire or wrap yourself up like the poncho version of an eskimo.

granted--i've felt colder. the eagle's nest (with snow) in bavaria, germany in april was certainly colder. anything colder and i just don't do it.

jumping in the pacific ocean in january at night (or actually about a month or so before)? i feel really sorry for david and sarah in surprise. that was obviously a real dock.

and yes... it does get cold enough in california in the winter to see your breath at night. those jackets weren't just for appearance. they were to make the actors feel a bit cozier while having to be up all night.

and you also have to remember that we don't get a lot of humidity, so even our hot summers aren't as hot as say... the american southeast, where sweat pools at your feet and it feels 110 degrees instead of 100. californians are cursed with chapped lips and dry santa ana winds. luckily, we also have that cool coastal breeze. san diego and los angeles are fairly identical, weather-wise (a 2-hour drive).

and we do get snow in our mountains... places like julian and big bear lake being famous touristy examples. we even get occasional pebble and rock-sized hail. the last 2 winters in san diego actually broke or rivaled record cold temperatures from the last century. i think it went as low as 30-something degrees. the last 2 years i've spent the winter in 2 pairs of flannel pajama pants, a sweater, 2 flannel nightgowns, thick socks and a scarf. san diegans freak out when the weather is 30 degrees.

believe me when i say that southern california CAN get cold, even though we are known for our pleasant, consistently mild weather year-round.

the t.v. likes to sell a lot of stories about our perfect warm weather. i lived on a sailboat for about 2 months in the winter... it wasn't the sahara. you go out on the water in the winter months and you do need a nice, thick jacket. it also gets really foggy sometimes when there is a lot of moisture in the air.

the average weather in the spring/fall is in the 70s, i'd guess. 70s-90s in the summer with maybe a week that hits 100 (completely stick-dry humidity, however--the kind that ends up creating fuel for huge wildfires). 30s-70s for the winter (up in the 80s if we are having a freaky hot spell--like the one in amends). it gets down to about 50s-60s at night usually.

ah, yes. wildfires. the last two were burning up neighborhoods up and down the state in 2003 and 2007. usually, one is caused naturally and then some dickheads start a bunch of copycat arson fires. my entire backyard got burned up in 2003. the firefighters were in our backyard and saved our house as the fire rampaged through the canyon and came up and around our pool (which probably saved the house). there was a singe spot on our roof.

san diego and los angeles are pretty identical. both near the water. places like ojai (you hear about that hippie town a few times in ats--guise will be guise mentions it), however tend to be hotter, because it is far more inland. there is a lot of dry brush and dirt. california is really sprawled out except for downtown los angeles and san francisco. you can drive for hours and see nothing more than car repair shops, fast food, denny's, mexican food, shopping centers and dirt mountains with a few dry shrubs. you go east and it turns into heat, cactus and desert--more like arizona.

you head east, and you're heading into the wild west full of horses and farms. and the occasionally hippie town (ojai) full of vegans and overpriced health food stores with people who have actually lived in tepee communities (my half-mother-in-law).

what you see in the O.C. is only a tiny segment of glorified beach-front california with palm trees and probably green lawns. ats is pretty honest about los angeles, at least. the segments of suburbanite sunnydale were very so.cal. the craftsman houses in particular.

the gorgeous ready-for-t.v. schools sure don't look like the neighborhood ones around here (my town is very '70s-'80s--the public library is done in orange and brown!), but it worked as being very iconic. most schools around here seem to be the outdoors kind with a bunch of boxy separated buildings that you walk to. none of those beautiful indoor schools with the epic fa?ades. you'd probably never see a boxy, little bungalow classroom in a movie or t.v. series.

the thing that always pissed me off is that the summers residence has a basement. almost nobody has a basement in southern californian cookie-cutter suburbanite houses. that almost seemed wishful thinking by the set designers.
                          Last edited by NileQT87; 13-09-08, 01:55 PM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                          "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

I loved Buffy's coats and leather jackets! I am a leather jacket 'ho! But I come by it honestly - my DAD loves leather jackets!

But especially her red coat and the mustard yellow one that she got grass stains all over in her romp with Spike!

I sure would like to get my hands on some of those leather jackets...
                            -TP<3
                            "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                            - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

I have always found the wearing of coats in this show hysterically funny because I live in Minnesota and when people in CA talk about their 'cold' temps, those are temps that we run around in wearing shorts. I always loved Buffy's coats because I have tons of them for the lovely -30 surface temps we get here in the winter. My favorite was the long cow print coat she wore later in the show, although I cannot remember the episode. (As I refer to it, her 'moo cow' coat)

Oh, my 100th post! Woo hoo!

::Shadow of Reflection::
                              NOW CAPPING YOUR FAVORITE TV SHOWS AND MOVIES!!! See them HERE...

Comment

Now i wont lie. I have fantisized over a few of her coats. Her red leather one exactly! Or the torquise jacket she wore in the earlier seasons. But there are a few that were quite hiliarous an example being her "moo moo" coat or any of her leopard print coats. I love the long coats she wears. The ones that come down to her knees, i think it makes her look classy. ( not that shes not already classy.. you know what i mean)
                                Last edited by Theresa Marie86; 14-09-08, 06:00 AM.

Comment

I love the black coat she gets from Angel in the first season.

Joss
                                  Fire bad tree pretty

Comment

What happens to that one later on?

Buffy already seems to have a huge variety of clothing when she is still at school... does her mother buy her all of this?
                                    Sin is what I feast upon
                                    I'm forging my crematorium
                                    Your tomb is waiting here for you
                                    Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

*hee* Why do you think she was left with bugger all money when Joyce died?

The amount that family must have spent on clothes would have drained anyones resources....

Comment

Instead of paying child maintenance, her father just set up an unlimited credit account for her at Nieman Marcus.

Comment

Working...
                                        X