Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question re: viewing order (total newbie).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re: viewing order (total newbie).

Hey guys, first post. Whee.

I have a question, and apologies in advance if it's already been answered in some grand general FAQ thread that I didn't see when I was scanning the forum.

So I'm pretty much a newbie in all things related to the Buffyverse. Never really caught more than a few episodes of Buffy or Angel back in their heyday. I did get to be a pretty big browncoat, but that's besides the point. Anyway, after watching the most excellent Dr. Horrible, I kind of got the craving for more Whendonisms. After re-watching Firefly and Serenity, I hadn't had enough, so I decided to go to the motherload, Buffy.

I'm experiencing the show for the first time here, which is cool. So far, I've watched up through season 3 and enjoyed every minute of it. Now I'm up to the series split, and I'm not quite sure which direction I should be going.

I haven't touched season 4 quite yet. Past few days I've watched the first handful of episodes from the first season of Angel. My question is, is there a correct order I should watch things in, regarding the two shows? I'm up to "I Will Remember You" in the Angel series, and I've gathered that it ties in pretty close with the corresponding Buffy S4 episode. I'm not sure if I should wait and watch up to that point in Buffy first, or if I can just roll along with the first season of Angel without screwing too many things up for myself. Is there a suggested episode order I should follow between the two, or does it not really matter?

Anyway, thanks for the help, guys!

There are two crossover eps in S4 Buffy/S1 Angel. I think they are pretty easy to follow even if you haven't seen the other side of the ep, if you know what I mean. But you could always watch a disc of Buffy and then a disc of Angel and just sort of go on like that. After these seasons though, there aren't really anymore crossover eps. Well, there are...but the stories aren't as interconnected as they are in these seasons.
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Truly I think each season is best watched separately because storylines flow within each show rather than between the shows.

There are two notable examples:
      Who Are You (buffy) /Five by Five (angel) & Sanctuary (angel)
      Fool For Love (buffy) /Darla (angel)
      Follow the order listed for maximum story impact and metaphoric parallels.

And to much a lesser extent, the S5/S2 finales:
      The Gift (buffy) /There is no place like Plrtz Glrb (angel)
      Where the last scene of the Angel episode makes silent reference to events of the Buffy episode. Though if you did watch the Angel episode first it wouldn't really ruin anything.

I think you can watch all of Buffy without being spoiled on Angel. If you so choose.

As for preference, I enjoyed Angel the Series overall far more than Buffy S4-7.

The main forum site has all air dates listed at the top of each episode transcript.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

I would say that it doesn't matter either way. Except if you haven't seen past S3 of Buffy, then a major Buffy plotline is given away at the end of one of the Angel seasons which would spoil that corresponding Buffy season finale for you - and it's not one that you'd want to be spoiled about beforehand!

However, both series can be enjoyed without having to watch the other - even with the few crossovers.

Personally, I prefer to watch a series at a time (i.e. Buffy seasons 1-7, then Angel seasons 1-5 or vice versa) but have done as JenniLou suggested and watched them both at the same time - I found that it was a bit distracting jumping from one story to another all the time though.

That aside, welcome to the world of Buffy and Angel. It's quite a ride! I'm so totally jealous of you discovering these fantastic shows for the first time and look forward to hearing your comments as you see more!
        sigpic

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
          I think you can watch all of Buffy without being spoiled on Angel. If you so choose.
          The exception that comes to mind is "Dirty Girls", which does give away a bit of Angel's corresponding mid-season arc. In general, it's probably nicer to watch Angel season 4 before Buffy season 7.

Comment

The exception that comes to mind is "Dirty Girls", which does give away a bit of Angel's corresponding mid-season arc.
            Yeah, I had considered that. As well as a few other moments along the way. Sadly, there's no trend to prevent complete spoilage. Only way to protect against that is to watch the episodes as they aired.

However, I think for the most part, you get maximum impact out of each show by watching a season as a whole rather than going back and forth between the two.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
              However, I think for the most part, you get maximum impact out of each show by watching a season as a whole rather than going back and forth between the two.
              Definitely. So, if we combine all that,
              • Buffy 1-4
              • Angel 1
              • Buffy 5
              • Angel 2
              • Buffy 6
              • Angel 3-4
              • Buffy 7
              • Angel 5

would perhaps be a good compromise?

Comment

yeah, DEFINITELY watch season 4 ats before season 7 btvs.

for quite a few reasons (namely faith's plot comments, fred's call to willow and the amulet).

though fool for love/darla make a good watch together... and you'd get more out of crush if you watch it after redefinition.
                Last edited by NileQT87; 19-08-08, 02:18 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

This is an episode list I got off another site that I'm currently following with my rewatch with my boyfriend. This only lists Season 4 of Buffy/Season 1 of Angel:

BtVS-- The Freshman 401
                  AtS--City of 101
                  AtS--Lonely Heart 102
                  BtVS--Living Conditions 402
                  BtVS--The Harsh Light of Day 403 LEADS INTO
                  AtS--In the Dark 103
                  AtS--I fall to pieces 104
                  BtVS--Fear,Itself 404
                  BtVS--Beer Bad 405
                  BtVS--Wild at Heart 406
                  BtVS--The Initiative 407
                  AtS--RM W/A VU 105
                  AtS--Sense and Sensitivity 106
                  AtS --The Bachelor Party 107 LEADS INTO
                  BtVS --Pangs 408 LEADS INTO
                  AtS --I Will Remember you 108
                  BtVS -- Something Blue 409
                  BtVS -- Hush 410
                  BtVS -- Doomed 411
                  AtS -- Hero 109
                  AtS -- Parting Gifts 110
                  AtS -- Somnamulist 111
                  BtVS -- A New Man 412
                  AtS -- Expecting 112
                  AtS -- She 113
                  BtVS -- The I in Team 413
                  BtVS -- Goodbye Iowa 414
                  AtS -- I’ve Got you under my Skin 114
                  AtS -- The Prodigal 115
                  BtVS --This Year’s Girl 415
                  BtVS -- Who Are You 416
                  BtVS -- Superstar 417
                  AtS -- The Ring 116
                  AtS -- Eternity 117
                  BtVS -- Where the Wild Things Are 418
                  BtVS -- New Moon Rising 419
                  AtS -- Five by Five 118
                  AtS -- Sanctuary 119 LEADS INTO
                  BtVS -- The Yoko Factor 420
                  BtVS -- Primeval 421
                  BtVS -- Restless 422
                  AtS -- War Zone 120
                  AtS -- Blind Date 121
                  AtS -- To Shanshu in LA 122
                  Movies I've seen this year: http://www.listsofbests.com/list/54273
                  Movies I own: http://bluelove.dvdaf.com/owned

Comment

Here's a pretty good website as well which goes into detail about how to watch Buffy and Angel chronologically:

http://www.simonhampel.com/buffy.html
                    -TP<3
                    "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                    - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

The only real problems come in season four of Ats and season 7 of Btvs. Where the orders become a tad muddled, if I remember right the discs don't correspond at all.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Honestly, I'd recomend just sitting down and watching all of Buffy, then all of Angel.

Yes, there are some slight crossovers between the shows but each show can be watched purely on it's own merit. You'll find certain scenes more "enriching" when you understand what's happening in the other show, but you'll get that anyway when you get to that scene in the other show. It's not a big deal and both shows stand on their own.

Honestly, don't worry about changing discs just so that you can watch certain events chronologicly. The shows will "flow" much better if you just watch seasons 1 through seven of Buffy, then 1 through 5 of Angel.

Angel's a great show and it should be enjoyed as such. It shouldn't be a chore just so that you can catch all the Buffy references. The crossovers are few and far between, and you'll remember the "events" when you get to them. That's my recomendation for first-time viewers anyway.

Comment

Prior to my current trip through the shows, I'd always watched all of Buffy then all of Angel. This time, though, in watching them all with a friend who's never seen any of them, we're going back and forth, usually an episode at a time, more or less as broadcast (made easier by my multi-disc DVD player). We have made exceptions, especially for multipart season finales since we can only watch 3 or 4 a week and those are best watched all together.

Suffice it to say we've really enjoyed watching them this way. Most of the time it doesn't really matter, though it's occasionally interesting to see how similar themes are handled, but the handful of crossovers have a lot more impact when watched as broadcast. So I recommend that approach even though it's more trouble than just watching all of a disc or season of one before switching. I don't think I'm likely to watch them any other way from here on out.
                          Cordially,
                          Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                          Addicted to Buffy

Comment

here are all the air dates, in case you would like to go by that:

http://epguides.com/BuffytheVampireSlayer/
                            http://epguides.com/Angel/

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                            "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys! I've been hopping back and forth a bit... watching the Angel season mostly, but I just stopped before Five By Five so I could get up through the relevant bits in Buffy.

Comment

Rather than studying episode lists and air dates, for season 4 of Buffy/Season 1 of Angel and season 5 Buffy/Season 2 Angel it's really simple:

Watch the Buffy episode at 8.00 pm on a Tuesday, and watch the Angel episode with the same number at 9.00pm the same evening.

That will give you the authentic "first time viewer" experience just as the writers intended.

It gets more confusing in later seasons because the shows were on different networks, and the timings didn't always match up so well.

Comment

I'm in the same position as the original poster so this thread has been excellent for me as well. Thanks to all of you who contributed - nice to find one of the rare forums where people are so helpful!

Comment

I actually wondered that but I think it?s okay to watch Buffy as a whole without Angel. And since I know what happens on both shows, it?s okay. The only time I do a crossover is in Pangs - I Will Remember you and Who are you - Five by Five and Sanctuary. But even if we don?t watch both of them together, it?s no biggie.

It?s great to see that still today, people are still discovering Buffy.

Comment

Working...
                                    X