James Marsters Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Marsters Interview

A recent interview has been put online of James Marters here: http://www.whedon.info/James-Marster...e-Dwscifi.html I've posted the Buffy-based questions and answers. I am really surprised and kinda angry at some of his comments... But I'll go into full below.

How was the Buffy reunion at the Paley Center, when you were on stage with Joss Whedon, Sarah Michelle Gellar and other Buffy cast and writers?

From my side, it was kind of a letdown ? there were good questions, but we didn't say anything really dangerous. Well, Seth [Green] did. I felt like we were trying to protect something. I felt like the audience was ready, but we weren't.

How did you feel about not being a Big Bad on Buffy?

I was really, really, really mad about not being a Big Bad. [Marsters found out that as a regular, Spike was supposed to be pathetic.] But you guys like watching me get humiliated. I decided to suffer as beautifully as I could, with dignity.

How did you feel about the end of Buffy as a series?

The end of that show was not about Spike, it was about the Potentials. I would have liked the Potentials not to have been on the show. Lovely women, but I would have liked [Spike] to have chosen to sacrifice himself.

Would you rather do a Buffy/Spike movie or a Spike/Drusilla movie?

I had this idea [for a Spike movie] for Spike in London. We never saw Spike proactively say, ?I want that' ? he's a loser, he should want something very small. He tries to date a new woman and tries to keep her from finding out he's a vampire ? I think it would be hilarious. She finds out he's a vamp, is disgusted [and leaves him]. He tries to fight a monster ? it blows up to six times as big as he thought it was. He runs away saying, ?I need a witch, I need a librarian ?' He does get a new pair of boots at the end.

If Spike and Angel were hanging from a cliff and Xander could only save one, who would he save?

Spike, ?cause he's a little lighter. I think Xander would ask, ?Do I have to save either?'

What do you think of Spike in the new Angel Season Six comics?

I haven't read the comics, but I'm very afraid of this. I don't have to re-enact the character [for the comics], but I feel like [Spike is] my character, too.

His comment about the Potentials REALLY REALLY bugged me. So rather then potentials we would have gotten 12 episodes of Spike story, I mean season 7 was pretty full of the character to begin with (and I will say I did enjoy a few of them) and for him to bring that up just... I dunno it annoys me so...

Spike got about 30-40% of the season, which is alot for a series with 6 regulars and about 10 recurring characters...

And not being a big bad? Well... Was he that surprised? It seems like James had some issues with where the story went for Spike, but Buffy kinda gave him his entire fanbase (or most of it). If he didn't like where the story was going why didn't he leave? He got a full circle with his character and if he hadn't returned in Angel I would say it was a perfect end to his character

Meh, maybe I'm just taking this the wrong way maybe I am reading between the lines wrong, but from what I see James didn't seem to happy about the way Spike went which is pretty funny since he had so much story for a character that wasn't supose to return after season 2.

He does seem kind of attention-whorish, doesn't he? I always got the impression that there was actually too much Spike throughout seasons 6 and 7. I mean, not that I don't like the character, and I love season 6, but for a character who came in during the second season of the show as a recurring character to take over the last two seasons is pretty huge. The worst comment for me is, "I would have liked the Potentials not to have been on the show." Okay, I'm sure many of us agree, but we seem to mostly base our opinion on the fact that the Potentials were a poorly-written plot idea, not on our desire for there to be more Spike scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePoet's<3
      Well - I'm a Spike/James fan so I will of course be biased. I would have LOVED to have had more Spike! And no - I have never liked the story of the Potentials. Even now in Season 8 I'm hoping more and more will be eaten, blown up, etc. so we can get to the real story of "One Last Slayer Standing".
      I loved the Potentials and the story line of all these girls and the lives some of them lived. We get great characters outta it like Vi, Rona and Molly (and I very much like comic Kennedy, so I'll add her too).
      But now I think Joss is poorly trying to back track kinda forgetting about Fray and the future he already set... and I dunno, it bugs me that he is just killing them all off one by one it seems (though this is all off topic... but I like to rant)

Unless he meant he wanted the Q&A to go like his convention Q&A's. And with Sarah there - ain't happenin'.
      I really don't know why he was surprised at what happend, outta all the cast memebers people would want most outta Sarah, from what I know she has made like the least (if any) convention appearances while others (like James) have made many...

does he forget the series was called Buffy the Vampire Slayer? And not... Spike...

As for the comic, I think it would very cool to see more actors put their own hands on it, I mean on set James is able to kinda change the character as he goes and move the way he wants, and I'm sure EVERY comic writer on both Buffy and Angel would love to have an actor talk about the character. Imagine how much more depth we'd get, even if the actor talked to the artist, we'd get even more smoother movement and alot more character feel.

Comment

Wow. James Marsters is kind of a bitch.

I mean really? Nagging at the potentials because it took away Spike time? Did they use someone else for Spike in Season 7 and that is why James doesn't remember that it was 45% about HIM? I mean really, Xander/Dawn/Giles get shafted and he complains that the Potentials took away his screen time? What a douche.

Also, what does he mean that he wishes that Spike chose to sacrifice himself? Last I checked when I watched Chosen, Buffy tried to get him to not sacrifice himself, but Spike chose to. It's not like Rona or Vi forced him to stay down there. Was there a deleted scene that I missed?

Wow. I really hope that this is just mis-quoted because James always seemed like a cool guy, I'd hate to think that he is just THAT full of himself.

...and people call SMG a bitch ...
        Love to write? Take the Fanfic Challenge!

Unapologetic Mockers: BACK WITH AN ALL NEW LAYOUT!

Comment

You do all realise that the above 'interview' was in fact cobbled together from a Q & A session at a recent convention?

Also I have to say I agree with him when it comes to the potentials. I've always hated their inclusion in season 7.

Originally posted by EndersWrath View Post
          Wow. James Marsters is kind of a bitch.
          I know character bashing is allowed on this forum, but does that extend to real life actors? You may disagree with what they believe (I often disagree with what both JM and other actors believe all the time), but is calling someone a bitch acceptable on here? Could you not have expressed your displeasure using less emotive words?

Wow. I really hope that this is just mis-quoted because James always seemed like a cool guy, I'd hate to think that he is just THAT full of himself.

Well I've met the silly wee devil many, many times, and If you've ever met him you'd know he's far from being 'full of himself'. Infact he's been known to be self critical in the extreme. At cons he's always been extremely kind and attentive to his fans. Thats not to say he doesn't have a 'bad day', all people do. It's just I'd be very wary of jumping on one cobbled together report to judge what the man is really like.
          sueworld
          Banned
          Last edited by sueworld; 13-07-08, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I know character bashing is allowed on this forum, but does that extend to real life actors?
            I'm not sure but it probably shouldn't be. I know it's not tolerated on the Fuselage for LOST actors.

I will take it as a reminder also Sue and adjust my comments. I'm in agreement that such "shtuff" should be kept to the LJ's and such.
            -TP<3
            "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
            - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Originally posted by sueworld View Post
              You do all realise that the above 'interview' was in fact cobbled together from a Q & A session at a recent convention?

Also I have to say I agree with him when it comes to the potentials. I've always hated their inclusion in season 7.

I know character bashing is allowed on this forum, but does that extend to real life actors? You may disagree with what they believe (I often disagree with what both JM and other actors believe all the time), but is calling someone a bitch acceptable on here? Could you not have expressed your displeasure using less emotive words?

Well I've met the silly wee devil many, many times, and If you've ever met him you'd know he's far from being 'full of himself'. Infact he's been known to be self critical in the extreme. At cons he's always been extremely kind and attentive to his fans. Thats not to say he doesn't have a 'bad day', all people do. It's just I'd be very wary of jumping on one cobbled together report to judge what the man is really like.
              I do realize that, DigitalLeonardo even put it in when he posted it.

Originally posted by DigitalLeonardo
              I've posted the Buffy-based questions and answers.
              It was actually a joke from the show 'The Office', I didn't expect many people to get it but whatever. I wasn't gonna change words just to make it seem 'less harsh'.

Where is all this love for actors when it comes to SMG? I mean people are always bad mouthing her, but no one ever mentions that whenever a rude thing is said about her. Funny how that works.

Not to be devils advocate here, but the guy is an actor right? What is it that actors do? Right! Act. So he could really be like anything, we don't really know and probably never will. It's just kinda strange that such a self critiqued and down to earth actor would suddenly out of the blue say stuff like that.

I was never a huge fan of the potentials storyline myself, I mean it would have been better if they were like cut in half, but I wouldn't ever say that I didn't like them because it took screen time away from poor Spikey. Why not the characters that didn't actually get that much screen time but have been there from the very begining? I know Giles wasn't a main character in Season 7, but c'mon, the man deserved a bit more than he got. Lets not even get started on Xander, because that is just a thread within itself.

Originally posted by ThePoet's<3 View Post
              I'm not sure but it probably shouldn't be. I know it's not tolerated on the Fuselage for LOST actors.

I will take it as a reminder also Sue and adjust my comments. I'm in agreement that such "shtuff" should be kept to the LJ's and such.
              Well thank god we're on Buffyforums and not The Fuselage. LOST forums are so vicious

I just think its sad that people will just pull at strings to defend JM, where if this were another actor, pitchforks may have gotten out. I mean JM saying that Spike should have gotten more time, is like SMG saying that Buffy wasn't in enough scenes.

I think JM is a really cool guy, I have seen some stuff on YouTube with him, and always thought he was pretty chill... but this, this is just sad. I'm not a fan of Spike and have never hid that fact, but I do know how to distinguish between Actor and Character, which is why I have never let my hate of Spike get into my way of liking JM, because I have liked him in his other roles (such as Brainiac on SV).
              Love to write? Take the Fanfic Challenge!

Unapologetic Mockers: BACK WITH AN ALL NEW LAYOUT!

Comment

Originally posted by EndersWrath View Post
                Where is all this love for actors when it comes to SMG? I mean people are always bad mouthing her, but no one ever mentions that whenever a rude thing is said about her. Funny how that works.
                Was going to keep my mouth shut... but just had to say that. Especially considering there was an actual *thread* on this site, dedicated to "what's up with SMG?" If that's allowed, a jokey "bitch" comment is most certainly allowed. Double standards much?

But really could the interview just have been taken out of context? It did seem like he was a little grouchy but was it made more blunt just to be smaller and more digestible for those who don't want to read pages and pages?

Whilst I agree that the potential's plot turned out badly, I don't agree like the rest of you about how James wanted them gone for more Spike time. I thought that was pretty bad, especially considering his character did get more than anyone else other than Buffy that season. Especially when a lot of Buffy's arc was centred around Spike as well. I think he expressed himself poorly there.

His Spike movie idea? ah well interesting but I think he was joking about that

And I agree about Xander to an extent, though it's hard for me to tell sometimes, I mean he didn't like Angel but I think there was a few times he was nicer to Angel than he was to Spike. The only time I can remember him being really nice to Spike at all was with the cigarette lighter and that ended in a fight anyway.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Was going to keep my mouth shut... but just had to say that. Especially considering there was an actual *thread* on this site, dedicated to "what's up with SMG?" If that's allowed, a jokey "bitch" comment is most certainly allowed. Double standards much?
                  No, it is not a case of double standards. I may strongly disagree with what they may say, but using them that childish term. Putting a rational argument forward is one thing, calling someone a 'bitch' is something else. I'm amazed that I have to explain that really.
                  sueworld
                  Banned
                  Last edited by sueworld; 14-07-08, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sueworld View Post
                    No, it is not a case of double standards. I may strongly disagree with what they may say, but using them that childish term. Putting a rational argument forward is one thing, calling someone a 'bitch' is something else. I'm amazed that I have to explain that really.
                    EndersWrath was quoting Steve Carells' character Michael Scott from 'The Office' I believe? As a fan of 'The Office' I pretty much recognised it immediately as I'm quite obsessed with that show, which is why I personally didn't take issue with it.

But I don't believe I'm wrong in stating what I said, a jokey comment which origins have been explained above you, is nowhere near as bad as an entire thread dedicated to assessing and criticising another actor and her comments. If any post above was considered ?actor bashing' then surely an entire thread dedicated to some happily posting distasteful rumours about another actress, most certainly is.

I don't like the bashing actors either, which is why I enquired wether or not in its congested form the whole thing could have seemed more blunt than it actually was.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Well as I am only familiar with the original show that spawned the American one, I'm afraid I had no idea where that came from. This forum is international, so not everyone is going to get the 'joke', thats If it was intended as one of course.

Of course people can disagree with what actors say on here. (read what I said above) but calling people 'bitch' in jest or not isn't really the adult way of doing it, in my opinion.
                      sueworld
                      Banned
                      Last edited by sueworld; 14-07-08, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post

But really could the interview just have been taken out of context? It did seem like he was a little grouchy but was it made more blunt just to be smaller and more digestible for those who don't want to read pages and pages?

Whilst I agree that the potential's plot turned out badly, I don't agree like the rest of you about how James wanted them gone for more Spike time. I thought that was pretty bad, especially considering his character did get more than anyone else other than Buffy that season. Especially when a lot of Buffy's arc was centered around Spike as well. I think he expressed himself poorly there.

His Spike movie idea? ah well interesting but I think he was joking about that
                        Yes, that is exactly what happened. I was at the Creation Con last April-which appears to be where most of these comments were collected. The bit about the Potential was part of a a much longer comment. The point of which was that, if given the opportunity, Marsters would have liked it if we could have seen Spike making the choice to self-sacrifice. Something about considering it ahead of time-like going in knowing that he was not coming out. He pointed out that that there wasn't time and said himself that Spike wasn't the whole point of the show.

The man talks...a lot. They shortened things and made it sound more abrupt and really more...firm. He kind of babbled so that his statements ended up sounding more like thinking out loud.

And regarding the movie idea...again shortened and no, I don't think he is kidding. He has a whole thing worked out in which Spike ends up getting a new pair of boots and it is supposed to be a happy ending. He is an odd duck.

I'm sure that I've seen a more full version of the transcripts but I can't find it now. If someone else wants to look it was April 2008 in Burbank. There were some cute kids Q's about who would win in a fight...

Finally...please do try to remember the audience that he believes himself to be addressing at the time. He was talking to his fans about his wishes for the character.(Which he was asked about.) He is an actor, it doesn't seem so odd that he would want to have lots of screen time. He absolutely never said that other people shouldn't have gotten time or anything like that-it wasn't a bitchfest.
                        "All I ask is that... that you try to see me."

Comment

Thanks for the nice info Dorian

In regards to the Paley question? Was his response about that more or less correct? I actually appreciate actors being frank and honest rather than regurgitating the same spiel over and over again, it's something I've actually admired about Sarah, but it's disappointing he didn't get much out of it. I'd have hoped the actors would have enjoyed it, hopefully the rest did.

Personally I felt sorry for people like Charisma who really didn't get to say much or have much directed at her

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                            Thanks for the nice info Dorian

In regards to the Paley question? Was his response about that more or less correct? I actually appreciate actors being frank and honest rather than regurgitating the same spiel over and over again, it's something I've actually admired about Sarah, but it's disappointing he didn't get much out of it. I'd have hoped the actors would have enjoyed it, hopefully the rest did.

Personally I felt sorry for people like Charisma who really didn't get to say much or have much directed at her
                            Yeah, that is pretty accurate. He would have preferred it if people challenged decisions made on the show or something. He likes arguing a bit-the challenge of arguing.

In fact, the most excited he got all weekend was when a woman announced that she didn't like Captain John (the character he plays on Torchwood) and that it was going to take more then him appearing with puppy eyes or something for her to start liking him. They got into a (gentle) debate and he bounced around like a kid on Christmas. At one point he said something like he could see where she was coming from but that she was just wrong and then shot the audience an "Aren't I just a devil?" look.

My own opinion is that he probably felt like he had to hold himself back at Paleyfest. He is used to being the center of attention/ dominating conversation at these things and knew that he shouldn't there. I'm thinking that being on your best behavior is less fun. But that's really just my speculation based on seeing clips of him there compared to other appearances. He just looks so much more sedate at Paleyfest. I mean he actually stayed in the chair!!!
                            "All I ask is that... that you try to see me."

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Dorian. Maybe others will take on board what you said when attempting to jump all over the silly wee devil.

My own opinion is that he probably felt like he had to hold himself back at Paleyfest. He is used to being the center of attention/ dominating conversation at these things and knew that he shouldn't there. I'm thinking that being on your best behavior is less fun. But that's really just my speculation based on seeing clips of him there compared to other appearances. He just looks so much more sedate at Paleyfest. I mean he actually stayed in the chair!!!
                              Also take on board the fact that he was severely knackered! He'd just that moment got off a plane from Mexico from filming that Dragonball movie. He said himself afterwards that he'd barely made it there on time, and all he wanted to do was go to sleep, but he didn't want to disappoint the fans so made the effort to attend the fest.

When it comes to ideas for his character, Jimmy has some very odd ideas. Thank god he's not a writer!

Comment

Working...
                              X