Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well here it is Merry Christmas, every Scooby's having fun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well here it is Merry Christmas, every Scooby's having fun...

This is for Tangent's fanfic challenge, but I thought I'd enlist the big brains of all the non fanficcers too. So, the question is...when does Christmas fall in each season? We know where it is for season 3 - during Amends.

But, what episodes would Xmas fall in/between in the other seasons?

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Based on the broadcast schedule, Christmas in Season 2 fell between 2.11 "Ted" and 2.12 "Bad Eggs".

In Season 4, it would fall between 4.10 "Hush" and 4.11 "Doomed" except for the fact that the two episodes run without any time between them. Since Buffy's birthday comes up in 4.12 "A New Man", we are left to assume that enough time passes between "Doomed" and "A New Man" to include Christmas.

Season 5 is harder. It should fall between 5.10 "Into the Woods" and 5.11 "Triangle", but Xander makes a reference to Riley asking to borrow something three weeks before. But, the air dates are only about three weeks apart, and since pushing it to between to before "Checkpoint" or before "Blood Ties" creates other problems, I'd say that Christmas was between "Into the Woods" and "Triangle".

In Seson 6 it should be between 6.10 "Wrecked" and 6.11 "Gone", except in "Gone", the first scene is of them cleaning the house out of anything magic related. I doubt they'd have waited weeks to do that, so it's probably pretty close in time to the previous episode. So, it's more likely that it would be between 6.11 "Gone" and 6.12 "Doublemeat Palace".

In Season 7, 7.11 "Showtime" runs right after 7.10 "Bring on the Night", so it's more likely Christmas is after "Showtime" and before 7.12 "Potential".

In Season 8, it's pretty much open to interpretation. But, it's pretty likely that Willow isn't around, although that could be written around.
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

Comment

That all sounds very reasonable. I find the lack of changing weather in Sunnydale really throws off my sense of time there!

Comment

I wish they'd done more xmas episodes, it'd have been very interesting to see how Buffy deals withher first xmas without her mother. Or a really sweet xmas episode involving the potentials and the scoobies. I always felt there was a lot of potential there.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I think Stormwreath worked out where Xmas would fall in season 8 didn't he? Can anyone remember what that was/where he posted it? Or, Stormwreath, if you and your calculatingly calendar cunning brain are around...?

Comment

I think 'Anywhere But Here' is the episode closest to Christmas.

In 'No Future For You', Dawn is eating ripe apples from a tree, and Giles says to Faith "Unless this young lady is terminated before fall's end, she will usher in--" "--the end of the world, right?". So NFFY is set in autumn.

In 'A Beautiful Sunset', Xander says he's been saving the vamp nest for Buffy's birthday. Buffy's birthday is probably on 19 January, because she tells Riley her star sign is 'Capricorn on the cusp of Aquarius'. Logically, if Xander is thinking about Buffy's birthday this episode wouldn't be set long before it - in other words, in early to mid January.

(But this isn't necessarily the case - it might still be autumn in #11 and Xander's just making a random joke).

Comment

Wolfie, I'm writing my challenge entry about the Christmas of 2003, their first after "Chosen" -- has the most room to play around in. I'd say do that, or write angsty fic set around where Stormwreath said
              sigpic
              Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                Wolfie, I'm writing my challenge entry about the Christmas of 2003, their first after "Chosen" -- has the most room to play around in. I'd say do that, or write angsty fic set around where Stormwreath said
                2003 sounds like a good - and room to move, yes - idea. Thanks for the dating advice both of you

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
                  Thanks for the dating advice both of you
                  I've got more if you want it...

Mostly dancing, light contact, don't push your luck and heavy conversation's out of the question. You ask him/her to dance. Then talk. Keep eye contact, funny is good, but don't be glib and remember: if you hurt him/her, I will beat you to death with a shovel.
                  Last edited by stormwreath; 18-01-08, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stormwreath View Post
                    I've got more if you want it...

Mostly dancing, light contact, don't push your luck and heavy conversation's out of the question. You ask him/her to dance. Then talk. Keep eye contact, funny is good, but don't be glib and remember: if you hurt him/her, I will beat you to death with a shovel.
                    But what if I don't konw if they like cheese??

Anyway, thanks guys - mods, I reckon you can probably close this one now

Comment

Season 5 is harder. It should fall between 5.10 "Into the Woods" and 5.11 "Triangle", but Xander makes a reference to Riley asking to borrow something three weeks before. But, the air dates are only about three weeks apart, and since pushing it to between to before "Checkpoint" or before "Blood Ties" creates other problems, I'd say that Christmas was between "Into the Woods" and "Triangle".

In Seson 6 it should be between 6.10 "Wrecked" and 6.11 "Gone", except in "Gone", the first scene is of them cleaning the house out of anything magic related. I doubt they'd have waited weeks to do that, so it's probably pretty close in time to the previous episode. So, it's more likely that it would be between 6.11 "Gone" and 6.12 "Doublemeat Palace".

In Season 7, 7.11 "Showtime" runs right after 7.10 "Bring on the Night", so it's more likely Christmas is after "Showtime" and before 7.12 "Potential".
                      Well we see in "The Body" a flashback to Christmas (the closest we get to seeing Scooby Christmas outside of Amends), and I could have sworn that we saw everything decorated for Christmas at some other point (as usual looking like it shouldn't be Christmas b/c of the weather), like in season 7--or was the only Christmas ref in season 7 that they go to the lot where the trees had been in Amends? Were there new trees or not in that epp, I can't remember....
                      Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

They went to the lost in 7.10 "Bring on the Night", and it was around Christmas time, but the lot was not open for business; there were no trees.

I have to assume that the flashbacks were to Christmas during Season 5. I don't think Tara would have been at a Summers Christmas in Season 4, since she was still basically a secret.
                        sigpic
                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

They went to the lost in 7.10 "Bring on the Night", and it was around Christmas time, but the lot was not open for business; there were no trees.

I have to assume that the flashbacks were to Christmas during Season 5. I don't think Tara would have been at a Summers Christmas in Season 4, since she was still basically a secret.
                          I realize--so I was saying that we at least know that Christmas occurred in season 5 before "The Body" happened!
                          Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

christmas is circa episode 10-12, usually (and the body is a flashback still in season 5--not season 4--this is christmas eve 2000). buffy's birthday (jan. 19--or jan. 20 if you don't want the scoobies attending school on a sunday) is in blood ties, so it's before that. i'd guess around triangle/checkpoint.

and i agree with christmas 2002 being between showtime and potential.

interesting thing about ats--you'll quickly find out how far away on a different timeline it is on when you take into consideration that cordelia's birthday is may 22 and her birthday in season 3 occurred in episode 11. there's actually quite a few hints at where the timelines change drastically from air dates.

the weirdest of which is phases/bewitched, bothered and bewildered that actually overlap. the first two days worth of bewitched, bothered and bewildered take place before phases, in order for the full moon and valentine's to match up. a very tight squeeze, but it actually fits if xander showed buffy the gift for cordelia and discovered amy's witchery before oz had his first werewolf change.

yes, i've really mapped out the timeline. i was working on a timeline, but it's not complete at all. http://freecal.brownbearsw.com/nileq...ate=1996-09-01
                            Last edited by NileQT87; 19-01-08, 08:42 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                            "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Originally posted by NileQT87 View Post
                              christmas is circa episode 10-12, usually (and the body is a flashback still in season 5--not season 4--this is christmas eve 2000). buffy's birthday (jan. 19--or jan. 20 if you don't want the scoobies attending school on a sunday) is in blood ties, so it's before that. i'd guess around triangle/checkpoint.

and i agree with christmas 2002 being between showtime and potential.

interesting thing about ats--you'll quickly find out how far away on a different timeline it is on when you take into consideration that cordelia's birthday is may 22 and her birthday in season 3 occurred in episode 11. there's actually quite a few hints at where the timelines change drastically from air dates.

the weirdest of which is phases/bewitched, bothered and bewildered that actually overlap. the first two days worth of bewitched, bothered and bewildered take place before phases, in order for the full moon and valentine's to match up. a very tight squeeze, but it actually fits if xander showed buffy the gift for cordelia and discovered amy's witchery before oz had his first werewolf change.

yes, i've really mapped out the timeline. i was working on a timeline, but it's not complete at all. http://freecal.brownbearsw.com/nileq...ate=1996-09-01
                              Your Season One timeline doesn't really match up. There's a three week gap in October and a three month gap between late December and early March where nothing seemingly happened. Also, if Buffy started in September, which is around the time most school's start, there probably wouldn't have been such a big deal made by other students, since there would probably be at least one other new student. It's much more common for only one new student to appear later in the year.

Another thing I noticed, Fall sports tryouts, like Football and Cheerleading, are usually held in the Spring of the previous year. So, it's possible that Buffy and Amy/Catherine were trying out for the Cheerleading Squad for next year's squad.

Comment

Yeah, Season 1 is all in the spring semester of 1997.
                                sigpic
                                Banner by LRae12

Comment

no it's not! the harvest moon is in september. it's very specific! also, if you actually do the math for 1000 days after the advent of septus, you have to match it up. also, you have to take in account when cheerleading tryouts take place (always between october and november) and the fact that they were the 1996 cheerleading tryouts. this season does not go with air dates. for example--out of mind, out of sight did not air on may day (and far from it), but cordelia is the may day queen.

also, while aphrodesia and aura mention she starts mid-semester (not the same as mid-year) in the unaired pilot--which is like expanded dialog that got cut... the harvest kind of pinpoints it quite specifically. and it's been a while since i was in school, but i think they seem to start right after labor day. it would explain why xander still doesn't have his books (school has started, but it isn't too far). it's about a month into the year. also, dawn's birthday with buffy and joyce at the carousel--that's reached by taking the air date of an episode and going "2 months earlier", which gives her a birth date that happens to be late summer. why buffy didn't start with everybody else? who knows. perhaps joyce had some trouble still getting buffy into school after hemery.

ditto with season 3 ats, which goes really off the air dates. when the air dates work, they're kept, otherwise, they have to fit in with spoken days of the week (there's a few times this goes wonky--thanks joss), werewolf cycles (this does a lot of the calendar work) and days when the scoobies are at school (an episode often takes place across an entire week or MORE!). a lot of it is going by costume changes--for example how many different outfits buffy wears as she is campaigning for homecoming queen--that montage is about a week in itself.

the split is because of "buffy: the animated series" that was supposed to be epsisode 7.5, meaning that some time passes between angel and i, robot...you, jane.

also, buffy says she sees angel about once a month. that is the reason for the 3 week split. trying to put about a month between each of his early appearances.

and when no birthdates are given, they inherit the actors. it's silly, but it works. as for faith's age... i made her as old as she could be and still be a minor when she did all of her crimes.
                                  Last edited by NileQT87; 19-01-08, 11:51 PM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                                  "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Did they actually mention the harvest moon? I thought it was just... the Harvest?

Regardless... fascinating. Do you do "Angel", too? I'm really curious to look at how you resolve Season 4 going by in about 3 weeks. Season 7/Season 4 is the screwiest time fudging in the Buffyverse.
                                    sigpic
                                    Banner by LRae12

Comment

Okay, so now I'm totally confused. I really thought the flashback in The Body was a flashback to Thanksgiving, not Christmas. I will have to rewatch and take a look.

Edit: Okay, rewatched! Lots of Santa discussion, coloured lights, mention of eggnog.

Also- any time line in Buffy is tricky, especially taking AtS into account, but I can't wait 'til your time line is more complete Nile- let us know, okay?
                                      Last edited by Veverka; 19-01-08, 11:57 PM.

Comment

If it helps, Nile, I've got a pretty exacting timeline for the run from "Dirty Girls" through "Chosen" that I did for a... sort of geekish case study on their casualties.
                                        sigpic
                                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Working...
                                        X