Random Observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Observations

I don't think there's a thread like this at the moment - if there is, my apologies.

One of my favorite things about btvs is that almost every time I re-watch an episode I see something new. About a month ago I was watching season one again, and I noticed something in Teacher's Pet: one of the funny side bits in the episode is that the she-mantis only mates with virgins in order to create her eggs before biting off her victims heads. But her first victim, the science teacher, is like a 50 year old man! originally I just assumed that she killed him to get his job without mating with him, but the evidence suggests otherwise: his head is not with his body, and there are eggs hatching in the science room's closet at the end of the episode. So, in effect, the writers were saying that the poor kindly 50+ year old science teacher was a virgin! which...I kind of find hilarious.

Anyone else similarly notice new things after multiple viewings?
    sigpic

http://buffysmom.wordpress.com/

Well mine isn't funny as that, good catch by the way, but something was pointed out to me about 'Afterlife' that for some strange reason had never registered with me before.

Someone pointed out to me that when Willow and Tara are doing the spell to make the demon who rode in with Buffy solid, it isn't part of the spell that Willow does her own little bit when she breaks away from Tara and is actually Willow doing her own magic because it is faster and she is bascially, taking control- power blah blah blah magic is bad Willow of s6. Hadn't occured to me for some strange reason.

I also don't know if this counts but I could never understand what Nick B says in 'Normal Again' to Spike in the graveyard scene till the other day and I cracked up laughing. He calls Spike "Willy wanna bite" which I found utterly hillarious because up until that viewing which must have been about the 300th bloody time I've watched this episode, I couldn't understand what he was saying here. I never knew if he was saying well Will (to Willow) he wants to bite me but he can't, I just couldn't understand the delivery. Now that I understand it I have much more appreciation for that awesome line.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I was rewatching "Phases", and if I had noticed this before, I completely forgot it. When Buffy and Willow are talking about guys and Willow wistfully says "it used to be so much easier to tell if a boy liked you. He'd
      punch you on the arm and then run back to his friends."

And right as she's saying it, Xander walks up to them in the hallway and punches Buffy in the arm and says "hey".

That... is pretty funny to me
      sigpic
      Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
        I was rewatching "Phases", and if I had noticed this before, I completely forgot it. When Buffy and Willow are talking about guys and Willow wistfully says "it used to be so much easier to tell if a boy liked you. He'd
        punch you on the arm and then run back to his friends."

And right as she's saying it, Xander walks up to them in the hallway and punches Buffy in the arm and says "hey".

That... is pretty funny to me
        Hey..I've never noticed this one, it's really funny I'm never so careful about the details but I'll try to be, from now on, bec they're actually like the real parts of the episodes(I couldn't understand what I mean, but whatever, I hope you'll got it)
        sigpic

Comment

litzie's is my favorite catch so far. Good one! Poor old science teacher.

I also think that's a cute one, KoC. Poor Willow and her crush. Phases is a great shippy ep for B/X though.

I haven't watch the series in so long and am therefore in terrible shape to point any small nuances out. I honestly can't think of a single one!
          sigpic
          follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I was just watching Innocence for the like hundredth time and I noticed something I'd never seen before.

In the scene when Angelus appears to Willow and Xander in the school hall and Buffy appears behind him, he kisses her and then throws her to the ground next to a bust on a plinth. There is a brass plaque on the plinth and it reads "In memoriam of Principal Robert..." (you can't see the surname), so I have deduced that it is for Principal Flutie on the basis that he was eaten in the previous season and the "All the kids here are free to call me Bob" line from the first episode.

Slightly off topic because this is on Angel but in the episode "Birthday" when Cordy and Fred are cleaning the floor, they are using a product called "Stain-Be-Gone" - which is of course the product she was auditioning for when she got her first vision. Very cool, especially as the episode is all about how the visions would eventually kill her!!
            Last edited by ciderdrinker; 12-12-07, 10:18 PM.
            sigpic

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

Comment

phases was heavy on buffy/xander? what was i missing? i saw more buffy/giles and xander/larry [really uncomfortable] innuendo. i guess you're talking about how xander got upset that buffy warded off larry and he felt his macho points were insulted.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
              "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Originally posted by ciderdrinker View Post
                Slightly off topic because this is on Angel but in the episode "Birthday" when Cordy and Fred are cleaning the floor, they are using a product called "Stain-Be-Gone" - which is of course the product she was auditioning for when she got her first vision. Very cool, especially as the episode is all about how the visions would eventually kill her!!
                Nice catch! I love that. And you're right, very cool since it about the visions and all.

Originally posted by NileQT87 View Post
                phases was heavy on buffy/xander? what was i missing? i saw more buffy/giles and xander/larry [really uncomfortable] innuendo. i guess you're talking about how xander got upset that buffy warded off larry and he felt his macho points were insulted.
                Well, there was the scene in funeral parlor before and after Theresa vamps out. Some might not take it as a romantic kind of closeness and some might.

We all don't always see things the same way.
                sigpic
                follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
                  Well, there was the scene in funeral parlor before and after Theresa vamps out. Some might not take it as a romantic kind of closeness and some might.
                  Oh edfinately a rmoantic kind of closeness in Xander's eyes at least. If it wasn't a romantic angle then why would he say "Oh, no, my life's not too complicated" about the fact that he's still in love with Buffy but now seeing Cordelia, and a bit jealous of Oz with Willow.
                  sigpic

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

Comment

i thought the "oh, no. my life's not complicated" was referring to buffy being in love with angel, yet angelus is killing people she knows? it was about buffy in regards to angel/angelus, not xander's issues.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                    "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

The shooting script is pretty clear that it's supposed to be romantic tension, and that's what plays on screen. His life is "complicated" because he already is juggling jealousy over Willow with his infatuation with Cordy, and add on top of that a very intense little moment with his favorite of all, Buffy, and... complicated.
                      sigpic
                      Banner by LRae12

Comment

One thing that took me forever to notice was in "Gone" when Invisible Buffy whistles "Going Through the Motions" when she leaves the social workers' office. It honestly just clicked it my head when I watched the episode last spring. That makes it, what, 5 years later. lol
                        sigpic

Comment

ok, i get now why it's a xander w/ buffy moment (i had to rewatch it). yep. you're right. xander is referring to himself and his situation where he loves buffy, but is with cordelia. and of course, willow loves him.

ironically, xander's near ignoring of willow's crush and choice to see it as nothing beyond their friendship is exactly how buffy views xander's crush on her. she chooses ignorance, but knows of the infatuation. though that line also has a meaning for buffy's situation with angelus. but yeah, i haven't watched that episode in a long time.

one of the last things i noticed was that buffy's birthday can't be on january 19th without the scoobies being at school on a sunday.

Comment

I can't figure how Buffy's deal with Angel makes *Xander's* life more complicated in ways that it wasn't already -- she still has capital Issues with someone he doesn't like.

I do think there are pretty intentional parallel's between Xander and Willow and Buffy and Xander through that stretch. In both cases, you've got one person with full on "in love with you" energy for the other, and the other who A) knows it, B) chooses to ignore, and C) occasionally realizes they do, in fact, have the option of returning it if they would just decide to (Xander in "When She Was Bad" and "Becoming, Part II", Buffy in "Inca Mummy Girl" and "Phases", and possibly in "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered").

I'm stumped for things I hadn't noticed at the moment, but I'm watching Season 5 of Angel at the moment. Maybe I'll switch back to some early Buffy... Season 1!

Wait, something small I love from "Innocence" -- when Xander has his great "I'm having a thought... now I'm having a plan", he does the funniest thing with his eyebrows, like him having had a plan is the weirdest, scariest thing he ever heard
                            sigpic
                            Banner by LRae12

Comment

This is an old one that I noticed a few years back while watching consequences I think it was... when Buffy visits Faith's apartment at the end if you look behind her you can see Faith's home made punching bag has a vamp face drawn on it similar to Spike's drawing in chosen.
                              Find me at facebook - tumblr - twitter - livejournal

Comment

I only really twigged the other day that in Restless, Tara talks about her "demon" self/the events that unfold in Family in a tangental way: she says, to Willow, "You don't know everything about me". Either Willow's realised on a subconscious level that Tara's hiding something...or the witch has a little nip of prophecy in her dream coffee?

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

I suppose I was a little innocent when watching Buffy season 3 for the first time and missed most of the sexual metaphors between Buffy and Angel. There are a few.. like the now oh so obvious orgasm moment when he bites her. And in Enemies when she says something like 'I don't like to rub your nose in it' (It being sex that they can't have).. 'And I'm suddenly wondering where that saying comes from.' LOL (And I'm not explaining that incase some young innocents are reading )
                                  sigpic

Comment

"rubbing your nose in it" and her wondering suddenly where that came from... i think it's a bit more than just sex. nose to bush. that's all i'm saying. or maybe i just have a really dirty mind.

i'm still wondering what the heck buffy meant by vampires can't be telephone operators (the red cross joke is obvious--the blood banks even make similar jokes about that at halloween). frankly, i'd imagine being a telephone operator is probably the ideal and least fatal vampire-in-the-workforce option. nothing to smell. it's a talking through a cord and low-contact job.

Comment

Originally posted by NileQT87 View Post
                                      i'm still wondering what the heck buffy meant by vampires can't be telephone operators (the red cross joke is obvious--the blood banks even make similar jokes about that at halloween). frankly, i'd imagine being a telephone operator is probably the ideal and least fatal vampire-in-the-workforce option. nothing to smell. it's a talking through a cord and low-contact job.
                                      Think she just meant, they can't be a regular jo and this is a pretty regular job.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I was recently rewatching Becoming and noticed practically the same line was used in this episode by Spike when he was talking to Drusilla and Buffy in Two To Go when fighting with Willow. This kind of made me laugh and just made me admire the brillance of Joss' writing that little bit more

Becoming
                                        Spike: I don't want to hurt you, baby.

She grabs him by the throat and shoves him into the wall. He slaps her
                                        arm aside and punches her in the face.

Spike: Doesn't mean I won't.
                                        Two To Go
                                        BUFFY: I don't want to hurt you.

Willow punches Buffy. Buffy flies backward a long way, crashing into a magazine rack against a wall. The geeks look even more scared. Xander looks alarmed, moves in front of Dawn.

WILLOW: Not a problem.

Willow starts toward the guys again. Buffy gets up, now wearing her kick-ass expression. She strides over to get in front of Willow again.

BUFFY: I said I didn't *want* to.

Buffy backhands Willow. Now it's Willow's turn to fly backward, crashing into a glass display case. Crash, tinkle, broken glass and wood and merchandise everywhere. Willow lands in a heap on the floor.

BUFFY: Didn't say I wouldn't.
                                        I know this is different to what others have said but I hope its ok.
                                        Livejournal

Avatar made by Shameless666 of Livejournal

Comment

Working...
                                        X