Saddest episode in the Jossverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddest episode in the Jossverse

I want to know what people think is the saddest episode in the Jossverse.

It is not necessarily an episode in which a character dies, although that tends to be the usual norm. It's also not necessarily for the shock of a character dying -- if a character shockingly dies at the end of an episode, you will be sad afterwards, but that is more to do with the knowledge that they will not be in future episodes, not the pathos built throughout the episode you have just seen. However, I'll still include some of those "shock" factor episodes on the poll.

So -- which episode builds pathos like no other, reduces you to tears the most?

I'd cite three: "Becoming part 2", "The Body" and "A Hole in the World". The "twist" of "Becoming part 2", that Angel gets his soul back and Buffy has to kill him, makes it really heart-wrenching and Sarah's acting really is brilliant. The image of Acathla spinning up around them, and the song that comes afterwards, make this even more powerful.

For "The Body", the first act, showing Buffy's reaction, is incredibly powerful. Her little fantasy about having saved Joyce being cut short, and her line "we're not supposed to touch the body" and reaction it, are truly brilliant. However, there are some problems with the episode -- Anya's speech, for one, is incredibly overblown, and the actor that plays Dawn's love interest is truly terrible. It is the silences that are powerful -- as Xander and Anya drive in, as we see Joyce's body being prepared, as we see Dawn's class viewing her breaking down through the window.

I don't feel that "A Hole in the World" is actually over-the-top. Amy Acker's acting is just terrific, creating such pity for Fred and showing the horror of her dying. Alexis Denisof's acting unfortunately didn't come up to par, although he had his moments, and the only part of the episode that I truly hate is the little mission circle that culminates in Angel going "Winifred Burkle". Ugh. The Angel and Spike subplot, the literal "hole in the world", works well to build the pathos of Fred's decline.

Since I just spoke about "The Body", I'd also like to mention that I find the climactic scene of "Forever", the subsequent episode, really sad and chilling as well. Sometimes it's okay to go to the dramatic, when it's done well.

Overall I'd say I think the saddest episode, for me, is the drama of "Becoming, part 2". A few Jossverse episodes which I consider very sad are on the poll. Please post with your opinions.
    Prophecy Girl
    0.00%
    Innocence
    2.41%
    Passion
    0.00%
    Becoming, part 2
    7.23%
    The Body
    28.92%
    Forever
    0.00%
    The Gift
    9.64%
    Hell's Bells
    0.00%
    Seeing Red
    1.20%
    Chosen
    1.20%
    I Will Remember You
    13.25%
    Hero
    1.20%
    Are You Now or Have You Ever Been?
    0.00%
    Reprise
    1.20%
    Lullaby
    0.00%
    Sleep Tight
    1.20%
    You're Welcome
    6.02%
    A Hole in the World
    15.66%
    Not Fade Away
    6.02%
    Another one, including Firefly (please specify)
    4.82%

I picked Innocence. There are many moments I cried, but this episode was so heartbreaking, so cruel and painful. The scene in which Buffy meets Angelus in Angel's house ... and after the whole story around Angelus and Buffy ... there is the part with Willow discovering Cordelia and Xander ...

Passion was sad too, Giles finding Jenny in the way he did, Giles attacking Angelus ... who only laughs. Willow and Buffy hearing about the death of Jenny. The end with Buffy and Giles ... it was difficult to watch.

Forgiving; Angel lost his son and I think that was the worst person to lose. He was so broken ... and Wesley who tries to do the right thing but failed. And Angel in the last scene in the hospital trying to kill his former best friend. Really sad ... the episodes after forgiving are also really sad btw.

I'n agreeing with Kold over 'A hole in the World', it was a little too much. But the scene where Fred dies in Wesley's arms is so beautiful and sad, that it makes up for the cheesy 'Two words, Winifred Burkle' line of Angel.

The first scene of 'The Body', the death of Cordy in 'You're Welcome', The final scenes in 'Becoming', the end in 'I will remember you', the last scene in 'Double or Nothing', Anya walking alone in her weddingdress in 'Hell bell's', the deaths of Wesley and Doyle on Ats are deserving a mention also.
    Last edited by Nina; 24-01-08, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I voted for the body, I hate watching this episode because its so sad, the silence when buffy does tell dawn like you mentioned, is heartbreaking IMO I think that episode had some excellent acting.

Also I think wesley dying in the end of not fade away is so sad too, when Illyria turns into fred for wesley thats heartwrenching too

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
        I picked Innocence. There are many moments I cried, but this episode was so heartbreaking, so cruel and painful. The scene in wich Buffy meets Angelus in Angel's house ... and after the whole story around Angelus and Buffy ... there is the part with Willow discovering Cordelia and Xander ...

Passion was sad too, Giles finding Jenny in the way he did, Giles attacking Angelus ... who only laughs. Willow and Buffy hearing about the death of Jenny. The end with Buffy and Giles ... it was difficult to watch.

Forgiving; Angel lost his son and I think that was the worst person to lose. He was so broken ... and Wesley who tries to do the right thing but failed. And Angel in the last scene in the hospital trying to kill his former best friend. Really sad ... the episodes after forgiving are also really sad btw.

I'n agreeing with Kold over 'A hole in the World', it was a little too much. But the scene where Fred dies in Wesley's arms is so beautiful and sad, that it makes up for the cheesy 'Two words, Winifred Burkle' line of Angel.

The first scene of 'The Body', the death of Cordy in 'You're Welcome', The final scenes in 'Becoming', the end in 'I will remember you', the last scene in 'Double or Nothing', Anya walking alone in her weddingdress in 'Hell bell's', the deaths of Wesley and Doyle on Ats are deserving a mention also.

I voted A Hole in the World. it was without a doubt a very sad episode.

But I will alsoo agree with Nina on the above mentioned...
        -TP<3
        "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
        - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

I was torn b/t The Body and AHITW, but I ended up picking The Body b/c it's the only Jossverse epp I've ever really cried at, and I did so throughout the episode at that! But AHITW is also really, really sad, from the flashback at the beginning to the "You are my sunshine" exchange, to her death at last and "Why can't I stay?" So very, very sad and tragic--such a horrible way for poor Fred to go out! But I think The Body is a little more gut-wrenchingly sad and close to home, esp. with the memory at the beginning, and then the huge contrast to her body, the lack of music, the speeches, etc.
          Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

This was a really hard one.. I had to choose between probably the two saddest episodes of television (The Body and A Hole In The World.) I definitely think A Hole In The World is a rival.. it has everything in it that is the perfect tragedy (even sadder.. we see Amy acting Fred's final moments.) The Body just strikes your heart with sadness though. The acting.. the facial expressions.. everything the actors did made you think of Joyce bringing up the gang their snacks from season 2... and miss it. I would have to say the saddest "moment" is without a doubt the ending of The Gift.. I always take that one to heart. Between Spike's crying, Giles face, and Xander's (probably the one that hits me the hardest) clear understanding sadness.. without any tears. I can't help but shed a tear.
            sigpic

-Sig by BlasterBoy-

Comment

This one was so hard because I could only pick one, and there were at least 3 here that make me cry like a baby everytime I watch them.

I ultimately ended up picking I Will Remember You...to me it's so horribly sad for Angel to finally get what he always dreamed of and have it ripped away, with only him carrying the memory of it.

The other honorable mentions were the obvious The Body and A Hole in the World - both of which make me sob every time I watch them....
              sigpic

Comment

I say Benediction. Angel and Connor came so close to being reconciled as a normal father and son. Only to have their hopes dashed by the success of Holtz's scheme to make Connor hate and fight Angel. Holtz was so destructive that he not only came close to destroying Angel; he willingly allowed himself to be destroyed to get his vengeance. And we know that just as Connor lost his father Holtz, he's about to lose his father Angel--buried under the ocean for three months.
                "When you have an obsession you pretty much fit it into your schedule no matter what." --Cordelia

Comment

I have to say that I?m torn between The Gift, The Body, Becoming 2 and Innocence.
                  First of all, Becoming 2 and The Gift are tied together as my number one episode. So much happens in the episodes, amazing scenes through the whole episode and culminating in tragedy. Becoming because she has to kill Angel not Angelus, Sarah?s acting and the beautiful music surronding it and The Gift because of all the emotion it has, her speech at the end and just watching Spike break down is enough for me to feel sad.
                  The Body is just too shocking to me, very painful to watch. Ver raw emotion.
                  Innocence just breaks my heart, mostly the scene where Angelus tears Buffy apart emotionally and the last scene with the candle: "let it burn". Amazing.
                  But also mostly I cry alot.

Comment

I would have to say The Body, it seemed almost too real especially with all the painful silences.

I'm yet to watch Angel so I can't say about that.

Comment

The Body and A Whole In The World are the two contenders for me. Specific scenes had me in tears, in the body it was Anya's little speech, it was heartwrenching. In AWITW it was Fred saying "tell them I was brave" ... gah, brilliant acting from both as well as great scripts made it so hard to watch.

Comment

It's The Body for me all the way. It's a heart breakingly real seeming representation of grief and loss. Anya's speech I find really touching as i do Willows oufit troubles.

Really, really well, written and performed. So stark and uncompromising but oh so touching.
                        JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
                        Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

Since you mentioned "Firefly" is in play, I'll put in a vote for "Out of Gas" -- the long follow of Mal through the ship after he's alone always makes me tear up, that and the goodbye with Inara (with all love to Buffy/Xander, Mal/Inara is probably my favorite Jossverse 'ship).
                          sigpic
                          Banner by LRae12

Comment

I was holding back the tears all the way through The Body. I think this was the saddest in Buffy history
                            We ride with death tonight

Comment

My two main ships are Spuffy and Faith/Angel but I do love Cangle, so definitely You're Welcome. That episode kills me. I cannot believe Joss did that to us. It breaks my heart every time. It is both my favorite and least favorite Cordelia/Angel episode. It is so beautiful and so well done and so heart wrenching and unnecessary.

It to me is so much sadder than any other episode. Chosen's Spuffy moment was also sad, but the entire episode wasn't as sad to me as You're Welcome. O--M--G. My two cents.

Comment

For me it's definatly 'The Gift'. Buffy's speech to Dawn, Spike crying, the rest of the scoobies gathered around Buffy's body, Willow...Xander...Giles...the gravestone right at the end...There has never been an episode that I cried so much on. Just everything about 'The Gift' is amazing. And I just find it the saddest episode of...well Buffy. I have yet to watch Angel.

Although Passion comes close too. And Becoming Part 2. I always sob my little heart out on those two episodes too...(Becoming, not because she kills Angel...I don't like Angel...but it was the music...the acting...Sarah's reaction...even Joyce's reaction... )

sigpic
                                ♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

Comment

the body, the gift, forever rank high in my saddest episodes but i always get teary eyed when Willow is upset. In New Moon Rises when Willow is with Tara in her room explaining how she missed Oz but Tara made her happy, in Help when Willow visits Taras grave and says 'hey, its me' :-( also The Killer in Me at the end with Willow upset that she 'killed' Tara by moving on. and of course willows scene in the body, its heartbreaking. I love alyson hannigan
                                  Just one rule... I don't want to date a twin... I've been traded before.

Comment

I basically voted on which episode made me cry the most.. and still does if I watch it. So that would be Becoming.

Although I Will Remember You, A Whole in the World, Innocence, Are You Now or Ever Have Been, all make me cry still, usually. Jeez I'm a baby. AYNoEHB isn't actually one of my favourite Angel episodes, or even favourite Tim episode, but the final scene still gets me upset
                                    sigpic

Comment

The name of the episode escapes me, but I voted for an episode of Firefly where one of Inara's friends is killed. Angie Hart singing 'Amazing Grace' with such sorrow, drawn notes and little vibrato really got to me.

To be fair, I can't honestly judge on BtVS because I still haven't watched every episode of the series, but there were two episodes of Angel that got me all teary eyed. 'A Hole in the World' of course, and 'I Will Remember You'.
                                      "And remember, we keep our supraesophageal ganglion to ourselves. That means you Jimmy!"

Mr Ray, 'Finding Nemo'

Comment

The episode is "Heart of Gold", one of three un-aired episodes on the DVD set. Also a favorite of mine, as a big Mal/Inara guy Excellent choice.
                                        sigpic
                                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Working...
                                        X