Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why in BtVS S6 did Buffy keep Buffy/Spike a secret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why in BtVS S6 did Buffy keep Buffy/Spike a secret?

* In "Something Blue" (B 4.09), the Scoobies were relatively okay with the idea of Buffy/Spike. Giles wasn't supportive but he wasn't disgusted or entirely grossed out by the idea. Xander before realizing it was a spell was more baffled -- and jealous? -- than anything.

* In "Intervention" (B 5.18), Tara was actually the most against the idea of Buffy/Spike. Xander considered Spike was taking advantage of Buffy. Willow was more worried about Buffy's mental health than anything. But the end of the episode has all the Scoobies supportive of Spike and Xander actually feeling bad for Spike that Spike would no longer have the Buffybot.

* After "Intervention" (B 5.18), the Scoobies were fine with Spike's looking after Dawn. Spike after "Intervention" (outside of the Willow group) is treated as a Scooby.

* Spike obviously helped the Scoobies during the time after Buffy's death.

* The Scoobies weren't happy about Buffy's dating Angel and they weren't happy about Buffy's dating Riley after knowing that Riley is a member of the Initiative. Yet the Scoobies are relatively supportive of Buffy and her relationship choices.

* Xander's current girlfriend is the former vengeance demon Anyanka who continues to have around zero remorse for all the evil she's done. Willow's ex-boyfriend is a werewolf. Willow's current girlfriend did a spell so that the Scoobies would never be able to see any demons -- such a spell would have resulted in the deaths of all the Scoobies were it not reversed.

Side note: Perhaps the biggest flaw of BtVS S6 is that the Scoobies don't realize that Buffy and Spike are 'together'. The Scoobies know Buffy is either around Spike, hanging with Spike, patrolling with Spike, or is otherwise 'around somewhere'. The Kitchen Scene in "Gone" (B 6.10). "Older and Faraway" (B 6.14) has Buffy mostly around Spike or with Spike. The Scoobies assume Buffy's not been dating anyone. The Scoobies assume Spike's not been dating anyone.

I'd say that the scoobies would not have been as accepting as you make it seem here, especially Xander. But the real reason that Buffy kept it a secret is, IMO, because she was ashamed of the affair herself, and didn't want to make it more real by admitting its existence to others.
    Come on, I'm not a dog. I'm talking through the dog. He was nearby. I am a power without name, from a realm far above your petty-- Hey! Balls!
    HAHNANUMMANUMMA-SLURP-MMNN... Ho! Wait! Wait! Whoah! I can't help it! I'm housed in this animal. It's complicated!

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
      I'd say that the scoobies would not have been as accepting as you make it seem here, especially Xander.
      The thing is that, although the Scoobies knew about some good that Spike did (protect Dawn, fight with them against Glory, baby sit Dawn and patrol with them), they never got to know about how close Spike and Buffy had become: the back steps conversations. Up until Buffy jump on his bones, they used to talk; Buffy was treating him a little more than just muscles for help, and when they started sleeping together, she completely isolated him from the others. Next thing, is Spike having sex with Anya, and the AR. We can't blame Xander much (what he did and said to Anya is another matter).

In Seeing Red, Willow wasn't that shocked about the possibility of something between Buffy and Spike:

WILLOW:I know this is going to sound crazy, but ... I think something might be going on. With Spike and Buffy. I mean, she looked so hurt when she saw him with Anya. I think maybe-
      TARA: They've been sleeping together.
      WILLOW: No. I wouldn't go that far.
      TARA: No, I mean she told me they've been sleeping together.

So, what did Willow think? Maybe that Buffy had developed feelings for Spike? Maybe that she was in love with him? But as she didn't know anything about their interactions, having sex would be "go to far", considering who Spike was (and also Buffy...).

Dawn certainly wouldn't mind:

DAWN: So. This is it? This is the stuff you've been protecting me from? You and Spike?
      BUFFY: And a lot of monsters.
      DAWN: Uh-huh.
      BUFFY: But it's over. Spike.
      DAWN: I wish you'd told me.
      BUFFY: I kinda didn't wanna admit it to myself.
      DAWN: I get that.
      Last edited by betta; 04-08-16, 08:32 PM.
      My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

Comment

Originally posted by betta View Post
        The thing is that, although the Scoobies knew about some good that Spike did (protect Dawn, fight with them against Glory, baby sit Dawn and patrol with them), they never got to know about how close Spike and Buffy had become: the back steps conversations. Up until Buffy jump on his bones, they used to talk; Buffy was treating him a little more than just muscles for help, and when they started sleeping together, she completely isolated him from the others. Next thing, is Spike having sex with Anya, and the AR. We can't blame Xander much (what he did and said to Anya is another matter).
        Xander is also kind of a life-ist, ever since season 1.
        Come on, I'm not a dog. I'm talking through the dog. He was nearby. I am a power without name, from a realm far above your petty-- Hey! Balls!
        HAHNANUMMANUMMA-SLURP-MMNN... Ho! Wait! Wait! Whoah! I can't help it! I'm housed in this animal. It's complicated!

Comment

Working...
        X