Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Episode Battles. Explanation Style. Angel Edition.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode Battles. Explanation Style. Angel Edition.

This is like the thread in the Buffy section, only I wanted to bring it over to Angel because I was getting tired of only reviewing Buffy eps.

So this thread is much like the one in the game section where you take two episodes and the poster below you chooses which they like better.

However, the catch in this thread is that you must give at least a few sentences explaining why you feel the way you do. Posts do go toward your post count in here so there's no reason to spam. I think it will be a fun way to see how fellow members feel about certain kinds of eps.

So, to start:

Reprise vs. Epiphany
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

I'm glad you did this...I was going to suggest you did...

I'm going with Epiphany. I've never seen the big attraction to Reprise, the big reveal that earth is it's own hell...yeah, all ready got that. Plus, it was the episode that triggered my total dislike of Angel, so yeah, not going to vote for it. In Epiphany, Angel finally starts acting like himself again, which was a relief because I couldn't stand much more of him. Plus, it was Kate's last episode, which was also a plus...But I loved the trio of Cordy/Wes/Gunn in this ep...Gunn & Wes charging out to save the day.

Parting Gifts vs. Expecting
    sigpic

Comment

Wow. I Reprise. It gives me chills every time and I tink it was a great last epfor Kate. And I think Sam Anderson is wonderfully creepy. It was also a nice turning point for Angel. The scene on the elevator is just such a fantastic one. The first time I saw it I was like "yeah!" Anyway....

Parting Gifts. I loved seeing Cordy trying to pass the visions on to anyone she could. The auction was lame and all but Expecting is just so blah. I don't care for it much. I feel like the lot of Angel s1 was a bunch of filler MOTWs and I like the mythology eps so much more.

Yes, this is me typing under the influence.

Dad vs. Peace Out
      sigpic
      follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Dad. I never saw what every one hated about this episode. The action was good, Lorne being able to slip Angel that note was genius - even I thought Angel had Connor with him. Plus, I liked the ending when Angel named Connor. All around a pretty good eppy.

A Hole in the World vs. Shells
        sigpic

Comment

hmmm.. tough. I think I shall go with A Hole in the World. Any other mood and I might sway the other way. I enjoyed watching everyone cope with the aftermath of Fred's demise and Knox being found out. And I love Spike line regarding the ep title: "There's a hole int he world; Seems like we ought to have known."

She vs. That Gang of Mine
          sigpic

Comment

That Gang of Mine.

She has to be the most pointless and horrible episode of Ats' history, I utterly cannot stand it. It is episodes like these that threatened to put Ats in the same league as all those other horrible, boring and totally un-special Sci Fi shows that air during the day on the Sci Fi channel. I want the writer shot who wrote this episode!

I don't really get the hate many fans have for "That Old Gang of Mine." I'm in no way saying it was the best of Ats but IMO had one of my most favoured themes, and that is who is ok to kill in the Buffyverse. It touches on a lesson I think we as humans, and some fans, need to understand; humans aren't always superior or more worthy than other species. IMO it was great how it touched on the idea of Angel, a vampire, being better than a human. I've always had a problem with those who believe Angel's life, even with a soul, isn't worth as much as a human's life based on what he is unwillingly become. I think the episode definitely explored some great issues, and it's the last time we see Gunn's gang which is a big plus

Props also go to the guy that planned the annoying evil gang member. Out of every villain on Btvs and Ats he is the one I hated the most; props go to the actor for his wonderfully annoying portrayal of that character! I was so happy when he was decapitated!

Conviction Vs Deep Down

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Deep Down. Angst, sexy Wes saving Angel. Cordelia stuck in ascension hell. Fred and Gunn trying to run the agency and parent Angel. Conviction....could have used something, I'm not sure what. It was just so different from the series before, although I knew I should have expected it after Home.

And I agree about That Gang of Mine.

Waiting in the Wings vs. Reunion
              sigpic

Comment

Reunion. I'm a total cheeseball and really love Waiting in the Wings, if not just because I liked the ballerinas But I have to give it to Reunion, because well frankly, I'm a sucker for Dru and Darla! I find their scenes together strangely adorable, like when they're shopping. And I really liked the scene at the end where the gang is telling Angel that leaving the girls in the room with the W & H lawyers was wrong...

Harm's Way vs. Smile Time
                would you do anything for me

buy a new diamond ring for me

Comment

Harm's Way. Because Harmony is a riot and her and Fred being gal pals is super sweet. I also thought it was funny how she was trying to cover up the dead guy being in her bed and all. Harmony is great; I always liked eps with her and was glad she got to have a role an Angel. Smile Time is so odd; I like it well enough but it was so hyped--I think it might have killed it for me a little.

Billy vs. The Ring
                  sigpic

Comment

The Ring

Most of all, I love the ending with all three walking away from the fight club. It's one of those rare simple moments that they are all friends open with each other and not all the guilt and secrets of later years. lol, and their praising themselves for freeing all the demons is quite ironic.

But seeing Wes and Cordy have to work together despite their differences is hilarious and woot woot to my pretty palomino Keanu that she lost to the IRS!

Plus we're intro'd to Lilah! How can it not be loved?!!

I didn't pick Billy because this was one of those episodes that I felt was the beginning of the end. Especially with how Wes is unfairly bestowed with such guilt and effectively loses any chance with Fred due to his actions and subsequent guilt. If Billy hadn't infected Wes, then maybe Wes wouldn't have become so distant and been able to feel comfortable to share his Angel/Connor prophecies findings. So yeah, I kinda blame Billy.

Lullaby v. Five by Five

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

I'm going with Five by Five. Great writing in this episode. To see Faith go so balistic, take it out on Wesley, and then break down at the end was unexpected. Very great acting, especially on the part of Eliza Dushku.

Lullaby was entertaining, but I was never a big fan of Darla, so 5x5 wins out for me...

I Will Remember You vs. Sanctuary
                      sigpic

Comment

Sanctuary. It's the big Faith heads toward redemption ep. Seeing Buffy super pissed was fun as was watching Wesley dealing with his past as a watcher.

But that's just me. I prefer Faith over a Buffy/Angel weeper. IWRY is a good ep but I'm not big on all the B/A; that relationship was never an exciting one for me. :/

Belonging vs. Couplet
                        sigpic

Comment

Belonging for me. I love Lorne centric episodes and we get some Lorne history to boot. Also, some fairly funny Lorne family weirdness.

Couplet, not so much - I wasn't ever really a Groo fan and it seemed to me that a relationship with Cordy wasn't really in the cards, so Angel taking it all so seriously and getting all jealous just didn't do it for me.

Orpheus VS Release
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm going with Release. I really liked the action in this eppy, and faith drugging herself to fool Angelus was brilliant. I also like Wes filling the role of 'watcher' for her in this also... Orpheus was all right, but big pregnant evil Cordy really was a huge turnoff.

That Old Gang of Mine vs. Fredless
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm going to say Fredless for this one, First of all it was a Fred-centric episode which was great for me because shes probably my favourite character on Angel, Also it explored that emotions Fred felt about what happened and how if her parents never caught up with her she could deny the whole thing ever happened, Whilst the giant bug thing wasn't very good I thought the episode itself was, Roger and Trish (I think thats there names?) were quite funny too.

It was quite a hard decision between the two episodes, That Old Gang of Mine was a great episode too, I like the way it dealt with Gunn facing a part of his past and the way dealt with demons and how not all of them are murderous types and some just want to lead a relatively normal life. I hated that Gio guy.

Birthday vs You're Welcome

Battle 57: BlasterBoy vs. Alucard

Icon by the magnificent Wendy

Comment

That's a hard one. I'd lean towards Birthday, but only just- I do think You're Welcome is really beautiful but I can't quite escape from the fact it was CC's last ep and therefore the whole heart of the show was no more.
                                Plus, Cordy-wise, Birthday is a beautiful ep to sum up the beauty of Cordelia's character inclusive of all the facets of her character.

Waiting in the Wings v. A Hole in the World

Comment

A Hole in the World hands down. Though WItW was entertaining, AHITW is one of my favorite Angel eps of all time...with the exception of Angel's cheesy 'winifred burkle' line, I love everything about this episode, while hating it at the same time, if that makes sense. That acting was incredible, but the outcome was so bittersweet. Great eppy!

Forgiving vs. Sleep Tight
                                  sigpic

Comment

Forgiving Because I just can't fogive Wesley for taking Connor in Sleep Tight. I know he thought he had no choice and that he was misled and all. But still, he should've trusted one of the gang members and not just take Connor, good reasons or not. Forgiving is utterly heavy, not one to watch too often, but it's really good.

To Shansu in L.A. vs Not Fade Away

Comment

hmmmm.....I'll go Not Fade Away because it had some awesome moments in it. It felt kind of rushed but I thought it was a pretty series closer. TSIL isn't my fave ep. I haven't watched it YEARS so I may not be giving it a fair shot.

That Vision Thing vs. Dead End
                                      sigpic

Comment

I'm going with Dead End. I like this episode...especially Lindsey in the board room with his 'evil hand issues' LOL! I also loved Angel putting the Cops Suck sign on the back of his truck at the end of the eppy! Good times!

Blind Date vs. Untouched
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X