Stephen Mooney drawings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Mooney drawings

Angel artist Stephen Mooney started to do some commissions. He posts a picture of the drawings on his blog, and if people keep buying, we will see some awesome (because it's Mooney) drawings of our favourite characters.

This is not a commission but he posted it with his first post about it:

and the first commission:

Soon we can expect a Buffy/Faith piece.

his blog
    Last edited by Nina; 28-03-09, 01:08 PM.

Thanks for posting He was definitely my favourite 'After the Fall' artist.

I can't wait for his Buffy/Faith art

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Not my favourite of his drawings, I've the feeling that he needs some extra practice with the BtVS characters, but I love Giles' face-palm'.

His text:
      This one was a lot of fun to do, since I've never properly drawn either slayer before. I loved the dynamic between the girls in early season 3, where Giles was just struggling to maintain some semblance of order as the two egos clashed.
      That's how you introduce a new character in my book.
      Which slayer do I prefer? Gotta be Faith all the way. Never been a fan of the blondes.

Edit:
      I made it a tumbnail because it was a bit too big.
      Last edited by Nina; 29-03-09, 03:47 PM.

Comment

I think his Buffy is great, it's just his Faith that needs some work. I agree completely about what he said regarding their dynamic and love Giles' face palm as well! Thanks for bringing this over Nina.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Next:

Comment

And another Cordelia drawing:

Am I betraying some pathetic clichéd male fantasy by drawing this piece?
            Yes. Yes I am.
            Is there anything more perfect than Charisma in a cheerleading outfit? I think not, my friends.
            I still miss the high-school years of the show... GO RAZORBACKS!!

I love this one, it's maybe a bit looking like 'some pathetic clichéd male fantasy'. But it's looking perfect.

Comment

STOP ordering Cordelia drawings, people. Let's see a few other characters and add to the collection with Angel, Buffy and Faith.

But yes, I definitely think the cheerleader Cordy is the best one of her other than the montage. The one with the sword has flat hair that doesn't quite look right (it's also missing Charisma's birthmark on her cheek). Buffy has a great likeness... Faith isn't bad, but perhaps a little shadow-heavy. The face on Angel is overall my favorite (total unabashed bias), though the arms look a bit short (the elbows should be around the waist, not the ribcage) and overly bulgy for my liking.

It would be cool if someone got say... a Fanged Four drawing. Just don't look at me. I'm a cheapskate.
              Last edited by NileQT87; 02-04-09, 09:23 PM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
              "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Oh the Cordy cheerleader one rocks! The likeness is spot on, it's got that delightful Charisma sexy smile. Perfect stuff. Go Razorbacks! If that was coloured, I'd so be making a banner right now.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Mooney knows how to draw a very pretty Cordelia. I second NileQT87's desire for a fang-gang picture.

Or maybe some villain with defining, inhuman features like The Master or Adam?

Comment

And another Buffy one:

The main lady herself.
                    The client asked for an assured, season-seven era pose, ready to pop open a can of whoopass at a moments notice. Whether I managed that or not is anybody's guess...

Comment

Not my favourite drawing of his but still not bad at all. I think I may be judging too hard as he just seems to have someone like Cordy down so amazing. It's pretty hard to top. I liked his other Buffy better.

Where's everyone requesting these images?

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I actually prefer this one, it's a pity that the person asked for a season 7 Buffy, because SMG was really thin in that season, and you see it back in the piece. Where Cordelia looks healthy and curvy, Buffy is a bit unhealthy looking (really pointy at parts because it is just bones and muscles at places). If Buffy had a healthy body, it would look better I think. And I've the feeling that Cordelia is the character he draws best.

About the commissions:
                        Hey all!
                        I've just finished up on the latest Angel series, 'NOT FADE AWAY'. I'm pretty happy with how it came out, hopefully you guys'll dig it. I've decided to take on a (very)limited number of commissioned pieces during my downtime before the next book starts. For 100euro(about 130 dollars) you can have a fully pencilled and inked piece of your favourite character. Obviously I'll do whomever from the Buffyverse, but any and all requests are cool.
                        If you want to add a second character or a specific background to the piece, that'd be another 50 quid on top. Be as creative or adventurous as you like, but get the requests in sooner rather than later as I'll probably only do 5-10 before I get too busy.
                        My work email is [email protected], so send any requests there.
                        Thank you, and goodnight!

SEXY UPDATE: I forgot to mention, payment would be through paypal if that suited folks, otherwise we'd figure something out.
                        I'm too poor to do a request, but I enjoy looking at the ones he makes for others.
                        Last edited by Nina; 04-04-09, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the link Nina. Ah I didn't realise it was that sort of thing, I really don't have the money to buy anything at the moment I did think it was odd he was spending his time drawing sketches just out of fan request.

I didn't think the body was so much the problem with the Buffy picture. More her face. His Cordelia (aside from the one with the sword.. not as fond of that pic) looks identical to her. It's as good as any Jo Chen piece. The Buffy one is good, just not as good. If I stare real hard at it I can see Buffy, just not as easily I could at the Cordy picks where I know who it just with a glance. I def agree Cordy seems to be his best.

I wouldn't mind seeing him have a go at Xander or Willow.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I think that the face is alright, it's the hair, just like the one where Cordelia has really flat hair. Hair does a lot.

In one of the comments on his blog, he says he has at least one Fred/Illyria request. I've not heard of others yet. But it would suprise me if he didn't get a Willow or Xander request.
                            Last edited by Nina; 04-04-09, 01:54 PM.

Comment

You might be right about the hair, I agree that it does do a lot. Fred or Illyria would be good. Didn't he draw Wes' 'First Night' stories? She was absolutely fantastic in that.

I hope there’s a Xander or Willow in there just out of curiosity. You know who I wouldn’t mind seeing him have a crack at? Joyce. I think he could do a really warm glowing Joyce. The possibility of that seems pretty much non existent though because I can’t imagine someone asking for it, but I’d love to see it.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Yes, I also really enjoyed his Kate. (He did that one as well, didn't he?)

I doubt that there would be Joyce, I would love it as well. Sadly enough I think that we won't see any Joyce by the artists like Chen, Runge, Mooney or Garner. I would love it when they would make draw some dead characters, like Joyce ... but also Jenny, Darla or Doyle. I'm not sure why I want these characters, but I would love it.

There is somebody who commented on the Cheerleader Cordelia piece that he doesn't know the actress but that he thinks that she is anorexic. I don't see how Mooney's Cordelia looks anorexic, and Charisma would be one of the last actresses in the 'verse I would call anorexic.

Comment

I agree. She looks buff and well toned, certainly not anorexic. Charisma has one of the best bodies on TV. She’s always had a lot of nice curves, seems a really healthy weight and seems very athletic.

Yeah I would also love a Jenny, Darla and Doyle. A Jenny/Giles piece would be really nice. I wouldn’t even mind if he did a Buffy/Joyce/Dawn family portrait.

Mooney is definitely my favourite artist for Ats. I always thought it was a shame we didn’t get more of his work in ‘After the Fall.’ I prefer it a lot more than Franco’s work.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Well Alex Garner is my favourite cover artist, I think that his cover with Angel saluting is my favourite cover of both comic series. Still I'm not sure, Jo Chen had some really pretty ones as well.

But for the inside art, I hope that Mooney will be the artist after the Drusilla issues. Franco goes with Lynch to the Spike series, so Mooney can be the main artist for the Angel title. *hopes* Although if they can get John Byrne I wouldn't protest either, that man is amazing as well. I only saw the covers and previews of his mini-series, but it looks fantastic.

Comment

Eee. Shoulder blades. Clavicles. A drawing of season 7 Buffy was not a good idea. The drawing is a little too accurate on the physique.

The eyes and lips are good.

The revealing tank top choice was perhaps not a wise one. SMG started looking too skinny to me around season 4, IMO. She looked best in seasons 1 and 2. By far the healthiest-looking in season 1. The hair was horrendous in season 3 (chunky streaks!). Season 4 was the start of the severe dieting, bleaching (not a fan of that straightened light blonde hair), teeth whitening (it's blinding in IWRY) and tanning (I wasn't a fan of it in BB&B either). Season 7 was where SMG just looked sickly (she actually did have a cold for a while), tired and possibly anorexic.

I also hope that Mooney becomes the official Angel artist and Spike can have Urru. Mooney has some of the best character likenesses and is very consistent. Urru is consistent, but not terribly detailed or realistic (though much better than he was--especially when he stopped drawing comical proportions).

Byrne has also been a pleasant surprise. I love Blood & Trenches.

Runge is very good at cover art, but inside art is too much for him to do on a limited schedule (he appears to be a slower artist).

Garner and Chen are tied for me on realistic covers. AtF #16 wins as the best cover in either series.
                                      Last edited by NileQT87; 05-04-09, 06:03 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                                      "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

I agree that SMG looked better in the first three seasons, personally I think she looks her best in season three. I thought she was gorgeous and radiant that season, with a very healthy weight (check out how athletic she looks when she's training with Faith in ?Homecoming') and I thought her hair was sexy.

But I don't think she looked anorexic in any season. Yes she got very skinny, but a sibling of mine suffered from severe anorexia and no, SMG did not have it. If you think SMG was anorexic you haven't had to live with an anorexic person before. It's not even comparable.

I prefer her when she had a bit more weight on her but she was never, ever ugly.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Working...
                                        X