X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood & Trenches #1 - 5 page preview

Posted over at Whedonesque:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori.../idwfirsts.htm

Honestly, I think it looks awesome. I like it very much. It really does feel like a flashback that could fill in this blank period of Angel's life (Bum-Angel? WWI? 1910s NYC paperboy? Kaiser? Demon in a biplane? It's like my dream come true.) and the visual style goes with the era it takes place.

I like this shaded style of art, even if it's not colored except for the blood. It reminds me of the Numb comic in Tales of the Vampires--which by far and away was the best art I've ever seen in a comic.

Being that I'm a slave to all things flashbacks, this is right up my alley. I'm actually excited about this one.
    Last edited by NileQT87; 06-03-09, 10:23 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
    "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Oh I agree. I just adore the style of this and the very limited use of colour. Suits the subject matter brilliantly.

It's a must buy as far as I'm concerned just for the artwork alone.

Comment

Well drawn. And was that a vampire pilot? The teeth looked an awful lot like it.

Just hope they don't use the Evil Germans cliché, it's getting so bloody old...
      Last edited by Bloodsucker; 06-03-09, 02:06 PM.
      Sin is what I feast upon
      I'm forging my crematorium
      Your tomb is waiting here for you
      Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Well, this is World War One, so as cliche as the Evil German steriotype may be, in this situation it's kinda appropriate. Especially if some of them are vampires.

I'm more concerned with Angel actually making an effort to help people when at this stage in his life he wasn't supposed to be doing anything productive. To be honest, I thought the episode "Why We Fight" was kind of a stretch. This might be a fun read, but I don't think I'll be considering it canon.

I liked the art in the preview. I don't know if I think the voice feels like Angel though. I'll definetly be picking it up though.

When that paperboy called Angel a "sewer rat", I think it would have been kind of cool if Angel had vamped out and stole a newspaper, scaring the daylights out of the little snot.

Comment

Question:

So, is this considered canon as well? With all of the argumentation and debate of what is actually canon, does this add to the list? Is Aftermath considered canon?
          sigpic

-Sig by BlasterBoy-

Comment

Nope no canon, it's not part of the official title. Just an Angel comic like there were many in the past. Aftermath is part of the official title, but it doesn't have the canon stamp like ATF had. I think that Aftermath muist be seen as a possible story for canon and by far the closest we will get to canon because Jass is not interested in making an Angel story himself.

Interesting style of coloring, somehow it fits the time and story.

Comment

Originally posted by Vampire in Rug View Post
              I'm more concerned with Angel actually making an effort to help people when at this stage in his life he wasn't supposed to be doing anything productive.
              Yeah that made me scratch my head as well. I get that they need a good story and Angel sitting around and not wanting to help probably wouldn't translate well into a comic book, but the more and more you add into his past these "one off instances" where he did just that, the less and less impact episodes like 'Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been' or 'Becoming' have.

But as others have pointed out, it ain't canon so it doesn't really matter. It's just a fun IDW-fic.
              Last edited by vampmogs; 08-03-09, 05:51 AM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Something caused him to not want to help out during WWII. If something happened during WWI, it would make sense. And you don't actually see him helping any humans here. The humans he comes across are dead already. He only seems interested in the vampire troubles.

His issue in Why We Fight was not wanting to get involved with anything human. This plot seems to be him against vampires. It might even explain his unwillingness in Why We Fight to join a human war (even if he agrees with the side that wants him to help). Maybe something happens here to cause that unwillingness. It would actually fill up a huge plot hole.

Also, the paperboy is a nice call-out to the fact that Angel's 1943 apartment was loaded with newspapers chronicling the war.
                Last edited by NileQT87; 07-03-09, 03:08 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Something caused him to not want to help out during WWII.
                  His soul was making him depressed and antisocial. That's all the explanation we need. At that stage in his life (and for years afterwards) Angel was not good at interacting with people and he didn't have any inclination to try. Furthermore, wars are for humans, it didn't affect Angel one way or the other what was going on. He only became involved when he was forced into it. It's pretty logical why he acted the way he did during "Why We Fight."

His issue in Why We Fight was not wanting to get involved with anything human. This plot seems to be him against vampires. It might even explain his unwillingness in Why We Fight to join a human war (even if he agrees with the side that wants him to help). Maybe something happens here to cause that unwillingness. It would actually fill up a huge plot hole.
                  I appreciate where you're coming from, but I think calling it a plot hole is a bit much. That's like saying we need a miniseries explaining why Buffy is afraid of heights, because something traumatic in her past must have caused her to be afraid and to leave it unexplained is a plot hole. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I think it was perfectly sufficient to have Angel avoid WWII because (a) he's a vampire and (b) he's miserable.

As for interacting with humans vs fighting vampires, I'd argue that at this stage in his life, Angel was doing neither. Giles said he shunned the company of other vampires, he didn't go out at night to fight them. For Angel to read a newspaper and think "oh no, sounds like vampires! I better get my stake and get ready to kick some ass," well that just flies in the face of everything we know about his past. And it seems Angel was interacting with humans in the preview. He buys a newspaper from the kid and he drives a lorry full of people and then tries to lead the vampire-plane away from the people.

I'm sure this will be a fun read, but I don't think it's canon and I don't think we need to fanwank a reason for it to be.

Comment

I love Byrne's art here.

Comment

Well, this is World War One, so as cliche as the Evil German steriotype may be, in this situation it's kinda appropriate. Especially if some of them are vampires.
                      Right, let me specify a bit. There's a difference between viewing this from the American side (with Germany as an enemy country) and showing the Germans in general in an exaggeratedly negative way, as full of evil bloodlust etc. While I'm perfectly fine with seeing a war shown from one side's perspective, I find a complete black-and-white storytelling plain sickening.
                      And it's not because I happen to be German. I'd find a war story from German perspective that shows the Russians as nothing but animals just as flat and chauvinistic and stupid.

I'm fine with vampires being evil. I'm fine with a couple of nasty human characters of German origin. As long as it's not the whole nation.

Originally posted by NileQT87 View Post
                      Something caused him to not want to help out during WWII. If something happened during WWI, it would make sense. And you don't actually see him helping any humans here. The humans he comes across are dead already. He only seems interested in the vampire troubles.

That would be interesting to see - maybe no thanks for saving human lives but being hunted as a monster instead, and moreover seeing that there were atrocities committed by either side, that his effort hardly changed anything etc?

As for interacting with humans vs fighting vampires, I'd argue that at this stage in his life, Angel was doing neither. Giles said he shunned the company of other vampires, he didn't go out at night to fight them. For Angel to read a newspaper and think "oh no, sounds like vampires! I better get my stake and get ready to kick some ass," well that just flies in the face of everything we know about his past. And it seems Angel was interacting with humans in the preview. He buys a newspaper from the kid and he drives a lorry full of people and then tries to lead the vampire-plane away from the people.
                      That's what I wondered abut too: Angel the war hero? At this stage of his personal history? Nah. He didn't even hunt vampires. We know how low his self-esteem was, and that he hardly considered himselfa protector of mankind, rather the opposite. So what the hell is he doing there in the first place?

I'm sure this will be a fun read, but I don't think it's canon and I don't think we need to fanwank a reason for it to be.
                      Well, yes. As long as it's not declared canon, it migth just be plain OOC if the above questions aren't answered in a satisfactory way.
                      Sin is what I feast upon
                      I'm forging my crematorium
                      Your tomb is waiting here for you
                      Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Working...
                      X