Angel: Aftermath Issue 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel: Aftermath Issue 17

I'm sorry, no preview or the big version of the cover of Alex Garner. That one was hold back due spoilers for issue 16. But it's still not released, but if you have good eyes you can look at the small versions;

Brian already said that the Garner cover looked like a cover for season 8. They didn't knew that season 8 would do it as well. But also here a magazine cover as cover.

And like everybody already knew, wednesday is the release date.

Is the similar cover supposed to be the 'Harmonic Divergence' cover and the cover of Angel being photographed? I don't think there too similar that I feel like it's something I've seen before, but yeah, the concept behind it is the same. Which I actually think is rather cool.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Argh, I named the issue 'Aftermath' in the title of the thread. Grrr.

It wasn't suppose to be similar, but Garner was already busy with this coverwhen the Harmony cover was released. Both series had the same idea. I really want to see the big version of this one.

Who is the girl in the right corner? The one with Spike? Are Spider and Spike calling it quit?

Comment

To be honest it looks like Gwen but I'm not sure what on earth Spike/Gwen have to do with anything as you're absolutely right, usually when you see that in covers it symbolises a split of a celebrity couple. Maybe it's supposed to be a story on Gwen's betrayal and the falling out she and Spike have about it? "Shut up Spike"

Brian Lynch was actually speculating at Comic Con that perhaps Joss intentionally worked out Angel's storyline to work with season eight's as it was his idea to make Angel a celebrity.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

On Pat's blog you can read the text a bit (not until today I really noticed the photo with the new cover, I'm very quick *shakes head*). The first thing is about Illyria's diet. The second one is Gunn saying sorry. And I still can't read the text under Spike's photo, except "it's over". And you are right, she looks like Gwen, but I still think that it will be Spider.
          Last edited by Nina; 09-02-09, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
            Brian Lynch was actually speculating at Comic Con that perhaps Joss intentionally worked out Angel's storyline to work with season eight's as it was his idea to make Angel a celebrity.
            But Scott Allie didn't say in the Slayalive Q/A that what bring the vampire to the public was Harmony bitting Andy Dick?
            Sorry, I don't speak English.

Comment

Maybe for the rest of the world? Because the people in LA found out in ATF, which happens before Harmony bits Andy Dick. Angel and Spike saving people is still a very good reason for people to believe that vampires are good. More so than Harmony being cute and not dangerous.
              Last edited by Nina; 09-02-09, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Yeah I agree with Nina. The Andy Dick moment was the moment the whole world realised about vampires, but it had already been helped along by LA knowing about them and spreading the word.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Well this is going to make the most Spike fans happy;

The 'spider lady' part and Illyria's diet.

Is it me or does Spider look like Glory? And again, beautiful art by Garner. Too bad that this was his last cover.

Comment

Sorry but I can't see the difference between
                    The Andy Dick moment was the moment the whole world realised about vampires
                    and
                    ...but it had already been helped along by LA knowing about them and spreading the word

If the worlddiscoverred the vampires in ATF, Harmony bitting wouldn't be nothing less than a celebrity attacked and her her after show.
                    Is it me or does Spider look like Glory?
                    Yeah, totally.

Comment

Originally posted by jj.bsb View Post
                      Sorry but I can't see the difference between and .
                      If the worlddiscoverred the vampires in ATF, Harmony bitting wouldn't be nothing less than a celebrity attacked and her her after show.
                      The way I saw it Harmony made it global whereas LA was more localised. I think it'd take quite a while for the rest of the world to actually believe what anybody in LA was saying- the same way they tried their hardest not to believe that something odd was going on in Sunnydale. Remember the lame laryngitis excuse for what happened in 'Hush' or even worse, "a city wide hoax?" It's always been a pretty big part of the Buffyverse that people try and oppress what they cannot understand. Joyce did it for years, even Buffy said she should start worrying about it in 'Bewitched, Bewildered & Bothered' and Willow's mum did it in 'Gingerbread' after nearly burning her own daughter at the stake. And LA? Well they did it after the sun was blocked out.

Harmony would be no news to LA so that’s one major city who already knew about vampires and with Harmony caught on camera, people all over the world would then believe what happened in LA.
                      Last edited by vampmogs; 10-02-09, 02:01 PM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Yeah, remember that line in issue 16;

"I called my mum in San Diego, she said I'm nuts."

The people in LA know it now, but nobody outside LA will believe it. But I don't think that LA will deny it now, look at the cover for this issue. Demons are hot news.

Comment

But shouldn't be hard to prove it.
                          They already now about the alley fight, could search some demons/demons bodies and a whole huge city suffering for mass delusion will be, at least, a cause for National security investigation and suspection of poison terrorism.
                          Here in Brazil we know that Travolta and Cruise have some unorthodoxy beliefs, so if all L.A. starts to claim being dragged to hell, the world will look at it.

Comment

Well scientology is not something like 'vampires are real', that people believe something is easy to believe but when people trying to tell you that demons and vampires are real, it's another case.

Doesn't change that it would make sense if people did start believing it. (Isn't Lorne still the mayor?) In that case Scott Allie was wrong but he is not reading ATF or caring what happens in that comic, and that's fine. As long the writers do know what happens in the other comic. And it's not like the tv shows were always the same, everybody believes in Jasmine but Sunnydale is Jasmine-free and other things like that.

Comment

Sunnydale wasn't Jasmine free cause they hadn't tv (no power) at that time?

Comment

I can't remember that, but it doesn't really matter because it was just one example. The series were almost never sharing a story and many times things were happening on one show and the other show didn't even notice it. You would think that blotting out the sun would've been noticed by some people outside LA etc.

To go back to the point;
                                LA found out about demons a year (?) before Harmony became famous, and if it was Harmony who made the demons worldfamous, we have to deal with the idea that only LA believes in demons and vampires.

Comment

Hilarious cover, especially Illyria's diet.
                                  Sin is what I feast upon
                                  I'm forging my crematorium
                                  Your tomb is waiting here for you
                                  Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                                    I can't remember that, but it doesn't really matter because it was just one example. The series were almost never sharing a story and many times things were happening on one show and the other show didn't even notice it. You would think that blotting out the sun would've been noticed by some people outside LA etc.
                                    I agree with you the stories didn't match or Scott Allie is wrong I was just remembering, what I think, was the excuse to the Sunnydale ? Jasmine thing. However my English fall at some place.

Comment

This concluding chapter of "Angel: After the Fall" was a moderately paced and introspective piece that causes one not just to reflect on the miniseries, but the "Angel" franchise as a whole.

This is probably the best script Lynch has given us, and all the characterization felt cleaner than at any point previously -- it was never weak, but here is where, at last, it felt just like watching an episode of the show.

The central feature is definitely the apparent conclusion to Angel and Spike as enemies who just tolerate each other. A lot of this work was done when they united to try to save Fred in Season 5, but here we actually have reached real mutual respect. I, for one, am happened that this happened with no direction mention of Buffy, although I was very pleased that it's implied that they're both just sort of over fighting about her (perhaps they both have written it off?). Spike gets a great line -- "even emo albums have a few peppy songs".

Angel and Nina appear not to have changed much, which is ironic when juxtaposed with what Angel's saying in that scene -- she is still clearly nuts about him and he is ambivalent toward her but happy to have her company.

I really liked the switch from Angel thinking about facing Gunn to Burge yelling at him. Gunn is Angel's Klingon Bastard, but Angel is Burge's.

The library name was very nice.

Question -- am I correct in assuming that it's not that Gwen *can't* be touched now (LISA should be working again)? She can be touched, just didn't feel like being touched by Nate?

Was Angel leaving the card for Lorne as well as Gunn? A peace offering of sorts, an apology for what he made Lorne do?

This issue really took "Angel" back to a very Season 1 feel for me -- it was again up for grabs that Angel was a good guy trying to do good but always living with the fear of being far more dangerous. In Season 1, he walked a fine line, according to Wes, and repeatedly reminded Cordy and Wes that they had to be ready to kill him if needed. Spike saying that calls back to that time. At the same time, the conversation raising the question that Spike still might *be* the guy (I'm not sure if either of them actually think that, though) takes us back to that "To Shanshu in L.A." time when we were only just learning about this and didn't know the details.

The last page was the best of the series for me -- Angel walking away. Down the street, not down an alley. Not toward a foggy, steamy dark, but toward lights and the connection to humanity that Doyle showed up to make sure he had. But with the same determination and sense of purpose. Only weakness would have been a callback to "I'm game" might have been nice.

There is an argument to be made, without disrespecting the fun of this series, that "Angel" should have stopped with "Not Fade Away". And I don't know if I disagree completely. But, as soon as Season 8 was announced, the ending of "Not Fade Away" was already broken. Had IDW done nothing at all, not made "Angel: After the Fall", the fact of Season 8 would have required SOME resolution of what happened after "Not Fade Away". So, to ask "should they have just stopped?" isn't an important question. To borrow from the issue itself, it's not a question of what "mistakes" are made (if for this purpose one were to think that any Buffyverse continuation after "Not Fade Away" was a mistake), but rather of what the writers and artists and Joss do about them. In this case, having been able to bring "Angel" full circle to the uncomplicated story of a vampire with a past of known evil and a future with more possible evil trying to do good, we can say that "Angel: After the Fall" atones quite well for daring to succeed "Not Fade Away". Angel, Spike, Illyria, Nina, Connor, Gwen and the others are all richer, more interesting characters for having been in this story. That's the real measure of success in writing the Buffyverse.
                                      Last edited by KingofCretins; 11-02-09, 07:03 PM.
                                      sigpic
                                      Banner by LRae12

Comment

Beautiful issue (why are there almost no comments here?), I'm not sure what I liked the most about this issue. I think that Angel learned of his mistakes in 'Forgiving' and actually forgives Gunn instead of attacking him.

I'm stillnot sure about a big floating fish in the 'verse (well there was also a talking hamburger and treepeople but okay.) but Beta George is awesome. His line about Spike's car being crap and that Spike gets a new audio instalation if he can make a photo of Angel in Spike's car. ) The whole conversation between Angel and Spike was amazing, already the first lines were made of pure win.

Wow, after many crappy Nina drawings was this a pleasant change. She looked beautiful. Loved to see her and I hope that she will be in the new stories as well. Even if they won't continue their romance, they are a nice couple so friendship would work as well.

Poor Loan Shark, he is killed. I loved the demon in the trunk as well.

Illyria is figuring herself out, I'm curous what she will do the next issues. And Lorne was very quiet, I guess that this wasn't his arc. Hope to see him around in the future. Loved the Silverlake board.

And I don't watch The Office but love that Jeremy (who is based on Jim) could ask his girlfriend to marry him. And that his girlfriend looks like Pam.

I think that this is my favourite issue of all.

Comment

Working...
                                        X