Oh god! Where are my socks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh god! Where are my socks?

What episodes of AtS knocked your socks off? Why?

And do you agree/disagree with the choices of others. Perhaps one person's sock-knocker is another person's suckfest?

My favourite AtS episodes (at least that come immediately to mind) are:

Smile Time - pure joy, pure sick, sick, joy. I don't think I can ever erase the memory of the line, "I'm gonna rip you a new puppethole, bitch." Threats don't come weirder or scarier than that, imo.

Damage - now THAT is what Lies My Parents Told Me should have been. It encapsulates Spike's moral journey thus far, and gives him a genuine insight into who he's been and where he is at now. It's honest, brutal, and it feels very satisfying to watch. After all the waffling on in season 7 about Spike's soul, that seemed to be his soul in action - he truly understands the weight of what his demon side has caused. Also, Dana rocks. I love the scene where she's getting changed in the shop - the badass music, especially. Slayers can be scary too. The exploration of what a monster is is brilliant.

Orpheus - I love a good mind-bending episode. Whether it's dreams, visions or magic drugs - especially if we get to see someone struggling between parts of themselves. Here, literally. And the choice of Faith as spirit guide is inspired. Buffy gets Tara (in Restless), Angel gets Faith. Hmm, I wonder if there's an essay on that somewhere? Also, the business with Wes and Willow competing over who went darker adds some great comic relief. That is in Orpheus, right? I cant remember if Willow stuck around for a couple of eps now I think about it...

The whole "Over the Rainbow" arc, which I basically see as one ep - ok, that's cheating, but they do blend together. I love the Pylea exeat, seeing Lorne on his home turf, and Angel transformed in various ways. Also, Angel looking in a mirror is priceless, and I think my favourite moment in the Jossverse is probably the "dance of joy" episode. Maybe. Hmm... well, it's up there anyway.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

I like those episodes, especially Smile Time. It's my favourite funny episode in the 'verse. But the episodes that that are the sock-knockers for me are;

Reprise, the last scenes alone are more depressing than BtVS season 6. It's the only episode where I really felt the desperation of a character. Watching Angel walk out of the elevator and go home is the most chilling scene on tv ever. The elevator scene -> the sex scene, is probably the best 10 minutes on Ats.

Not Fade Away, funny how much more hopeful this ending was than the Buffy ending, while that one ended in the sun. Those 4 warriors in the rain waiting for their last battle. It was weirdly hopeful. I love ATF and will read all the canon Ats comics with joy (I hope), but NFA was the perfect ending for Ats. It just was.
    Nina
    and her haircut.
    Last edited by Nina; 13-01-09, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
      Damage - now THAT is what Lies My Parents Told Me should have been. It encapsulates Spike's moral journey thus far, and gives him a genuine insight into who he's been and where he is at now. It's honest, brutal, and it feels very satisfying to watch. After all the waffling on in season 7 about Spike's soul, that seemed to be his soul in action - he truly understands the weight of what his demon side has caused. Also, Dana rocks. I love the scene where she's getting changed in the shop - the badass music, especially. Slayers can be scary too. The exploration of what a monster is is brilliant.
      Couldn't agree more. The episode really tackled some issues I had, had with Spike ever since 'Lies My Parents Told Me' and was pretty brave in facing them. It showed him at what I consider to be his most ugliest side with his complete indifference and unsympathetic attitude towards what Dana had been through, but at the same time made me really start to respect him after he grows by the end of the episode. It pushed all the right buttons, generally I think Ats has a far better handle of redemptive arcs aside from the occasional exception.

Can't say I agree with some of your others though Wolfie! I love the themes behind the Pylean arc but it's just too campy to me, too overboard, too Xena, I just can't take it seriously at all, it's just really not my cup of tea! And I do enjoy 'Orpheus' but the only that really bugs me is how Angelus is written, they completely sucked out all the creepiness that made him so great and left behind this big doof which I didn't love.

Loved 'Smile Time' though I definitely agree with you and Nina on that (though Dopplegangland is my all time favourite Buffyverse comedy episode) I thought it was superb, a real treat.

Other episodes that knocked my socks of;

Not Fade Away- A brilliant finale, I completely agree with everything Nina said. The only scene I don't really enjoy in the episode is the Angel/Lindsey scene, it just bores me for some reason, but I *love* everything else. One scene that never really gets the attention it deserves IMO is when Angel and Harmony talk at the beginning of the episode about what it's like to be human. Mercedes really does a fantastic job here, I love her whimsical delivery of "But I do remember.. my heart, and the way it'd be when I kissed a really hot boy for the first time, that was cool." I'd bet money on it Joss wrote that scene, it had a very old school Btvs vibe to it.

Waiting in the Wings- I agree with Fred's assessment of the evening, it had a really "magical" feel to the whole thing. It was kind of surreal seeing them all dressed up and it seemed like that a lot of effort was put into every aspect of that episode, a very special one indeed.

Darla- I know Joss said that he's a major fan of the twisted vampire logic here when Darla spats "Whilst Spike- Spike was out killing a slayer, you were out saving missionaries, from me." it's one of the best deliveries ever, how can she make that sentence sound as if Angel did something so terrible, it's really quite amazing.

Spin the Bottle- The end of the episode is kind of depressing because it was such a fun escape from the dreary reality of what was actually going on, so it was really bittersweet but really quite fun. It had some really great (even if controversial) lines, especially Angel/Liam's "I'm rooting for the slave!" (Gunn) and I loved seeing bitch Cordy again and poncy Wes.

You're Welcome- *Loved* this episode, and again, very, very bitter sweet. I still get very teary eyed in Cordy's final scene and her final line "oh and you're welcome" is probably one of my favourite pieces of dialogue in the entire verse, as is Charisma's extraordinary delivery of it. She's truly exceptional in that finale scene. I don't think there's anything else she could have said that could have so perfectly encapsulated everything you needed to say about her character, and how much Angel in particular owes that character.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I forgot two episodes;

Reunion, finally we meet Darla the way she used to be. Evil, smart, beautiful, strong and a great team with Drusilla. And the scene where Angel locks up the lawyers with Darla and Dru is one of the most iconic scenes I ever saw.

Lullaby, it's such a beautiful episode. You have no idea if the little boy gets born and what happens. It has really funny parts (nobody wants to sit next to Darla) and Angel kicking the granate to his mouth and escaping is a very cool trick. The scene between Darla and Angel on the roof is one of the most beautiful filmed scenes and the actual birth is so amazing. Fred sitting there with Angel's coat next to Darla and Angel who kisses her hand. No cheese or drama, just beauty.

and now I'm going to cheat;

some scenes that knock my socks off;

Connor getting his memories back when he is fighting Sahjan. That was a great fight and I was happy to see him beating Sahjan.

The last scene in 'Forgiving'. Forgiving is a great episode with beautiful scenes, but the last scene is the best of all. You think that Angel is going to forgive Wesley but instead he tries to kill him. So powerfull and real.

Cordelia & Angel's last scene, I like the episode but it's not a knocking my socks off episode. But the last scene is amazing.

And maybe the greatest scene of all;
        Connor talking to Cordelia in 'Peace out'.

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
          Couldn't agree more. The episode really tackled some issues I had, had with Spike ever since 'Lies My Parents Told Me' and was pretty brave in facing them. It showed him at what I consider to be his most ugliest side with his complete indifference and unsympathetic attitude towards what Dana had been through, but at the same time made me really start to respect him after he grows by the end of the episode. It pushed all the right buttons, generally I think Ats has a far better handle of redemptive arcs aside from the occasional exception.

Can't say I agree with some of your others though Wolfie! I love the themes behind the Pylean arc but it's just too campy to me, too overboard, too Xena, I just can't take it seriously at all, it's just really not my cup of tea!
          It's the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously that I love. AtS can err on the pompous, but this arc takes us into pantomime land (I love panto), a topsy-turvy version of the world we're used to on the show. Also...Wizard of Ozness! Love it.

And I do enjoy 'Orpheus' but the only that really bugs me is how Angelus is written, they completely sucked out all the creepiness that made him so great and left behind this big doof which I didn't love.
          I never really thought of him as that creepy, except his "raping you to death" line about Fred. On the whole, I found him quite an OTT villain on Buffy, so this meshed with my picture of him.

Comment

I'm amazed that nobody's yet mentioned "Are you now, or have you ever been". A superb episode on all fronts.
            sueworld
            Banned
            Last edited by sueworld; 13-01-09, 01:14 PM.

Comment

You're right! I always forget that episode, but it's one of my favourites. It's indeed one of the greatest episodes.

Comment

One episode that I always forget to mention and kinda gets meshed into the whole Dark Angel arc is Redefinition. I really enjoy the episode but why it knocks my socks off is the part where Angel sets Darla and Dru on fire. When Darla says "That wasn't Angel...wasn't Angelus either...who was that?"

That sent chills down my spine, that someone so entwined with both Angelus and then Angel when she was brought back; could not recognize Angel...it just freaked me out, I had no idea what Angel was going to do or how he was going to find his way back, that was when I knew Angel was truly lost.

And Julie's delivery of the lines is what makes it even more superb.

Comment

I loved "I’ve Got You Under My Skin". The creepy atmosphere. The feeling that it left you. I think one never forgets that episode after seeing it. I actually would have liked that topic - a human born without a soul - being discussed later, too. Even thinking about that epi makes me feel sort of uneasy.
                  sigpic
                  banner by litzie avatar by diane

Comment

Thought people may be interested in reading this, it's a reviewer's top 25 Ats episodes, and the top 5 worst ones...

http://armchairc.blogspot.com/2008/1...-episodes.html

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I can find myself in that list, only not in the season 4 & Tomorrow hate. Tomorrow is maybe not the best episode ever, But I don't think that it deserves to be anywhere near the 5 worst episodes.

Comment

Yeah I was actually surprised when I first started reading the list because a lot of my favourites were popping up, as well as some of the ones I didn't like very much. But I agree, I don't hate season four, I love season four.

But I must admit, I've always enjoyed 'Provider' even if it made Angel and the gang come off as very greedy.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I hardly agree with any of that list - and strongly disagree with much of it! For instance, my worst ever Angel ep is his number two best. I think he has his brains on backwards

Comment

As I said before, I?m rewatching Angel at the moment, so my list might change. But here are my surprises, who knocked my socks off:

Reprise
                            Epiphany
                            Smile Time
                            Deep Down
                            Home
                            To Sanshu in LA
                            Darla
                            Reunion

Comment

Originally posted by missperoxide View Post
                              I loved "I've Got You Under My Skin". The creepy atmosphere. The feeling that it left you. I think one never forgets that episode after seeing it. I actually would have liked that topic - a human born without a soul - being discussed later, too. Even thinking about that epi makes me feel sort of uneasy.
                              Thank you for bringing this one up, I really like this episode too, I remember being very disturbed when that evil demon talked about the boy...very creepy indeed.

Comment

I just saw Sleep Tight and boy, was I shocked! I ended the episode in total disbelief and with the notion that things are gonna get worse and worse.

About the list of the worst and best episodes of Angel, I agree with Tomorrow. What I hate more about it is the ascension of Cordelia, done in a very cheesy way. A bad way to end the season. And I agree with most of his choices and the list for best episodes are very similar to mine.

Comment

i loved "i will remember you"

added another layer to angel's inner torment... not only does he have to live with the evil he has done, but he also has to deal with the fact he'll never be happy and with the person he loves... there is no escaping his "curse" but is willing to serve his destiny.

not fade away; others have explained why it's so great

sleep tight: huge gear shift... wesley snatches connor, holtz takes connor... drama heaven. i felt like this episode just went to places no other show had.

Lullaby: if not just for connor's non-birth

A Hole in the World: felt like a horrific car crash that wouldn't end... from fred's singing you are my sunshine, to the panic that ensues, from learning knox's motives to the eventual demise of the most liable and innocent character. whedon knows how to kick his viewers by attacking the most innocent and lovable characters and he does it with brute force in this one... i almost felt drop-jawed while watching it the first time.

Comment

I'll nominate Destiny, along with several named already. It addressed a lot of the issues between Angel and Spike.
                                    Sin is what I feast upon
                                    I'm forging my crematorium
                                    Your tomb is waiting here for you
                                    Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

I'd say 'A Hole in the World'. It contains one of my favourite moments in all of TV, when Fred dies and Illryia 'awakes'. The total shift in character is sucha brilliant example of Amy Ackers talent as an actor, and Joss Whedons talent as a director. The only thing you see of Illyria in that episode is the 'This will do' line, but due to the way it was done, it was so easy to tell that the whole 'game' just changed completely.

The rest of the episode is a pretty sweet insight into all the other characters as well. Especially Lorne, when he threatens to kill Eve... I think it was in that episode, anyway.
                                      My skills are as varied as they are impractical.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsucker View Post
                                        I'll nominate Destiny, along with several named already. It addressed a lot of the issues between Angel and Spike.
                                        Ditto. Can't get enough of a decent bit of Spangel interaction at the best of times.

Also for the choreography which I though was truly inspired.

Comment

Working...
                                        X