So now I'm trying to be a grown-up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So now I'm trying to be a grown-up.

LORELAI: You know the one thing that grown-ups don't call themselves?

RORY: What?

LORELAI: Grown-ups. They say "adults," and they pronounce it as "ah-dults."

RORY: It stinks!

LORELAI: Oh, it really stinks.
    The big theme of Ats is them being real adults now. No longer hiding in the shadows, doing what the counsil says or caring only about clothes and make up.

They entered the real world incl. evil lawyers. Tim Minear said in the commentary of the episode 'Home', that them making a deal with W&H is another metaphor for growing up. It was the moment where you become a part of the real world and must try not to lose your own believings and morals. Actually you can see the whole 'being a grown-up' process in the series. The cast in season 1 was not more than a couple of people who faced the world for the first time, full of dreams and good intentions. Season 5 was a season where they were stuck in the big evil world while fighting to keep their dreams or get them back after losing them.

This thread is not about change and maybe not even development. But about growing up and being an adult now. Do you think that all the characters are adults now? Or did some characters fail the test?

Because I was thinking about Wesley who ended up as a complete different person. He changes so much, but did he grow up? Is the Wesley in season 5 the adult version of the Wesley we met in BtVS season 3? Is he the character who grew up to be the bitter adult. Or is Wesley still a kid running from the truth? The one who thinks that he is a grown-up but deep down never became an adult.

And Lorne, running from his past and always trying to fix it with a drink and a song. While putting his hands before his ears and say la-la-la-I don't hear you. Was Fred's death followed by him killing Lindsay the moment he was forced to accept that he is no longer a grown-up but an adult. And is that why he returned to his friends in ATF? Or is that just who Lorne is and was he already an adult when we met him?

Season 5 seems the season where the characters are forced to accept that being a grown-up is not enough but that they have to be adults.

So, who really became an adult and who are still grown-ups?

------------------
    I made a terrible poll, the last option is of course the kiss of death for the poll. *shakes head*
    Angel
    19.44%
    Cordelia
    13.89%
    Doyle
    0.00%
    Wesley
    36.11%
    Gunn
    2.78%
    Fred
    0.00%
    Lorne
    8.33%
    Connor
    0.00%
    Spike
    0.00%
    Faith
    5.56%
    Somebody else
    2.78%
    I want to vote for more than one character.
    11.11%
    Last edited by Nina; 16-12-08, 10:33 PM.

Angel, in the end. He's been through more than anyone else, and you can't just shake that off.
    Sin is what I feast upon
    I'm forging my crematorium
    Your tomb is waiting here for you
    Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

I think Wesley. He was the most responsible, and never let himself go to childish behaviour... Okay, sometimes he did, but not as much as Angel or Spike.
      What? You?ve taught a psycho killer demon how to be human by making him watch Sex and the City?

1.02 Never been kissed OUT NOW/ 1.03 Damned by the bell COMING SOON

Comment

This was hard. IMO, it was between Lorne and Faith.

And I went with Faith. I know, probably the least popular decision. Ever.

Angel, Spike, and Wesley are not great "adults" yet, I'd say. Angel and Spike are bickering at the end of the season (Angel was more adult like earlier in the series), and their need to be better than the other is extremely immature. Wesley goes crazy with anger, such as in "Shells", where he casually shoots Knox. That is not mature, at all. I understand his actions, though. Also, his need to understand in "Time Bomb" is also a bit immature. Again, I completely understand Wesley's actions, but this doesn't make him extremely adult-like.

Faith because she's extremely selfless the last time we see her in Angel. She practically sacrificed her life to stop Angelus, a completely adult-like decision, cause mostly "adults" are more selfless. Just sayin' She doesn't get extremely annoyed with Connor yelling at her, she just sets him straight and tells him how it is. I think she could have done a lot worse, making those actions immature. But she acted extremely mature in all of Season 4.

Comment

Yes, I can see where joining Wolfram and Hart could qualify as a metaphor for making an Adult Decision. As far as adults go, I would have to go with Faith. She has screwed up, sinned, whatever, but has learned to forgive herself and continue with her life. Wesley saw that in her, that he could trust her to save Angel because that was the right thing to do. Is Wesley grown up, I don't think Wesley ever had a childhood in the first place. I think Gunn is the same way, killing vampires at 12. What they both fell in love with when they looked at Fred was the wonderful relationship she had with her parents. Not that Fred wasn't desirable in and of herself but because she was an ideal of what they both lacked.
          Angel is definitely growing up. Conner is horribly wounded but he takes care of the mission first.
          Wesley, in Angel after the fall, although he is dead, moves past his obsessive love for Fred, and learns to concentrate on his job, helping and/or "watching Angel".
          Someways, Cordelia, when she had the conversation with Wesley, that some people are meant to be alone. With the mission the Fang Gang had, to be on the front line of the war, it was better to be alone.

Comment

Wow, this is hard, but I noticed someone mentioned Faith and I think that's probably right.

Originally posted by BlasterBoy
            Faith because she's extremely selfless the last time we see her in Angel. She practically sacrificed her life to stop Angelus, a completely adult-like decision, cause mostly "adults" are more selfless. Just sayin' She doesn't get extremely annoyed with Connor yelling at her, she just sets him straight and tells him how it is. I think she could have done a lot worse, making those actions immature. But she acted extremely mature in all of Season 4.
            Pretty much agree with all you say here. She showed not just change, but change for the good, and in my book, that makes you an adult.

Comment

Faith had to grow up and make amends for her past, her sins. And it was her choice to give herself up to the police. Wesley always had to grow up, and the hard way.

Comment

Wesley - for as young as he may be has always seemed the more Adult of the series. And although Angel makes big sacrificial decisions, Wesley's decisions seem more personal and show more depth of character.
                -TP<3
                "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Working...
                X