Darla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darla

I am enjoying the darla arc so far. I can't believe Angel just closed the doors and let those people die! It felt very weird to me. He fired everyone on his team. Now he is teaming up with this girl anne? I hope it doesn't stay splintered like this for long. Lorne seems like he going to be fun for the show and Gunn now seems like he is part of the show. But no angel with them is odd. Not sure where this is going?

I envy you, soon you will see Reprise/Epiphany one of my favourite two parters ever. Actually, you're at the point where Ats really became a good series. I hope that you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

Comment

I actually didn't like this season as much as 1,3 and 5 but it has some good parts, but I didn't enjoy the Darla arc that much. I love Lorne, he is very fun especially as he has bought us Angel's singing I love the ending of Season 2 though so if you are a fan of the humour in the show I'm sure you will like it too.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm kinda envious, too. I miss the feeling of seeing all of it for the first time.

My opinion is and always will be that there's no such thing as too much Julie Benz. I don't necessarily like everything they did with Darla's character, but she carries it all off really well. The S2 Darla arc is some of the best stuff in that season.

Angel goes some very dark places in S2, to be sure. I always feel like S2 in particular is kinda fractured as a season, like they weren't quite sure where to go with the series and were working it out as they went. But they end up with several really good episodes when it's all said and done.
        Cordially,
        Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
        Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Season 2 had some of the greatest eps in the Buffyverse...such a large number of them actually. But overall there were a lot of missed opportunities in the story-arc...Drusilla's disappearance, Angel not being dark for long enough, the Pylea arc kinda coming out of nowhere and not being as interesting as the rest of the season (though not a bad lil adventure for the gang). There were a lot of great ideas but some of them didn't reach full potential, IMO.

Darla's arc was definitely one of, if not the, strongest things about the season - I love Julie Benz in the character and how Darla's always evolving. I'm really glad Joss and co. decided to bring her back. Darla was almost a better episode than it's beloved counterpart Fool For Love

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts. I guess he will come out of it soon from what you say. I liked season 1 because it gave us Angel but season 2 seems more meaty. The martial arts is amazing! Humor, monsters, fighting, mythology!!! I here this is the guys version of Buffy.Is this true? The fights suprised me alot! As a martial arts teacher I had no idea they where this involved and well done. No offense to you who watch the show but Buffy seems winey and self obsorbed. I like Faith though. Was Faith in buffy much? As a fan of firefly I see the writing is very close on this show. It sounds like I have alot to look forward to as well. I here alot of people hated season 4. Why is this?
            I actually didn't like this season as much as 1,3 and 5
            So season 3 is better? COOL!
            Do they ever talk more about what happened when angel escaped the vampire hunter? Kate seems to be in the show less and less I noticed. Anne was not very suprised that angel was a vampire or to see a demon, will we find out why? See more of her past? Thanks to all.

Comment

Have you ever seen Buffy? If not, you really, really should

Some people say this is the "guy"'s version of Buffy, but I disagree. Just cause the protagonist is male does not make it the "guy version". IMO, it's darker, but that's not necessarily more "guy like show".

Faith was in Buffy Season 3 a lot, two episodes in Season 4, and in Season 7. And Buffy was REALLY obnoxious in "Angel", but she is much better in her own series (though the older she gets, the more annoying she gets LOL!).

Some people hate Season 4, some people love it. Without giving too much away, I love it!!!!! I love Season 2 more, but I also love Season 4. It's harder to follow, much more mythos, darker, etc. Those are some of the reasons I love it I love a complex story, but that's just me. I hope I didn't give anything away

When Angel escaped the vampire hunter? Which vampire hunter?

Kate is in the show less, yes, but she'll be prominently featured in the upcoming two-parter!

Anne was originally in a Buffy episode. It was Buffy 3.01 "Anne" Yes, that was the title of the episode. Watch that eppy

You're so lucky to be watching through the whole series with minimal spoilers. I didn't get that luxury. STAY AWAY FROM SPOILERS! It's better if you go through it and experience the shocks as they happen. Happy watching!

Comment

The first appearance of "Anne Steele" was when she was Chanterelle, one of the vampire wannabes at the Sunset Club, way back in Lie To Me (2x07), not Anne (3x01). And you haven't seen the last of her.

Aw, to not have seen the episodes a hundred times. Must be fresh. LMAO.
                Last edited by NileQT87; 22-11-08, 08:10 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Some people say this is the "guy"'s version of Buffy, but I disagree. Just cause the protagonist is male does not make it the "guy version". IMO, it's darker, but that's not necessarily more "guy like show".
                  So how close are two then? I like firefly and this. I have been told buffy is women. I know that some shows have female leads but are made for both men and woman like the show Dark ANgel was with jessica alba.

Faith was in Buffy Season 3 a lot, two episodes in Season 4, and in Season 7. And Buffy was REALLY obnoxious in "Angel", but she is much better in her own series (though the older she gets, the more annoying she gets LOL!).
                  Would like to see more faith. How is Buffy diffrent in her own show? They have the same writer so that strikes me as odd.

When Angel escaped the vampire hunter? Which vampire hunter?
                  It was him and darla. SHe pushes him down in a stable and says if you make it meet up with me later. Angel does get away from the guy but they never show us how.
                  I realy like the flash back stuff.

The first appearance of "Anne Steele" was when she was Chanterelle, one of the vampire wannabes at the Sunset Club, way back in Lie To Me (2x07), not Anne (3x01). And you haven't seen the last of her.
                  So she is a crossover like oz and spike. HMMM. I starting to wonder if i'm missing somthing from not watching buffy? Oz,Spike,Faith,Anne, all from buffy? Is Darla a crossover as well? Buffy just seems so self centered. I think i saw the movie and didn't like very much but I don't remember it that well. It is cool to have this new show to watch. Very cool to have you people to share it with. THanks for being out here. If you have any cool angel sites please pass them my way.
                  Last edited by Ehlwyen; 23-11-08, 06:49 AM. Reason: added quote tags

Comment

Stop watching AtS for a moment and try to watch at least the first 3 seasons of BtVS... It should fill you in on Angel's backstory a bit (particularly regarding Angelus). Also, where Darla came from should make better sense. Ditto with the relationships between Darla, Angel, Drusilla and Spike--at least to see more interactions among them and where those characters were introduced.

Angel, Wesley, Cordelia, Darla, Drusilla, the Master, Buffy, Anne, Oz, Spike, Faith, Willow, Andrew and Harmony are all originally from BtVS, but appear or star in AtS.

BtVS also makes a reference to AtS's Fred and a bit of the plot of Orpheus in Dirty Girls. Giles and Buffy are occasionally mentioned on AtS. Also season 4 BtVS and season 1 AtS had a few crossovers that led directly into each other. Fool For Love and Darla are sister episodes with two sides of the same flashbacks going on. One side focuses on Spike and Drusilla and the other focuses on Darla and Angel(us). BtVS season 7 also relies heavily on events from AtS season 4.

The Faith stuff in particular is something you should see BtVS season 3 for--Wesley's introduction and fall from grace with the Watchers' Council is also there. Season 2 BtVS is Angel(us), Spike and Drusilla--and a very memorable clip of Liam and Darla. Season 1 BtVS has Angel, Darla and the Master. Cordelia was originally introduced as a reflection of Hemery-era Buffy (the ditzy "Spordelia" cheerleader days). Harmony's friendship with Cordelia and her fate at the Mayor's Ascension are also things to see for AtS. Harmony fluctuates between the shows fairly evenly.

Don't get turned off on Buffy because of Sanctuary.

The movie, "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer", was made in 1992. Joss wasn't happy about certain aspects of it. The T.V. series started in 1997 and is very different; particularly in tone and the vampire rules. The Pike and Lothos stuff is all canon (there was a change to the death of Merrick), but about the only thing about the Hemery years that is ever mentioned in BtVS is that Buffy burned down her former school's gym, Angel saw Buffy being called outside of Hemery by Merrick/staking Robert Berman/crying while her parents argue and Buffy knew Billy Fordham (none of which appear in that movie). Also, Buffy and Merrick were recast.

There was an attempt to make the show and movie mesh with a comic called "The Origin", but that, too, is a complete mess (it still makes canon errors like the senior prom and the way the vampires are depicted--they're green and make the movie vampires look tasteful). The gist of the origin story is there, though. The rest of the comics that feature Pike chose to use Luke Perry's appearance rather than the gray-haired guy from The Origin.

There's a whole line of year 1 comics that fill in 1996 and the days before Welcome to the Hellmouth for Buffy, Angel, Pike, Whistler, Joyce, Hank, Dawn, Lilah, etc... Not officially canon, but they are probably some of the best comics written in the expanded universe. There are canon comics, however (season 8, After The Fall, Fray, Tales of the Vampires, Tales of the Slayers, The Origin, etc...). Some of those early comics were atrocious (particularly in keeping with canon), but the later ones had sparks of brilliance and followed canon. A few were written by show writers like Espenson and Petrie and actors like Marsters and Benson.
                    Last edited by NileQT87; 23-11-08, 01:51 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                    "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Originally posted by NileQT87 View Post
                      Stop watching AtS for a moment and try to watch at least the first 3 seasons of BtVS... It should fill you in on Angel's backstory a bit (particularly regarding Angelus).
                      I have to agree with this advice. Pay no mind to anyone who says Buffy's the 'girls show.' Your appreciation for AtS will be significantly enhanced by seeing where he (and Darla, in particular) came from. I doubt you'll be able to stop at the end of S3, either.
                      Cordially,
                      Amuk

Addicted to Buffy

Comment

jedi, I too envy your experience of watching it all for the first time. That is such a great place to be.

I have to agree with everyone who says to go back and watch Buffy 1-3 (AT LEAST). My interpretation of the "Angel is a guy's show/Buffy is a girl's show" argument:

From a simple audience perspective, if I were a producer marketing the shows, this statement is entirely true. Now, it has nothing to do with the fact that Buffy stars a woman and Angel a man. It has everything to do with tone and storytelling. Angel, on the whole, has more action and more humor than Buffy (or at least as much as Buffy seasons 1-3). It is a fact that these elements appeal more often to men. Though both shows have extremely involved character moments, Buffy is more ruled by the arc of emotions. This reason alone makes it more geared towards females.

I'm not trying to stereotype, I'm just looking at it from an executive perspective. If I was an ad agency and I had two ads to run, one for a beard trimmer and one for moisturizer, well, beard trimmer is going on Angel, moisturizer on Buffy. I think that explains the aforementioned argument.

All this said: Buffy is not just a show for women, and Angel is not just a show for men. Both series have plenty of characters and themes that appeal to both genders. And you should watch both of them!
                        You've got to get behind the mule in the morning and plow.

www.myspace.com/brettknickerbocker

Comment

I'm going to disagree with those telling you to stop and watch Buffy this instant. You're deep into Angel and loving it, no reason to stop. The show gives you enough backstory to enjoy it. You can watch Buffy later to fill in the gaps. And I definitely recommend that you should. But I'd keep watching Angel since each season got more self contained and separate from Buffy than the season previous.

As far as the vampire hunter. You will learn more...a lot more later in the show.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

In fact, if you remember in The Trial, you even got the name of that particular vampire hunter.

Angelus: This man, Holtz, how does he keep finding us?
                            He has a beautiful deep voice, a great goatee and a nice jacket. Darla might also return someday with a little surprise.

One of my favorite Holtz idiosyncrasies for those in the know: http://www.ireland-information.com/d...ghthenight.mid
                            Last edited by NileQT87; 23-11-08, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks all. I put buffy on my xmass list to give it a try. Who know maybe I am wrong and will like it. I went back and checked and holtz is the name they mention. It was an odd episode with no Darla that I just watched. The world is going to end and angel and the host go looking for this guy who tries to stop time and stops the world. It was a good one don't get me wrong, it was just odd and a little out of place. Seems the angel gang is doing ok with out Big A.

Comment

Ah, Happy Anniversary. Not the best episode, but the Lorne/Angel interaction is priceless.

Don't worry about Darla. There will be a few more surprises left from her. If there's anything about Darla, it's that you just can't get rid of her. She always comes back.

She did pretty well for a character who started out as yet another reflection of Buffy (ditto with Cordelia)... or what Darla perceived of Buffy in order to measure up to her to win back Angel. Like Angel and Spike, Darla was another character that wasn't supposed to last. Darla originally was supposed to die in the first episode as a nameless Catholic schoolgirl vamp--instead she gets splashed by holy water and runs away. Angel was supposed to be the mysterious deliverer of information and disappear. Spike was supposed to die from the fallen church organ.

BtVS and AtS are more similar than you're giving them credit for. Two sides of the same coin. They work both separate and together, but together is a more complete and richer experience (and that goes for both sides of the foot-draggers).
                                Last edited by NileQT87; 23-11-08, 03:39 PM.

Comment

I always heard angel was more for guys but I plan on checking out buffy now. She just seems so cold when she is on the show. What she says to faith when faith tries to say sorry was just no feelings in it at all. They should have made more caring and more willing to forgive. That is why I like angel. He has true hero form. Buffy just seems angry all the time and like she is trying to bring angel down. Can't even imagine the two of the togeather that's for shore. Cordy would be a good one to hook him up with.

Comment

It's a big loss when you missed the Buffy episodes about Faith, if you saw those you would know that;

Spoiler:
                                    Buffy tried to be Faith's friend and gave her many chances. But Faith tried to frame her for murder, almost killed Angel and Faith switched bodies with Buffy and turned Buffy (in her body) in so Buffy could pay for all her crimes. Meanwhile she lived Buffy life (sleeping with her boyfriend, going out with Buffy's friends, do mother/daughter stuff with Buffy's mother). Buffy had a reason to be really angry. On the other side, I think that Buffy was way out of line when she was dealing with Angel. But Buffy isn't an unlikable person. (at least in the first seasons of BtVS, she gets colder towards the end.)

But I agree, if you only watch Ats, Buffy will never be your favourite character (or you must hate Angel). For some reason the writers made Buffy quite a terrible ex-girlfriend while Angel is still very caring and he does everything for her.
                                    Last edited by Nina; 24-11-08, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theimmortaljedi View Post
                                      I always heard angel was more for guys but I plan on checking out buffy now. She just seems so cold when she is on the show. What she says to faith when faith tries to say sorry was just no feelings in it at all. They should have made more caring and more willing to forgive. That is why I like angel. He has true hero form. Buffy just seems angry all the time and like she is trying to bring angel down. Can't even imagine the two of the togeather that's for shore. Cordy would be a good one to hook him up with.
                                      It's really quite interesting to see the viewpoint of someone who's only seen AtS on this. I definitely see where you're coming from, but it's still strange.

I'll be very interested to see you revisit this thread once you've seen Buffy.
                                      Cordially,
                                      Amuk

Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
                                        I'm going to disagree with those telling you to stop and watch Buffy this instant. You're deep into Angel and loving it, no reason to stop. The show gives you enough backstory to enjoy it. You can watch Buffy later to fill in the gaps. And I definitely recommend that you should. But I'd keep watching Angel since each season got more self contained and separate from Buffy than the season previous.

As far as the vampire hunter. You will learn more...a lot more later in the show.
                                        Oh agree. Even though I never was a huge Angel fan, I do think it would be alot more interesting with out seeing Buffy. You get alot less bagage with these characters, the only thing that might give you trouble is when Spike shows up in season 5. And just season 5 in general.

Season 2 is by far my favorite all thanks to Darla. Julie Benz is one of those actors that just can't do wrong. I really would have liked her in more episodes for sure, but when she returns in season 3, her FIRST apperance in season 3, I just stood up and calpped for her.

Darla = Epic.

Comment

Working...
                                        X