Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And here we go again ...

is Angel:Aftermath canon?

The first reactions are already popping up on the internet, people who refuse to see Aftermath as canon. Kelley Armstrong already said that the story will be approved by Joss Whedon. Isn't that just like ATF?

I'm not on a quest to make it not canon, because every comic published in this series, is for me canon (ATF, Aftermath and whatever comes next). I just want to know if this is the same deal as with AtF ...
    Last edited by Nina; 11-11-08, 01:58 PM.

If it's approved by Joss Whedon, it's canon. It's a official continuation to an official canon series, so yup, most certainly official in my opinion. No doubt about it. I think the majority of people will see it that way as well.

I guess it's the fact Joss had no part in it whatsoever that might be preventing it for some people, but he's stamped his approval on it, therefore to me, it's pretty clear it's canonical.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

That are my thoughts as well, but when I saw people who believe that ATF is canon but dismiss Aftermath as canon, I was a bit confused.

Comment

Half the time Joss had bugger all to do with the day to day running of AtS but that didn't mean it was to be seen as anything less then BTVS.

Frankly I get sick and tired of the 'Is it canon' comments that I see at places such as Whedonesque. Who cares? Why let whether it's canon or not get in the way of a good tale?

Comment

Originally posted by sueworld View Post
          Who cares? Why let whether it's canon or not get in the way of a good tale?
          Lots of people care, because some of us either aren't interested in non-canon stories at all, or we want to know which ones are actually part of the story and which ones are "imaginary" stories (to borrow a phrase from the '60s Superman comics. I can read a non-canon story and even enjoy it if it's well-written, but I draw a line between "reality" within each fictional 'verse and stuff that's pulled out of left field because someone thinks a (for instance) Buffy/CSI crossover would be "cool". And so long as the creator is alive, "canon" doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with what certain fans may or may not like (if Joss wrote or approved a Buffy/CSI crossover and defined it as canon, it wouldn't matter whether I liked it or not.) So, yeah. "Canon" matters for lots of people.
          "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

Even Joss said he'd change the story he'd created in the comics If a live action spin off was in the offering. So nothings written in stone it seems.

At the end of the day I'd rather read a good story well written and true to the spirit of the parent show, then a load of silly nonsense thats supposedly canon.

Comment

I'm one of the people who cares if it's canon. If I want to read good stories in the spirit of the show, I read good fanfic. I read the comics to find out what happens to the characters I love.

On the other side, I've lots of trouble with people who need Joss all over the comics to call it canon. If he declares that it's canon, I'm happy.

Comment

I'm one of the people who cares if it's canon. If I want to read good stories in the spirit of the show, I read good fanfic.
                So you're not getting that element from the comics then?

Comment

I prefer reading stories than comics, so if I just wanted to read good stories I would go with the fanfic. I don't say that the stories in the comics are not good, the most issues are very well written and I love the story in the Angel comics. But I'm not a comic fan myself.

Comment

I'm guessing too, that Joss's the god.
                    sigpic
                    banner by litzie avatar by diane

Comment

Even Joss said he'd change the story he'd created in the comics If a live action spin off was in the offering. So nothings written in stone it seems.
                      That's if he had to, which IMO he'd have to be very un-creative to accomplish. But I agree, canon is fluid it can change with a snap of Joss' finger, right now he could say season four wasn't canon and it wouldn't be, IMO only he has that authority.

At the end of the day I'd rather read a good story well written and true to the spirit of the parent show, then a load of silly nonsense thats supposedly canon.
                      I know what you're referring to here and I won't touch that *BUT* the reason canon is personally important to me is because I like to know what's an official continuation of a story and what's not. For two reasons mainly;

The Money: Money is tight sometimes and I'd rather spend my money on an official continuation than a great written fanfic, which is basically what a non-canon comic is. The same way I'd rather spend my money on the DVDs for the televised seasons than a non canon comic, it's official, it's what is actually recognised as happening to the characters so I think for better or worse, it's money more well spent.

What's real and what's not: A story may be great, if 'After the Fall' hadn't have been canon it'd still be a fantastic story. *BUT* I want to know what's official as part of that character's journey and what's not, because on boards such as these we discuss the characters and their journeys and when they're heading ect. And you only do that with official stuff, it's why 'After the Fall' and Buffy Season Eight have these sub forums and why other comics such as 'Spike Asylum' ect, don't, even though a lot of people thought they were a very good read. No one recognises (or the vast majority dont) 'Spike Asylum' and what happened to Spike in that issue as an official part of his journey, you never see anyone bring it up in discussions about his character, and ultimately that's what's important to me, what I can and can't discuss in the grand scheme of things.

And you see it now, you can see season eight and 'After the Fall' talk creeping into other un-related threads as well, more and more these things are creeping into discussions about characters and events in other sections of fanboards, at the end of the day that's because they've been sold as *what really happened* and that stamp of approval makes people recongise them. Some people don't, but that just means they've dropped the series that's all, because if the shows creator says it's canon than it's canon, wether we hate it or like it.. I'd certainly wish some of s7 wasn't canon

Not being canon doesn’t mean a story can’t be fantastic, it doesn’t at all, but in reality it means discussing one comic over the other, I can’t get a lot out of a comic I know I can’t attribute to a character’s journey and characterisation because it isn’t recognised as really happening.
                      Last edited by vampmogs; 10-11-08, 12:56 AM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

No one recognises (or the vast majority dont) 'Spike Asylum' and what happened to Spike in that issue as an official part of his journey, you never see anyone bring it up in discussions about his character, and ultimately that's what's important to me, what I can and can't discuss in the grand scheme of things.
                        I think thats mostly due to the fact that most 'hard core' Spike fans don't like the comics much and quite frankly don't take any of them seriously.

The same way as I see discussions on places such as lj that totally ignore both season 8 and AtF. Whether some like to hear it or not, for some Buffy ended with Chosen and AtS with Not fade away.

Comment

If not for the minimum characters per post, the answer would just be... "yes".

Anything contrary to "yes" is erroneous. Only Joss decides what's canon in the Buffyverse, fans have zero voice on the subject, nor should they, nor do they in any other series of fiction. The storyteller alone is the master of the tale.

One can enjoy fanfic... no reason not to. But when people get together to argue about what relationships were the best, what fights were the best, etc, the canon is the subject matter they're talking about. And that includes Season 8 of Buffy, "Angel: After the Fall", and will include Season 9 of Buffy, and "Angel: Aftermath".
                          sigpic
                          Banner by LRae12

Comment

I think thats mostly due to the fact that most 'hard core' Spike fans don't like the comics much and quite frankly don't take any of them seriously.
                            Which means absolutely nothing as to whether or not they're canon.

The same way as I see discussions on places such as lj that totally ignore both season 8 and AtF. Whether some like to hear it or not, for some Buffy ended with Chosen and AtS with Not fade away.
                            Yeah, well, whether those people like it or not, they didn't. People can ignore the continuations all they want, but as far as to whether or not they're canon, that means exactly zero.
                            "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

It's canon of course, but whether everyone has to follow and read them is another matter entirely.

Comment

It's canon of course, but whether everyone has to follow and read them is another matter entirely.
                                Agreed. That's my stance on it really. You don't have to follow them anymore than you had to keep watching after s3, or after s5, it doesn't mean what happens after isn't canon it just means you chose to bow out and like to think of whatever time you left the series, as the end of the series *for you.* I think it's Sosa who said she knows people who refused to watch after s5, I'm sure there's many who haven't watched since the Highschool era, and obviously there's people who haven't followed the comics.

I think it just rubs people up the wrong way when people say "I don't care it's not real" as much as it would someone saying that about something that happened on TV, because it's not up to them really that's up to Joss and Joss alone. It's just up to them wether or not they want to keep up with it or not.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I think some of the confusion was due to the new writer's attitude toward whether fans will like her writing as opposed to Lynch's. She made a comment about - and I paraphrase - "If they don't like it they can just pretend it never happened." Which may just be her attempt at downplaying her part in a very important part of the Angelverse.

I am a little concerned with what her writing style will be like. Will she have Spike's "voice" down as well as Lynch does? And the other characters as well? Lynch is a good writer where Angelverse is concerned. I don't know much about this writer's Angel background.

But from what I could understand - yes - this is supposed to be canon.
                                  -TP<3
                                  "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                                  - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                                    I think it just rubs people up the wrong way when people say "I don't care it's not real" as much as it would someone saying that about something that happened on TV
                                    It's a bit different in this case, because of the different medium, the time-gap between Season 7 and Season 8, and the fact that the series was originally supposed to end in Season 7 and there were no further plans for it at the time (so Seasons 1-7 are self-complete).

This was all put into a new perspective for me recently, because of a sequel that's planned for one of my old loves, Phantom of the Opera (the stage musical). Now, that whole fandom (literally no exceptions that I've seen) is prepared to dismiss the sequel as canon, because the original has the most natural, cathartic, perfect ending, and it's absolutely self-complete. Furthermore, Phantom, just like Buffy, was a product of a collaboration, and its creator was not solely (maybe not even mostly) responsible for its success; in which case the missing ingredients can change the whole feel of the work (Joss Whedon without Sarah Michelle Gellar or David Boreanaz; Andrew Lloyd Webber without Hal Prince or Maria Bjoernson). Another good example are the universally disliked Star Wars prequels.

General statement: If sequels or prequels come along years after the self-complete main body of work, and if they are in a different medium or with a radically different creative team, and if most or all of the fandom refuses to view them as canon... are they canon? And at that point, does it even matter if they are?

(I do consider Buffy: Season 8 and Angel: After the Fall canon, because I think they have more or less retained the spirit of the televised series, and because, unlike Webber's and Lucas's new creations, these are a work of love, not greed. However, if Joss crosses a line -- which I don't think he will, but hypothetically speaking -- I will also throw everything off the window without losing much sleep over it, just like I've done a priori with the Phantom sequel. Joss said himself that "those who don't want to accept the series, don't have to".)

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

Originally posted by Enisy View Post
                                      It's a bit different in this case, because of the different medium, the time-gap between Season 7 and Season 8, and the fact that the series was originally supposed to end in Season 7 and there were no further plans for it at the time (so Seasons 1-7 are self-complete).
                                      I don't see that as any different than the hiatus between "The Final Problem" and "The Adventure of the Empty House" in the Sherlock Holmes canon. Same author, and a direct pickup of the storyline.

Originally posted by Enisy View Post
                                      This was all put into a new perspective for me recently, because of a sequel that's planned for one of my old loves, Phantom of the Opera (the stage musical). Now, that whole fandom (literally no exceptions that I've seen) is prepared to dismiss the sequel as canon, because the original has the most natural, cathartic, perfect ending, and it's absolutely self-complete. Furthermore, Phantom, just like Buffy, was a product of a collaboration, and its creator was not solely (maybe not even mostly) responsible for its success; in which case the missing ingredients can change the whole feel of the work (Joss Whedon without Sarah Michelle Gellar or David Boreanaz; Andrew Lloyd Webber without Hal Prince or Maria Bjoernson). Another good example are the universally disliked Star Wars prequels.

General statement: If sequels or prequels come along years after the self-complete main body of work, and if they are in a different medium or with a radically different creative team, and if most or all of the fandom refuses to view them as canon... are they canon? And at that point, does it even matter if they are?
                                      Well, "Phantom" (the musical) is based on a novel (or, possibly, one of the movies which were, in turn, based on the novel,) so it's really not the original work to start with. So, from that standpoint, I can't even see the original musical as canon to anything but itself, and don't see how any sequels to the musical could be anything other than "derivative works".

Comment

Seriously, when the musical itself is a bastardization of another medium the entire concept of "canon" becomes kind of moot. The concept of "canon" is pretty ridiculous in the first place, really. The story of Buffy will outlive Joss, and it will outlive the current generation of fans, so all of Joss' proclamations about what is and isn't canon, and all of our quibbling will mean nothing when the third or fourth generation of fans declare the movie and the comic books to be canon, while those silly television shows amount to nothing more than a whole bunch of studio meddling.

Comment

Working...
                                        X