Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel After the Fall: Issue #13 Preview Pages

Hey guys

Here's a preview for Issue #13 of Angel: After the Fall that will be coming out this Wednesday.. finally!

http://issuu.com/idwpublishing/docs/...70&layout=grey

Great stuff, looks like it'll be another fantastic issue.

Vamps

~ Banner by Nina ~

Great, I can't wait to read the whole issue. I had some problems with reading Spike's monologue but to be honest, I'm not very interested in Spike right now, I want to read about Angel. But did he say that Connor is the the second best brawler? Does that mean that Connor became stronger than Angel and Spike. Because Illyria is probably numbr one, or does see Spike himself as number one?

The art was fantastic, Why can't Mooney stay? The guy is fantastic.
    Last edited by Nina; 22-10-08, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
      Great, I can't wait to read the whole issue. I had some problems with reading Spike's monologue but to be honest, I wasn't really interested in Spike right now, I wanted back to Angel. But did he say that Connor is the the second best brawler? Does that mean that Connor became stronger than Angel and Spike. Because Illyria is probably numbr one, or does see Spike himself as number one?
      I must admit I was anxious to get back to Angel/Cordy and even the Connor/Gwen stuff more as well but I suspect the Spike time is heading somewhere with the slayers.

In regards to the "second best" remark, well I've already seen one person interpret it as Spike saying he's the number one, which would be very Spike-like to say, though as you point out, incorrect. Illyria would be number one, so Spike's putting Connor before himself or doing his usual "I'm the big bad" swagger routine. And as human Angel’s out right now, though I can’t remember, does Spike know his human condition? Yeesh, unlike season eight the ‘After the Fall’ stuff goes right outta my head sometimes, I need to re-read.

The art was fantastic, Why can't Mooney stay? The guy is fantastic.
      Agreed, he was pretty great. I loved the close up of Spike puffing his cigarette it was fantastic and looked a lot like Spike watching Angel from the rooftop in ‘In the Dark.’ Gunn’s shocked expression was also superb.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Spike doesn't know yet, if I remember correctly; Brian wrote a scene between Angel and Spike where Spike finds it out. If that's a scene like the last scene in 'Damage', I'm a very happy Nina.

And the new army, how are they going to survive that?

Comment

This is looking great. Spike gets the best punchline, in "Brilliant, but only if you promise I'll also be thrown off a scyscraper into crap." Hee. And as can be expected, given my inclinations, I have a real soft spot for the "You think this will stop me? I survived slayers!" -- "I didn't. Yet here we are." exchange. (And he leaves one group of girls to get stuck with another. It's his curse, heh.)

Can't wait for the conclusion of the Angel/Cordelia interaction here: one, because Issue 12, along with You're Welcome, was the most I've ever liked Cordelia's character and her relationship with Angel (both of which generally aren't big favourites of mine), and two, because I still think she's the real deal, despite Angel's apparent reservations.

Also, one person on Whedonesque was frowning about the "company softball team" line, but I don't mind upping the stakes when it comes to plans and armies -- we are approaching the endgame here, after all.

I like the art, and I'm back to hating the colouring. Meh. I'd love to see the black-and-white versions of Urru's and Mooney's issues sometime; I bet they were a zillion times better than the final product.

Originally posted by Nina
          Spike doesn't know yet, if I remember correctly; Brian wrote a scene between Angel and Spike where Spike finds it out. If that's a scene like the last scene in 'Damage', I'm a very happy Nina.
          Has Brian said so? I don't remember that. I just remember him saying that there's a really great Spike-Angel scene coming up that's, like, life-changing, for both of them.

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

I'm not sure, I didn't look it up and maybe more than one quote blurred together is a complete new quote. But I'm pretty sure that Spike doesn't know yet.

Comment

I had a little problem understanding the Spike scene. I was confused as to what was happening at first. As for the rest, I thought Wesley's line at the end was the best and most intriguing.

I'm glad Angel was questioning the reality of the vision and Cordy herself. I can't see Angel not questioning anything to do with WR & H.

Comment

Loved this! Spike was spot on and bad ass. I loved the nod to Connor being the strongest fighter behind Illyria. Loved Spike's line about not surviving Slayers, something he seemed kinda proud of. Kinda a big moment for Spike, considering how much of his persona was built on being the Slayer of Slayers. Cannot wait for this issue!

Comment

Originally posted by XavierZane View Post
                  Loved this! Spike was spot on and bad ass. I loved the nod to Connor being the strongest fighter behind Illyria.
                  I took that as an implication that Connor was the strongest fighter behind him. Would be a typical Spike comment to make, even if he didn't really believe it.

Loved Spike's line about not surviving Slayers, something he seemed kinda proud of.
                  And that I took as a reference to, well, Buffy. *g*

Cannot wait for this issue!
                  Same here! *bounce*

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

Yeah, I thought Spike meant himself, too. Of course, on spec, I'd give the Destroyer 3:2 odds over the Big Bad in a stand up fight. I think Connor is in the bad-ass domain slightly less than a Slayer but still more than a vampire. He is, at the least, every bit Angel and Spike's equal in a fight.

The "not surviving" Slayers is definitely a reference to Buffy and, to a much lesser degree, possibly Dana, who may not have made him love's bitch, but did make him *her* bitch

I'm really hoping that we aren't going to see part of the issue spent reenacting "Damage" with the Slayers being "it's Spike! Kill him!" and that they instead get right into the good fight and accept Spike on the same ad hoc basis that Buffy accepted Angel in "The Wish" -- he let them out, he's not Gunn, it's good enough for now.
                    sigpic
                    Banner by LRae12

Comment

Eh, if you asked him he'd probably say he meant himself, but he really meant Illyria. Honestly, my initial reading was that he meant himself as well, but we all know Illyria is by far the best fighter in hell so I decided to just go with the truth rather than the Spike-ism.

As for the "not surviving" line, I took it to mean a combination of his relationship with Buffy, his death so save the world, save Buffy, and save the Slayer line, and his encounter with Dana. What I mostly took away from it though, whatever the meaning, is that he's kinda transcended himself. He can glibly joke about not surviving Slayers and still kick ass, whereas his entire created Spike persona for most of his unlife focused around being one of the few who could survive Slayers.

Comment

I wouldn't think of Connor as on equal fighting grounds to Angel or Spike. As Angel and Spike are far evenly matched and Angel more or less kicked Connor's ass in their encounters. He'd be better than Angel now as Angel's human, but when Angel's a vampire, nuh uh. Angel even kicked Connor's ass in 'Spin the Bottle' whilst having no memory of technique or learning his skills.

I think it's likely Spike was talking about himself even if it is bullshit, we all know Illyria is the strongest fighter. It'd be hard to imagine Spike putting Connor before himself with all his swagger so I think he's just being Spike there.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I always saw Connor as one of the strongest fighters in the 'verse. Definitely stronger than Angel and Spike. He was called The Destroyer in the foulest Hell Dimension in existence. Our first encounter of him he sumultaneously takes on Gunn, Groo, and Angel, the three strongest fighters on AtS until Illyria was introduced. He beats down Gunn and Groo, and fights Angel to a stand-still. He also defeated Angel at the end of Season 3. He also beat Sahjhan in like two seconds.

My fanwank for why he's ever lost a fight at all is 1. he allows himself to be psyched out (Angel in Deep Down, Faith) 2. He's at his best fighting against things many times his size. You put him against a crowd, or a 3-on-1, or against that giant demon that preceded him out of Quartoth and he's in his zone. You put him 1-on-1 against something his size or smaller then he's still getting his sea-legs.

Anywayz, my list for strongest fighters in Hell-A at the moment would go:

5. Groo
                          4. Vamp!Gunn
                          3. Spike (Angel would tie for third, or maybe be fourth, if he as a vampire)
                          2. Connor
                          1. Illyria

Am I forgetting anyone?

Comment

1) Illyria
                            2) vamp-Angel
                            3) Spike
                            4) Connor
                            5) vamp-Gunn
                            6) Groo

This is more likely.

The issue can't come fast enough.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                            "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Working...
                            X