Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which side is Wesley on?

The blurb of isue 13 said the next thing;

Gunn wants to save Los Angeles. Angel will do anything to stop him. Plus, someone makes Wesley an offer he can't refuse, even if it means certain doom for everyone around him. Revelations, surprises, and battles to the death, in the lucky 13th issue of the official continuation of the Angel series.
    Also the line that Wesly is the reason that W&H will win, Wesley getting the choice between Fred and Angel ...

I'm almost sure that Wesley goes down as a hero and not as the person who betrayed his friends again. But I'm curious how the game will be played and what Wesley is planning and thinking. Also I think that the offer Wesley can't refuse won't be another offer from W&H.

Originally posted by Nina View Post
    I'm almost sure that Wesley goes down as a hero and not as the person who betrayed his friends again. But I'm curious how the game will be played and what Wesley is planning and thinking. Also I think that the offer Wesley can't refuse won't be another offer from W&H.
    What I like about the blurb is that everything is in the gray area. Gunn wants to save LA and Angel has to stop him which blurs the good guy/bad guy and Wesley with a choice that could doom everyone. Maybe his choice is one that will sacrifice a "good guy" in order to get everyone out of LA. All I now is that the choices that are going to be made by our heroes won't be pretty, but I wouldn't expect anything less from the Angel series!

Comment

Wesley-thinks with his head, acts with his heart

The problem with Wes is not that he starts out to betray anyone, he always acts for what he perceives as the greater good, the problem is that he is not always open to ask for advice. Watchers are trained to act from their own convictions, assuming that they are the best informed for combat decisions. The first thing Buffy had to do was to knock that out of Giles, she even from the beginning was a born leader. Watchers function better as advisers and confidants than leaders. Wesley as a child deprived of love and affection is radically devoted and addicted to those who give him that as an adult. He also seems to act to protect instinctively the most vulnerable and innocent of those around him. He stole Connor out of desperation, believing that Angel was on the verge of killing his own son. He merely threatened his robot "father" knowing that his father would not hesitate to shoot him, yet willing to drop himself and the staff over the edge of the building to save Angel, but the split second his father threatened Fred, BOOM, 9 bullets without a moment's hesitation. Angel functions better in the grey areas, weighing pros and cons and seeking the best situation for those he loves. Wesley can act pragmatically, but faced with a sudden urgent situation he will react instinctively to protect those he loves first, drat the torpedoes and full speed ahead. I think that the Partners are banking on that vulnerability to manipulate Wesley as their tool. Remember how Jasmine used him! The problem goes back to his childhood. His father, seeing Wesley's soft heart and passionate nature, tried to correct what he saw as weakness by emotionally abusing him, teaching him to repress his emotions. Wesley nevered truly learned how to deal with his own strong passionate nature and never learned the wisdom of seeking out the advice and compassion of friends.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovewesley View Post
        The problem with Wes is not that he starts out to betray anyone, he always acts for what he perceives as the greater good, the problem is that he is not always open to ask for advice.
        I think that's a perfect characterization of Wesley. From his time in Sunnydale, all the way through Angel, this is his biggest character flaw and also what makes him such an interesting character. That's why I said above that I think Wesley's decisions at the end of the comic will be one that deals with doing something "bad" for the greater "good".

Comment

Working...
        X