Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After the Fall in November

http://comicsnewsi.net/g/?mode=view&...ze=800&start=0

I saw this on the IDW boards, wanted to share it here.

Looks awesome. Something big, nasty and tentacled is squeezing Angel.

Spoiler:
    Could it be Illyria in her true form? Those tentacles and the eye are both blue...

Ohhh pretty. Alex Garner is amazing, I really love his covers.

Spoiler:
    And I think that you're right. I always suspected that the old ones would return after Wesley said that W&H lost control and something else took over. And it does have Illyria's colours and it does like her statue in her temple.

click
    Screencap Paradise

What would this mean for Fred, her soul is gone ... but she signed the contract with W&H ... maybe her soul is still there and can she have her body back?

and ANgel doesn't look very dead (yet) in that cover ... maybe undead but he is still there.
    Last edited by Nina; 19-08-08, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Spoiler:
      Or maybe team Angel figured out a way of truly seperating them?

Also, are we still using the term "Fang Gang"? I mean, it doesn't really fit with Angel being human and all... and "Gum Gang" doesn't have the same ring to it...

Comment

Spoiler:
        Also possible, but I'm not sure if that is a very smart thing to do ... but that never stopped Angel ... so it's possible.

and the blurb;

Angel: After the Fall #14
        Joss Whedon & Brian Lynch (plot) • Brian Lynch (w) • Stephen Mooney (a) • Nick Runge, Alex Garner (c)
        The truth has been revealed. Master plans are on the table. People are dying. And evil is winning. The forces of good take their last stand, but with certain death surrounding them, they’re going to have to do the unthinkable to win the day. The official continuation of the Angel series presses on in explosive fashion, courtesy of Joss Whedon, Brian Lynch, and Stephen Mooney.

yikes, masterplans and evil who wins ... November is too far away!

Wasn't the fang gang, the 4 vampires together? Darla, Angelus, Drusilla and Spike?

Angel's team doesn't have a real name ... I love Ministers of Grace (MoG) it's used by Strega from TWOP. It had anything to do with shakespeare I believe ... angels and the ministers of grace .... or something like that. I always call them Angel's team (or AI in the early years).

Comment

Well, no question at as to who that is on the cover...

Spoiler:
          It's definitely Illyria, in its true form. If you had any doubt, I pulled up this screencap from Angel 5.16 "Shells", in which Wesley points to a reference sketch of Illyria's statue in its dimension --

Illyria

No ambiguity, same creature -- it's Illyria.

Nina, you're thinking of "angels and ministers of grace defend us" (Hamlet, Act I, Scene 4).
          Last edited by KingofCretins; 19-08-08, 10:20 AM.
          sigpic
          Banner by LRae12

Comment

Spoiler:
            It doesn't look like she (it?, he?) is on Angel's side. All the human emotions must've left her body. Illyria is a much bigger threat than W&H ever was. I guess that Gunn is not longer the big bad in ATF around that issue.

Comment

Fantastic cover

Spoiler:
              And yeah I'm thinking Illyria as well. Which actually wouldn't be that much of a surprise. Didn't Joss say that the plans for season six were that Illyria would be the big bad? I've kinda been anticipating it all series after we got Vamp Gunn which was an original plan, and LA being sent to Hell which was another original plan.

I'm more interested in the blurb saying that the good guys will have to do the "unthinkable" to win the day. We're not thinking re-vamp Angel and give him a soul are we? ?Cause damn.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Spoiler:
                Re-vamping Angel would explain Runge's cover with all the versions of Angel. I don't know if I like Angel choosing the good fight above his dream to be human for the third time in 5 years. And how much more useful is a vamp Angel when you are fighting something like Illyria?

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                  Spoiler:
                  Re-vamping Angel would explain Runge's cover with all the versions of Angel. I don't know if I like Angel choosing the good fight above his dream to be human for the third time in 5 years. And how much more useful is a vamp Angel when you are fighting something like Illyria?
                  Spoiler:
                  The only thing I can possibly see that would make a re-vamp of Angel any different is if they worked it so he would no longer have the curse. I still find it shaky at best but it wouldn't limit him as much as being a vamp did.

For one thing he could be happier. Nothing aggravates me more than someone saying "Angel was so boring he's so lame how he mopes ect" Angel has to be broody! If he isn't he either gets a jab with a stake by someone like Fred making sure he isn't "perfectly happy" or he's constantly worried he could go over the edge. Give the guy a break! So he could be a bit happier but it seems kinda lame really.

I just hope Lynch surprises us.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I'm also hoping for a suprise.

Spoiler:
                    I would love it so much if they had the guts to keep Angel human. Not only was this the perfect way to use the shanshu ... it's also very interesting to see Angel use his brain and to depend more on others. It could actually be a great development for Angel, who always tries to do things by himself.

But if he is a vampire again, how do they get the soul back in his body? There is no time for Angelus. And it's not like vamp!Angel is needed like that. Spike, Groo and Connor have enough power. But I want Angel to get the curse back if he becomes a vampire again, it's part of him and I doubt that he will ever me perfectly happy again .. we saw in 'Awakening' that it's almost impossible to make Angel that happy.

I guess that I've to wait ...

edit:
                    On Whedonesque somebody thinks that the 'unthinkable' is about bringing Illyria back to fight on their side. I like that idea more than the siring Angel thing ... because that wouldn't make a big difference in the first place.
                    Last edited by Nina; 19-08-08, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                      I'm also hoping for a suprise.

Spoiler:
                      I would love it so much if they had the guts to keep Angel human. Not only was this the perfect way to use the shanshu ... it's also very interesting to see Angel use his brain and to depend more on others. It could actually be a great development for Angel, who always tries to do things by himself.

But if he is a vampire again, how do they get the soul back in his body? There is no time for Angelus. And it's not like vamp!Angel is needed like that. Spike, Groo and Connor have enough power. But I want Angel to get the curse back if he becomes a vampire again, it's part of him and I doubt that he will ever me perfectly happy again .. we saw in 'Awakening' that it's almost impossible to make Angel that happy.

I guess that I've to wait ...

edit:
                      On Whedonesque somebody thinks that the 'unthinkable' is about bringing Illyria back to fight on their side. I like that idea more than the siring Angel thing ... because that wouldn't make a big difference in the first place.
                      Spoiler:
                      I, too hope they keep Angel human. After reading the last issue I actually have a theory that they are going to turn back time or somehow erase the events of Hell-A. Mind you, I hate this idea, but I have a weird feeling it might happen. When Gunn pulls out that magic circle thing he says, "I'm supposed to save it for the bigger picture, part of something I've been cooking up-" and then he reverses all of Angel's healing. We know that Gunn has visions of the future and a plan to get out of hell, so he obviously stole that magic thing as part of the plan. It seems to have reversing powers, so my theory kinda plays on that. Also, earlier on when Gunn is telling Angel about the the fish and the slayers in the basement, he says, "I have a way out of this. It's all going to be how it was."

I really hope that doesn't happen because it would be a waste in my opinion. It's one thing to turn back the day in "I Will Remember You", it's another thing to turn back an entire series.

Comment

Spoiler:
                        I saw a quote about Joss liking Brian's first ideas for ATF, but it was too safe ... Joss wanted more changes. I think that if Joss wants more changes ... they wouldn't turn back time or change ATF in a dream or something like that. Because in that case, there would be no change at all.

And I doubt that Gunn wants to change time back to how it was in season 5. I think that he wants the team together again and fight evil, like old times. Like it was in season 2-4. Besides, I think that it will be Angel who saves the day and not Gunn. Although it would be a suprise if it was Gunn.

Maybe I try to hard to find hints that ATF will be more than just a dream or something like that. Because I agree with you. It is a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Vampire in Rug View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          Or maybe team Angel figured out a way of truly seperating them?

Also, are we still using the term "Fang Gang"? I mean, it doesn't really fit with Angel being human and all... and "Gum Gang" doesn't have the same ring to it...
                          For some reason, Angel's team used to get called the Ministers of Grace (or MoG) on TWOP. No clue why. But I'd call 'em Team Angel perhaps? Team Angel, World Police

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Spoiler:
                            It would definitely be a waste and you're right, they would have to go back a few seasons to get it like it "used to be". I just get this weird feeling with Gunn's comments and with the Illyria time slips, that they are playing with time in the comics. Whether that means getting placed in the future in the end or placed in the past, I don't know. I hope my scary, silly theory doesn't happen.

Comment

I'm with you, I like it when they have to deal with things I see happen. Big Mindwipes and turning back time feels a bit cheap. I like the idea that all the people in LA will know about demons and magic. It brings the team in a whole new situation.

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
                              For some reason, Angel's team used to get called the Ministers of Grace (or MoG) on TWOP. No clue why. But I'd call 'em Team Angel perhaps? Team Angel, World Police

Ministers of Grace is from Hamlet;
                              Angels and ministers of grace defend us!

edit:
                              Like KoC already said ... which comment I missed.
                              Last edited by Nina; 22-08-08, 02:24 PM. Reason: edit: And I totally missed KoC'edit ...

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                                Well, no question at as to who that is on the cover...

Spoiler:
                                It's definitely Illyria, in its true form. If you had any doubt, I pulled up this screencap from Angel 5.16 "Shells", in which Wesley points to a reference sketch of Illyria's statue in its dimension --

Illyria

No ambiguity, same creature -- it's Illyria.

Nina, you're thinking of "angels and ministers of grace defend us" (Hamlet, Act I, Scene 4).
                                WOW! Good sleuthing KoC!! That' exactly who it is!!

And I'm sticking with the A-Team. MoG sounds too D&D.

And the only ones ever referred to as Fang Gang was Angel and Spike. Gunn referred to them as that in NFA. Because it wouldn't be appropriate for the whole team as not all were vampires.

Spoiler:
                                I really don't have a problem with Angel becoming a vampire again because I have never accepted that this is a permanent state for him in the first place. I've always thought this was temporary and as soon as he returns to LA Real Time he's going to be the same Angel he's always been.
                                However, this time he will know for sure as a human he can't be the hero he needs to be. To fight the good fight he has to be more than human and that's a vampire.

"Will the Real Illyria Please Stand UP" is an AWESOME reveal!! WOW!

I think this is what has been happening to her the whole time she has been in Hell-A. Her "forms" can no longer hold her true self - she's either "Shriking Fred" or "Homicidal Illyria" and there's no happy medium. Her true form is pushed forward.

November is going to be GREAT!
                                -TP<3
                                "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                                - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

interesting thing... there's also an angel omnibus listed as coming on in november: http://comicsnewsi.net//g/albums/IDW...mnibus-CVR.jpg

Spoiler:
                                  ILLYRIA! there you are. love that drawing.

i wonder how illyria as a demon will feel about her stint in fred's body with all of her memories and memories of her feelings. will it react the way angelus does after angel experiences love? or will illyria retain a piece of fred even after it is back in its own body (the same way that even when the soulless mayor changed into olvikan, his remaining love for faith was his downfall). will illyria immediately try to destroy the things that were close to fred?

interesting stuff, imo.
                                  Last edited by NileQT87; 20-08-08, 07:26 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                                  "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

I'm just pissed I'm not going to get to read the issue straight away. I'll be globe trotting throughout november and december so I'm going to miss out on Buffy issue #20 and #21 as well as Angel #14 and #15, all of them are set to be pretty important issues.

I suppose the only bonus is that I'll come back in Jan with a lot of Buffyverse to catch up on

Spoiler:
                                    In regards to Illyria. I never actually thought it was Fred's memories that made her able to care for Wes or even Gunn. I think she just grew to tolerate them and was forced into a situation where she did develop feelings for them. She's never been fond of Angel though.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Where do you buy your copies? Because I can?t find them anywhere, whether Buffy or Angel, and I?m curious about them.

Comment

Spoiler:
                                        I want Illyria to find a way to get some of her true powers back. If Glory could find ways to seep out of a custom made body, then it shouldn't be too hard for Illyria to think of something. It must be full of magicks down there to keep LA like it is, maybe she sucks some of them up or something. I want her in the end to be not be good or evil, but fight for what she wants (which happens to currently be what the rest of the team wants) I'd love her to really sock it to W&H. It'd be great to actually see one of these ancient powers really show exactly why they are feared and why even after millions of years some people still followed her and she was frigtening enough to be written about in books etc. I'm sick of it being powers that can never quite let rip, so maybe if she fights for good she'll get the chance to really cut loose, like an evil powerful person would never be able to, due to that ending the storyline with everyone dead on the good team if that happened.

Comment

Working...
                                        X