Angel After the Fall #6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel After the Fall #6

I went to the comic book store to get Buffy and saw Angel #6 was out already! I thought it wasnt coming out til April 30, not that Im complaining but a month early? Anyone else get it?
    Just one rule... I don't want to date a twin... I've been traded before.

Originally posted by modifiedblind View Post
    I went to the comic book store to get Buffy and saw Angel #6 was out already! I thought it wasnt coming out til April 30, not that Im complaining but a month early? Anyone else get it?
    I haven't got my copy yet, no. But yeah there it was released earlier this month, and on the same day as Buffy which is freakin awesome. I think First Night begins later this month?

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Count me as someone who thinks that it is *not* awesome for both books to come out on the same day. I have my copy, but I've been working on 8.13 and the transcript.

As for "After the Fall"...

Spoiler:
      I liked Spike's part most of all. I liked the pencils particularly. Spike going, in minutes, from champion to retired hedonist, to champion again is pretty funny. And the Fred mystery -- again, it feels like it *is* Fred, not just Illyria doing her imitation. And I think it's very odd that Spike has a sudden selfish/possessive impulse toward her. Was he more smitten than we thought?

Connor's double-memory-getting-back is weird, but it's interesting to get his thoughts on having "three fathers" and comparing them. And the art of Cordy in the sex flashback actually looks pretty spot on, but it does stick out that the other panel doesn't show her with her eyes open.

Lorne's story is very surreal, a little bedtime story, but probably has the most exposition in it.

Honestly... a little disappointing, but just because it was easy to hope that every answer about the first night would come in one issue.
      sigpic
      Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
        Count me as someone who thinks that it is *not* awesome for both books to come out on the same day. I have my copy, but I've been working on 8.13 and the transcript.
        I bet you don't!! Bless ya! However - I will continue to sing your praises with the transcripts KoC - I was reading through issue#5 - the one I had to wait to get my comic for (and still ended up with one of the collector's covers at a discount because they didn't have the regular covers) - and reading through it I tried to think of how you describe each scene. I couldn't do it!! You are so "spot on" your descriptions of the scenes!

**We're not worthy...***

As for "After the Fall"... I liked Spike's part most of all. I liked the pencils particularly. Spike going, in minutes, from champion to retired hedonist, to champion again is pretty funny. And the Fred mystery -- again, it feels like it *is* Fred, not just Illyria doing her imitation. And I think it's very odd that Spike has a sudden selfish/possessive impulse toward her. Was he more smitten than we thought?
        I too loved the way he went from retired Champion to back into the fight. I really like the way Lynch takes Spike's old personality and his new personality and mix them together. That way he doesn't come off all sappy and totally OCC. Instead we have him continue to weigh the consequences of his conscience and make the right choice - even a little begrudgingly sometimes! It's very "human" to me. I can identify with someone who doesn't always want to do the right thng - but does it anyway - and even grouses a bit about it - and then appreciates the good feeling you get from making the right choice no matter what. Kudos for Lynch!

And are we looking at SpedIllyria? That one particular scene was really interesting to me - "Me and Fred - it's a meant to be kinda thing". I wouldn't be oposed! Fred's the best! And I think you are onto something that it's more Fred as Illyria and not Illyria as Fred! Maybe she's like a superhero? Fred=Clark Kent and Illyria=Superman?

So now we see WHY we are going to need the Spike: After the Fall spinoff. I'm already intrigued as to what has happened between he and FredIllyria!!!

The rest of the comic was pretty good. I liked the other stories. I guess it wasn't exactly the way I thought it was going to be written. But it was good.
        Last edited by ThePoet's<3; 04-04-08, 04:53 AM.
        -TP<3
        "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
        - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

[quote=ThePoet's<3;189746]I bet you don't!! Bless ya! However - I will continue to sing your praises with the transcripts KoC - I was reading through issue#5 - the one I had to wait to get my comic for (and still ended up with one of the collector's covers at a discount because they didn't have the regular covers) - and reading through it I tried to think of how you describe each scene. I couldn't do it!! You are so "spot on" your descriptions of the scenes!

**We're not worthy...***

SO not worthy! He's totally awesome to give such detailed, "see it in your head" transcripts! All hail the King!
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks, guys -- that really makes it worth the time to do it. The hope is always that it will capture the book enough for people who don't have it to join in the conversation and people that don't buy them to get hooked.

I'm working on the transcript today -- I thought I would do them both yesterday but, heh, no
            Last edited by KingofCretins; 03-04-08, 02:31 PM.
            sigpic
            Banner by LRae12

Comment

I liked Lorne's bit...reminds me of that "Tales of the vampires" story about guessing which person in the shop is a vampire. I like that mix of fairytale/storybook/cuteness and bleakness, and it fits Lorne very well, who operates very much on teh fairytale level: whether it's the LA fairytale that the glamour and the glitz will hide your troubles beneath sequins, or the reverse Wizard of Oz-ish story of his escape from his home world to his real "home" of LA. Though now I think about it, that's kind of the same fairytale.

Spike's story was fun (loved the bit where he starts to laugh over three panels, very Spike), Connor's was pretty scary (and enjoyed his little checking out of the women bit...he is a teenage boy after all, so even in an emergency, he might still notice the boobies). The fish was right though. There really were more interesting stories!

Generally, I'm finding the Angel comics to be consistently pacey and entertaining. They're not making me think much, but really enjoy them lots. I read Millar's "Kick Ass" immediately before reading this issue, which was an interesting parallel to Spike's story - the idea of the DIY champion. Though the kid in Kick Ass is much, much more disturbing than Spike.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

I liked the issue, my favourite part was Connor and his confusing father trouble. I loved the Cordelia panels, it looked like CC. And the Oepidus thing was fun, it's nice that he agrees that it was twisted. I also loved the checking out women panel, it's a nice little touch with reality.

I was right about Spike and him enjoying dawn ... I was a little 'ehhh' about Spike taking the elevator, he can jump ... I enjoyed his pages ... but it felt a little bit off and I'm not sure why.

I laughed a lot when I readed about Lorne, he has such a funny view on things and the dry humor is never a bad thing. It's also very Lorne.

Beta George was great as well, I like that fish ...

It was a nice issue but it didn't excite me like the last issue. And we don't see Angel back until July ... ? I hope that there will be some panels with him in one of the first night issues.

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                  I'm working on the transcript today -- I thought I would do them both yesterday but, heh, no

Don't mean to rush you but HURRY UP!!! I'm DYING here!

Comment

Working...
                  X