• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nixennacht
    Team Sanity
    • May 2009

Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
    Isn't that the one directed by Spaniard Amendabar?
    Yeah, that's the one.

Comment

• Ahm Shere
      Witcher
      • May 2007

I Love You, Phillip Morris - RENT

And I'm only saying Rent, because it is your typical Jim Carrey film. There are points in it when I just thought he was Fletcher from Liar Liar. Especially when he's being the 'lawyer'. He's just reusing his earlier characters and mixing them all into one. We've all been there, seen that, and, oh look. He's acting OTT again. What a suprise.

I know that you all know I have a slight obsession with Ewan McGregor. Just a little one... But to be honest, and I'm not just saying this, he was amazing as Phillip Morris. He plays "gay" well. Unfortunately. But his performance was believable and at the end, it's just so heartbreaking when...
      Spoiler:
      he thinks Stephen is dying of AIDS...saying that tearful goodbye over the phone...
      It was just so touching and I was streaming tears in the cinema watching it. When Ewan cries...I cry. Jim Carrey was miscast, but Ewan McGregor was spot on.

To be fair, I'd probably bump the Rent up to a Watch, simply because of Ewan's performance.

Overall a good movie, but would have been better with someone other than Carrey's tiresome OTT unfunny acting. Carrey...it was funny the first hundred times. Now it's just old.

sigpic
      ♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

Comment

• Cori
        Bad Boy Lover
        • Feb 2007

Brothers - WATCH!!!

I have seen this movie today and I was blown away. It is fantastic and very moving film about love, family, war, trauma, marriage and brotherhood. It is directed by Jim Sheridan and stars Tobey Maguire, Jake Gyllenhaal and Natalie Portman who are all excellent. As were the two little girls playing the daughters. The film is about two brothers who couldn't be more different: one is a Marine in the US army, a loving father and husband (Tobey Maguire) and the other one is a bit of a screw-up (at least that's what his dad keeps telling him) who just got out of prison (Jake Gyllenhaal). The army guy, Sam, has to go to Afghanistan where his helicopter is shot down. His family believes he is dead but actually he was been captured by the Taliban and they torture him. Meanwhile back in the US, the younger brother Tommy gets close to Sam's wife, Grace (Natalie Portman), and her daughters, almost replacing Sam as a father figure and starting to flirt with Grace who is in mourning for her husband. But just when she has started to come to terms with Sam's death, he returns back home and things get really messy.

Everyone who has a chance should go watch this brilliant film! It stays with you for a long time after you have left the cinema, really makes you think and it moved me incredibly.

Comment

• Ravynnia
          Comme un insecte fou
          • Jun 2007

I love Johnny Depp but he SUCKED as Willy Wonka.
          The attempt to make something closer to the book was a miserable failure. I hated the reduction of the Oompa Loompas to the single actor replicated by CGI . . .
          Entrer dans la lumi?re comme un insecte fou respirer la poussi?re vous venir ? genoux - Patricia Kaas

Comment

• Ravynnia
            Comme un insecte fou
            • Jun 2007

I had the opportunity to show good friends the 1990 film "Impromptu" with Judy Davis as George Sand, Mandy Patinkin as Alfred de Musset, Hugh Grant as Chopin & Julian Sands as Liszt -- very funny, very romantic, and an excellent intro to the feeling of the Romantic period for anyone of contemporary sensibility who finds it foreign territory . . .
            Entrer dans la lumi?re comme un insecte fou respirer la poussi?re vous venir ? genoux - Patricia Kaas

Comment

• sherrilina
              Sassenach
              • May 2007

How to Train Your Dragon--WATCH!

Just an extremely cute, well-written, and fun adventure movie, that is quite clever and enjoyable for adults, believe it or not! I myself was skeptical and had no interest whatsoever in seeing it before everyone told me to do so, and I loved it! The dragon alone is worth the price, he's just too adorable.... And the protagonist is delightfully snarky.

I didn't see it in 3D, IMO it's fine without!
              Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

• Cori
                Bad Boy Lover
                • Feb 2007

Sex and the City 2 - WATCH!

I saw this movie today and enjoyed it immensely, much more than the first movie in fact (which I found a bit disappointing to be honest). Of course it is completely unrealistic and ridiculous but it is also extremely funny and entertaining and I related to the characters much more than in the first film and I thought the tone of the second movie is more in line with the TV show than the first one. Fans of the TV show should definitely go watch this movie!

Comment

• Brendan
                  Cup Of Tea
                  • Oct 2009

Robin Hood - Watched!

I saw this movie couple day's ago and it was really entertaining, Cate Blanchett was outstanding in this film and Russell Crowe was good to, good action, fight scene were intense, it was an overall good movie, i would recommended to all.
                  Only one flaw, it took forever to get to the fight scene at the end.
                  Overall 8/10

Comment

• vampmogs
                    Slayer Supporter
                    • May 2007

I've seen a lot of movies lately;

Kick Ass - WATCH

This really was a fantastic movie. If you don't want to see an 11 yr old girl saying cu** as she massacres a whole bunch of people then I advise you don't see it. But really, it's part of the movie's charm. It's bold, daring, constantly entertaining, funny, poignant and a great commentary on comic book tropes/films. The pace is fantastic and you never get bored.

Remember Me - WATCH

This was a really decent film that promises good things for RPatz once the Twilight saga is over. He acted really well in this and Emily De Ravin was fantastic as well. It's a really touching movie about two people who have been through a lot of crap finding each other. But, honestly, the sweetest relationship in the entire movie is between Tyler (RPatz) and his little sister (played by Ruby Jerins) which is just amazing. The young actress who plays her is extraordinary and is going to be big one day. The ending was apparently really controversial *spoilers for ending*
                    Spoiler:
                    Tyler is killed in the September 11 attacks
                    but I thought it was handled really well and was right for the film. The ending made me teary.

Nowhere Boy - WATCH

This movie is about John Lennon growing up and he's played by Aaron Johnson, who's unfortunately a real prick in interviews, but he's absolutely amazing. He also played the main character in Kickass (see above) his ability to mimic accents is incredible. The movie is a lot of fun with some tragedy sprinkled throughout and all of the actors are marvellous.

An Education - WATCH

The movie stars Carey Mulligan and she's absolutely amazing in this coming-of-age story about a young teenager in the 60s who wants to lead a more exotic life. Dollhouse's Olivia Williams (Adelle Dewitt) is also fantastic in her role and the whole film is just pure class. The soundtrack is great, the writing is superb and I really loved 1960's London as a backdrop. It's quite a controversial story with this schoolgirl becoming involved with a much older man but it's handled well.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

• sherrilina
                      Sassenach
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by buffylover View Post
                      Robin Hood - Watched!

I saw this movie couple day's ago and it was really entertaining, Cate Blanchett was outstanding in this film and Russell Crowe was good to, good action, fight scene were intense, it was an overall good movie, i would recommended to all.
                      Only one flaw, it took forever to get to the fight scene at the end.
                      Overall 8/10
                      I have to disagree, I found it to be too long, and rather boring a lot of the time. I mean, I liked the historical aspects of it, and it was okay, but overall not exactly an outstanding film, IMO...

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

• doppelganger47
                        Hellmouth Tourist
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                        Kick Ass - WATCH
                        This really was a fantastic movie. If you don't want to see an 11 yr old girl saying cu** as she massacres a whole bunch of people then I advise you don't see it. But really, it's part of the movie's charm. It's bold, daring, constantly entertaining, funny, poignant and a great commentary on comic book tropes/films. The pace is fantastic and you never get bored.
                        i second that. awesome film!!! i thought it'd be just a typical all-out comedy at first (which i'm not really into), but finally decided to watch it, and it's full of surprises everywhere, lots of laughs, great action and even some sadness thrown in. Clarke Duke (from Sex Drive) is in it...and the guy who plays Fogel (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) in Superbad is also in it...so i thought Kick Ass would be a similar type of comedy to those two movies (which i didn't enjoy), but i was completely wrong.

also loved Nicholas Cage in it. i'm a big fan of his films in general, but had no idea he was in this (the only cast member i knew of before watching was Aaron Johnson), so it was a very pleasant surprise.
                        veronica mars: "i've got a kidney with your name on it, no questions asked."

Comment

• Brendan
                          Cup Of Tea
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
                          I have to disagree, I found it to be too long, and rather boring a lot of the time. I mean, I liked the historical aspects of it, and it was okay, but overall not exactly an outstanding film, IMO...
                          Yeah but it's my opinion!

Comment

• Heather
                            the AFAs are here!
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Cori View Post
                            Sex and the City 2 - WATCH!

I saw this movie today and enjoyed it immensely, much more than the first movie in fact (which I found a bit disappointing to be honest). Of course it is completely unrealistic and ridiculous but it is also extremely funny and entertaining and I related to the characters much more than in the first film and I thought the tone of the second movie is more in line with the TV show than the first one. Fans of the TV show should definitely go watch this movie!
                            I definitely second this! "Sex and the City 2" was absolutely fantastic, in my opinion. I never really watched the show (some episodes, here and there) but I had seen the first movie and, while I did enjoy it, I didn't think it was all that awesome (I thought it was long and drawn out and I couldn't relate to most of the characters). However, the sequel was a drastic improvement. Yes, it is the same length (two and a half hours) but this movie uses the time wisely and the stories flow excellently from start to finish so you ultmately don't realize how long it really was.

I agree that, of course, the movie would seem unrealistic to most people but I do feel like the stories in this movie were ten times more relatable and realistic than in the first movie. They were normal problems for abnormal people (but, then again, there ARE people who live lives like these in Manhattan so I guess it just comes across as abnormal and fantastical to those that haven't...oh, what I would give... ).

And if you're concerned about the amount of sexual content for whatever reason: there are two sex scenes, two shots of naked men, and one shot of borderline-bare boobs. However, I would like to note that one of the guys that was naked and in a sex scene is absolutely gorgeous.

So yeah, I DEFINITELY recommend seeing this movie to anyone who saw the first or any fan of theh series. It was hysterical and moving and very-well done!
                            wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

• Ehlwyen
                              • Feb 2007

I'll third you Cori and Heather! I saw Sex & The City 2 this weekend with some friends and had a wonderful time even though I had not seen the first movie or much of the series. I can't believe it was that long a movie because I was entertained the entire time. I have to say that I'm not really a fan of the characters or actresses but it still was a funny adventure.

And yes, Heather that one guy was super hot!

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

• sherrilina
                                Sassenach
                                • May 2007

Originally posted by buffylover View Post
                                Yeah but it's my opinion!
                                I know....but I was just giving mine. This thread is about discussing movies we've seen, in part so other people can read and judge if they want to see it, so I wanted to give an alternate opinion...

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

• CliCliR
                                  Library Researcher
                                  • Jul 2009

Toy Story 3 - An absolute WATCH!

I was so excited for this to come out and I was right to be! It was an amazing movie! People are probably like "oh no, ANOTHER sequel" (I was too for a long time) but this sequel was fantastic! And who doesn't want to be able to re-visit Woody and Buzz and co? This movie immediately pulled me in and kept me there and there was something in it for everyone (the theater was lol'ing so many times and I cried so much).

I wasn't huge into the 3D there but it wasn't terrible. I don't really like 3D much anyway though so It's probably just me
                                  But I'm still so excited about the movie, even now! It's just as much of a must as I've heard Inception is
                                  What if I wanted to break?
                                  Avatar by the amazing Buffylover
                                  [COLOR="Navy"] This is who I really am
                                  Member of the Buffyforums Welcoming Committee

Comment

Working...
                                  X